• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Wanting to Start T; What should I know?

So, I've been thinking about trying to start T in a couple years, and I really just need to know what I need to get started. I've been looking at the gel and patches because I really don't like needles.

I do know a good number of changes that can happen, but I'm not entirely sure what I need to do to get there.

I know that I need to see a gender therapist and my doctor. But is there anything else I need to know or do?

• Admin

Hi, Sol.  So you seem to have a good general idea of the steps involved.  There are a good many sites for trans men that talk about T, its effects, the methods of getting it, the contraindications, etc.  You can also check out the WPATH Standards of Care, which is a great one-stop shop for information.  It's all online.  If you're hoping for personal anecdotes from other trans men here, I hope they will come around shortly.  If there is some particular questions, we'll do our best to answer them.

Carolyn Marie

• 3 months later...

I know it's been a while but I think I can answer a few questions. I'm pre-T also, unsure when the day will come I can actually start treatment but I do know a few things. Carolyn Marie's advice is pretty good to get started as well. When in doubt, check out those places and look up videos and anecdotes about those who have been on T, preferrably for up to a few years or five years. I feel these individuals can provide you with the best information when you're ready to take up the next step.

In general, when you start T, you want to be in the best health possible before you begin the regime. Some of the best things recommended is reduction of and elimination of smoking and drinking of alcohol. Some individuals will say to cut out drinking coffee and dairy products from your diet, but it generally depends. As a given, adopt a diet that works for you and cut out as much junk food as you can.

Depending on how you take to the hormone, you might have to increase or decrease your dosage as you continue taking the hormone. Changes happen gradually so it's best not to get too discouraged if they don't happen as quickly as you would like. When in doubt, always keep in contact with an endocrinologist or whoever is administering your T. After you're okay'd to take T, finding and establishing an endocrinologist is a must as they will help you get the right dosage and method of taking in the T. Taking T, although it can alleviate general feelings associated with gender dysphoria, can cause adverse effects to the heart, liver, and kidneys. Always be mindful of your condition so any problems that arise with these organs do not worsen.

Around the time you begin T, it would also be a good idea to check your medical insurance to see if it can cover any costs associated with the HRT or any possible surgeries you plan to undertake. Even if not a lot, every penny saved is helpful.

I've also heard that if one wishes to do top surgery in the future, doing exercises associated with the chest can help achieve the best contour when surgeons perform the procedure and may lessen the recovery time associated with such a surgery.

It's a bit lengthy, but I hope this is helpful in some way. This is only to give general information and does not cover the whole scope when starting T or when on T.

This is definitely helpful, @Russ Fenrisson

I had no idea about cutting out junk food, and I'll definitely have to tackle that pretty hard because I rely a lot on it to feel full between meals, or when I don't want to cook. 

As for issues with the heart, liver, and kidneys, I did have some idea about this. I do have a slight heart condition (WPW, I don't trust myself to spell the full name) and I can't take certain medications that can change the heart's rhythm. I'll definitely have to look into this stuff and check with a doctor once I'm able to actually start getting T.

@SolYou're welcome. A lot of studies I've seen and anecdotes by trans individuals include this remark about the junk food because of how it can affect the body, especially it's health in those organs I listed. But then again, some of those individuals were really into fitness and if you really can't help it, you shouldn't feel bad if you decide to snack on something or have something a little bit unhealthy sometimes. Don't deprive yourself to the point you start to feel bad. The occasional fruit and veggie once in a while is also fine.

I've heard of WPW before. As long as you're mindful of your condition, you should be fine. Because patches provide gradual transmission rather than an immediate transmission into the blood like actual injection, you should be fine. Just remember to always keep in constant contact with your doctor.

Hi 😊

Starting T is something you need to really think about as once you start there is no going back. For me personally it was the best thing I ever did but it still comes with it's downsides. Before T I was a lesbian and had no problem meeting women. That becomes more difficult (but 100% not impossible) once you transition. I also experienced more gender dysphoria once I actually started transitioning because my body was half and half so to speak. But the beard! Omg the beard! It's my favourite thing in the world! Haha. 

