• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The things no one tells us about hrt.

Red_Lauren.

Thanks for the insights. I know this is all individual differences kind of stuff, but it helps to get a little perspective.

Sorry about the confusion - 17-b estrogen is what they measured in serum in the study; they gave the participants an estradiol, pill form. (I'm personally patching it at low dose.)

I want to be safe about things, so am in no rush to bump up e (and def not firehose). Wait on the next blood work and reassess is the plan.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamie68

• Jackie C.

• Ivy

• Red_Lauren.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I'm 24, just started HRT and I have a hot date next week, need tits NOW, long-term health issues be damned "

On 7/18/2022 at 12:22 PM, Marcie Jensen said:

Me too. Right now I'm on estradiol, progesterone and duatesteride. Seems to be working for me, and my doctor is pretty cautious.

Same for me, estradiol and progesterone only. Apparently spiro is inappropriate with some of my blood pressure medication. In any case, this seems to adequately reduce my testosterone to cis-female normal levels (ymmv).

So all the more reason to consult with your PCP and endocrinologist!

Disclaimer ill try to keep this pg 13. One thing I have noticed lately is I leak a lot more down below. Especially when the girl friend talks dirty to me, or sends me naughty pics. I mean its enough that I notice dampness. 

9 hours ago, Red_Lauren. said:

Especially when the girl friend talks dirty to me, or sends me naughty pics.

I'll be on the feel out when my woman sends me naughty pictures or talks dirty to me. 🏳️‍⚧️😉

14 hours ago, christinakristy2021 said:

I'll be on the feel out when my woman sends me naughty pictures or talks dirty to me. 🏳️‍⚧️😉

After 19 months of hormones. I have learned to enjoy being turned on, and can function like a adult. I mean there are times where I look at adult stuff, and while im turned on. I can enjoy the high of of it, and go to bed happy with out adult time..

14 hours ago, Jandi said:

I hadn't thought of this being HRT related, but now the you mention it…

Honestly I don't know if its because my hrt 100%, or the fact. That im not getting off mutiple times a day/week any more. Its more like once every 2 or 3 days. If that now. I was never munch of a leaker before hrt. Maybe if I was super in the mood, but that was it. Now it seems like I can just be aroused, and while I can still get it up its different. Like if my girlfriend talks dirty to me over a extended time. I notice the more I get excited. The more I'll leak. All while being soft. 

• 3 months later...

An unexpected effect is when I dose I get hungry like as soon as it hits my bloodstream. My appetite has been fairly ravenous at 11 months in and I have gained I assume the necessary weight of almost 20 pounds now. Even though I am not physically hungry, it feels like my body has cravings for high protein, fat, carbs and sodium- all the foods that contribute to high cholesterol. My Endo prescribed medication for this I assume to be on the safe side even though I have always typically been underweight, low BP, etc. as I ran high on recent blood test.

So I can assume that for many, the cardiovascular risks associated with HRT can be antagonized by excessive weight too, though I still have plently of room. 

Every effect that I expected or read about has taken hold and I am able to get a picture how my body shape will end up, but most profound is the experience of looking at my face changing, where some days it seems like I have more of a "feminine glow" than others.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure that others have probably mentioned these before, but in my pre-HRT research I never saw taste/diet change or body odour change listed, so these both came as a pleasant surprise for me.
The impossible to miss diet/taste change for me has been that I'm eating salads on a plate, with dressing, for the first time in my life.  It's not just that I'm eating them, I'm really enjoying them - having meals with plated salad at least 4 times a week now.

On 11/18/2021 at 8:57 PM, Elizabeth Star said:

I had hear that emotional changes happen but the information wasn't very specific.

I think this is true for all mental aspects of HRT.  I've always been emotional so neither my wife or I expected much of a change on this front but there was - the emotions are stronger on both ends of the spectrum and I can swing fairly quickly.  The way I feel and sense interactions with other people has also changed.  I enjoy and desire conversations with women and I tend to get disinterested during conversations with men.

