• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Are secrets in the family acceptable?

Ticket For Epic

Okay, I'm 42 amab and a growing unacknowledged realization finally came to a head when I accidentally said the quiet thing out loud.  You know, that thing I haven't even soft admitted to myself...  Yeah, that thing!  I was more than a little shocked to hear the words "Hell, I don't even know if I'm cis." Come out of my mouth.  Of course I back pedaled and changed the subject and tried to move on as if a paradigm shifting event hadn't just taken place and tried to go about business a usual.  I'm sure we all know how that has worked out.  Anyway, long story short...  little things I used to be able to brush off are now HUGE things I can't ignore and I'm living life 3 deep breaths at a time on the brink of hyperventilating.   Not to mention the "How could I have been so blind"/"Are you crazy, where is all is all this coming from?"  battle raging in my head.  As well as fears of general acceptance... Who's going to belive me? How many people will I disappoint? And the ever present "Well, this is the path to dying alone." 

Anyway, my question... I desperately want/need to talk to someone about this and I am currently reaching out to gender therapists.  But in the meantime, I'd like to talk to someone that can understand and empathize as well as knows me and cares about me personally.  The only person I know that fits this description is my sister's husband (a trans man if that wasn't clear) and I would love to reach out to him but I'm not sure if it would be fair, appropriate or ethical.  My sister is my best friend in the world and I'm afraid it would hurt her feelings if she found out that I confided in her husband and not her.  I'm also concerned about the morals and ethics of asking him to keep such a huge secret about his wifes sibling. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Forum Moderator

When this realization hits it usually is like a truck!  Yes we may backpedal but it eventually comes around again and we must face it.  Since your sister is close to you, and her husband is a transman I would say they would be accepting.  I would strongly suggest talking to them both as a couple rather than just your BIL.  I'm sure they have had all the conversations and would be accepting as you might wish for.

Hugs, 

Jani

Thank you for your suggestion...Oh, I'm so not ready to broach this with my sister.  I know she loves her husband and accepts him for the man he is but I'm not sure she is as accepting and understanding in general as she thinks she is.  I often hear her say or imply things to her husband or about the extended trans community in general that in most situations I would consider to be micro aggressions.  She identifies as a lesbian whilst married to a man and was taken aback when I was surprised by this and asked why she didn't consider herself bi, seeing as she is in a hetero marriage.  I have also had some discourse with her about the non-binary community and the respecting of pronouns.  Not to mention some disparaging comments about the "alphabet mafia".  For the time being I'm experimenting in the non-binary arena (probably out of fear because for some reason it feels safer) and I'm all but certain she doesn't really take such identities seriously. 

From all the info you've provided, @Ticket For Epic  , it sounds a bit tricky. Your sister is your best friend, she's married to a trans person, but she may not be a trans ally. If you confide in your BIL and not your sister, she may feel betrayed, he may feel uncomfortable, and worse - imagine the potential fallout if you explain to your BIL your reasons for not feeling comfortable talking with your sister - he may feel very conflicted. I DEFINITELY understand the very powerful urge of wanting to connect with other trans folks irl. It's very tempting to reach out to your BIL because he's a family member already in your life, but it does seem too complicated to confide in him alone. I would suggest using this forum as a respite until you have secured a therapist. (Perhaps the therapist can help you navigate opening up to your sister.) Although we're a bit separated because you don't know us in real life, at least you have access to an entire community of people who understand you in ways cis friends cannot. 

@Vidanjali As much as I hate to admit it, your assessment of the situation is spot on.  I know it's a bad idea, which is why I posted the question here, hoping against hope that someone would change my mind... though I'm glad no one has.   Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond.  Everyone I have encountered here has shown themselves to be extraordinary, compassionate and empathetic individuals.   I'm really impressed with the community that has been built here. 

Hey T/T

Yeah Jani

Has soon good advice. plus she knows her stuff.

Best and only solutions is to talk to them both during dinner or drinks 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 104 Guests (See full list)

