• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

After 27 hours of electrolysis, my take, plus a question.

Abigail Eleanor

Hello all, as stated I have done about 27 hours so far on my facial hair.  My electrologist thinks this will take two years at least to get my face done.  I am patient (I think). 🙃

I've read some of the threads in this section and I wanted to share my own experience with regard to the pain of the procedure.  So far the worst part has been the hairs just under the chin, the ones growing under the chin bone.  First time she started working there I had to end the session early (I had only used numbing cream on that area and no other areas had been prepped. I just couldn't take it any more.)😁

She told me that one reason it was so bad is that the hairs there are very densely packed together and that once she gets some of the density down it will get easier.  Turns out she is right; she has been on that area three times now and it definitely is more survivable than it was on the first entry there.  We have made huge progress on my upper lip, it's a cake walk now and I have no fear of her working there anymore.  As you might guess, I wanted her to start at the center because these areas inspire the most dysphoria for me. I'm seeing progress, the areas we've worked in are much less hairy now than they were. (but none are 'finished' yet) 🕰️

My question:  on a couple of occasions when the session was over and I was getting up off the table I caught sight of cotton balls with  blood on them.  I don't know if there is blood to be wiped up at every session or if these were just a couple of tough areas, but I wonder now, how normal is it for there to be bleeding during these sessions?  I have a mostly good impression of my electrologist but there are times I wonder if I could find a different one. They are hard to find though, every time I search on the 'net I get lots of links that feature the word electrolysis, but every time I check their web page it's all laser and no mention of electrolysis.  It seems these ads just pile a bunch of hair removal keywords into their descriptions so the search engines will bring customers in, and literal truth in advertising seems optional.  

Hi Abigail! Thank you for sharing your experience. I've yet to begin, but hope to soon. I'm so ready to get rid of the shadow around my mouth. It too hot in Florida most of the time for makeup, at least for this farm girl.

Hugs!

Delcina 

Hi Abigail,

I'm by no means an expert (there are girls here who've had way more electrolysis than I have) but I'm on my second electrolygist and I'm pretty confident she is a good one. 

A couple of questions before I tackle yours: Have you had the area waxed? This is something my current electrolygist insists on, but my former one did not. I suspect most don't. This is to ensure that all hairs she removes are in the anagen phase, during which electrolysis will be most effective. This, she says, saves both time and money. 

Also, presuming you don't have a face entirely full of grey hairs, have you had laser treatment? Laser will clear the brown hairs, not rapidly, but probably more cheaply than electrolysis, and with less time spent in pain and being treated. It is less likely to be permanent than electrolysis, and may require top-up treatments even after the main course of treatment is completed, but in my experience (I started over a year ago) the hair it removed has so far not come back.

As to the blood, no, I have never seen blood during any of my sessions, with either electrolygist. (I have done chest, belly and face.)

As a side note, I have noticed a difference between negative after-effects between the two electrolygists. After a session with my old electrolygist, I would be red for two days or so and would want to use an ice pack immediately. After a session with my current electrolygist, I recover quickly with little irritation and generally forget the icepack. I think it may be down to her aim.

I love my electrolygist and I highly recommend seeking another one if you have doubts concerning yours. Good luck!

Hi Betty and thank you for your ideas!  I have never tried waxing for this purpose but I want to investigate it now! Do you do it before every electrolysis session? Does your electrogist or someone in her office do the waxing?

Laser...nope never tried that either. I have a mixture of brown and grey so I think this idea could help me as well. 

Your comments about bleeding help confirm in my mind that this electrologist is not the best for me. Thanks again for your input. 🙂

Abigail, no, you don't need to wax before every session! Ideally, if you had the electrolysis done quickly enough, you would only need to wax once before starting, then the electrolygist could clear new hairs as they arrived, with none of them getting a chance to pass beyond the anagen stage. However in practice this might not be possible, so you'd wax again at a later date ideally decided by your electrolygist. Keep in mind that, for some people, having the face waxed is the most painful part of the process, so you don't want to do it more than is necessary. Also you have to let your facial hair grow for 10+ days before having it done, and in my case my face was puffy and red for 3-4 days afterwards. Oh, and yes my electrolygist did the waxing, free of charge.

