• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Anti "Drag" bill in Tenn.

Ivy

• Admin

We had them here in Los Angeles back in the 1940's until the late 1970's when one of the longest (8 weeks) and most expensive prosecutions in city history resulted in Not Guilty verdicts by a jury.  I was a Deputy Court Clerk in the courthouse where the trial was taking place, and I and many of my co-workers went into the gallery of the courtroom where it was taking place and it was indeed hilarious to hear and see Complaining Witnesses blushing and stuttering trying to describe what they had seen that was so terrible, and then being torn to ribbons by the defense attorneys when absolutely no two witnesses could describe the same thing.   

The earlier cases in San Francisco CA. of both the exotic dancer Sally Rand who did a Striptease routine with a WWII weather balloon covering her and then the Howard Hughes movie The Outlaw starring the rather buxom actress Jane Russell both ended up with Morals Charges, such as these laws are being overturned and deemed too costly to ever enforce.

I doubt such a law will be enforceable in the 21st century due to vagueness.  Easy to challenge in court.  I wish legislators would spend their time on things that are meaningful instead of political stunts.

24 minutes ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

I wish legislators would spend their time on things that are meaningful instead of political stunts.

Agreed

• Admin
1 hour ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

I doubt such a law will be enforceable in the 21st century due to vagueness.

Thee stories I mentioned above were in the 20th Century and not effectively enforceable back that far.  The enforcement took public money in the form of Police, Courts, and City Attorney's, and Juror Fees with not a single guilty verdict    None of us here will be able to agree what constitutes the offenses they are referring to, much less people who are not Trans / Enby /IS. 

On 11/11/2022 at 11:03 AM, VickySGV said:

@VidanjaliOr DRAB in the case of masculine affecting women.

I think not necessarily considering there are so many ways to express masculinity - one may be as fancy as one fancies. 

@Vidanjali  I found the RuPaul quote amusing, and was thinking to myself this morning....using that logic, the law might be OK with me.  I don't want to wear drag simply to avoid charges of "exposure."  😆

I'm not much of a TV watcher, but I remember when RuPaul's Drag Race was first on TV.  I still lived with my parents, who had cable, and my father went to the channel thinking it was a car program...😂