• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Do people online/in games care about a non-passing voice?

Hello everyone, hope you're having a nice day.

I figured some of you may be familiar with this topic. I play videogames online, which means I interact with a fair share of people anonymously, and they always correctly assume my gender after talking with them in text form (male, in this case).

However, I am pre-T and still definitely do not sound like most guys. I'd love to use VC to talk with these people, but I'm unsure of their views on trans people, and don't want to give up the illusion that I'm just another dude. To clarify, these are people I'm friends/acquaintances with, not randos I match with for 5 minutes and then never see again. I've spent so much time hovering over the unmute button, repeating what I want to say over and over, and recording/playing back my voice, but I can't seem to get over this.

Have any of you had experiences like this? Do people usually not care enough to comment on it? Is there any chance people will rationalize it as "Huh, I guess that guy sounds kinda feminine"?

I know there's no real way to predict this, but I'm hoping someone can relate or offer advice. Thanks in advance.

12 hours ago, Roach said:

Hello everyone, hope you're having a nice day.

I figured some of you may be familiar with this topic. I play videogames online, which means I interact with a fair share of people anonymously, and they always correctly assume my gender after talking with them in text form (male, in this case).

However, I am pre-T and still definitely do not sound like most guys. I'd love to use VC to talk with these people, but I'm unsure of their views on trans people, and don't want to give up the illusion that I'm just another dude. To clarify, these are people I'm friends/acquaintances with, not randos I match with for 5 minutes and then never see again. I've spent so much time hovering over the unmute button, repeating what I want to say over and over, and recording/playing back my voice, but I can't seem to get over this.

Have any of you had experiences like this? Do people usually not care enough to comment on it? Is there any chance people will rationalize it as "Huh, I guess that guy sounds kinda feminine"?

I know there's no real way to predict this, but I'm hoping someone can relate or offer advice. Thanks in advance.

I can relate, I fully understand, ever need anyone to talk to, then I'm here for you and, Welcome! To the forum what a blessing it is to have you here! ✨ How's you're day going? Is it okay? Hope life is treating you okay as you deserve it, stay safe!

Just now, Roxiee said:

I can relate, I fully understand, ever need anyone to talk to, then I'm here for you and, Welcome! To the forum what a blessing it is to have you here! ✨ How's you're day going? Is it okay? Hope life is treating you okay as you deserve it, stay safe!

Thanks so much Roxiee, I appreciate that! This forum seems like a nice environment so far. Y'all are doing great keeping it relatively positive and constructive. I'm doing pretty good today, you take care as well.

9 minutes ago, Roach said:

Thanks so much Roxiee, I appreciate that! This forum seems like a nice environment so far. Y'all are doing great keeping it relatively positive and constructive. I'm doing pretty good today, you take care as well.

Hey, thank you! That's so lovely of you to say, keep warm! Yeah, it's pretty cool, lovely people, that support you etc and just have fun, you know? I joined I was like ah sugar I'm new, I'm stuck what the heck do I do??!!! But, I'm fine now! I love it, I met some new friends ( including you!) And, I love supporting and welcoming people! Like yourself, so thank you! 

Hugs

Roxie x

• 1 year later...

I dent play games with voice chat often, but when i do, some people are confused of what my gender is. but most people don't actually ask or comment. if someone does ask "are you a boy or a girl" i simply reply "I'm a boy". because its true! you don't have to explain to people why your voice sounds the way it does. it makes life a lot easier.