Definitely look into laser. Be careful of the bargain-basement places though! There are horror stories out there involving poorly-trained and inexperienced technicians. Laser can burn, or be ineffective, if it is not administered correctly. Also read up on how to treat your skin pre- and post-laser. My first 2-3 sessions were highly unpleasant, but it gets easier as the hair thins and softens. These days I don't mind it much at all.

• 4 months later...

Abigail 

I have body waxed now but moving to laser soon I think. I have heard you can get your face waxxed too, maybe that helps. I got the idea from others that maybe face is 1. laser to clear most of it n 2 electrolysis to clean up the rest.

good luck sweetie

let us know

Started in Feb and I've had 4x 40m sessions now, and its a mixed bag.  I'm just having my top lip done to start with and it hurts WAY more on the left side of my face than the right for some reason..  I use a numbing cream put on 30-40m before the session starts and I've had a few blood spots, but it has to be less than 4 over the entire set of sessions so far.

The thing that bothers me is the redness.  Its really red and sore for a while after, but the red blotchy bits are not really fading and I've heard that can take up to a year. However what is bothering me more is the pitting and the uneven texture where I've been done.  Foundation just sinks into it and it deosn't look great tbh :( and considering I only get to wear makeup once a week atm inbetween sessions thats annoying and its left me wondering if when I'm done I won't have any hair but will my skin look like a crumpet?

I'm late 40s so half of the hair on my face is grey/blonde so this is something I have to do, but even my clinician has said I should think about IPL laser for the bits that are still dark, as they could work together to make the whole thing a bit faster and less painful, but of course there is a cost to that.

Is switching to a different electrologist and/or business an option? You're under no obligation to stick with what you currently have. 

switching may be mixed choice...maybe you find better provider but depends on your contract terms..1 laser place I'm considering wants contract signed says unlimited treatments, but like college tuition, we don't care if you show up or not..you signed we get paid, in full, n you may lose privileges if you're late with payment ...inviting I know..laughs

look at your agreement n maybe they'll let you out if it..in writing, if you are having issues with the service..but have a new provider ready to take over.

good luck

hugs 

• 2 months later...

I have done both electrolysis and laser.  Electrolysis hurt more, but seemed a bit more effective.  The redness went away after a while. I did get a little blood with electrolysis.  I think I have spent about $15,000 so far. 

ouch..15k..but that's your laser n electolisys..n why you look so good dear..

I'm envious..smiles 

hugs

1 minute ago, missyjo said:

ouch..15k..but that's your laser n electolisys..n why you look so good dear..

I'm envious..smiles 

hugs

You are so sweet. And too kind. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have used 3 different operators during my almost 3 years (interrupted by Covid) of treatments. One of these women, who is 86 years old, would make me bleed, especially under my chin and along my jawline. She was a lovely old lady, but I had to stop using her. I never had bleeding from my other two operators, though none of my electrolysis sessions are fun. I'm closing in on 200 hours, and nearing completion, but still having 90 minute sessions every 2 weeks. I don't need to shave between sessions as the growth is no longer noticeable, but I can feel it, and I want it all gone. So far it has cost me almost USD$14K and a lot of pain, but as it is a dysphoria trigger, I have to complete it. Hopefully this year it will be close to done. 

Hugs,

Allie

Me after my last session.

image.thumb.jpeg.7804d24a87161e619045f7a937b89c75.jpeg

ouch

honey expensive n painful ..complete with bleeding...ouch

good you're almost done n so smooth

envieuse

hugs

• 5 months later...

When I started mine, I did 2-3 two hour sessions a week for nine months straight.  I’m clear, no foundation needed