• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Politicians from a certain group undermine support of LGBTQ groups with stopping funding

KatieSC

Now for another push downward from a certain political group in Congress. There is an effort by Congressional Rs to cut funding to any nonprofit group supporting LGBTQ individuals. As reported on the NBC News website (https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/house-republicans-lgbtq-nonprofits-rcna152753), the house appropriations committee is attempting to block Economic Development Initiative funding to any group helping us. Don't you just feel the love. Apparently that loving former vice president we had during Trump's presidency, does not believe that public funding should not be providing funding for at-risk transgender minors. One must wonder how much more hateful some of these individuals will become.

Although there certainly is just flat out racist hate in this, I tend to ignore that kind of thing and think of it from an economic standpoint.

I've seen some reports of the Chinese being afraid of their men becoming weaker and becoming less able to do hard, manual labor.  Of course that is just sexist BS on some level (my first wife does professional construction work), there is undoubtedly a weakening that goes with the M->F thing.  I feel it within my body.

In my opinion, it's just old school economics of a growing economy.  Like Vaclov Smil is suggesting, maybe we should give up on the idea of growth:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/21/vaclav-smil-interview-growth-must-end-economists

I believe this old school growing economy is over and there is nothing anyone can really do about it.  Like a river, we just need to go with the flow and not fight it.  My roommate is talking about the idea of the country splitting up in to regions.  Perhaps there is some sense in that?  Two of my trans roommates this year came from the mid-south specifically for trans healthcare here.  We all like it here in Portland.  It isn't perfect.  Ironically, it could be much more accepting here.  But all the trans people I know here say that we are not leaving.  Because of my career, it is almost certain I will have to move by the end of the year, but I'll likely be coming back when my job is completed.  My house is 4 miles from the transgender hospital too.  I've had the fantasy for years about being a halfway house for people having surgeries.  I get this feeling that it is going to become a strange episode of M*A*S*H.  I guess I'm just going to go with the flow on this.  Fighting the tow of the moon and all that.

There is a rather large part of the GOP that is determined to strip the rights of trans citizens, despite us being a small minority, some with families, who work, pay taxes, and who do - and have served in our armed forces, are medics, nurses, etc.

They insist that the US is a "christian country" - referring to their particular brand of christianity.  And this is despite the constitution, that they claim near worship of, expressly prohibiting this very thing.

Don't know how this posted itself.  To continue…

There was a time when I tried to make excuses for them.  But I am coming to the realization that in their eyes, I, and those like me, are 2nd class citizens at best.

Just now, Ivy said:

There is a rather large part of the GOP that is determined to strip the rights of trans citizens, despite us being a small minority, some with families, who work, pay taxes, and who do - and have served in our armed forces, are medics, nurses, etc.

They insist that the US is a "christian country" - referring to their particular brand of christianity.  And this is despite the constitution, that they claim near worship of, expressly prohibiting this very thing.

I would imagine the GOPers are holding that by bull in their hand and paying attention to the Trump version with the nine commandments highlighted.

I've gotten to the point lately where I'm thinking of the extension of the separation of church and state to separation of culture and state.  Government's purpose to ensure a construct of civility.  Food, clothing, shelter and justice for the individual.  That includes the roads as far as they pertain to the distribution of food, clothing and shelter.  And "ensure" is different than "provide".

I think that there is no way to truly express yourself or have a good foundation without having a personal culture.  I like telling stories and teaching lessons through my culture, but I always hope that people don't think I'm promoting my culture beyond it just being visible as an option.

Not to justify it, but this is what happens when folks rely on accepting money from the government.  It just isn't secure!  When the times change and different winds blow, you find yourself coming up short on funds.  Don't trust the feds, don't trust the state. 

I don't believe in separation of church and state.  I believe the USA is a Christian nation, but that Congress doesn't make an establishment of which kind of church that refers to.  Reading the writings left by the Founders (who were mostly Christian or Deist), I think it is pretty clear that they wanted to avoid the bloody Protestant vs. Catholic conflicts that had been going on in Europe for the previous 250 years. 

I think one huge problem is that we've had a separation of culture and state already.  There's been an abandonment of traditional American culture, or at least a significant change in it.  People often act servile, not independent.  People seek government help rather than taking care of themselves and those around them.  Its like everybody is waiting for an answer, like baby birds in the nest chirping to have something delivered to them from up above. 

