• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The things no one tells us about hrt.

Red_Lauren.

I've been on hrt for 11 months now. I've read a lot of things hrt will do, and what it won't do. I've experienced most of what I have read, and been disappointed I haven't experienced some things. 

I've experienced being way colder. The old me could sweat on a 20 degree day, now I just want to wear a Hoodie all day, and im still cold. How quickly the body changes with out you noticing. I went to put on a pair of Jeans the other day. Jeans I wore a few months ago. Yea they wouldn't get over my butt, and I have lost weight. 

The big one that I've never read about. That kinda shocked me. Was how I deal with people when I'm angry with them compared to before. As a guy it was literally f off and I would go get a cig. Then feel 100% better. Now I still do that, but always come back for round two. While I know that's not really strictly a female trait. I've seen far more woman do that then men. When I told me electrolysis lady, and my boss that. They both laughed heavily, and said welcome to woman hood. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamie68

• Jackie C.

• Ivy

• Red_Lauren.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

"Oh yeah, it happened that way!!  Gosh I forgot to tell you, it sounded so natural to do it that way"   Ha Ha Ha! 

I've noticed being colder (in Arizona, of all places!) at night and the different way my body smells. And after almost 11 months, I'm actually getting real curves--this one I hadn't noticed, but several friends have pointed it out to me. And, I find I'm a whole lot calmer than I used to be.  I'm told everyone experiences the effects of HRT differently and that it's a process. 

Jugs!

• Forum Moderator

Honestly they don't talk about the mental changes at all. Breasts. Fat redistribution. Sure.

Feeling cold all the time. Calmness. Emotions that English doesn't have names for? Changes to your scent, etc... Nah.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

It might sound kinda odd but i feel peaceful in myself and with my life.

Hugs,

Charlize

One thing I've noticed that I don't like is that I smell different down below. Not a good smell. I find myself washing up a couple times a day. I sweat a lot more than I used to. Hopefully this will change. I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke. I seem to smell it a lot since on HRT, even though there's no one smoking. 

I may be more forgetful also. My wife keeps telling that I'm breaking promises that I don't remember making. That could just be her misinterpreting stuff. It sure is frustrating. 

The body smell change sounds like higher pH. But I'm no auto mechanic. Hence the craving for base foods like...pickles?

I'm personally looking forward to transgirl poo with the parfum of soft, pink rose petals. 

It's gonna be great.

1 hour ago, stveee said:

The body smell change sounds like higher pH. But I'm no auto mechanic. Hence the craving for base foods like...pickles?

I'm personally looking forward to transgirl poo with the parfum of soft, pink rose petals. 

It's gonna be great.

Ha ha ?  me too. 

1 hour ago, Jamie68 said:

One thing I've noticed that I don't like is that I smell different down below.

I've noticed this as well, although it doesn't bother me.  Kinda reminds me of something I associated with my ex at the time.  I don't find it offensive though.  Actually a bit encouraging.

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Jamie68 said:

I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke. I seem to smell it a lot since on HRT, even though there's no one smoking. 

I don't either.  As you are picking up a scent that may not be there you might want to use a saline spray to keep your nasal passages moistened.  When I pick up odd scents that is typically the cause for me.  If it persists, definitely contact your doctor. 

1 hour ago, Jani said:

I don't either.  As you are picking up a scent that may not be there you might want to use a saline spray to keep your nasal passages moistened.  When I pick up odd scents that is typically the cause for me.  If it persists, definitely contact your doctor. 

I'll have to try that. Thanks ? 

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, Jamie68 said:

One thing I've noticed that I don't like is that I smell different down below. Not a good smell. I find myself washing up a couple times a day. I sweat a lot more than I used to. Hopefully this will change. I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke. I seem to smell it a lot since on HRT, even though there's no one smoking.

Enhanced sense of smell is a thing. The scent bulbs in your brain are developing and that means you get more nuance. This, as you have discovered, is not always a blessing.

Hugs!

2 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Enhanced sense of smell is a thing. The scent bulbs in your brain are developing and that means you get more nuance. This, as you have discovered, is not always a blessing.

Hugs!

It’s just adding to my already good sense of smell. Great ? 

5 hours ago, Erica Gabriel said:

And another thing. Not PG, but erections hurt. More reason for the ol’ chippity chop.

Yeah, I've been on HRT 9 months now. Full erections are a thing of the past. It all gets semi-hard except for at the base. Totally soft, like it has a built in hinge now. Doesn't hurt, but is uncomfortable. Went to doctor about it. He said it was normal and offered to give me a prescription to make it erect. I said, NO THANKS! 

Hope you didn't pee yourself reading this.?

