• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

ASL ? ... asked in FF XIV

Geona

So, recently I've started playing FFXIV again, after a long hiatus. Some background, the only MMO I've REALLY spent a lot of time on was Everquest, and that was 15-20 years back; even before WoW. My handle on MMO abbreviations is pretty outdated.

So this tall, pretty catgirl walk up to me and asks "asl?" (Then starts dancing around me when I don't answer immediately.) I had NO idea what she meant. Asked on the newbie channel.

Apparently it's "Age/sex/location."

In my case the middle one of these is something I'm still sort of figuring out; biologically male, but there are some fairly strong signs I'm trans F. (Therapist next week...)

Now the existence of the abbreviation suggests it's a common enough question, and I can definitely see the need. (I recall being hit on once at the original Geona, a halfling cleric in Everquest. I didn't realise that was what was happening to start with, as my real life romantic experience is approximately zero.) Geona's surname was "Gentleheart" which while pretty twee, might have been something of a flag, in several ways.

The answer I gave was "50+, M but may be trans F, Sydney". But there an etiquette for this stuff? It used to be that asking for real life details of a character was more or less anathema.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

• Jaime
    • Kate Rascali
    • MaryEllen
    • VickySGV
    • KathyLauren
    • Petra Jane
    • geekyalex
    • Mmindy
    • Jamey
    • Trans22
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

