• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Some issues with my family and how I should handle misgendering/deadnaming

MayBea

So I've come out to my family for about a a year and a half. And I've been on hrt for over a year. And some of my family still struggles with misgendering me and deadnaming me? My sister seems to be trying but she constantly makes mistakes even during my last visit a few weeks ago(and has misgendered me in public without even thinking about it several times). My cousin did fine for a while, until he started randomly deadnaming me and misgendering me the last few months(all on the phone to be clear). Luckily my friends who known me before transition treat me perfectly. I guess my question is, how do I handle this? Being misgendered and deadnamed is painful for me but I try to remember how long they knew me before my transition and try to understand it might be difficult for them to adjust. I do correct them and they seem to realize they messed up and apologize. But it keeps happening. And I'm not sure how to talk to them about it(if I even should). Am I being unreasonable in being hurt by them?

• Admin

Many Trans activists that I know consider that behavior to be a form of Violence against us.  Accidents do happen and I evaluate them as they come.  Hanging up the phone, if that is how you talk to them would work for a bit.  Sending them an actual U.S.P.S. letter setting YOUR BOUNDARIES would be highly appropriate, but do get ready for some blow back on it.  Your Gender Therapist can be a big help in strategies to deal with this too.

• Forum Moderator

About misgendering me in public: I had to have a heart-to-heart with my wife about that. It basically went, "Please don't do that. It can get me killed."

Vicky is right though, it can be a form of passive-aggressive violence and it's not to be tolerated. Accidents happen but you're not asking anything difficult of any of them.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator
15 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

you're not asking anything difficult of any of them

When I came out to my in-laws, who were in their 90s at the time, they instantly got it.  I think there was one accidental misgendering, quickly self-corrected, and then perfection ever since.  I could not have asked for better treatment.

You are right: it is not something difficult.  Most people can handle it if they want to.

Thank you all of you for the responses. I actually didn't even think about how her misgendering me in public could be dangerous. Particularly since I don't live in a very LGBTQ friendly place. I think I need to talk to her about gendering me correctly.

It is definitely reasonable to feel hurt and offended.  With family, figure out if it is somebody that you need a relationship with or somebody you can avoid.  It isn't hard to learn someone's preferred form of address, so I suspect most misgendering is willful rather than forgetful.  State your boundaries clearly so they have no excuse, and be prepared for the fallout. 

I wouldn't go so far as to say that misgendering is "violence," but it is definitely rudeness.  It is on a level with giving somebody the middle finger or its verbal equivalent.  I prefer to avoid confrontation, which means avoiding people who are rude to me or treat me badly.  I don't have any obligation to talk to people like that.  Simply scamper away or fade away and that's it. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 61 Guests (See full list)

• awkward-yet-sweet
    • Ashley0616
    • Roach
    • MaeBe
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Mary74
    Newest Member
    Mary74

