• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What is the most important freedom you have or wish for?

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

In the U.S. today is celebrated as a day of freedom. What freedom is the most important to you? Do you have that freedom or do you still hope for the day you have that freedom? 

The founders, especially Alexander Hamilton in the Federalist Papers, believed that the First Amendment was most important because it guaranteed all our other freedoms, followed by the Second because it ensured the first. With all that's happening in our country these days, I'm not sure that any of our freedoms are guaranteed anymore. I still believe in the ideals presented in our constitution, and when I have to think about it, I tend to agree with the founders.

Perhaps the greatest freedom of all is to simply follow the Golden Rule. To do unto others as we would have them do unto us. It would be nice to actually see thatnowadays.

41 minutes ago, Marcie Jensen said:

The founders, especially Alexander Hamilton in the Federalist Papers, believed that the First Amendment was most important because it guaranteed all our other freedoms, followed by the Second because it ensured the first. With all that's happening in our country these days, I'm not sure that any of our freedoms are guaranteed anymore. I still believe in the ideals presented in our constitution, and when I have to think about it, I tend to agree with the founders.

Perhaps the greatest freedom of all is to simply follow the Golden Rule. To do unto others as we would have them do unto us. It would be nice to actually see thatnowadays.

Amen sis!

1 hour ago, Heather Shay said:

In the U.S. today is celebrated as a day of freedom. What freedom is the most important to you? Do you have that freedom or do you still hope for the day you have that freedom? 

We have some freedom but I don't think we are as free as we think. I wish for the freedom to be myself.

really appreciate the words of the Declaration of Independence...that people are endowed with inalienable rights by their Creator.  As in, rights are NOT given by government.  Government is meant to secure those rights...and if it doesn't do so it gets replaced!  Today, those who live in a modern and relatively free nation don't get how revolutionary that idea was 250 years ago.  

My rights to speak freely, worship, get together with others, defend myself, and be secure in my body, home, and personal space are given by my Creator, and simply described by the Constitution. Not to be taken away by any person or institution, or voted away.

1 minute ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

really appreciate the words of the Declaration of Independence...that people are endowed with inalienable rights by their Creator.  As in, rights are NOT given by government.  Government is meant to secure those rights...and if it doesn't do so it gets replaced!  Today, those who live in a modern and relatively free nation don't get how revolutionary that idea was 250 years ago.  

My rights to speak freely, worship, get together with others, defend myself, and be secure in my body, home, and personal space are given by my Creator, and simply described by the Constitution. Not to be taken away by any person or institution, or voted away.

Amen sis!

18 minutes ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

WELL SAID! WELL SAID, INDEED!

I also think that what we forget, myself included, is that with rights come responsibilities.  Nowadays, we all demand our rights, yet don't always own up to having responsibilities that go with them. It's also interesting to note that the Founders recognized that our rights; our freedoms; are not automatically given us. They are always secured by the blood of patriots and to this end, every signer of teh Declaration pledgee their "lives, fortunes and sacred honor." Somethin to think about...

5 minutes ago, Marcie Jensen said:

WELL SAID! WELL SAID, INDEED!

I also think that what we forget, myself included, is that with rights come responsibilities.  Nowadays, we all demand our rights, yet don't always own up to having responsibilities that go with them. It's also interesting to note that the Founders recognized that our rights; our freedoms; are not automatically given us. They are always secured by the blood of patriots and to this end, every signer of teh Declaration pledgee their "lives, fortunes and sacred honor." Somethin to think about...

Indeed.  And a lot of the signers lost their lives and their fortunes.  They were actively targeted for their involvement.  We should be equally aware and prepared.  

My husband teaches politics and military theory to youth in our community.  He always couples each right with a responsibility, such as the right to speak freely comes with the responsibility to speak the truth, even when it is unpopular or dangerous.

Modern folks sometimes fault the Founders for some flaws they had.  They were men of their ethnicity and time.  We have had to make (belated) progress towards really extending those rights to everyone. But without that initial step, it is likely that this nation would not exist as a democratic Republic, and without that influence much of the world might still be under monarchy.  

@awkward-yet-sweetYou are so right in what you've said. I spent 24 years as a soldier, and my bachelor's degree is in history, so I can really relate to what you're saying. And, compliments to your husband. The country needs more people like him.

14 minutes ago, Marcie Jensen said:

@awkward-yet-sweetYou are so right in what you've said. I spent 24 years as a soldier, and my bachelor's degree is in history, so I can really relate to what you're saying. And, compliments to your husband. The country needs more people like him.

My husband was a National Guard NCO, and coordinates our county's security/defense.  One of my other partners is a county reserve sergeant.  I grew up in a military/LEO family.  Sometimes I guess I take it for granted that people think about politics and history, but perhaps a lot of people are unaware.

21 minutes ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

My husband was a National Guard NCO, and coordinates our county's security/defense.  One of my other partners is a county reserve sergeant.  I grew up in a military/LEO family.  Sometimes I guess I take it for granted that people think about politics and history, but perhaps a lot of people are unaware.

Please thank them both for their service and service and sacrifice. And you too. I believe very strongly that the families of LEO/military personnel have it rougher than their serving family members. Families sacrifice so much when their SO/father/mother/child/etc is deployed or on duty.

Honestly, I'm pretty jaded about it at this point. At best. For reasons. Out of respect for the fact that this isn't the politics section of the board, that's all I'm going to say. Probably for the best anyway.

