• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Voice feminization surgery for older trans women

Kasumi63

I know a lot of older women forego voice feminization surgery, but I'm seriously considering it. Any tips or suggestions? Or recommendations about places to have it done?  I'm reading up, too, of course, but I'm hoping to hear from some women with actual experience with this.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my voice surgery at the Haben Clinic, the one mentioned above, professionalvoice.org on November 3rd.

I hope you are doing well, and guess you’ll become a quick note writing expert in the coming weeks, as you resist taking while you heal.

Heh! You have that right. I am continually amazed at the instant understanding and patience of people when I point at my throat and shake my head while motioning "I can't speak".

Give me a couple of hours, I'll write up a comprehensive review of my experience at Haben's clinic. I should do this all in MS Word and save them. My previous was lost in the server crash.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)

• Susan R
    • Heather Nicole
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Querencia
    Newest Member
    Querencia

1. ChristinaAnne
      ChristinaAnne
      (38 years old)
    2. Erikka
      Erikka
      (72 years old)
    3. Guiseppe_Tartini
      Guiseppe_Tartini
      (33 years old)
    • Susan R
      Welcome @Beverley, Sorry for such a late reply. This thread was one that I missed but well worth the read. It’s a genuine pleasure to meet you.   This is the most astonishing (and fastest) of turnarounds I’ve read about here on our forum. Feel free to disregard any or all of my questions but I am curious about her incredible change of heart. Was there anything specific you know of that changed her mind? Had you provided her prior to this change…an article, statistics, a podcast, a movie, etc…? What led up to this presenting female to your spouse right before the change of heart?   Regardless of the answers, your wife sounds like an amazing person and has in time become a true ally for you becoming your true self. I wish you the very best on your continuing journey and look forward to reading about some of the highlights as they occur.   Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷
    • swallow
      Hi Aggie,   Absolutely.   I sent some pics to my sis.   I've been on hormones for two months almost and she was curious. She mentioned I look shaplier (Is this even a word)🤔   I mean the only thing that is outing me at the moment is the obvious male voice I employ   I don't think I look out of place with the girls if I kept my mouth shut...but I can't.🤭   So next step is to attempt to work on the voice again.   I'm fairly neutral in mannerisms, feminine in looks but masculine in voice.   Luckily for this show I found an entire women's bathroom on an upper level that was empty so I had it all to myself.🤫   ...otherwise I was worried about ruffling feathers in both camps as most of us are familiar with...😬   Just trying to be oneself and not affect others is such a hard thing.   I think the extra tipping point going full dress just helped them to decide how to take me in.   As the street artist said, being honest with how you see yourself and comfortable with your dress/expression is everything.😌
    • Heather Nicole
      I've been feeling bad about @LindaMarie. Maybe it's my imagination, but for awhile lately I've been getting the impression she's been privately dealing with some difficult things, not quite sure what.
    • Heather Nicole
      @LindaMarie:   "Runnin' with the devil" is a genuine classic (definitely a Van Halen fan here)!   The Amy Winehouse song (Rehab) is a phenomenal one too, that I suspect many trans people can relate to at least on some level, even if not always necessarily as a literal connection to the lyrics (or...sometimes, more literal). My first introduction to that song (and to any of Amy Winehouse's music for that matter) was from Rock Band...uhmmm...I want to say Rock Band 3? To this day, "Rehab" is still one of my absolute favorite songs to do vocals on in Rock Band. I like to think I'm not too terrible at it!
    • Susan R
      Ditto on this @Lydia_R… But better late than never. 😉 Glad you found us and decided to join us.   I really like your GT and her sage advice. She sounds like a “I’ll seize the day!” kind of therapist instead of “I’ll seize the day….well, maybe tomorrow” type. And you seem to have that same kind of motivation too. With transition, it can be so helpful because there are so many factors that can slow you down, or God forbid, get you completely off track.   Thank you for sharing a little of your backstory with us. I hope to see you around and learn more about you in time.   Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷
    • Aggie1
      My heart went thump thump when I read this! Loved it! One "small" step for Swallow, one giant leap for me!!!! Maybe one day, soon! For new I'm happy "being me" in groups out in public or on zoom. I'm a known entity to hundreds of folks in these groups, and I'm gradually metamorphosing, so I don't think it will come as a surprise to anyone when my attire gradually changes to fit the contours of my body and my mannerisms. Kind of like an adolescent, coming of age, I guess. 
    • swallow
      Many thanks...   Well...the art people were one thing but the production work crew and builders were another thing altogether.   I was a little nervous with them at first. Groups of men huddling around male chatter rather than working.🤨   And i think they were also understandably somewhat nervous with me.   But I think I carried on and issued efficient dissemination of orders and they took to me at least in terms of work efficiency.   The gender question became somewhat irrelevant as we managed to get the job done together regardless.🙂   As they saw instructions from me led to things getting done, I think all other questions with regard my gender were less of an issue.   At wrap of show one of them (A sweet gentleman from Belize) was dismantling an entire wall of beer can 12 feet high by himself...I offered to help him by getting on the ladder to pass down the cans higher up and speed up his process but he declined.   In some sense, they would not let me do the heavy lifting (Sexist)🤭   But also maybe he was afraid I would give him an unwanted upskirt since I was in my frock.😅    
    • VickySGV
      As another California Girl, our arts community is really a cool group of people as far as gender and acceptance things go, and they have eyes for appreciating us.  There are many Trans and Enby artists as well who put their stuff out for people to see and the artists to be seen themselves.  Sounds like you fit in with the group, and the ones I know in person are all so sweet and encouraging that you simply feel at home and completely natural.  Best of luck.
    • Susan R