On a slightly negative front, I have started experiencing a "loss of power" - I have been a team leader for many years and have recently started noticing that people (men) outside my team sort of ignore me and start decision making conversations with male team members who work under me.  My being less assertive since HRT may be one of the reasons for my perceived loss  of power.

• Forum Moderator
On 12/3/2022 at 3:19 PM, Trans22 said:

On a slightly negative front, I have started experiencing a "loss of power" - I have been a team leader for many years and have recently started noticing that people (men) outside my team sort of ignore me and start decision making conversations with male team members who work under me.  My being less assertive since HRT may be one of the reasons for my perceived loss  of power.

Patriarchy!

Yeah, men are less and less likely to treat you seriously as they start to perceive you as a woman. I've been mansplained more than a few times since I've come out. By men who know less about the subject than I do. I actually don't mind so much because I find it validating, but I work in a field where I can go ahead and let you fail a couple of times before I approach you and show you that you should have let me help you in the first place.

Mom says you can treat them the same way you treat little kids: You give them the "mom smile," nod and humor them. Then you take care of business like a woman.

Hugs!

6 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Patriarchy!

Yeah, men are less and less likely to treat you seriously as they start to perceive you as a woman. I've been mansplained more than a few times since I've come out. By men who know less about the subject than I do. I actually don't mind so much because I find it validating, but I work in a field where I can go ahead and let you fail a couple of times before I approach you and show you that you should have let me help you in the first place.

Mom says you can treat them the same way you treat little kids: You give them the "mom smile," nod and humor them. Then you take care of business like a woman.

Hugs!

I had to get new wipers for my car, so that meant going to one of the big auto parts stores. I only go to them for fluids, car cleaning stuff, and wipers. Even before my transition. Because they don't carry real parts for my car.

So I walk in after work. I'm looking nice, have makeup on, the whole works. I'm sitting there looking at the wipers. I know what size I need. I'm just comparing the hundreds of wipers.

this 20 some thing man. Asked if I needed help. I'm like nope im just looking for what I want. He asked if I knew what I was looking for. I'm like ysa just wipers. He then asked if I knew what size. At this point I'm getting a little testy. im like a 16 or 18in wiper and a 22in wiper. I can't recall the little one size right now. 

He then asked me year, make, and model of my car. I'm thinking this dude doesn't get it. I know what I'm looking for. I told him im know the sizes I need. He wouldn't shut up, so I gave him the stupid info. Hes like you are correct ma'am thats the sizes you need. I must have given him that look every man knows. When a woman is annoyed with them. He didn't speak to me after. Even checking me out. 

7 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Being of southern descent I use the Southern Woman Variant. I just smile sweetly and say, "Bless your heart" int that Steel Magnolia tone. Works like a charm.

4 hours ago, Red_Lauren. said:

so I gave him the stupid info. Hes like you are correct ma'am thats the sizes you need.

This is the point where I just pay and let him put them on for me.  All I have to do is watch and make sure he doesn't mess it up somehow.  I actually do have some training as a mechanic.

To be honest, we have women working in these stores too.  I still let them instal them.  I'm a lazy thing.  

One of my daughters worked for one of these chains for awhile before going on to become a certified mechanic.  She has some stores to tell.

I do the same thing at Lowes.  I just let the employee do the work while I pick their brain.  I pretend that I'm clueless and sometimes I actually learn something.  Oddly enough, that is usually from the women.  I paid my guy dues years ago.  I have nothing to prove anymore.  Like I said, I'm a lazy thing.  I'll even let them carry the heavy stuff for me.  Why not?  I watch, and thank them.  It's kinda fun in a twisted way.

I'm not helpless, but like in that old song - "I enjoy being a girl."

2 hours ago, Ivy said:

This is the point where I just pay and let him put them on for me.  All I have to do is watch and make sure he doesn't mess it up somehow.  I actually do have some training as a mechanic.