To me, the federal government has two purposes - to keep foreign forces and influence out of our territory, and to tax foreign trade to protect domestic economy.  They've pretty much failed at both. 

Just now, awkward-yet-sweet said:

I don't believe in separation of church and state.  I believe the USA is a Christian nation, but that Congress doesn't make an establishment of which kind of church that refers to.  Reading the writings left by the Founders (who were mostly Christian or Deist), I think it is pretty clear that they wanted to avoid the bloody Protestant vs. Catholic conflicts that had been going on in Europe for the previous 250 years. 

While I'm sure the "Founders" had the 30 years war, etc. on their minds, they didn't write the constitution as considering only Christian sects.

The early colonists (I used the word) did mostly come from areas of "christian culture" but it's hard to reconcile some of their actions with what Christ himself taught.

Christians have a right to their beliefs, but there are a lot of American citizens that do not consider themselves "christian."  I have seen writings where the US was specifically said not to be a "Christian Nation".

"The 1797 Treaty of Tripoli that sought to secure America from attacks by the so-called Barbary pirates who were Muslim made a point to say that the United States "is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion."" 

It shouldn't be difficult to understand why the "Christian Nationalist" movement makes some of us uncomfortable.

Just now, Ivy said:

"The 1797 Treaty of Tripoli that sought to secure America from attacks by the so-called Barbary pirates who were Muslim made a point to say that the United States "is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion."" 

It shouldn't be difficult to understand why the "Christian Nationalist" movement makes some of us uncomfortable.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropology/2016/05/secularists-please-stop-quoting-the-treaty-of-tripoli/

^^^ an interesting piece about the treaty, written by an atheist.

I totally understand why the Christian nationalist stuff makes people uncomfortable. For me, it is uncomfortable in a different way, as modern Christian nationalism is not nearly as "generic" as the views of the Founders.  Its specifically Evangelical.  I'm in a plural marriage, so definitely not approved of. 

I believe the intent of the Founders was to uhold generic Christian ideas... "in God we trust" and "there's a God who created the world and He wrote ten commandments for us" sort of stuff.  Nothing beyond that, nothing specific enough to use against folks.

I'm aware that the young US ended up fighting a war with these people, and that phrase was not meant to address Church & state.  But somebody was willing to include it at the time.

I am also aware that your family arrangements would not go over well with most christian nationalists.  But that is kinda where I'm coming from on this.  I believe you and others of us with an unconventional lifestyle should be free to live as we desire - as long as we are not hurting anyone else.  And by "hurting" I don't mean only their feelings.

Using christianity to justify oppression is just wrong.  As is forced conversion, or forced conversion therapy.

Regarding public funds, LGBTQetc people have as much right to them as straight-cis folks.  I'm not arguing that queer people have more rights, just equal rights.

Just now, Ivy said:

I'm aware that the young US ended up fighting a war with these people, and that phrase was not meant to address Church & state.  But somebody was willing to include it at the time.

I am also aware that your family arrangements would not go over well with most christian nationalists.  But that is kinda where I'm coming from on this.  I believe you and others of us with an unconventional lifestyle should be free to live as we desire - as long as we are not hurting anyone else.  And by "hurting" I don't mean only their feelings.

Using christianity to justify oppression is just wrong.  As is forced conversion, or forced conversion therapy.

Regarding public funds, LGBTQetc people have as much right to them as straight-cis folks.  I'm not arguing that queer people have more rights, just equal rights.

We agree on most of this... and the church/state thing is kind of a tangent anyways. Oops. LOL

I think it has long been established that all different kinds of groups have access to public funds. In my opinion, either everybody has access or nobody does. I would prefer "nobody."

Relying on public funds gives the government the power to take it away, and puts that power in the hands of whatever group controls the government at the moment... the news article that is the topic of this thread shows a clear example of that happening.  Organizations trust government at their peril.

Tangent, adjacent, opposite...  It's still rock n' roll to me.  I don't know about the "in god we trust" part of the money, but I like the lady with the scale.  And then I look left at the Indian statue on my mantel of Guanyin feeding a drop of liquid to the dragon at her feet.  In god we trust?  The lady with the scale?  Maybe this is too binary.  And then on the other side of Guanyin is that kind of pelican wood bird that sits two feet tall that I hauled back from South America through the Panama canal.  The beak broke in 1998 and I carefully saved the pieces (as I usually do) and attached them back about a decade ago.  I used a drill to make a small hole and then put a finish nail in there.  Then a hole on those two pieces that needed to be attached.  Upper and Lower beak.  There is still a seam showing.  I could cover that up, but the beak is a bright yellow and well, it's better with all the pieces in place and I don't mind seeing the crack.  I guess that is the tangent and the other two are the opposite and adjacent. -money  Why don't coders always code the "-" action in their search fields?  It's not that difficult!

