• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Blessing or a Curse?

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

Do you think being different from society's norms in regard to gender or sexual orientation is a blessing or a curse?

I think it's a bit of both, actually. The blessing part comes from being one's self, being given greater insight into how different people think and see themselves as well as having a greater understanding of who we are as individuals. The curse part, well, it comes from being marginalized and the frustrations associated with a general lack of acceptance by society at large.

It's funny @Heather Shay. This thread brought an old Kris Kristofferson song to mind. It's called "The Pilgrim: CHapter 33." There's a line in it that says: "...Never knowing if believing is a blessing or a curse, or if the goin' up is worth the coming down."  For some reason, not sure why, this seems apt with regard to your question. Mostly, I believe the going up (transition) is more than worth the coming down (prejudice, fear, hate, etc) that we all experience.

There are definitely pros and cons, but my particular conformity is neither a blessing or curse, it's just me. Not my fault people in society have low tolerance for my existence. I feel I'm cursed with allergies, and a fate to be stuck on a planet full of overly big headed animals that are destructive, complain a lot, and are fickle.

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, Heather Shay said:

Do you think being different from society's norms in regard to gender or sexual orientation is a blessing or a curse?

No, I don't.  :D  I don't believe in blessings or curses.  Like everything, there are parts of the journey that we like and parts that we don't like. 

I like just being myself, being able to wear nice clothes and have people see me as my real self.  I don't like that my friends in the USA are targeted for hatred and murder, and it scares the crap out of me that that stuff could happen here some day.  I like that it hasn't happened here yet.

I don't really give a fig about society's norms.  They are something that emerges from the collective behaviour of everyone.  Being out and free and happy contributes to those norms just as much as other people being mean and nasty and uptight.

4 hours ago, Heather Shay said:

Mostly I dont think its either. I was never particularly good at fitting in anywhere so being a bit of an outsider to me is pretty much the norm. I have not had too much trouble leading my life the last few years. It seems in Europe and the UK its pretty safe to just get on with your life in most respects or at least I have found it so in personal experience.  I do think acceptance is a matter often of luck and circumstances though and I do know people who for many reasons do feel its a curse.  

I can’t know the answer to that question because I have not experienced being “normal”. I tried it for many years and did a poor job of it, was often unhappy, and felt tortured by the urge to throw it all away. But that’s not the same as really being normal. I guess I’d say two things about normal people: (1) they don’t look especially happy on the whole; and (2) I wonder how many of them are really normal anyway? As for me, all I can say is I’m a lot happier now I’ve accepted I’m not one of them. And I feel I have a sacred mission: to help bring more light to the world, and tolerance, and to challenge what’s normal. A mission can be difficult. It can feel like a curse. But it’s really a gift. My life has meaning. 

• Forum Moderator

I certainly do not regret being the person i am.  Is the pain of old age a blessing or a curse?  Like anything a bit of both.  

Hugs,

Charlize

I agree with everyone above. To summarize what I mean, I regard blessing and curse as two edges of the same blade. You'll experience one side or the other depending on your mindset. But ultimately, I aim to cultivate a mindset of acceptance - that all circumstances are optimal for growth. In that sense, all can be regarded as blessing. But when the sense of blessing gets muddied by analysis of distinction between curse and blessing, then one runs the risk of egoistic clinging to blessing as if it might be lost or stolen, or cultivating a sense of false superiority (I'm blessed whereas you're not). To regard the challenges of life as a gift and an opportunity to shine light, like Betty describes, requires acceptance. And acceptance is not a one and done deal - constant adjustments to one's mindset and attitude are necessary. 

I also think it's in the eye of the beholder which is influenced by countless factors ... so in the end you make a judgement based on your own experience. I mean, one might also ask .. is there a good and bad? Is there an answer to this? For me, there isn't. Somebody else might say there is.

I see it as a curse.  At least it has been for me.  I've spent tons of time in my life wishing I had a different body, different desires, different sense of self. 

But, everybody gets both blessings and curses in their lives.  I think most people would wish away the bad stuff if they could.  My husband didn't choose his conflict-filled past.  My GF didn't choose to grow up in dire poverty.  My partners didn't choose their disabilities, accidents, bad family origins, etc..  However, our strange lives have been woven together into a wonderful family. 

There's a lot in life we didn't choose to receive.  Judging people for what they received and claiming it is a choice is ridiculous!  We are, however, responsible for what we do with it all.  My goal is to do as much as I can with both the good and the bad. 

21 hours ago, Betty K said:

I guess I’d say two things about normal people: (1) they don’t look especially happy on the whole; and (2) I wonder how many of them are really normal anyway? As for me, all I can say is I’m a lot happier now I’ve accepted I’m not one of them. And I feel I have a sacred mission: to help bring more light to the world, and tolerance, and to challenge what’s normal. A mission can be difficult. It can feel like a curse. But it’s really a gift. My life has meaning. 

