• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The things no one tells us about hrt.

Red_Lauren.

• Forum Moderator
10 hours ago, Audrey said:

The bad news is that I have the first signs of posterior subcapsular cataracts in both eyes, which is a known effect from taking steroid hormones like estradiol. My ophthalmologist says they are very minor and treatable but something to keep an eye on (no pun intended).

Fun. I have those from all the prednisone my egg-donor poisoned me with from age 12. They're not really getting bigger though, so for now everything's great. I can't do the eye-test with the little barn though. They're too reflective. Plays havoc with my night-vision too. I can see like a cat, but it's really easy to dazzle me with bright lights (like headlights).

The heavier thing though... I started physical training about the same time I started on E. I'm actually stronger now than I was when I still had the T factories making me feel like garbage. I can dead-lift 230 pounds without a lot of effort. I'm a freaking amazon and I love it.

Hugs!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamie68

• Jackie C.

• Ivy

• Red_Lauren.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Audrey said:

I forgot to add, *everything* feels heavier now!

Love,

~Audrey.

Same here. I try to go to the gym every other day. Do 1/2 hour of above average intensity on elyptical, then 1/2 hour on weights.

None of this seems to help.

14 hours ago, RhondaS said:

Going down the list in @Audrey's post and saying yes, me too, uh huh, well I can notice mine, and then get to the cataracts and <gulp>

I hope I did not scare you Rhonda! The ophthalmologist assures me that I should not panic or see this as a choice between my eyes or my livelihood. They were only detectable on the exam and so small that they would not affect my visual acuity at all. But I am definitely never missing an eye appointment again...

11 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Fun. I have those from all the prednisone my egg-donor poisoned me with from age 12. They're not really getting bigger though, so for now everything's great. I can't do the eye-test with the little barn though. They're too reflective. Plays havoc with my night-vision too. I can see like a cat, but it's really easy to dazzle me with bright lights (like headlights).

Hi Jackie! Nice to see you again! I am relieved to hear that your cataracts have remained stable. I am pretty light sensitive too, I always have been, and maybe even a little more so on the HRT now? Fluorescent lights especially make me crazy and they are all over my workplace!

Love,

~Audrey.

14 hours ago, Audrey said:

Hi Jackie! Nice to see you again! I am relieved to hear that your cataracts have remained stable. I am pretty light sensitive too, I always have been, and maybe even a little more so on the HRT now? Fluorescent lights especially make me crazy and they are all over my workplace!

I had beginning cataracts years before HRT.  They grew quite slow - like several years.   But eventually they were making it hard to read and drive, especially at night.  It was like looking through a fly's compound eyes or something.  I thought I'd have to give up driving.

But after I came out, I found out I could get into the VA system.  They did surgery on both eyes (not at the same time) and now I have 20/20.  I had worn glasses for most of my life.  Now I just need the cheap dollarstore glasses for reading.

I've only been on HRT for a short time, so I have had very minimal changes, but my nipples and areola are starting to get more definition, and I think my shape is changing slightly, its especially noticeable in the cold. 

No one mentioned boob beards to me.  😳

Shaving my chest is becoming more and more awkward as I have to pull, squash and move things out of the way to try and get all the hair. I'm used to the stubble and ingrown hairs from dressing part time for so long, but I hope the hair starts disappearing soon as the thought of doing this when I have enough shape to fill a cup size does not fill me with joy!

• Forum Moderator
4 hours ago, DeeDee said:

Shaving my chest is becoming more and more awkward as I have to pull, squash and move things out of the way to try and get all the hair. I'm used to the stubble and ingrown hairs from dressing part time for so long, but I hope the hair starts disappearing soon as the thought of doing this when I have enough shape to fill a cup size does not fill me with joy!

My spouse is reading over my shoulder and suggested waxing. She's heard that it's MUCH easier than shaving your chesticles.

Hugs!