1. chelsee
      chelsee
      (37 years old)
    2. DashDashDash
      DashDashDash
      (33 years old)
    3. Jamie1025
      Jamie1025
      (27 years old)
    4. Mark Rayner
      Mark Rayner
      (57 years old)
    • MaeBe
      Thank you, Ash and @Mirrabooka! You're too kind.   I have a nail salon around the corner, but my wife and kiddos had a bad experience there once. I think a lot of the issue is I have a bit of perfectionism in me (thanks mom!) and I want them to look nice and clean. This time the lacquer is a bit thin and needed extra coats to provide a fully opaque color, so they took an extra long time to dry--and got dinged or smeared because they hadn't fully set (we're talking probably close to two hours after the last coat), so I kept redoing each that got wrecked.   @Ashley0616, I haven't gone so far as to ask to be called anything different by all of my family yet. So I haven't run into problems with being misnamed. I kind of just persist and try to let the misgendering, "my boy", "nephew", "Mikey", etc. roll off my back. As for volunteering, I'm told my eldest and I may be set for some amount of volunteering for "the main event" Pride weekend at the end of the month, the group I'm registered with isn't doing anything this weekend. So instead I get to go to a D&D night at a local bar and a house party at a friend's of ours. Action packed weekend, here we come!   Oddly we ordered pizza tonight and when I went to pick it up, the cashier asked me how I spelled Maeve. He told me he had two "Maeves" order that night, the other spelled it in Gaelic fashion (Maebh) and he'd mixed up our orders. Two Maeves ordering pizza at the same joint from a little pizza joint in the Twin Cities at the same time!   Another update, I got my termination notice today (finally). Friday is my last day. 10 years there are coming to a close. Now to sell the house, pack up, move the family half-way across the country, and find a new place to live in the next two months! Wahoo!
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Sitting here tonight wondering.... I was AFAB, but for some reason its like my husband understands me emotionally way better than my GF does.  So strange. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Awww.... I feel for you.  I'm similarly useless with mechanical stuff. I just look at it and scratch my head....I'm useless and fluffy.  I'm always amazed how my GF can look under the hood, figure out exactly what's wrong, and drag out a bunch of tools and have a car in pieces within the hour.  I can barely identify what an alternator is, but she'll have it changed in 30 minutes or less.  We all have different talents, I guess.    HVAC is ridiculously expensive.  My husband has learned to do some of it himself, simply because of the cost.  We had a technician out to the house a while back, quoted $2,000 for a simple motor and a circuit board.  My husband ordered the parts on Amazon for $200, and installed in 20 minutes.  Easy enough that even I could have done it with a YouTube video.  Of course we had no central heat for a week while we waited for parts, but the wait was worth it to save money.  He and GF have been learning HVAC stuff since then, and bought a bunch of parts and tools.  It actually looks less hard than car repair, since there's more space between parts.  IDK how they can charge more money than car mechanics....
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      @Willow  I feel for you.  Sometimes female partners just can't be pleased.  Pick, pick, pick, as you say.  There are days my GF is just determined to have a fight with somebody...anybody...for any random reason.  She'll be nothing but fangs and claws and bitter complaints.  Its rough to live with somebody like that.  But there are also days where it isn't that way, and where they're the person we met years ago who captivated our attention 100%.  Patience....
    • Mirrabooka
      So do I! But geez, talk about time consuming! @MaeBe, have you given much thought into getting regular professional manicures instead? (not that I've gone down that path myself)
    • Ivy
      Deep breaths honey, Deep breaths.
    • Willow
      Ok venting time.  @KymmieL I know you’ll appreciate this on.   this morning the home health nurse was here.  I took a picture of how my wife’s wound looked to show her like I always do.  Then I asked the nurse about a line of spots no one side she explained them then asked if I had a picture from the beginning.  Which I did. Then I was scrolling through my pictures to see the progression my wife angerly says “enough”. After the nurse left we left to go to the post office, lunch and Costco.  As we are driving away from home she turns to me and says not too nicely that if I wanted to be a woman I needed to spend more effort on how I looked.  At the post office we bought a roll of package tape.  Of course it won’t peel off the roll and the longer it took to get it started the darker her looks became.  We go into Costco.  Right inside the door are tables with women’s shorts and blouses.  I ask her, do you like these shorts?  Yes this color or the other? Can’t make up her mind so I put one of each in the basket.  Next some blouses.  She picks what she wants and the size she wants. I picked up two what I thought were sleeveless for me.  (Turns out they had built in bras which I didn’t discover until I got home.  She tries on one of her tops, doesn’t like it and says to me you want them? No.   later I want to work on me paper.  Oh then I can’t watch tv?  I hate this condo.  I’ll just sit on the porch. Somewhere in all this I want the ac on and a ceiling fan.  Well that makes her made too.  She wants it 80 degrees with no fan. I prefer 76 with the fan.  And the night continues until she has made me quite annoyed with her.   pick, pick, pick.   next I’ll likely hear about the pjs I have on.  Argh!
    • Lydia_R
    • Lydia_R
    • Lilis
      Yes, very exciting, experimental, and exploration days ahead.   Thank you so much for your support, Carolyn Marie. 
    • Lydia_R
      I must look like a raving lunatic with how much I still enjoy playing Space Invaders!    
    • Carolyn Marie
      Welcome to Trans Pulse, Lillis.  It's nice to meet you.  I think you'll enjoy being here.  This is a very exciting time for you, and I'm sure you will have a lot of questions.  We'll be here to answer them for you.  Best of luck and enjoy the E-Ticket ride you just got on.     HUGS   Carolyn Marie
    • Lilis
      Thank you so much for the warm welcome, KathyLauren. 
    • Ashley0616
      Wonderful HVAC went out yesterday and the temperature rose to 82 from 70. It was cooler outside. Was able to get a technician out and 340 dollars later it's working thank goodness. I'm not useful when it comes to home repairs or even car repairs. I can't even change out the alternator or even something simpler putting on a new belt. My phone quit working since last night. I was finally able to get it working again after 3 hours. The VPN was causing it to not work. I get to see my endocrinologist on the 18 so I'm excited for that. Girlfriend was very sorry that she hasn't been able to spend a lot of time with me. She told me that she was worried that I would leave her. I reassured her that as long as she treats me right I won't leave her. She owns and operates a floral store. I can't wait till she can live with me down here permanently. She said she'll me transition more with surgeries and makeup. Looking forward to being able to have my nails done. I got hit on by a trans woman and she wouldn't stop after I told her I already have a girlfriend so I blocked her and showed the messenger chat to my girlfriend. She was grateful of what I did. 
    • Ashley0616
      Sorry about your not so peaceful visit. Family can sure be jerks. I have a final answer if my mom would ever accept me as Ashley. I simply asked if she would put Happy Birthday Ashley. She said she would never call me that. To her I won't anything but Scott to her. She said we could put Happy Birthday or she just wouldn't make it. I hope you are better now. BTW I love your nails! Good luck on the volunteer opportunity. 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.