Starting the process also depends on what country you are in. I'm from the UK so I went to the doctor and told them what I wanted to do. You then get referred to a gender clinic and there are only 2 in the whole of the UK. There might be more now because this was nearly 10 years ago. You'll then have the dress as your desired gender for one year before they will put you on T. I personally didn't do any of that and put myself on T but I don't recommend it, looking back it was a pretty stupid idea as I could have really damaged my health or worse. 

All you have to remember is do what's best for you and go through the correct channels. 

@Justsam That's some really helpful advice. I think it's silly too, but it's absolutely necessary to try to live as your preferred gender for about a year, or as long as your therapist feels, before allowing you to start T. It allows you to "feel the room," so to speak, and understand what it's like living in your new role. I've heard from some it was sort of embarrassing because of the fact passing was difficult for them, but it can be rewarding in the end.

Only 2?! Geez! And I thought where I lived was bad... cheers you managed though! I hope in time things will get better for us and those who are to come.

I've been looking at immigrating to Canada (as the US is a flaming pothole and Canada seems better on several levels. And yes, I know it's not perfect) so I'll see how many gender clinics are in the area I want to move to. 

As for dressing and living as my target gender, that's really what I've been trying to do for the past year on my own. Granted, I'm not moving in any big social circles but college is here and I've been looking at getting a job next year so that'll be good practice.

@SolAwesome. Always keep looking forward.

You know, for the longest time, I've wanted to live in Canada but I haven't decided on what part yet. Since I was in French class and learning about Quebec, I've had an inkling for that region, besides perhaps Alberta. Canada is a beautiful country and its wide open prairies, forests, and just general overall scenery really got me attracted. My happy place (in my head) is a nice little cabin in the woods during the dead of winter. The gentle creaking of the wood as the wind blows and the crackling of the fire have always been soothing to me.

The sounds of nature and being surrounded by it are always great.

That sounds absolutely perfect. That's the main reason why I left England and moved to a rural part of Cambodia. I live in a old wooden house in a small village. There's obviously some disadvantages, like no supermarkets to easily buy food and and when there's a wedding going on for 3 days the music is horrendous haha. But it was the best move I made. 

You have to do what's right for you. Some people called me selfish for leaving the UK but if looking after your own wellbeing is selfish then be selfish haha. I literally found a job and booked a flight. 

@JustsamThat must have been a hard thing leaving everything behind the way you did, but if it helped you to find happiness, all the better I suppose. I wish I could be brave like that, but where I am, I feel like I'm still needed and moving just doesn't seem like an option right now.

In another world or circumstance, I'd want to live in different places to see how they are before ultimately staying somewhere in Canada. At least once, I wanted to see what it was like living on an Indian reservation. I want to see what their life is like and be witness to some of their festivals. I've always been fond of indigenous people.

It's still hard now. I miss my mom and my best friend but I was ruining my life in England and knew I had to get out of their. 

If you ever decide to go to an Indian reservation then I might know someone who can point you in the right direction 

@Justsam Surely you can always go back for holiday or for people's birthdays? Those people are precious and you can't turn your back on them forever. At least texting, e-mail, and letter writing should be fine. I'm sure they'll appreciate it if you do those for them.

Awesome! Not sure when I'll do it, but it's something I want to do someday, kind of like a bucket list.

I always keep in constant contact with my mom and my best friend from home. Sometimes life just gets a little busy. I haven't been home since I left for many reasons. Money, rescuing 5 dogs 🤦🏻‍♂️, covid and the fact that where my mom lives is my old area where I got myself into some very bad habits and it worries me that I wouldn't be strong enough to ignore the people I used to be associated with. I'm trying to get my mom to visit me here but she says it's too hot haha. 

@JustsamThat's good. As long as you have that, that should be good. However it's not the same as being in person with them. And when you left home, you left for a reason. Stay where you want to stay. I see you're pretty used to your home and if you see it as home, it's definitely home. Being where you can be you is the best after all.