• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Danish girl

Dee2022

Having had issues with my wife understanding what it feels like being on-board the roller coaster of knowing that you want to transition, and her insistence that I am simply being selfish and obviously don’t care about my family, I asked her to watch this film yesterday (I watched it simultaneously from my flat)

This is an absolutely stunning film, which I feel really captures the feelings of an inability to control your move toward womanhood brilliantly.

Even my wife got it, and I honestly believe gave her an insight into how impossible it is to ignore your feelings - to the point where she even stated that ‘it’s like watching our story, but from the outside’

Brilliantly observed, this film is a moving, and sometimes painful journey through one persons awakening.

Highly recommended.

Alice.

• Forum Moderator

That was a true tear jerker for me as well.  Even the memory carries emotion.

Hugs,

Charlize

I first saw this before I admitted to myself who I was.   

It made me very uncomfortable at the time.

I had intended to watch this earlier, but life got in the way. I'm watching it now, and, for me, it is more than compelling. Raw emotions. Tears. Validation.

"This is not my body, professor. Please take it away."

• Forum Moderator

I'm watching "The Danish Girl" tonight. It's saved to my favorites on Netflix.

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

Hi Hannah (and all)

Hmmm yes - maybe should have mentioned that I have never got through this film with out bawling my eyes out😕😂

But even despite the tears, I still love how it left me feeling.😊

Ax

2 hours ago, WillbeAlice said:

Hi Hannah (and all)

Hmmm yes - maybe should have mentioned that I have never got through this film with out bawling my eyes out😕😂

But even despite the tears, I still love how it left me feeling.😊

Ax

I absolutely agree. It brought my journey into much clearer focus. I also made me think, how could I have been so willfully blind for so long, so intent on avoiding the truth?

22 hours ago, Jandi said:

I first saw this before I admitted to myself who I was.   

It made me very uncomfortable at the time.

17 hours ago, Hannah Renee said:

I also made me think, how could I have been so willfully blind for so long, so intent on avoiding the truth?

It is a thing.

I watched it last night. I liked it, it's kind of sad though. It's based on a fictionalized account of two very real people. Lilly was the second person to ever get vaginoplasty. Her wife actually left before her last surgery. Her body went into rejection with the transplanted uterus and passed away alone. Her wife went back to Denmark and died in financial straits. Sorry, for the nerd out. I love history. lol

• Forum Moderator

I watched The Danish Girl last night as well. I definitely related with Llly and her need to exist. Once I came out to my wife, I’m never going back into the closet. My favorite line of the movie, is at the very end when Lily describes her dream about being in her mothers arms. I would give the movie two thumbs up. 

Hugs 

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

• Forum Moderator
On 4/18/2022 at 8:41 AM, WillbeAlice said:

This is an absolutely stunning film, which I feel really captures the feelings of an inability to control your move toward womanhood brilliantly.

Even my wife got it, and I honestly believe gave her an insight into how impossible it is to ignore your feelings

Saw this movie in 2018, shortly before starting hormones and coming out to my wife. I cried so hard.

@WillbeAlice, I so agree your description of the movie.  Eddie Redmayne did such a great job with the role of Lili. It was very hard for me to watch at the time. I may have to revisit this movie again to watch it with my wife…she hasn’t seen it yet.

Susan R🌷

I saw it when it came out, and back then, as always, whenever I watched anything like that I worried that somehow my reactions were giving away my big secret to anyone in the vicinity. 

I hope we're done with the 'cis people getting the trans roles' era though (pretty much the entire era of filmed entertainment).

I LOVE The Danish Girl !

I knew of the movie but had not watched until about 2 years ago ... right in the middle of my own self-discovery and affirmation.  The scene when she first puts on stockings and holds the dress up to herself ... and the sudden connection to her identity ... THAT was so powerful and familiar.

Her entire journey resonated with a hopeful (and sometimes painful) feel that I recognize ... so it was both affirming and difficult to watch.  And as @Jamie73 said the true historical version has a much darker and sad outcome.  But that is often the case in stories of trailblazers.

I would hope my wife could watch this (she's never had an interest) and make a connection to the emotional and mental reality of my transgender identity.  But I am not confident she would. 

I am happy the movie is out there though ... specially for couples who are facing the same complexity of such a relationship.

Thanks for the review, have it on my watchlist. Helps ever so slightly.

If you’re looking for something else with a trans theme and have HBO max, I’d recommend Veneno. It’s a mini series about Spanish entertainer la veneno. Quite the trailblazer herself and like this movie was a real person. 

• 1 month later...

I was younger when I watched this film, and I cried watching the scenes on YouTube. I felt so much for Lily, and I realize now that I related to her in a way. That doesn't really capture the scope of how much I felt and still feel though. It's just a good film.