That's a good way of looking at things really just, normal means the median or average. I have met some "Normal" people that turned out to be very weird by my standards once I got to know them 😃 

Blessing, curse, good, bad these are things that we've all experienced. Everyone here knows life isn't easy or fair. The only thing that really matters is your personal perception of each. 

In my experience not all Blessings turn out to be inherently good. And quite often a perceived curse while uncomfortable can lead to emence personal growth.

I also can't say that I ever felt like I was the same as everybody else so I really don't know what normal is. Some told me one that "Normal is as normal does" So when it's all said and done normal might as well be in the eye of the beholder. 

🙂

A blessing only. Even the bad things I try to consider in a positive way. I probably would have answered differently before coming out, but now I completely see it as a blessing. I'm much happier than I've ever been.

This is a healthy thread to read—I’ve not been super active lately, so I’m glad I stumbled across this one. 😊

Reminds me of a story a friend of mine shared with me about a farmer and a horse. I just did a quick Google search and found this retelling: https://matterco.co/the-maybe-story/

1 hour ago, Zelaire said:

This is a healthy thread to read—I’ve not been super active lately, so I’m glad I stumbled across this one. 😊

Reminds me of a story a friend of mine shared with me about a farmer and a horse. I just did a quick Google search and found this retelling: https://matterco.co/the-maybe-story/

I was going to reply with that parable myself.

I think it is important not only about perception, but it seems like non-judgment, even if it appears "neutral", is essentially optimistic because it is the assurance of knowing we don't know and places us in a position of not being in confrontation with any and all events- that everything is necessary.

Its both postive and negative. 

A positive is I can be my self for the first time in my life. I have made some great friends because of my transition. My old friends are also wanting me around more. As im a lot happier. I can also explore my sexual needs more freely with out the male stigma attached.

The negatives are worst, but I can deal with it. Living in a small town. There is a stigma of being trans, and trying to find a partner. 

I'm not sure of this is a negative or a positive, but since I pass, and am of child bearing years. I get a lot of stigma from older ladies about not having a child or being married. My friends are also between 33-45. So I've learned way more about periods then I ever would have imagined from them. I've also gotten to know more about menopause then I ever imagined. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 128 Guests (See full list)

• Jamey-Heather
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • Kayla93
    • KymmieL
    • April Marie
    • Pacificlife1994
    • mattie22
    • SamC
    • TyGuy27
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Quillian
    Newest Member
    Quillian

