• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Do you like where you're at in regard to your life journey?

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

For me - I'm closer - but nowhere near where I want to be.

With how things are, I can like something about it. Since I turned another year older, my goal until the next is to be more out so I can live as the person I want to be. I wanted to at least be on HRT at this point but life is always the unworking of our plans. We can only be happy with what we have and glad something has changed that was different before.

At least one thing that's good is the ability to have hair styles and clothing that reflect the way I want to present. 😁

• Forum Moderator

Tricky one. I like some of it? I mean I've made some real progress in the last couple of years, but I still feel like I'm behind. I know that it's stupid, because I'm only in competition with myself, but I've still got a sense that I should have my life more together.

Still, I'm making progress. The best time to get my act together would have been three decades ago. The second best time is now.

Hugs!

I am currently in a very good place and simply feel content. I have experienced a significant amount of growth and acceptance over this year with the help of therapy. I've found a set of coping techniques that have allowed to me to survive setbacks and manage them.

I still have things to accomplish, choices to make and continue to live fully. I am looking forward with joy, engagement and humility. I have accepted the past is gone and that I can move forward. I am at peace.

I like that things are moving along. i have some family that supports me that is great. some that dont they are losing out on being around me. i have supper good doctors and nurses and a really good therapist.  after a year i am getting a grip on my life and it feels really good. i know its hard but you just have to keep plugging, hang in there, and find people to talk to.

At a personal level yea. I dont have any thing to complain about. Hrt has done wonders. I pass, and don't have any issues even in a small town. I have great friends, and a even more lovely girl friend. Who is a 11/10 on the hotness scale. Still have no clue how I pulled that off. 

From a money standpoint. Not so much. I'm working a dead end job. A job I took recently. Because I was told it was full time. Turns out it wasn't, and I only came on yo this job for that, and the position they said they wanted me for. Well I found out today. They filled that position, so back to the job hunt I guess. Im also working on starting my own business about this time next year. I refuse after 37 years. To let others control how munch money I make. 

All I can say is that, when compared to 3 years ago, I am in a better place. My mental health has improved and my self worth actually exists! I get proud of myself when I enjoy my hobbies and work, so that's a good thing. 

But, medical transitioning is so important to me but the barrier that doesn't let me cross to it becomes bigger everyday. While I am making progress with my doctor, the conversation hasn't been brought up yet. 

Definitely in a better place now then compared to this time last year. Still a bit of a ways to go, but I'm getting there. Hoping to start HRT sometime in the next year, but we'll see. 

Yeah, I guess so.  

Really, I'm kinda in the winding down stage of life now.  It took this long to figure out who I am.  But that's okay.  I don't regret my past life.  In a lot of ways it has made the now possible.

I didn't expect to live this long anyway.  I've started a new chapter, and I kinda like it.

There's challenges of course.  I'm trying to work through my legal name change now.  Lot of hoops to jump through.  

We don't stop changing or growing till we leave this place.  After that, I don't know what.

Big definite "nope" for me. I often feel like I got thrown into time-warp and trapped 20 or so years into the future - only it's one of those "wrong futures", like in a sci-fi show, where I'd be supposed to return back to "present-day" so I can avoid my life going down this branch.

Oh, well. I'm doing the best I can to move forward, at least.

This is a tricky question. Today I’d say yes, I do like where I am, but a week ago I might have said no, and maybe next week I will too. The best thing about my life is that I’m excited about the future — hopeful, sometimes even euphoric. I also seem to be constantly learning and developing, something I spent many years not doing in the past. 

Thank you Heather! You gave me pause, it seems like life moves so fast, always focusing on the moment, it's been a while since I thought about what I want to be when I grow up. All in all with what I have to work with, me as I am, yes. If my fairy godmother had set me down when I was ten & said, "Del, you know these thoughts & feelings you're having? Well you have a choice to make, you can be the boy your body presents, or you can be the girl who's inside. Which will it be?" Feeling how I feel today, a transgender woman in transition, I would say, "I'll be a girl," but I've had life experiences trying to be a man, I might not have had as a woman. I regret not being able to carry a child & give birth, & yet today I am able to love, nurture & teach two beautiful granddaughters filling in most ways a motherly role. Are there parts of my journey into my femme I wish were already me, yes, I'm still traveling. As @Betty K said, "I'm excited about the future - hopeful, sometimes even euphoric."

I'm closer to where I'd like to be...but I know I'll never get there on this side of Heaven.  Not really supposed to, actually - at least that's what I believe.  In an imperfect world, progress is the best I can get.  But there's great moments along the way!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes very much. But I won't more I would love to be a peer counselor or peer mentor. I was a peer mentor for 6 month with the gender journeys program. I am a goal oriented person and thing that would bring a needed skill, and hey I care an am compassion it.

Advocacy is another area I would like to dip my feet into, but haven't been able to yet.