geekyalex
    Newest Member
    geekyalex

1. jessicajaxfl
      jessicajaxfl
    2. Mattnurcombe
      Mattnurcombe
      (25 years old)
    • VickySGV
      For me, all of that was 13 years ago, but the experience is "written in stone" in my memories.  We use the acronym YMMV for Your Mileage May Vary as far as the onset and completion of our new body features.  You are not alone, I experienced all of what you are talking about on MY schedule which was different, but it was a boulder rolling down the highway that would not stop, although I am now familiar with my body today and hormone effects are NOT NEW to me.  Welcome to the Forums, prior posts here cover the bases and little surprises the Admin/Moderators in regard to the questions you are asking.
    • geekyalex
      Trying to get as much information as possible, went to the gender clinic and we were talking about bottom surgery, I have dysphoria about down there. I have done some research on meta but it's hard to tell what is truth and what is just scaremongering and thought it would be better asking people that have went through it  I just want to know how many surgeries is there for meta? Has anyone experienced side effects, issues and or not happy with the outcome?  Is it worth all the risks etc?   
    • Trans22
      I learned that I was born with a female mind at the age of 52 - the word "transgender" didn't exist in my vocabulary at the time.  It took me about 2 months to accept that my psychologist's conclusion seemed to be correct.  The before and after story for me is like night and day and some of the changes happened almost overnight.  I'll summarize my situation by just saying that my mind really loved seeing me appear as a woman.  The more time I spent as a woman, the harder it was for me to continue my pretense of being the man that my biology suggested I should be.  For me, I didn't see living authentically as a choice because there was no acceptable alternative for me.  I'd lived in a world of confusion and depression for almost 40 years (the dark) and after experiencing "the light" I saw only one survival option - live authentically.   I started coming out in mid-late May 2022 with a few unplanned oversharing moments at work.  I was reborn on 1-Jun-2022, the day that I presented as a woman in public for the first time. My transition story is both embarrassing and amazing.   The embarrassing is because very few people were surprised by my coming out (long story) - in hindsight it's easy to see that my past existence was troubled because I could never hide my femininity.  The amazing because almost everyone has accepted me as a woman, in what most people describe as a very redneck or backwards town.  I am so glad that I never acted on my almost daily thoughts and dreams about ending my life, because I've finally experienced how great living can be. The biggest challenge facing me now is to heal my numerous open psychological wounds - I really hope that one day I can think or talk about my past without breaking down almost immediately.  This post has taken almost an hour to write because of my strong emotional response to even the briefest mention of my years of existence.
    • Trans22
      Hi.  I was so happy to be starting HRT on 16-Sep-2022 (52yo) that I cried on the drive to the clinic.  I'm now a little worried that changes are happening too quickly.  Most of the research I read said physical changes start between 3-6 months, my body started changing about 3 weeks after starting HRT with nipple tenderness/pain.    I'm now about 2.5 months in and have breasts bordering on A-cup already - my end goal was to have no bigger than A-cup breasts.  I never read any article that describe how much discomfort was associated with breast/nipple development.  I've had difficulty sleeping and wake up with back pain every morning - twisting my back to be comfortable, maybe.  I've made the mistake of starting to run, without a bra, a few times.  But the worst part is that I am always aware of the extra weight on my chest and that I seem to knock or irritate my breasts/nipples all the time, sometimes just with the clothes I wear.  Have other people experienced changes happening way ahead of "schedule" or am I a freak?
    • Mmindy
    • Mmindy
      @KymmieLI'm sorry for your family loss, and hope your wife finds comfort during this tough time.   Good afternoon everyone, We hosted Thanksgiving at our home, with both of our children, their spouses, and children. We also included a new boyfriend that my oldest granddaughter is courting. Also included were two college friends of our other granddaughter's who didn't travel to their homes for Thanksgiving. It was a total success, with everyone (17 total) crowding around our makeshift extended dining room table. Everyone was included in the conversation, and games. We used a whiteboard easel to play, group Pictionary, and Family Feud. At the end of the evening, the non family guests couldn't believe how much fun they had, and wished their families got along this well.   Best wishes,   Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋    
    • Mx.Drago
      You're way kinder than most known.
    • Mx.Drago
      I loath paperwork, anxiety through roof.
    • Ivy
      Not an expert, but from what I've heard it's "male pattern baldness" and you inherit it from your mother's side.  Yeah, a result of a hormone imbalance ("testosterone poisoning") in trans-girls). 
    • Abigail Eleanor
      After reading this entire topic I'm really curious about this PHR place in Chicago. It will be tough for me because I'm yet another person with insurance that won't cover any of this. I might be able to scrimp and save and try this. I'm almost at the point of contacting them for more info.    One thing I discovered; it seems they've changed the name of the business. Cirine Hair Removal and Skin Care. I'm pretty sure it's the same people, can anyone corroborate this?   I've already had about 20 hours of electrolysis in once-a-week sessions with a local electrologist. I'm about to change to a new one because I'm starting to feel the one I've been with is a bit clumsy with her technique 🙃    I noticed that PHR (Cirine?) has two locations, Wilmette and Chicago. Have y'all been going to Wilmette...has anyone used the Chicago one?   
    • Mmindy
      Anxiety took two days. Better now. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      @Vidanjali Interesting haircuts... one of my husband's sons has that spiky high fade going on.  Over the years, my hair has gotten shorter and shorter.  As a teenager, I had it medium length in a ponytail, identical to my sister.  I've been doing the "fluffy androgynous" look for a few years now.    I wonder why men lose their hair?  I've heard it is something about testosterone, which is why I'm not wild about doing any more T than just a little bit.  My husband's father lost a lot of hair in his 20's and 30's, but my husband has not.  Any idea why?     
    • Mmindy
      Hey there Luna,   Welcome to TransPulseForums, as you can see by the previous comments you're in a safe place with people who care about you, and will listen before they respond.   Best wishes, stay motivated, and safe,   Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Vidanjali
      @awkward-yet-sweet lately I've been rocking a high fade a bit like this fellow, but I don't spike up the fringe.    But, recently I've been inspired to grow it out a bit and go for a glam rock kind of look, like a younger Noel Fielding except shorter overall & I'm thinking baby bangs.    @Roach was a great day in total - it felt good to assert myself in a lighthearted manner with the guy.    I've been cutting my husband's hair since we got together in 2012. He says if I don't do it, he'll just shave his head. My Christmas wish is he'll open up to going to a barber shop. If I say so myself, I'm quite good at haircuts, but with my disability it's become more difficult. He's a lucky guy in that he HAS hair, 1st off, and that it is a lovely texture. 
    • Sally Stone
      I had the great pleasure of meeting a gentleman named Wayne Maines who has a transgender daughter named Nicole.  There is a book about she and her family titled "Becoming Nicole."  Wayne struggled to understand Nicole the same way your husband is struggling now.  The great news is that Mister Maines eventually came around and actually became a staunch advocate for Nicole as she transitioned.  This true story shows that there is hope, even when the situation looks bleak.  Perhaps you can somehow get your husband to read about Wayne Maines.   I wish you and your daughter all the best.  Your support of her is to be commended.  Dads can be amazingly resilient, so don't give up on your husband yet.  Maybe, if he is willing to read about another father going through a very similar situation will help him.    
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.