1. 777fleetleader777
      777fleetleader777
      (21 years old)
    2. ArinHallm3
      ArinHallm3
      (18 years old)
    3. ITakMyTime
      ITakMyTime
      (70 years old)
    4. Jess31
      Jess31
      (40 years old)
    5. Natalie71645
      Natalie71645
      (39 years old)
    • April Marie
      What an amazing life you've shared with your wife. I can understand the trepidation you had at telling her at that point in your relationship but it certainly saved all of the guilt, the questioning and the secrecy that would have filled your lives had you not.   I'm on the other end of the spectrum having denied and buried my truth for decades and fast approaching 50 years of marriage when the dysphoria and depression finally came to critical mass and I unloaded it all on a New Year's Day morning. As you might imagine, it led to a lot of questions, of questioning everything, of anger and hurt on my wife's part. Guilt, embarrassment, fear...and anything else you can imagine on my part.   Thankfully, our love for each other has always been the foundation of our relationship and, ultimately, we both agreed that staying together was what we both wanted. It was a tough year but, now into the 2d since my coming out, we've hit our stride and are exploring this new norm in our life.   I do so love your blog.
    • Adrianna Danielle
      Will be at my place
    • Vidanjali
      Congratulations on your new family member!
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I thought I would try my version of this. Changes in bold.   I am Transgender.  Sometimes it is remote, sometimes close. Sometimes I am euphoric, sometimes depressed. It is something I cannot get away from and cannot welcome enough. I see some things both ways that neither men as men see or women as women see.  I can be gentle and compassionate and hard as nails. I was born with male genitals but a female heart   I have my heart.  Whatever it is. When I look at a female, I wish I looked like her  Depends on the woman.  When I look at a male, I wish I did not look like him   Ditto. I envy female movements, softness, behaviors, appearances, fashion...EVERYTHING Female Depends. Sometimes I get angry at them because women spend time and energy in ways men don't.  It is not necessarily bad.  I could do without the gossip. Not all women gossip.  Excessive focus on fashion is something I find annoying. And expensive. I tolerate all things male out of social obligation...not because I feel like a man or because it makes me happy....but because that's what I was forced to believe was my only choice....beginning in early childhood. Sometimes it is helpful to put on the Iron Man suit and act accordingly.  But I have seen some tough women. When I look at myself in the mirror in only bra and panties...I can see my nude female body...and it makes me smile and feel amazing and warm inside....yet sad because that is not my reality. I could go either way, mostly. Really.  In tests in the last two years technicians have gone really quiet when they see how little body and leg hair I have.  I looked at myself this morning.  Remove a few clues and a girl is standing there. When I look at myself in the mirror in only boxers...I can see my nude male body and it saddens me deeply and makes me feel sick and depressed...and at times...even ashamed....Because this IS my reality. At this point I am not going to do that. In the mood I am in I might break the mirror. My true gender does not influence my sexual interests or preferences...or change who I am....in any form or fashion. Gender identity is in no way connected to anything sexually related on any level.  Not sure I want to make that statement so categorically. Life as a male leaves me with a feeling that something is off...that something is missing...that something is not as it should have been.   Well put. The idea of having to continue living as a male...as someone I am not...for the rest of my life...even if its only part time...causes great sadness and anxiety within myself. I've got priorities beyond this that this must fit into. The idea of living as the girl I am and always have been on a full time basis...regardless of where I am, what I am doing or who I am around...brings me great joy, happiness and a sense of peace within myself.  Would be neat. Looking like and living as a girl makes me smile.   Would be neat.  There are downsides.  Looking like and living as a guy makes me sad.   I have had lots of practice accepting this. I am Transgender....I am a girl
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
      Good listener, respect them, and show sympathy/empathy, even just being there
    • Ashley0616
      Getting dog today he's potty trained
    • Sally Stone
      Think positively, Ashley.  I have no doubt you'll find your king or queen at some point.   Hugs,   Sally
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Bob had the night off from teaching kara-tay and they planned to spend a lot of it at Cabaret.   Once in, Taylor waited for her man to park and looked around.  There was a sign "Mary, Paul and Peter LIVE tonight" and, sure enough, three microphones were standing in the open area.  A new hostess came up to her. "Are you alone?" "Oh, no.  He's coming." Taylor was led to a table. Bob was there in a minute and managed to get in there and seat her.  She smiled. "The act will be along in a few minutes. And Congratulations! I am SO EXCITED!!" Taylor responded to his look. "I got promoted." "To what?" "Head of Marketing." "You're kidding." "Nope.  It seems the Board finally woke up to the fact that the China cash cow may come to an end and they need to do something. Did you know that the VPs on up all get over a million dollars in compensation without really doing anything?" "No." "I am supposed to figure out how to re-energize over thirty acres of factory that have laid idle for forty years or more." "Why don't they do it?" She whispered,"the head of production is the son of the previous head of production. He has never produced anything."  She explained that everything was made in China and exported back to the US and sold under different brand names. "How am I going to find someone?" He smiled. "Congratulations. Sounds like a problem.  Hey, today we were talking about problems at our Philly plant.  One, it was built before World War 2. Second the city and state are tightening regulations and the tax structure is adverse.  Third, we get protestors every day, some of whom break into the factory.  People are talking about relocating." "We are forty miles from an interstate." "That is a plus.  Makes it harder for protestors to find us if we moved here." "You are really thinking that?" "I am, right now. I can't speak for the company.  I know there is a rail line." "Spur, actually, with several sidings.  The buildings are in good shape." "Do you have about five acres we could look at? How about if I take some pictures and send them off?" "Great.  And protestors would not be tolerated in Millville.  The factory area once upon a time was the main employer and people are very protective." Two weeks later she was in Philadelphia with Gibson and a few others.  The deal was signed and by end of summer ten acres, with an option on another ten, were being upgraded and equipment was coming in by rail. Not five, but ten.  She got a $20,000 bonus out of the blue.  The company was flush with Chinese cash that they didn't know what to do with. She was developing plans. But back to dinner.  "Did I tell you what they are paying me?" "No." She told him. "That is more than I am making." "You don't sound happy." "It takes some getting used to.  You are Management and Croesus combined." "Yeah. Is this a problem?" "No.  As I said, it takes some getting used to."  The musicians arrived and were introduced: three local teenagers in Peter Paul and Mary clothing and wigs like it was the 60s.  They began singing. "They are good," she said. "They are lip-synching." "They are good at lip-synching." They listened for a while. "Work is going to be intense for a while." "I'll bet." "I won't be able to talk to you about some of it." "I bet." They had a good evening.   The high point for Bob was that she let him put his hand on hers.  The high point for her was Bob did not seem threatened by her now being Management and making more than he did with a Masters. She didn't tell him she was likely to be in on the distribution of money the Chinese sent every year to keep them fat and happy.  But she had to finish up that report, so the evening ended early.  He drove her home, checked her apartment for people and again walked away hearing her lock the door three times.  She didn't say it, but he knew she was going to have a long talk with her therapist as well.   Her therapist was a night owl.  
    • Ashley0616
      envy: painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage obsolete : MALICE : an object of envious notice or feeling
    • MaeBe
      I sit back and think, am I this person? I definitely argue, but with the willingness to alter my opinion if I find that my information is lacking. So, no? I also don't go pointing fingers in faces like a crazed person, usually I am the one to argue with that kind of person; typically because they can't see past emotion and have little concern for actual facts. Sometimes it's sport that I do this (ENTP, baby!), but usually it comes from a place of trying to inform and shift opinion--or at least get them to actually obtain facts or get their facts from objective sources.
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
    • MaeBe
      How exciting! Have a glorious evening!
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.