• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Benzo's etc

ThiefOfAlways

The only way to get my head speeding around like crazy is with Benzodiazepines.

Where I live it is easy to get, but I don't want it.

But my dysphoria only goes away with benzo's.

Help....???

• 2 months later...

I know this is necro'ing this thread, but I feel this is a really important question.  I've felt the same way, and used benzo's to manage my dysphoria, depression and anxiety.  The problem with benzo's is they're at best a short term solution and over the long run addiction to benzo's causes way more problems then the issues they were meant to manage.  They can have a place in managing difficult emotions, but they need to be a part of a systematic approach that includes learning skills that can help manage dysphoria and other issues, such as mindfulness practices or the skills that are part of cognitive behavioral therapy.  You should engage with a substance use counselor as well as a therapist and psychiatrist, who could prescribe any benzo's with medical support if they're appropriate.

I think of dealing with this kinds of issues as building a team to support me in meeting my goal of managing my challenging emotions and of maintaining my sobriety. I personally used not only benzo's, but heroin/oxycontin and cocaine.  6 years sober now, and if sobriety is what you want i feel its great to get people on your team, counselors etc. That means you're not alone.

You can do it!

@ThiefOfAlways sorry I missed this & sorry you didn't receive replies before. 

@Kerry_Autumn on the contrary (contrary to necro'ing, lol) I agree this is an important question. You wrote many things I relate to - benzo dependence, heroin addiction, CBT, mindfulness practices. 

Of all the substances I've withdrawn from, including heroin, benzos were by far the worst. (Incidentally, I'd rank cigarettes worse than heroin!) I wish docs would use greater caution in prescribing them. I do not believe they should be used routinely. They seem to allow any natural, physiological ability to manage stress to atrophy...geez, do you have to pay the piper with benzos. 

Indeed, methods Kerry mentioned are proven to help metabolize stress, including dysphoria. The difficult news is that it takes effort and a fair degree of providence to find a therapist/teacher/source that resonates with you. The very good news is that it is always possible to learn new skills, you are your own source of practice and relief, and the more you practice such skills, the greater your faith that "this too shall pass" becomes.

With the right guidance, some balance between "better living through chemistry" and skill in action may be found. 

@Vidanjali Thanks for the mention, I would reemphasize that finding other to manage ways takes time, often years.  I've personally found that things can really start to make positive changes after you've put in the groundwork to build skills to manage difficult emotions.

I love "better living through chemisty"!  Look, substance use is a part of life for the majority of people in the US, and much of the world.  Think about caffeine, nicotine (which i agree is totally harder to quit the either heroin or cocaine/crack).  Even sugar, with the high concentration corn syrup we use, acts almost like a drug in the human body.  Then alcohol, don't even get me started.  Benzodiazepine withdraw is the only type of withdraw that can outright kill you besides alcohol.  Throw in Rx meds like benzo's and opiates etc. and you can begin to see how many people have some kind of relationship to a mind altering substance in their daily lives.

Balance in all things, and just as it's said that nothing worthwhile is gained easily, the same hold true for finding ways to deal with difficult emotions and feelings.  Find support and put in the work, it's the only thing that works long term. (At least I keep telling myself that on the hard days! 😱

Btw; finding and giving support is why I'm on here so anyone reading this is already a step ahead 😁.

My GF (to my knowledge) hasn't dealt with benzo's, but she's a recovering narcotics addict.  From what I know of her experience, you have to have a goal, a reason not to use, and people to help you.  For my GF, I think her big reason was that she didn't want me to find out and not date her.  I only learned about it later.  But she's got our whole family in her corner, helping her stay clean. 

Nothing worthwhile is gained easily, as @Kerry_Autumn said.  I would add that nothing worthwhile happens alone.  You need somebody...not always a professional, just somebody.  And even better is to have more than one somebody, if possible.  Real people understand that everybody deals with some kind of addiction in this broken world.  It is part of the human condition...whether is is narcotics, alcohol, online shopping, or political power.  Everybody has a struggle.  You're not broken, you're human.  A human with troubles, but also a human made in the Divine Image, which means you have eternal value no matter how today looks.  🥰

I love to hear examples of people NOT stigmatizing others for their history of substance use!!!  Internalized stigma is a big reason many people don't seek help for substance use issues.