To be honest, we have women working in these stores too.  I still let them instal them.  I'm a lazy thing.  

One of my daughters worked for one of these chains for awhile before going on to become a certified mechanic.  She has some stores to tell.

I do the same thing at Lowes.  I just let the employee do the work while I pick their brain.  I pretend that I'm clueless and sometimes I actually learn something.  Oddly enough, that is usually from the women.  I paid my guy dues years ago.  I have nothing to prove anymore.  Like I said, I'm a lazy thing.  I'll even let them carry the heavy stuff for me.  Why not?  I watch, and thank them.  It's kinda fun in a twisted way.

I'm not helpless, but like in that old song - "I enjoy being a girl.

Here is the thing. It know enough about cars. That im confident doing more then basic stuff. I just don't have the tools to do more advanced repairs, so I'll gladly pay for some to do it, but wipers are a simple 10 minute job. 

After I got home. It took me about 30 minutes to get the old ones off. They were the oem ones from 17 when I bought it. I had to wedge a small flat screw driver under the release clip. Then grabbed a punch, and a hammer to tap them off. They wernt coming off at all. 

7 hours ago, Ivy said:

I'm not helpless, but like in that old song - "I enjoy being a girl."

I do the same thing @Ivy. The bottom line here is for things like "free installation," we're actually paying for the service when we think about it. I used to work for Lowe's part time in a youth far, far away, and the services such as lumber cutting, glass cutting, material loading, etc. are all calculated into the retail price. So, let 'em do it!  And yes, it is kinda fun in a twisted way. (insert evil grin here.)

• 2 months later...

Hmmm, yeah HRT, I've been on it for close to 3 years now and see a lot of the changes you all talk about, i don't think about sex much at all, willie and the boys have gotten a lot smaller, i can't watch some shows i used to because all i do is sit and cry, my feelings seem to get hurt more, i don't sweat as much, get cold easier, tits always sore if there bumped, i don't loose my temper  as easy, i love how my bodies starting to look from the neck down, i love the new and improved me, but reading a lot of the things you all have wrote once again makes me wonder about my wife, about a year ago she had all her female bits removed so shes on the patch, i know i have to have blood test every six months to check my hormones, she hasn't gone in for any that i know of and if hers are off maybe that's part of a reason shes such a bitch , lol sorry no nice way to put it, i have noticed she has been getting not a beard but whiskers, and OMG she gets mad so easy now, I'm starting to wonder if she needs her hormones checked, one day shes oh hunny i love you and about smothering me and the next writing hate letters to me and telling me that all trans people are pervs and child molesters and how evil we all are, then the next day smothering me again to the point i'm just like well whats today bring do i get kissed when i wake up or duck frying pans, could her hormones cause this or is she just nuts?

• Forum Moderator
21 hours ago, Rebel said:

i'm just like well whats today bring do i get kissed when i wake up or duck frying pans, could her hormones cause this or is she just nuts?

Menopause is a wild, wild ride. If she can get it, there are drugs to help her level out. In the meantime, her adrenal glands are still happily producing T at normal female levels. I'm not saying it can't be two things because that sounds like gaslighting behavior and love-bombing but in her shoes, I'd DEFINALTELY get a hormone panel done and see if there is something that could restore my regular balance.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator
21 hours ago, Rebel said:

i have noticed she has been getting not a beard but whiskers

I have cis girlfriends who have electrolysis done.  No shame, its a part of life.

Your wife should certainly get her hormone levels checked by her doctor.

Jani

• 9 months later...
On 11/17/2021 at 7:29 AM, Charlize said:

It might sound kinda odd but i feel peaceful in myself and with my life.

Hugs,

Charlize

Isn't that what all this about, ultimately? congrats on finding it... i am so conflicted about all this, and it certainly isn't congruent with everyone else close to me in my life right now...