• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Necklace storage (vs tangles and cats)

Heather Nicole

When it comes to necklaces and other jewelry, I feel very much that I'm playing catch-up from where I last left off...about 4 or so years old (ie, I know that I like jewelry, and I know that I like "pretty" and "shiny", etc, but that's where my background stalled, so now I'm playing catch-up on everything else there is to know...)

Currently, I have one of those organizational...ugh, I can't seem to find an example of it, but it's like a cloths hanger up top, but then it drapes down from that and has lots of little pockets on both sides (basically like an "over the door shoe organizer", but with smaller pockets.) Most of what I've been storing in that, including anklets, seems to work fine. But sticking a necklace into one of those pockets...well, no matter how carefully I fold or wrap the chain, it inevitably comes back out needing a microscopic equivalent of "de-tangling last year's Christmas lights".

I've seen plenty of "simple" organizational recommendations involving various displays you can just hang your necklaces and other jewelry on, and leave them "on display", but...uhmmm...I don't get the feeling that any of the "organization experts" who suggest those have ever lived with a cat.

Any advice? Beyond just the usual "You have a cat. Accept the random inevitable. Accept chaos and wanton destruction."

I live with cats.... a lot of it comes down to the personality of the cat.  We have an older calico who is enormous and mostly lethargic.  That cat can come and go as she pleases and doesn't get into anything.  Hold the cat, provide potato chips and ice cream, and there's zero chaos.  The one issue with her is that she is big enough that she can open doors by twisting a knob or pulling a lever. 

Then there's the two younger cats.  And they get into everything.  I can see how necklaces could be a problem with a younger, more energetic animal.  Often we end up with shredded bathroom towels, food containers opened, and dishes knocked off the counter.  You cat-proof as best you can, and the primary way to do that is to keep them out of selected areas.  We keep the energetic ones out of the bedroom, and try not to even let the calico in there.  If you can just close off your bedroom, that would probably the best option.If that doesn't work, a tub or container with a lid that seals.  Or a chest or jewelry box...just any kind of container they can't open.  Thankfully they don't have opposable thumbs!

Also, distraction.  Have something that cats find more entertaining. We have a large cat tree with carpet and places they can hide.  Hanging rope or string with a knot at the end can be more entertaining than a necklace.  Maybe a string with one of those Christmas jingle bells on it, and of course shiny/glittery stuff.  Large enough the cat can't eat or choke on it, small enough to be easily batted around.  We also have interactive toys, like lasers and a remote control rat they can chase.  A tired cat is less likely to get curious. 

• 4 months later...

Heather, drinking straws will keep your chains from tangling in storage. You can cut to size and even close them with a lighter if needed.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Kastia said:

Heather, drinking straws will keep your chains from tangling in storage. You can cut to size and even close them with a lighter if needed.

Could you post a picture of how that is done??  It should work, but I am curious as to how you do it. 

I think I'm too new to post pics.

But you can run one side through and then clasp it. This works well for pendants. Or you can seal a straw end with a lighter and put entire thing inside, there's not enough room for it to tangle inside. If you seal the 2nd side then it can totally float around in your purse/make-up bag and be fine. When you want to take it out a nail clipper works well to snip off where you sealed it and voila'. 

• Forum Moderator

I have mine in a jewelry box.  I did the micro-christmas-light-detangling thing for a while.  But then I started storing my necklaces in the box by holding the pendant and lowering it while the chain piles up in a little pile.  The pendant then sits on top of the chain.  I have never had a tangle since I started doing that.