• Maddee
    • phicauser1
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

taxicab
    Newest Member
    taxicab

1. Amyjay
      Amyjay
      (58 years old)
    2. bettyjean
      bettyjean
    3. Breanna
      Breanna
      (52 years old)
    4. Emily Ayla
      Emily Ayla
    5. JET182
      JET182
    • Heather Shay
      What is relaxation to you? Nature? Movie? Reading? Cuddling with a pet? Music?
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      Having just a normal emotional day.
    • Heather Shay
      AMUSEMENT The feeling when you encounter something silly, ironic, witty, or absurd, which makes you laugh. You have the urge to be playful and share the joke with others. Similar words: Mirth Amusement is the emotional reaction to humor. This can be something that is intended to be humorous, like when someone tells a good joke or when a friend dresses up in a ridiculous costume. But it can also be something that you find funny that was not intended to be humorous, like when you read a sign with a spelling error that turns it into an ironic pun. For millennia, philosophers and scholars have been attempting to explain what exactly it is that makes something funny. This has led to several different theories. Nowadays, the most widely accepted one is the Incongruity Theory, which states that something is amusing if it violates our standards of how things are supposed to be. For example, Charlie Chaplin-style slapstick is funny because it violates our norms of competence and proper conduct, while Monty Python-style absurdity is funny because it violates reason and logic. However, not every standard or norm violation is necessarily funny. Violations can also evoke confusion, indignation, or shock. An important condition for amusement is that there is a certain psychological distance to the violation. One of the ways to achieve this is captured by the statement ‘comedy is tragedy plus time’. A dreadful mistake today may become a funny story a year from now. But it can also be distant in other ways, for instance, because it happened to someone you do not know, or because it happens in fiction instead of in real life. Amusement also needs a safe and relaxed environment: people who are relaxed and among friends are much more likely to feel amused by something. A violation and sufficient psychological distance are the basic ingredients for amusement, but what any one person find funny will depend on their taste and sense of humor. There are dozens of ‘humor genres’, such as observational comedy, deadpan, toilet humor, and black comedy. Amusement is contagious: in groups, people are more prone to be amused and express their amusement more overtly. People are more likely to share amusement when they are with friends or like-minded people. For these reasons, amusement is often considered a social emotion. It encourages people to engage in social interactions and it promotes social bonding. Many people consider amusement to be good for the body and the soul. By the end of the 20th century, humor and laughter were considered important for mental and physical health, even by psychoneuroimmunology researchers who suggested that emotions influenced immunity. This precipitated the ‘humor and health movement’ among health care providers who believed that humor and laughter help speed recovery, including in patients suffering from cancer1). However, the evidence for health benefits of humor and laughter is less conclusive than commonly believed2. Amusement is a frequent target of regulation: we down-regulate it by shifting our attention to avoid inappropriate laughter, or up-regulate it by focusing on a humorous aspect of a negative situation. Interestingly, amusement that is purposefully up-regulated has been found to have the same beneficial physical and psychological effects as the naturally experienced emotion. Amusement has a few clear expressions that emerge depending on the intensity of the emotion. When people are mildly amused, they tend to smile or chuckle. When amusement intensifies, people laugh out loud and tilt or bob their head. The most extreme bouts of amusement may be accompanied by uncontrollable laughter, tears, and rolling on the floor. Most cultures welcome and endorse amusement. Many people even consider a ‘good sense of humor’ as one of the most desirable characteristics in a partner. At the same time, most cultures have (implicit) rules about what is the right time and place for amusement. For example, displays of amusement may be deemed inappropriate in situations that demand seriousness or solemness, such as at work or during religious rituals.
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • April Marie
      Good morning, everyone!!! Two cups of coffee in the books and I am just feeling so wonderful this morning. Not sure why, but I'm happy and smiling.   Enjoy this beautiful day!!!
    • Heather Shay
      A U.S. dollar bill can be folded approximately 4,000 times in the same place before it will tear. -You cannot snore and dream at the same time. -The average person walks the equivalent of three times around the world in a lifetime. -A hippo’s wide open mouth is big enough to fit a 4-foot-tall child in. -Chewing gum while you cut an onion will help keep you from crying.
    • Susan R
      Love it! This is great news. We need more of this to combat the excessive hate-filled rhetoric and misinformation. 👍
    • Susan R
      The experience was the same for me @April Marie. I slept much deeper and I woke up each morning feeling so much more restful sleeping with forms solidly in place. For me, wearing breast forms at night started when before I was a teenager. I had no access up to modern breast forms and certainly no way to buy mastectomy bras back then. I wore a basic bra my mom had put in a donation box and two pairs of soft cotton socks. I have some crazy memories of things I did in my youth to combat my GD but regardless, these makeshift concoctions helped me work through it all.   All My Best, Susan R🌷
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Colorado isn't exactly a Republican place, and won't become one anytime soon.  I think those folks might be better off not spending their time playing Don Quixote.    We certainly have our share of California "refugees" moving into where I live, so I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Coloradans too.  I suspect the trend over the next few years will see the blue areas getting more blue and the red areas getting more red as anybody who can relocate tries to find a place where they fit better.   
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Well, at least it'll be a place some folks could choose.  Options are a good thing.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      My family would have gobbled that jar up in a minute or two.  When we do have pickled herring, its usually for Christmas.  I didn't grow up with that particular dish, but I grew up in a Greek family so I like just about any kind of fish if I can get it.  However, ocean fish and freshwater fish taste so different.  We usually have more catfish and tilapia to eat than anything else.    What I can't quite get used to is the tons of cabbage my GF insists on eating.  When you live with a Russian, there is always cabbage soup.  Always.  When I first moved in with her, breakfast was "shchi" for soup and either bread or "kasha" which is a bowl of boiled buckwheat with butter and salt.  Those dishes can be made in any number of ways, some are better than others.  In the winter, it can even be salty and sour like kraut.  Not exactly sauerkraut, but packed in tubs with vinegar and salt so it keeps partially for the winter.  But I drew the line when the cabbage soup included pieces of fried snake one day.  😆
    • Ashley0616
      Good evening to you as well @Mmindy   That is awesome that you have support from her side. My dad has communicated with me once and that was because he was forced to. His new wife wanted to spend time with my kids. He hated me so much he was in the process of taking my rights away as a parent to my two boys. He was talking to a lawyer and I called him out on it. I don't love him at all. I'll respect him because I wouldn't be here without him but I wished I had another father. My uncles don't talk to me and unfriended me on Facebook. Almost all cousins except for two are still Facebook friends but they don't give me any support. My mom said she won't support me with that but she has said that she loves me. I have nieces and nephews that are still Facebook friends but they have yet to talk to me. I have one sister that supports me out of three. The other's disrespect me by deadnaming me. They have never called me their sister. I think for them they think it's still a phase. They don't ask questions about me being trans. I have to bring it up and on the look of their faces they don't look comfortable about it. 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.