Just now, Lydia_R said:

Tangent, adjacent, opposite...  It's still rock n' roll to me.  I don't know about the "in god we trust" part of the money, but I like the lady with the scale.  And then I look left at the Indian statue on my mantel of Guanyin feeding a drop of liquid to the dragon at her feet.  In god we trust?  The lady with the scale?  Maybe this is too binary.  And then on the other side of Guanyin is that kind of pelican wood bird that sits two feet tall that I hauled back from South America through the Panama canal.  The beak broke in 1998 and I carefully saved the pieces (as I usually do) and attached them back about a decade ago.  I used a drill to make a small hole and then put a finish nail in there.  Then a hole on those two pieces that needed to be attached.  Upper and Lower beak.  There is still a seam showing.  I could cover that up, but the beak is a bright yellow and well, it's better with all the pieces in place and I don't mind seeing the crack.  I guess that is the tangent and the other two are the opposite and adjacent. -money  Why don't coders always code the "-" action in their search fields?  It's not that difficult!

I just can't resist.  Does all that mean that.............the bird is the word?  :devil:

I must be missing something here.

Coins and pentangles do interchange.  And Bird is the word.  But all I know about coders is the socks.

"Breaking news! Good news! The United States Supreme Court has declined to hear a case against Montgomery County Public Schools LGBTQ+ inclusive curriculum.
Students CANNOT be shielded from learning about LGBTQ+ people that inhabit the world around them!" —Erin Reed

They seem to think that if they pretend we don't exist, we won't.

9 hours ago, Davie said:

"Breaking news! Good news! The United States Supreme Court has declined to hear a case against Montgomery County Public Schools LGBTQ+ inclusive curriculum.
Students CANNOT be shielded from learning about LGBTQ+ people that inhabit the world around them!" —Erin Reed

I disagree with this...I don't think it is good news to tell parents they can't opt their kids out of sex/gender instruction at ages they feel are inappropriate, or that violate their faith. 

However, perhaps some good will come out of this.  I hope it totally destabilizes public education, or at least yields robust state voucher programs so parents who can't afford to homeschool can send their kids elsewhere.  It might even encourage some folks to move to areas where they fit better.  One of my husband's friends lives in Montgomery County, and has two kids in the school system there.  They've been talking about leaving, long before this, for multiple reasons.  

I don't personally agree with people opting out of LGBT education, but I suppose it would depend on the context it was taught in. Parents do have the right to opt their children out of sex ed and such for various reasons, so if it was taught in line with sex ed (which would make sense, as those classes also cover puberty as well as sometimes relationship health, so it would be about in-line with how heterosexual students are taught about their own types of relationships), I would understand them then being able to opt out. Similarly, parents often have options to opt their child out of reading books with "disturbing" content, so if the novels chosen for LGBT discussion have a large focus on homophobia/etc., an opt-out option might be made available due to the intensity of the content rather than the content itself. I've seen these for books like To Kill a Mockingbird and All-American Boys that discuss racism in-depth, as some parents might not be comfortable with their child/teenager reading intense content. I disagree with the choices to opt-out of reading these books since I think they're important, but I do understand why they're provided.

So, I think whether an opt-out option would be provided for these topics would depend on the way that they were presented. I didn't see anything in the article saying where the topics were being presented (though correct me if I'm wrong). Are they being talked about in sex ed or in content that may be considered disturbing? In that case, it wouldn't necessarily be LGBT-phobic legislation, per se -- It's about in line with what is in line for dozens of topics. 

An option to opt out is one thing, but removing the content entirely (for everyone) is something different.  I don't think it's beneficial to isolate one's kids from the broader culture since they are going to have to live in it eventually.  If something about it bothers you, you need to explain why.  Pretending it doesn't exist is a disservice to them.

In my (and my ex's) more conservative past, we considered homeschooling.  But we also realized our kids had to live in the broader culture and needed the socialization.

Two of my adult children do homeschool now.  I have mixed feelings about that.

Another of them is a public school teacher.

I personally would prefer that scarce resources not be diverted from public education.  The current move against public education bothers me.  For many kids it's all they have.