• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Electrolysis

Suzanne44

Hi it's Suzanne

I am at the very beginning of my transition. I've been using razors and or epilator/shave on my body hair. I've been looking into laser hair removal and electrolysis I've a few questions.

1. Are home laser hair removal devices any good. (Body)

2. Are home electrolysis hair removal devices any good. (Face)

3. I live in the u.k does anyone know if I can get electrolysis done on the N.H.S 

I would appreciate any help and advice on this subject. Thank you.

As always<3 Suzanne

Edited by Jani
Fixed formatting

It's Suzanne

Sorry about the mistakes in how my post is set out and the auto correct on (shave)which tuned out shaved.

❤️ Suzanne

• Forum Moderator

Fixed.

I don't believe any of the home laser's are strong enough to do any good.  At least where I live, there is a reason why operators are licensed by the state.  It could be a dangerous thing to do without training. 

Electrolysis is something you need extensive training on to do well.  Plus unsterile needles can cause problems.  

Have you tried looking on the NHS website for the answer to your question?  

Jani

On 10/30/2022 at 10:53 AM, Suzanne44 said:

1. Are home laser hair removal devices any good. (Body)

I have the one from Tria Beauty (It claims to be significantly better than any of the others. I couldn't say whether that's true or not as I've never used any other). I used it for upper chest, and the backs of hands and feet. Progress with it was slow, but after several months there was a definite and significant reduction in hair. It didn't eliminate all of it, but I do feel like it made a big improvement and gave me a big head start on any further professional hair removal.

That was a little over a year ago at this point, and so far the results have stayed. I haven't noticed any regrowth (Although I did start HRT several months ago).

Of course, being laser, results will vary considerably depending how dark the hair is. Most of mine was very dark, with very light skin, so I was somewhat of an ideal case. Most of the hair that remains ranges from very light to medium or so.

Hi it's Suzanne

Thank you both for your input and advice it is greatly appreciated. I will definitely try to find more info on the NHS website, I'll also do more research into the different types of laser hair removal device's. Thank you again.

❤️ Suzanne 

Hi Suzanne.

My belief is that you can get both electrolysis and laser on the NHS….but not much and only after a confirmed diagnosis from the Gender Identity Clinic for your area.

My local GIC (York/Leeds) will fund a maximum 8 hours of laser or 16 hours of electrolysis. With the best will in the world this is not going to totally eliminate facial hair (but will obviously help)

I would also add that with the current waiting lists on the NHS it may be some time before your treatment will begin - checking the updated waiting list at my GIC today, they are currently looking at arranging initial appointments for people referred in November 2018 😕 (So if you haven’t referred yet, just do it - you will have years to ponder whether it is the right thing for you or not)

My personal recommendation would be to find a local licensed electrolysis/laser practitioner and ask their advice (hair colour makes a difference), and just get on with it yourself.

Good luck in your journey - it’s a rollercoaster, but it can be a hugely positive change in your life (certainly is being for me🙂)

Dee. X

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Suzanne - I personally bought a package on my laser treatments consisting of 8 - 1 hour sessions. This has eliminated all but a few dark hair of my thick, heavy facial hair. I had 1 free session after 6 months beyond the end of the treatments for any catchup / stubborn growth - upper lip and chin areas mainly.

I have been doing electrolysis once a week since February of this year. I would skip aa week before and after a laser session. My grey hair has been reduced to odd fine hair now from sideburns to less than an inch of my lip and chin. My electrologist has 20 years experience and thanks to her, I am glad that I switched Spas back in January.

So this year - dark hair is gone and grey hair is well on its way though it will definitely be more than a year to complete facial hair removal.

So glad also, that i scrapped the epilator early on in this process. It was a lot more painful than electrolysis ( both with no pain or skin anaesthetic.

Just what has worked for me Suzanne.  Good Luck.

Big Canadian Hug

JoniSteph

Hi Jonisteph

Thank you for you information and sharing your experience with me. I too have scrapped the epilator because it was too painful. I'm now looking into laser hair removal. I've also decided against home electrolysis due to the risks.

I will provide my advice here - home options need a massive amount of time commitment.  I started removing my body and facial hair (shaving) in 1986 and copped a fair bit of slack for doing so.  I suggest starting with professional laser hair removal as soon and young as possible, and realize that it isn't effective for white (and blonde?) hairs and it's not very effective for "red" hairs.  Ultimately though, if you are seeking to be permanently hair free on an area of your body, you will need to move onto electrolysis.  I have been undergoing electrolysis for a little over thirteen months - weekly 1hr sessions for the first 9-10 months then slowly winding back, currently fortnightly.  I have very little hair on my neck and face now and what remains can only be seen when viewed close up.  I've started having my electrologist shape my eyebrows to fill up my 1hr sessions. 

