• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Numbness After Thermolysis?

Guest //Amelia

Guest //Amelia

So I've been seeing an electrolysis who does blend for about 9 months now, working on my neck. I haven't seen much if any improvement despite going every week or every other week for an hour each. A couple weeks ago we tried using just thermolysis (flash/high heat) with fantastic results. The only problem was that the area she worked on felt/feels a bit numb to the touch. While I think it is slowly coming back, I'm not sure if that is just my imagination or not.

What i'm wanting to know since neither my electrolysist, her text books, or the internet seems to have any answers, is if the numbness is normal, will it go away, has anyone had similar results/experiences with strait thermolysis instead of blend, and any other information you can give me.

If the sensation does come back I'll have that done again since it did in two sessions what I still haven't been able to clear in 8 some odd months with blend.

Guest Donna Jean
So I've been seeing an electrolysis who does blend for about 9 months now, working on my neck. I haven't seen much if any improvement despite going every week or every other week for an hour each. A couple weeks ago we tried using just thermolysis (flash/high heat) with fantastic results. The only problem was that the area she worked on felt/feels a bit numb to the touch. While I think it is slowly coming back, I'm not sure if that is just my imagination or not.

What i'm wanting to know since neither my electrolysist, her text books, or the internet seems to have any answers, is if the numbness is normal, will it go away, has anyone had similar results/experiences with strait thermolysis instead of blend, and any other information you can give me.

If the sensation does come back I'll have that done again since it did in two sessions what I still haven't been able to clear in 8 some odd months with blend.

That's very interesting, honey...I'm in electrolysis, too, but I don't understand these terms.....

Could you explain them a bit to us....I've never heard of "thermolysis"........

Help put an ignorant girl on track........OK?

Thanks, Hon...

Donna Jean

Guest Nelly

Hi,

I have just an idea about the odd feeling of the skin. when I shaved my legs for the first time, I was missing some sensation like it was before with hairs. Maybe nacked skin without hairs feels like that? After some time it felt normal.

Greetings

Nelly

Guest //Amelia
That's very interesting, honey...I'm in electrolysis, too, but I don't understand these terms.....

Could you explain them a bit to us....I've never heard of "thermolysis"........

Help put an ignorant girl on track........OK?

Thanks, Hon...

Donna Jean

Oh sure, Basically I've been using the Blend method of electrolysis for the past 9 months or so, which is generally the recommended more effective way of doing electrolysis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrology

Blend:

Galvanic and thermolysis are often combined in a method known as blend, developed by Arthur Hinkel in 1948, which uses both RF and direct current, combining many of the advantages of galvanic and thermolysis. [3] All three of these methods use a metal probe 50 to 150 µm (0.002 to 0.006 inches) in diameter which is inserted into the hair follicle to the depth of the dermal papilla or hair matrix, which is the site of formation of hair from highly mitotic and keratinized cells.

But we tried doing just strait thermolysis instead of blend (which uses both thermo and galvanic)

Thermolysis

Another method is known as thermolysis, RF, shortwave or diathermy. Thermolysis was developed in the 1920s and first reported in medical literature by Henri Bordier. [2] A thermolytic epilator is essentially a radio transmitter, usually with an output of about 0-8 watts at a frequency of 13.56 MHz. RF energy emanates from the probe tip to tissue within about a millimeter. Thermolysis works by heating the hair matrix cells to about 48°C (118°F), causing electrocoagulation.