11 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

My spouse is reading over my shoulder and suggested waxing. She's heard that it's MUCH easier than shaving your chesticles.

Hugs!

I'm with Jackie's spouse. Waxing is much easier than shaving the girls. And, it lasts longer...

4 hours ago, DeeDee said:

Shaving my chest is becoming more and more awkward as I have to pull, squash and move things out of the way to try and get all the hair. 

Besides shaving or waxing, have you considered electrolysis on your chest area?  This was something I did as I started HRT two years ago.  It was almost all removed except for a few follicles as the pandemic hit -- and it will be the first thing I request when I resume (hopefully soon).  No maintenance is even better than low maintenance. For me, at least, while my body hair has softened, follicles have not reverted to soft, light vellum hairs.  Thus, permanent removal via electrolysis has worked really well, at least for me.

Cheers,

Astrid

5 hours ago, DeeDee said:

I've only been on HRT for a short time, so I have had very minimal changes, but my nipples and areola are starting to get more definition, and I think my shape is changing slightly, its especially noticeable in the cold. 

No one mentioned boob beards to me.  😳

I'm glad after Almost a year of hormones. It seems like my chest hair is growing slower, and lighter. 

Thanks for the advice ladies! I won't switch from facial electrolysis yet as that is my priority, but I may look into waxing as a stop measure and let the E do it's magic. :)

• Forum Moderator

I had cataract surgery on both eyes this summer.  I developed them from long term steroid use.  It was a breeze.  I felt nothing and healing was simple.  I did have to use a regimen of eye drops but that was easy.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 9:01 AM, Jackie C. said:

I started physical training about the same time I started on E. I'm actually stronger now than I was when I still had the T factories making me feel like garbage. I can dead-lift 230 pounds without a lot of effort. I'm a freaking amazon and I love it.

I love to lift heavy, so this is one of my main concerns about starting HRT.  Is is strange I'm worried my clean, squat, bench and deadlift will suffer?  (My numbers are not impressive by any means, even with t in me.)  It is encouraging that maybe all my strength won't go out the window if I am able to start.

10 hours ago, Kasane said:

I love to lift heavy, so this is one of my main concerns about starting HRT.  Is is strange I'm worried my clean, squat, bench and deadlift will suffer?  (My numbers are not impressive by any means, even with t in me.)  It is encouraging that maybe all my strength won't go out the window if I am able to start.

I think it's an individual thing. Different results for different folks. I've lost a lot of strength since starting HRT.

You lose 15% of your muscle mass from what I’ve read and experienced. It’s harder to build strength and recovery is slower. You lose definition since, hopefully, you’ll have a layer of fat to cover them. 

As an endurance athlete I can still do the things I’ve always done but I burn out a little more quickly. My ability to dig deep has also diminished. I’m fine with all this since the trade off is happiness.

• Forum Moderator
11 hours ago, Kasane said:

You'll have to work harder to maintain it, but my 5'3" mom can lift about what I do (though I'm SLOWLY pulling ahead). Lifting heavy will absolutely help you with maintaining muscle mass and bone density though.

Hugs!

On 11/18/2021 at 4:40 PM, Kylie said:

I concur! The mental changes are so, well, odd. I once ( in my previous life ) was very prone to outbursts and getting upset easily. Now I let a lot roll off my shoulder. I am more observant now and tend to have an even mood. It is funny how each of us experience a different affect from a mental standpoint. Now, as far as weight.....child, that is a whole discussion within itself! I went from 160 pre-hormones to a, as my friends say *thick* 235. most of my weight is legs, but I have meat allover. Amazing what a little E will do!

Kylie

Kylie,

I have been on estradiol valerate for the past month, and I don't know. I am finding that I too, am less prone to getting irritated and blowing up. I noticed this at work most of all. It may just be because I am on the right path. Strangely though, for months prior to coming out and going on hormones, I noticed I was getting softer in a number of areas and I was more emotional. I thought maybe it was my testosterone going down. I was on a low carb intermittent fasting diet and I have lost about 50 pounds so far. The real kicker is that when I got my testosterone levels before I went on HRT, my testosterone was normal, but the free testosterone was elevated. They think I may have had partial androgen insensitivity. Regardless, I am enjoying my changes! 