2 hours ago, Jamie68 said:

Yeah, I've been on HRT 9 months now. Full erections are a thing of the past. It all gets semi-hard except for at the base. Totally soft, like it has a built in hinge now. Doesn't hurt, but is uncomfortable. Went to doctor about it. He said it was normal and offered to give me a prescription to make it erect. I said, NO THANKS! 

Hope you didn't pee yourself reading this.?

I think it’s a combination of shrinkage from HRT and fewer erections from reduced libido. The sensation is that of stretching it out beyond its new capacity. It still works (though it wants a raise).

I hope you enjoyed the bad pun and I’m peeing as I write this ?

1 hour ago, Erica Gabriel said:

It still works (though it wants a raise)

Yeah, everything still wirks the same. Just not erect.

• Forum Moderator
8 hours ago, stveee said:

It's gonna be great.

Oh i forgot to mention how nice this is!

?

Hugs,

Charlize

I really don't get why the emotional part isnt talked about more. Maybe because we as former guys don't know how to talk about emotions. Even when I'm with my female friends. I still don't really like to talk about them in front of them. 

The smell i noticed with in a month ot two of hormones. I was at work, and after got done. I didn't smell like a man any more, and we all know that smell. The supriseing thing is I smell more like a my ex down below now, and when I work out. My oder isn't as strong. 

Some one mentioned adult time. Yea 20 years of getting off the same old way dosn't work any more. Not complaining one bit. It still works fine, but there is no more quickies. I have to be in the mood, and really have to have ateast 1 hour now. I have noticed that it is more sensitive down there then before. Again not complaining. I will admit the end result is 100 times better now. This summer I was in the mood, and after a hour or so of foreplay. My legs shook, my back was arching, I let out some really loud moans, and I was short of breath after. I literally was done for after. Last thing I remember was catching my breath, and falling asleep with a smile, and my body still twitching a bit. 

The emotional changes for me aren’t too much of an issue. I was pretty emotional pre HRT. Everything is more intense now but I have a sense of humor about it. 

The mental changes came on pretty quick but it’s a little harder to describe. I can say that I’m more balanced and my thoughts are clearer. 

I’m disappointed in the bedroom part. While my body is more sensitive, climax’s are a muted version of what they used to be. No whole body pleasure waves yet.

I somehow missed any talk of the emotional changes (other than liking yourself more) until I started HRT, so when it happened I figured it was a real thing and not a placebo effect, cause it kicked in almost immediately. For me, always been able to cry about just about anything, but laughing for real has been quite enjoyable. And a baseline that isn't just a vague sad feeling of disappointment is amazing. 

I had hear that emotional changes happen but the information wasn't very specific. I'm guess the results vary a lot from person to person. I've become a lot calmer and find it easier to let things go now.

I definitely don't sweat nearly as much and I don't seem to smell anything remotely close to what I did. My sense of smell ramped up, a lot so I had an awkward conversation with my partner about it. Hey, I know I'm all sweaty and gross but will you smell me? I think it actually bothers her that I don't smell like a man.

My other bits are almost completely non functional and I have zero sex drive. I can see where it could bother some people but since I don't plan on having it forever I don't care if it atrophies and falls off.

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Elizabeth Star said:

I definitely don't sweat nearly as much and I don't seem to smell anything remotely close to what I did. My sense of smell ramped up, a lot so I had an awkward conversation with my partner about it. Hey, I know I'm all sweaty and gross but will you smell me? I think it actually bothers her that I don't smell like a man.

That's funny. Between the alopecia and the HRT I smell vaguely of vanilla. My spouse blamed that on my deodorant, but that's lavender. My spouse is OK with that. If you're going to smell like something there are worse things than vanilla.

2 hours ago, Elizabeth Star said:

My other bits are almost completely non functional and I have zero sex drive. I can see where it could bother some people but since I don't plan on having it forever I don't care if it atrophies and falls off.

This didn't happen to me at all. My sex drive is lower, but it's still there. I mean once or twice a week is ideal now. With T it was pretty much every damn day. Downstairs plumbing still worked fine too. No spontaneous erections (Yay!) but when I was turned on, everything worked like it was supposed to.

It still works like that honestly. You need to get my motor running first but once it is... ZOOM!

I guess my point is, "Yeah, your mileage may vary because we're all different."

Hugs! 

19 hours ago, Jamie68 said:

Full erections are a thing of the past.

Haven't had a real erection in a couple of years at least, but is still quite sensitive.  It might swell up a little.  But that whole area is sensitive now.  I feel like it functions a bit like a part of female anatomy.  It was never that impressive and seems to have shrunk a bit as well.

Boobettes are very sensitive.  I can get off on them alone.