• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Presbyterianism in Action

DeeDee

The Church of Scotland is the recognised National church in Scotland. Whenever a contentious decision is asked for it at it's annual General Assembly it uses something called the Barrier Act to slow things down, so from there the inidividual areas come together to vote, and it then goes back to the next General Assembly to pass a vote.  The whole point of presbyterianism is that no one person has the ear of God, for we were created equal and in God's image. By definition the church is a slow and painful thing to change, last year a minister asked if we could recognise that we are never going to reconcile those that do not want to embrace blessing same sex marriage, with those that do want to and allow ministers to actually sign up in order to legally be able to conduct services while still allowing those who are against to be legally protected.

I saw this this morning and it brightened my day.

526178494_PresbyteryBarrierActVoting.thumb.jpg.66cf8ff1a8e02d262ec928946c39f16c.jpg

I know that simply by culture alone Uist, Lewis and Skye will intend to vote no, as if they had their way people wiould still not be allowed to cook or do their washing on a Sunday; but since the votes are already in the majority in favour, a report will be submitted to the General Assembly in May. However, it will only become Church law in Scotland if the General Assembly agree to the legislation too.
The Church has been debating sexuality since 2006 with the advent of Civil Partnerships in Scotland and whether ministers could bless them, but this is the first time that the vote seemse to ahve moved past a 50/50 split. It has taken time but now the Church is on the threshold of allowing people in same sex relationships to be married by their ministers!
At the moment the only indicator I have while I look for an accepting church is whether a church has indicated that they have Departed from the traditional stance and are happy for a minister in a same sex partnership to be called (which has been allowed for a few years if the individual church allows it), the church is also restructuring it's presbyteries so that they will shrink down to a likely 8 in total, so this is a detailed population indicator that simply won't exist when it comes to the actual vote. This shows things moving slowly but surely in the right direction.

I am glad to hear they are leaning in the right direction.

I don't have any personal allegiance to Christianity, but my grandfather was a Church of Scotland minister.  He served in several parishes all over Scotland, but my memories, dim as they are, are of Contin, which would be in #37 on your map.  I looked it up on Google Streetview.  Beautiful setting, and the manse looks nice, but what a dreary-looking church!

Thanks for sharing the good news.

• Forum Moderator

Very good news DeeDee!  Looks like some progress is being made. 

Jani

@KathyLauren Wow! I know the Contin area well. I used to wild swim in the river there as a teenager. The trend from conservative to liberal going from north to south and rural to central belt has been anecotally known for years, but there are definitely far more yeses than I expected, and that does give me hope for the future.

6 hours ago, DeeDee said:

Wow! I know the Contin area well.

That's amazing!  I have never encountered anyone who had even heard of Contin.

Hi, I'm Scots by ancestry and a Presbyterian by choice and ordination, so this hits close to home for me. Here in the states, Presbyterianism has split into three major denominations, with varying degrees of acceptance of the entire LGBTQ community, the most inclusive being the PCUSA. Back in 2014 we (clergy) voted to sanction and allow same sex marriages as well as gay/lesbian ministers of Word and Sacrament. So far, the PCA and OPC have not. 

Congrats, @DeeDee! Glad to see some progress is being made in Scotland.

My great grandfather was an Elder, and I am a Deacon in PCUSA. I was also on the search committee and steering committee for a new church development in PCUSA.  I am out to our current minister and church members.  I couldn’t have done that if we weren’t PCUSA.

Willow

16 hours ago, Willow said:

My great grandfather was an Elder, and I am a Deacon in PCUSA. I was also on the search committee and steering committee for a new church development in PCUSA.  I am out to our current minister and church members.  I couldn’t have done that if we weren’t PCUSA.

Willow

Hi @Willow, What you say is the truth, and it's good news for the church. When I was going through seminary (a long time ago) we were bound by the fidelity and chastity clause in the Book of Order, which was, to put it mildly, very parochial in its interpretation of marriage, ordination and sexuality. Thank God it was rewritten to reflect a more inclusive perspective. Had that not happened, I would not be ordained and you would not be a deacon. 

Sometimes progress is slow, but it is certain. There's an old saying about how the gristmill of God grinds slowly, but it never stops and it always grinds very fine. Perhaps we're seeing it now...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• rachel w
    • MomTGDaughter
    • Cynthina
    • Jamie73
    • Heather Nicole
    • Monicanorth
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