I have been trying to lose as much weight as I can. I have to say your note about gaining weight on HRT scared me a little, but I figured, one way or the other, I am a changing!

By the way, the IPL works, at least it did on my legs. I have been using a Braun IPL device every week for almost 10 weeks and my legs are fantastically smooth as a result. 

Sincerely

Katie

6 hours ago, Katie23 said:

I have to say your note about gaining weight on HRT scared me a little,

@Katie23-- For me, my metabolism has changed since starting HRT 24 months ago. Previous to beginning on estradiol, I could easily maintain my weight for many months, not varying much at all.  Nowadays, if I eat the amount of food as before, I definitely gain weight.  So I have to be more mindful of portion size.  Or I might occasionally choose to skip breakfast.  As a result, I'm able to keep things pretty well where I want them.  Of course, exercise is equally important. Similarly, it used to be that strenuous yard work several times a week was an excellent way for me to lose weight.  Now I have to do much more of that to get the same results, which isn't always possible, especially during winter here in Massachusetts.

I definitely now understand much better why so many women need to work harder to maintain their weight.

Best,

Astrid

I am going to stay the course on the low carb, intermittent fasting. Hopefully that will continue to pay dividends. I just love the sense of calm I have developed over the past 3 weeks. I wish I had done this 40+ years ago.

My surgeon requires a bmi of under 35.

I am normally between 30.2 and 30.8. 

I worry about the body shape changes. Hopefully getting rounded hips etc won't affect it much. 

Okay sisters, I've got a question. Here's the situation--I've been on estradiol and T-blockers for about a year now, and until my last blood test, my e-level was steadily increasing; in October, it was at 111. Last week I had my quarterly blood work done, and while my T-level decreased by about 10 points, which falls into line with what I've been seeing, my e-level had dropped to 76. My doctor is not concerned, and wants to continue my current dosage xxxxx, I use the patch).

The question is twofold--is this normal? And, has anyone else experienced anything like similar?

Thanks,

Marcie

Edited by Jani
Dosages not allowed
  • Forum Moderator
5 hours ago, Marcie Jensen said:

Okay sisters, I've got a question. Here's the situation--I've been on estradiol and T-blockers for about a year now, and until my last blood test, my e-level was steadily increasing; in October, it was at 111. Last week I had my quarterly blood work done, and while my T-level decreased by about 10 points, which falls into line with what I've been seeing, my e-level had dropped to 76. My doctor is not concerned, and wants to continue my current dosage xxxxx, I use the patch).

The question is twofold--is this normal? And, has anyone else experienced anything like similar?

Thanks,

Marcie

If your endo is not concerned, well then don't worry about it. It's their entire job to make sure your hormone levels are what they're supposed to be. So long as they fall into the target range, it's all good. If it really concerns you, seek a second opinion.

For the second question, sorry, no. My levels of both T and E have been pretty consistent through the entire process. Before and after GCS surgery.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

I didn't realize, when I started, that I had to get my blood drawn at the same time in every patch cycle, near the end of a patch.  If your previous blood draws were near the beginning of a new patch and the current one was near the end of a patch, that could account for the difference.

But, as Jackie says, if your endo isn't worried, you shouldn't be either.

I think one other thing is that the levels are a snap shot in time and Like Kathy said it also depends on your patch cycle. Your doctor is looking at the average for the entire time you have been on HRT.

Have you changed the location of your patch? Any weight loss or weight gain? Have been using any lotions or other skin preps that could block the absorption? Do you have consistency with your patch supply? The timing of the draw could be an issue as well as Kathy mentioned.

Sincerely

Katie