• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Fashion questions from a newbie

EasyE

Hello all. I have been wearing more and more women's clothing over the past year (and very much enjoying myself, much to my wife's chagrin). But in many ways I am a "guy" trying to dress like a girl - in other words I have very little fashion sense. Permission to ask a few basic questions of the more experienced?

* I would wear a skirt every second of every day if society didn't frown on it so much - and maybe one day I will no matter what society says. I mostly wear T-shirts or Henley shirts. Do you tuck your shirt into your skirt? I can't decide which I like best. I see some younger ladies tuck in the front of their shirt and nothing else. It looks good on them, sloppy on me.

* I am in my 50s. I have a lot of skirts but I have some that I think, even if I were a cis woman, folks would tell me, "you are way too old to wear that -- it's too short." What is the proper length of a skirt for an oldie like me to wear in public? Knee length?

* What about shorts? How short is too short? I just bought some deep yellow shorts that I love, and I don't think they look bad when I am standing up. But when I sit down, I show a lot of leg. I don't want to be offensive if they are too short.

* Should your bra and panties match? Should they match your outer outfit, or at least compliment the colors?

* I have lots of "lettuce" trimmed socks, some with flowers on them. Can an oldie wear these? I really like them a lot. Should colored socks match your skirt? Shirt? I have a really cool outfit that I LOVE -- a teal/aqua shirt, a bright cyan blue skirt with leopard spots and teal ruffle socks (and teal panties/blue sports bra that matches the whole ensemble). I like it but I wonder if those more experienced in fashion would just shake their heads at me, lol...

Anyways, thanks for any tips folks can provide... Feel free to add your questions, too. I am sure I have forgotten quite a few...

E

• Admin

@EasyE, I'm no fashionista either, and I tend towards casual attire or dressy pant suits.  But I'll attempt a few answers here:

1.  Lots of women, especially 40-50 & older, do wear a lot of skirts and casual dresses.  Nothing wrong with that, but it depends on the situation.  Most women wouldn't wear dresses and heels at the mall, unless it was a very upscale mall and they were very used to heels.  I tried it once...never again.  Almost killed myself.  😂

2.  When I was heavier I never tucked my shirts - too much stomach showing.  Now that I'm relatively thin, I tuck much more often.  Some shirts aren't meant for tucking; i.e. "boyfriend" shirts and tunic tops.

3.  For someone our age, knee length or just above the knee is fine, or just below the knee.  The exception would be a summer dress.

4.  Shorts length is a personal choice, and also depends on your physique.  I prefer walking (also called classic) shorts, which are mid calf or sometimes Bermuda shorts.

5.  IMO, it doesn't matter about matching bra & panties - who's going to see them other than you, right?  But if you like it, go for it!

6.  Fancy socks are nice, but again it depends on the outfit you're wearing.  With most full length jean or pants I'll wear no-see, ankle length or crew socks.  But I do try to match the socks with the color of pants or blouse.

Have fun!

Carolyn Marie 

Thanks Carolyn Marie! I don't think I have the knees or sense of balance to wear heels, lol... 

• Forum Moderator

Most women around here only wear heels for special occasions.  I am often one of only a few to be wearing a skirt.  It is almost always floor length unless it is a perfect spring day.  I also wear Ts, usually v neck as that seems to visually narrow the shoulders.  I rarely or never touch a shirt in.  My figure looks better in disguise 🥸.    When I first transitioned I dressed a bit overly young, with shorter flirty skirts and heels.  As I settle in as the old gal I am I simply blend in, with my own style, but as one of the gals.

I don’t worry about matching undergarments although I have to laugh when I notice the color of my panties matches my shirt.

Hugs,

Charlize

You're never too old to dress how you want, wear it if you want and if you don't like it, don't wear it. Fashion is subjective, and if someone says you're too old for it, they're wrong.

13 minutes ago, Charlize said:

Most women around here only wear heels for special occasions.  I am often one of only a few to be wearing a skirt.  It is almost always floor length unless it is a perfect spring day. 

I have to wear a skirt and heels for my job, but I'm not complaining lol.  But the heels can be murder on my feet some days.