Electrolysis specific advice.
Be patient and prepared for the long haul, even a good electrologist will only remove around 500 hairs in a one hour session.  I had far less facial and neck hairs than most biological males, but it's still taken a very long time.  I could almost fall asleep during laser treatments, no chance of that with electrolysis.  The area below the nose is the most painful area I've had treated although the eyebrows and immediately adjacent to the lip hair aren't much better.   I've found the treatment of the rest of the face to be merely uncomfortable/unpleasant.  Actually, the worst part of electrolysis for me is dealing with dysphoria between appointments for the first 8-9 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Suzanne44, I just wanted to agree with @Trans22 that hair removal by laser and/or electrolysis will be a long haul. The heavier the beard and the thicker the hair will determine as to the time spent with the hair colors setting the method to be used. Within a couple more sessions I will be starting in the area around the mouth,  bring on the EMLA numbing cream - LOL.

I also share Trans22 dislike for the dysphoria of having to wear hair on my face for 3/4 days between sessions to allow sufficient growth.

Big Canadian Hug

JoniSteph

• 2 months later...

I have used home laser on my legs, underarm and pubic area. All those places have a very small amount of hair. Need to shave l20230228_195554.thumb.jpg.b2759120c96ce6018d46d38a69b75acf.jpgegs once a month same as underarm

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 10:33 PM, Trans22 said:

I will provide my advice here - home options need a massive amount of time commitment.  I started removing my body and facial hair (shaving) in 1986 and copped a fair bit of slack for doing so.  I suggest starting with professional laser hair removal as soon and young as possible, and realize that it isn't effective for white (and blonde?) hairs and it's not very effective for "red" hairs.  Ultimately though, if you are seeking to be permanently hair free on an area of your body, you will need to move onto electrolysis.  I have been undergoing electrolysis for a little over thirteen months - weekly 1hr sessions for the first 9-10 months then slowly winding back, currently fortnightly.  I have very little hair on my neck and face now and what remains can only be seen when viewed close up.  I've started having my electrologist shape my eyebrows to fill up my 1hr sessions. 

Electrolysis specific advice.
Be patient and prepared for the long haul, even a good electrologist will only remove around 500 hairs in a one hour session.  I had far less facial and neck hairs than most biological males, but it's still taken a very long time.  I could almost fall asleep during laser treatments, no chance of that with electrolysis.  The area below the nose is the most painful area I've had treated although the eyebrows and immediately adjacent to the lip hair aren't much better.   I've found the treatment of the rest of the face to be merely uncomfortable/unpleasant.  Actually, the worst part of electrolysis for me is dealing with dysphoria between appointments for the first 8-9 months.

Can confirm.  I'm late 40's so have a mix of dark and white aged hairs on my face (very few white hairs on body though) and I've skipped IPL and gone straight to electrolysis.  That was a mistake I think.  Other trans people I know of similar age went with laser on the dark hairs and used electro to 'finish up' or remove those few spots the IPL didn't sort.  As it happens I've had 5x 35m sessions so far and I do have areas on my top lip that are now hair free but its red there, with some pitting, and you can see it through light foundation.  I usually have my session on a Thursday afternoon and my last proper shave is a Monday/Tuesday morning so I have the 1/2mm (at least) hair showing for the tweezers to grab.

It is painful but bearable for the most part, and the left side of my face is WAY more sensitive to it than the other for some reason and I am using numbing cream 30-40m before my session.

My electro therapist recommended I try IPL on my neck and cheecks etc whilst she does my top lip and chin, and advised laser doesn't work for everyone and on some its not permanent either.  I may well try it, and I've also just got a Panasonic handheld IPL machine for my body. That does work on my test patch but the hair has started to grow back after a month or so.  I suspect if I keep doing it I may see improved results (it wasn't cheap, about £300 or so).

Apart from the pain, the worst part is having the hair there.  I don't feel like I can dress femme with any stubble at all so I'm skinny jeans and hoodie for the time I have to wait for it to settle, and with my sessions being weekly I don't get hardly any time inbetween.   I've been invited to a girls night out end of the month so I've asked for a 2 week break so my skin can heal a bit better so doing makeup and such won't be as much an issue.