• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

My therapist

Tara37

I’m 37 years old and have never been in therapy. My wife has known about me being trans for several years now… She hates it. Well, one night we were talking and I told her about all of my suicidal thoughts. She then said that I needed to help. So, I started looking for a therapist. For me, I thought I needed to speak to a psychiatrist because I was pretty sure I needed meds. I looked and looked and looked for one. But in my small town of Ocala, Fl I couldn’t find ANYONE… I even looked at bigger cities around my town. I didn’t find anyone. I finally looked in Orlando, close to where I am, I thought I found a psychiatrist. I emailed the place and they didn’t have any openings, for her, for a very long time. But, they did suggest a therapist, intern, that works there also. I was a little hesitant at first; however, I knew it needed to speak with someone and fast. That was about six months ago. I was a little worried at first because I didn’t know if she had the experience working with our community. But, we connected right away. Now I don’t know how I ever made it without her! She is so amazing. She may not specialize in the transgender community. But, she has definitely taken the time to educate herself. At one of our sessions she even said she looked forward to seeing her favorite client before our session. I am so lucky to have her. She is absolutely amazing! Without her, I don’t know if I would still be here. 

I just thought I would make a positive post about therapy. You never know whose out there. I definitely recommend therapy!!!

Thank you - it's good to have this kind of positivity, especially for people who are in doubt about it, or who are having difficulty finding someone.

I think that a well-trained therapist has the basic skill set to adjust to the needs of the patient, and to go and learn about what is needed, or to consult with colleagues if necessary. My experience is that often the younger therapists actually do a very good job of it - they are keen, not set in their ways, and very enthusiastic about learning.

Well done , you! I hope people out there who are having doubts take a leaf from your book and find a good therapist in their area, even if they do not call themselves gender therapists.

57 minutes ago, Mary said:

Well done , you! I hope people out there who are having doubts take a leaf from your book and find a good therapist in their area, even if they do not call themselves gender therapists.

thank you for your comment! Getting in to therapy was extremely nerve racking. But now I can’t wait for our sessions. I whole heartedly suggest therapy for people. Just having that kind of unbiased nonjudgmental support is wonderful. 

• Forum Moderator

Thank you for sharing Tara.  My therapist was wonderful as well.  I think sometimes that folks often try to avoid therapy by launching into a "confirmed content" model.  They are missing an opportunity to find peace with themselves.

Hugs,

Charlize

Wonderful news @Tara37! Working with my gender therapist, who is simply amazing, is my first time in any therapy. For so long I didn't want to face what was going on inside my head, & I surely didn't want anyone else peeking in there. Having found AA, a place where I seek to be honest with myself & admit my secrets can kill me, allowed me to open up & start to trust. Having someone around as I crack open the lid & honestly look at me has been amazing. So happy you're having a positive experience too!

Hugs!

Delcina

1 hour ago, Delcina B said:

Wonderful news @Tara37! Working with my gender therapist, who is simply amazing, is my first time in any therapy. For so long I didn't want to face what was going on inside my head, & I surely didn't want anyone else peeking in there. Having found AA, a place where I seek to be honest with myself & admit my secrets can kill me, allowed me to open up & start to trust. Having someone around as I crack open the lid & honestly look at me has been amazing. So happy you're having a positive experience too!

Hugs!

Delcina

I feel as though I can hear your voice in my head when I read your comments. You seem like a really awesome person! It truly is amazing to have someone to confide in in a nonjudgmental way. I don’t know where I would be right now without her. Trying to figure out life really sucks. But, with a therapist it makes it a little easier. 

13 hours ago, Charlize said:

Thank you for sharing Tara.  My therapist was wonderful as well.  I think sometimes that folks often try to avoid therapy by launching into a "confirmed content" model.  They are missing an opportunity to find peace with themselves.

Hugs,

Charlize

I really hope I can find inner peace in all of this. I am very hopeful and working through a LOT of things. 

Thank you Tara, you make me blush, & yet one of my first unconscious thoughts is to tell you, "No, I'm not!" Yet, maybe I am, I surely didn't used to be. It isn't solely of my own doing, I just rolled off the counter & cracked the shell. The neat thing is, figuring out life doesn't have to be a solo act, it's a whole lot easier when I confide in my therapist & other transgenders. The "Others don't know" panes of Johari's window get smaller, & the "I know" panes keep getting clearer.

Hugs!

Delcina,

9 minutes ago, Delcina B said:

Thank you Tara, you make me blush, & yet one of my first unconscious thoughts is to tell you, "No, I'm not!" Yet, maybe I am, I surely didn't used to be. It isn't solely of my own doing, I just rolled off the counter & cracked the shell. The neat thing is, figuring out life doesn't have to be a solo act, it's a whole lot easier when I confide in my therapist & other transgenders. The "Others don't know" panes of Johari's window get smaller, & the "I know" panes keep getting clearer.

Hugs!

Delcina,

I love reading your comments, they make me smile. Thank you!

I'm not sure I would be alive if it wasn't for my therapist. My first one was a -crap- therapist but he didn't hesitate to get me referrals and started on transitioning. He left the practice and I was so upset but then I switched to another guy there and he has been an amazing help.  There are months that I think I don't need one and then all of a sudden, something triggers or happens and I start to crash and he helps me process and change my thought patterns (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy).

I think everyone needs a therapist. We all have work to do. lol

31 minutes ago, Bri2020 said:

I'm not sure I would be alive if it wasn't for my therapist. My first one was a -crap- therapist but he didn't hesitate to get me referrals and started on transitioning. He left the practice and I was so upset but then I switched to another guy there and he has been an amazing help.  There are months that I think I don't need one and then all of a sudden, something triggers or happens and I start to crash and he helps me process and change my thought patterns (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy).

I think everyone needs a therapist. We all have work to do. lol

I have read so many stories like yours. I know that I am so lucky to have found a therapist on the first shot. She’s an intern. But, she’s so intuitive. Getting in to therapy was extremely nerve racking for me. If I hadn’t been so lucky and found someone on the first shot I don’t think I would have continued. 
My therapist also practice’s CBT as well as mindfulness. At times I have also thought that I don’t need therapy. However, that only lasts a day or so for me. I have been having a lot of crashes lately. So, I keep seeing my amazing therapist and she helps reel me in. 
Thank you for commenting and sharing. I keep checking this site every few hours to see if anyone has written in. This place is very helpful. As much as I wouldn’t wish this on anyone It’s refreshing to know that I’m  not alone