      Congrats @swallow, It just goes to show you that as you become more comfortable with yourself, others around you follow suit.   I have a feeling that this is just the beginning of many more wonderful and exciting things to come. The art sector is a very affirming bunch overall. I am so happy for you and this confidence building experience you had. Thank you for sharing this uplifting update with us and may you have many more like it!   All My Best, Susan R🌷
    • VickySGV
      OK, so in California we have our own language, but I use the two terms quite often with no offense to the people I know, and they would tell me.  I would not like to hear it from a person using it to talk down to me but that is the exception and not the rule thankfully.  Be sure your use is to lift the  person up and not belittle them or talk down to them. 
    • Susan R
      Welcome @LV1Rose, It’s nice to meet you. As others have suggested, many of us here are elderly sapphic transgender individuals. As I approach 60, I would be included in that group by most…except for my bisexual leanings more than purely sapphic.   This is a wonderful place for doing just that. We’ve all have trials and tribulations and this forum really does seem to help me when the ‘you know what’ hits the fan. Hope to see you around!   Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷
    • Heather Nicole
      That's kind of new to me too, the idea of "hun/honey" being a derogatory thing (I date back to the 1980's, FWIW, so I guess that makes me relatively old).   To me personally, it sounds like the kind of thing that's not so much about "what" someone says, and more about "how" they say it. I mean, I can certainly imagine "hun/honey" being used in a derogatory way, but I've never known it to be inherently derogatory. But that's just me. Maybe it could a regional thing?
    • swallow
      Hi Everyone,   Don't really know where to post this...🤔   I've been so busy the last 3 weeks helping with an Art Fair in LA.😓   Its been ups and downs at the job but I was very happy my boss gave me the opportunity since aside from film production, I have zero experience in the Art world.🤫   In between, I've almost lost lots of money for her and almost compromised her because I Copied everyone instead of Blind copied.😣   But I managed to salvage the situations ...what I'd deem as taking a -crap- and coming out smelling like roses.🤭   During the Art show I found I was rather more in my element.😌   I was of course still employing a male voice and had soon established an effective control on the floor crew, started to whip things into action albeit still in a gentle non Alpha male feminine lead by example, organize and encourage manner.😊   But the girls in the office and everyone still gendered me as male and called me He or Sir.   Partly this was because I had told my boss that she should use whatever was more natural in terms of pronouns for both her and everyone-else and not make much issue of it.   Of course it still bothered me deep down.😔   Anyway come show days I got a bit more bold with my dress sense.   I had feminine clothing on the entire pre-production but I shed inhibition and started first to wear a frilly see through black blouse and waist high paperbag Khaki trouser on the first day. I elected for trousers since we went full day and into the night and I needed full mobility across the show floor.   But as the show days progress, I was assign partially to a more sedentary paced Door Bitch duty at the VIP lounge for some periods.   So I decided it was time for the dresses😬   Second day I worse a knee length black dress with tassles down the front and Khaki Maryjanes   Third Day I was back in a suit (Female cut)   Fourth day I went full Pink to match the Fuschia VIP Lounge with an ode to Molly Ringwold Pretty in Pink (Meets Korean style...as I was told by some Korean Gallerist)   Final day I had a deep green long dress with a lime green belt and sneakers plus a Retro short crop sand brown duster jacket.   Anyway on that day, I was busy trying to coral people into a talk at an Italian Gallery by a famous Italian Street Artist when my colleagues suddenly called me into the gallery.   I was wondering what emergency could have happened this time...   ...instead the artist then proceeded to point at a new piece of work (Featuring two frogs in suits graffitied)...and then announced that this new work was inspired by me being brave enough to be me.   It was rather touching.☺️   As the final last days progress, I noticed many of the Gallerist started to refer to me in the feminine as well, with 'What's up girl?" or if I was in with my female colleagues "here come the girls".   I even got a bouquet from the Lead painter who bought all the 'girls' flowers🤗   Of course there were still some floor crew who preferred to address me as "Sir" even if I was blatantly in a dress but it did not feel purposeful.   What to me felt interesting was how things turned when I forced the issue with the dresses.   I don't think my female colleagues were expecting me to come in in dress.   There was all their pre-opening night chatter about what they were each going to wear for the event but I wasn't asked and felt somewhat excluded.🙄   That I chose to wear blouse and pants kept any issue with me under lid.   But you should have seen the reaction the next day when I swooped in (all natural) in my black dress.   To her credit the floor boss immediately greeted me with "And how are you today girl?"   Anyway I seem to have made a mark on the little event with my dressing. Apparently I am more than on point and they loved the colour combinations felt I brought a spark to the proceedings.   Inside, I just felt I was being myself really. I would have liked to have had a more female range voice but I had been working with these people before meeting them in person over the phone in male voice so was unsure if I wanted to go female voice and throw such a strong curve ball at them (make it an unnecessary other issue from the work)   But they must have had somewhat of a shock anyway when they first met me in person with my long hair and quite obvious female clothing.😁   You should have seen the looks when I walked the floor in dresses.   Hopefully this is a positive strike for us all? I like to think so. Small steps forward.                    
    • Ticket For Epic
      I'd hate to have to drop that from my vocabulary.  Don't get me wrong, I would to keep from offending anyone but it would be disappointing.   I heard this from someone in their mid 20's, so perhaps it's newish in the younger crowd or perhaps just their local area.  Thanks for your feedback.
    • Carolyn Marie
      I've never heard that "term of endearment" to be considered a slur, whether aimed towards a trans person or a cis-person..  I've never seen it used that way in anything I've read or heard.  But I suppose anything is possible.   Carolyn Marie
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.