awkward-yet-sweet
    Newest Member
    awkward-yet-sweet

1. Dawn2020
      Dawn2020
      (73 years old)
    2. luke_b
      luke_b
      (19 years old)
    • Jamie73
      They did a wonderful job making the doll actually look like Laverne Cox. 
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://pagesix.com/2022/05/25/laverne-cox-honored-as-first-transgender-barbie-doll/     Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/trans-womans-photo-used-spread-baseless-online-theory-texas-shooter-rcna30511   I'm not the least surprised by this.  This is what conspiracy theorists do.  They're also spreading rumors that the shooter was an undocumented alien, which even the Texas governor said is false.    Carolyn Marie
    • Vidanjali
      I saw "Theydies & Gentlethem" on a tee-shirt and just found it so delightful.   That's all. That's the whole post, lol.   P.S. Now if only there were a gender neutral version of "ma'am". OMG, I feel I've been ma'am'ed about a hundred fifty million times this week on the phone as I've been attending to a variety of medical appointments and issues...
    • Vidanjali
      That makes complete sense to me, @Cary . I usually don't tell people that I'm trans/nonbinary/possibly-trans-masc/asexual/panromantic/etc., but I have experienced personal affirmation exploring and identifying with microlabels because doing so has helped me to put more of the puzzle pieces of my past together so that I can increase my potential to experience life as a more integrated human now. For instance, understanding myself as panromantic has helped me to understand certain past behaviors, inclinations, and interactions which seemed most irregular, confusing, and distressing in the past - when I recall a thing that used to seem confounding, and am able to say, ooooohh, that's what that was, then I feel like I make more sense to myself. Moreover, through understanding identification with some microlabels I've experienced healing as I am able to construe certain past stressful experiences in the context of performance, overcompensation, or internalized phobia.    I can't say whether there's a general consensus about microlabels within this community, but I dare say that there is a consensus that each of us should do whatever we feel in our hearts is right for us in order to be safe, healthy, and whole. 
    • KymmieL
      Good morning all.  0820hrs and already 60 on the fenceometer. Glad it's going to be a nice day. I need to get some stuff finished on the wagon for our trip tomorrow. We are heading to Lincoln for the weekend. As the 31st is my oldest grandsons birthday. Taking him and my granddaughter to Cars and Coffee Sat at Speedway Motors.   I still don't get my wife. yesterday, we go and look at a house. She is OK with me wearing a ladies Harley t with a padded bra. obviously, showing that I have breasts. Go figure. I guess even women don't understand women.   We put in an offer for this home. Should hear something later today.   Well off to the salt mines in a bit, but first coffee. As always brought to you today by Folgers.   Hugs,   Kymmie
    • Jackie C.
      Best practice is to call them and ask. I'm covered because of my alopecia but some providers allow scalp prosthetics for trans patients too.   I personally didn't get fitted, but I'm like THE adjustable band size. Default fits me great. They'll absolutely fit and style it for you at the boutique though. Honestly it was a great experience.   My wig-seller actually warned me off human hair. It's WAY more expensive, doesn't wear as well and it's harder to dye if you're trying to color match. She basically said human hair is great if you want black.   But check out Raquel Welch and Renee of Paris depending on what your hair situation is and see what you like.   Hugs!
    • Mmindy
      Good morning everyone,   It's going to be a hot day in the shop. Hair up in a ponytail then up under a welding beanie, so I can wear my face-shield for grinding and then the welding helmet. Bib overalls, long sleeve denim shirt, leather apron, and heavy gloves. I'll stay hydrated, and aware of my physical condition, as I sweat away the pounds. On the days I work hard, I don't workout. Fans will be blowing from all directions.   Best wishes, positive motivation, and safety for all,   Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋   
    • Davie
      Thanks for asking, @Cary.   I identify to some extent as Trans Non-Binary . . . but I try to take the advice I've heard here on TP. To work on creating what's right for me, beyond the labels. It's more like creating a story for myself rather work under a label. To chat over coffee does not require me to have read your resume. I will learn about you in context of your own on-going life, not from the name on your lapel tag. It may not be that instantly satisfying, but it's far more interesting. Enjoy the ride. Warning: all new roads have bumps.   — Davie
    • Heather Shay
      Is it someone who you can confide in? Is it inner strength and courage? Is it your favorite pet? What helps you get through the pain?
    • Willow
      Hi   @KathyLauren I didn’t think about that answer.  But you are right.  There are times and situations where we must care for ourselves in order to be able to care for others.   @CD Rachel I’m glad you heard back from “Marie”.  I know how upset you were, and how happy you are.   have a great day everyone    Willow
    • Jandi
      This is pretty much my situation as well. I didn't (and still don't) have the funds for electrolysis and surgery.  But I do have HRT.   Just for the record, there can be unexpected not-so-fun things. But I'm sure you are aware of that.
    • JacobLevado
      Shipping to New Zealand from France is likely no more expensive than the States.  What one do you like?  My partner knows French so they can help navigating the website ☺️
    • JacobLevado
      Thanks!  I'm going to try the two sports bra idea.  We're headed into winter here, so I can wear some bulky clothes over while I experiment.    
    • Mx.Drago
      Hey there @Cary , just saw this and am sad it took this long to give feedback, but hope this in some way helps. I guess in a way I could identify a bit with mascandrogyne. I try for the most part to be indifferent about my gender, but would be lying if I said it didn't bother me being identified constantly as female. My natural hormones don't exactly help my situation. Life has just been a long challenge of waves of uncertainty and I'm still not out, also I don't like advertising my lack of interest in play the gender games society is accused to enforcing. I'm not androgynous, more gender non-conforming/bigender. A lot of the experience is just learning to take the hard punches society pulls and not take people's opinions/beliefs to heart. Be yourself, don't reside and force yourself into being what everybody else believes you to be. You're your own reality, that's a mystery to many normies and mostly everybody you don't let in. It's not the most ideal situation, but you do what you can and just try to be safe as best you can. The world isn't the kindest or nicest of places, and can be straight merciless at times, but it's not always terrible. It's a journey and quest for internal/external prosperity to be the best you living free in the present as yourself. You can't help or do much if you're busy burying yourself away. Be free and proud friend, live long and prosper.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.