• Forum Moderator

I'm going to say I wish I had the freedom to be totally me and accepted as totally me.

56 minutes ago, Heather Shay said:

I'm going to say I wish I had the freedom to be totally me and accepted as totally me.

I think you're speaking for all of us, Heather.

6 hours ago, Marcie Jensen said:

Families sacrifice so much when their SO/father/mother/child/etc is deployed or on duty.

True.  2020 really made me aware of it with all the unrest. 

The one freedom I wish I had was the ability to be legally married.  I'm not my husband's only partner, and his female partners are also my partners.  We're recognized by God and community, but without the automatic protections of the law regarding insurance, inheritance, healthcare, etc...  I get that it might be complex to pass legislation (especially since we're a tiny minority), but it would be nice.  As society expands its understanding of partnership and family, maybe we'll get there someday. 

• Forum Moderator

(Disclaimer: I am a foreigner!)

I enjoy the freedom to be myself.  I present as a woman and am accepted as such.  Lots of people have never known me as anyone but Kathy.

I no longer have to pretend to be a man.  I did that for six decades, and the freedom from that is delicious.  I savour it every day.

Still, as you all know only too well, that freedom is precarious.  Our country follows trends in yours a few years later.  If your country descends into fascism, ours will follow. 

I served my country for eight years, and I would be willing to do so again if that is what it took to defend our freedom.  But I am too old for that now.  So I will fight that descent in any way I can, and hope that the younger generations can keep this country sane.

15 hours ago, Jaycie said:

The way things are heading for the LGBTQ+ community in general and trans people in specifically, the freedom to exist without the fear of being forced to de-transition because of the hateful viewpoints of others!!! 

So true!

16 hours ago, Jaycie said:

The way things are heading for the LGBTQ+ community in general and trans people in specifically, the freedom to exist without the fear of being forced to de-transition because of the hateful viewpoints of others!!! 

This.

I actually got involved over the weekend with a group at the Court Square.

image.jpeg.86a8c7a2842bc98ce2de6db3a9e0d214.jpeg

• Forum Moderator
18 hours ago, Heather Shay said:

I'm with you, Heather. Yet that right is being taken not by local Gov. but most of my family.

Kymmie

1 hour ago, Jaycie said:

Thank you!!! I'm very worried about this actually!!! I'm in OH and its potentially very possible to lose anything our state government/representatives do not agree with!!! Voting is not even a true remedy here as it is in lots of places!!!

You are so right about voting @Jaycie. Sadly, we, the populace, have reached a point in this country when both major parties are controlled by special interest groups, and no matter what party we vote for, nothing changes. Every one of us SHOULD be worried about what's going on as our basic freedoms are eroding quickly. Thank you @Jandifor getting involved. I think it's time for me to do so as well. It's time for all of us to get involved.

Benjamin Franklin was once famously asked about what type of government the writers of the constitution had come up with. He replied, "A democratic republic; if you can keep it." Almost 230 years since the constitution was written. I think it's time to listen to Franklin's words.

• Forum Moderator

Yes - Ohio seems to be rubbing it's grubby little hands with Republican majority to erase trans existence through legislation - look at trans in sports - now they can check genitals - talk about invasion of privacy. I'm fearful the right to have surgery will be taken away before I'm able to have my wife on-board.

37 minutes ago, Jaycie said:

The Republican party who bills itself the party of "personal" freedom sure loves to take it away when it does not suit them.

When they say "freedom" what they really mean is "freedom to oppress and to force my way on others". It's the only "freedom" they really care about. That and shooting people. They love that one. ("Because after all, how can we ever have a revolution if attempting to overthrow the government isn't legal?" Brilliant...🙄)

2 hours ago, Jaycie said:

Thank you!!! I'm very worried about this actually!!! I'm in OH and its potentially very possible to lose anything our state government/representatives do not agree with!!! Voting is not even a true remedy here as it is in lots of places!!!

I'm so tired of this state being gerrymandered to hell, and furious at that federal court that stuck their nose in to allow them to continue their flagrantly illegal maps. And all they had to do to make it happen was violate their deadlines! And naturally, they get off scot-free.

1 minute ago, Jaycie said:

Sorry gerrymandering is something that makes me particularly angry

This is the real "rigging" of the elections, and both parties do it when they have the chance.  I think there are a few states trying to stop this, but I won't hold my breath.

1 minute ago, Jandi said:

This is the real "rigging" of the elections, and both parties do it when they have the chance.  I think there are a few states trying to stop this, but I won't hold my breath.

Yea, here in Ohio, this was actually one of the states that tried to stop it. I think it was about 10 years ago, IIRC, they put into a public vote a proposed...law, or state constitution amendment, or something...that would outlaw gerrymandered district maps in the state. Well, it passed. And this year was the year to redraw the maps again. But the board in charge of redrawing the maps was republican-controlled (one of the members was our state governor, DeWine (GOP) ), and they completely disregarded the anti-gerrymandering law, kept ignoring their map-making deadlines, kept submitting clearly gerrymandered maps, which the Ohio supreme court kept rejecting as illegally gerrymandered. (Oh, also, one of the dissenters on the Ohio supreme court just happens to be the governor's own son. And no, he didn't recuse himself.) Well, then the GOP went to some federal court who was willing to overrule the Ohio supreme court and let them get their illegal map in place on the condition that they violate their deadlines first. Yup, you read that right.