• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Forum Member Names

Sally Stone

I am always fascinated and curious about the names we choose for ourselves on this forum.   Many have me very curious as to the history/reason behind them.  If it's not prying too much and you are willing to share, it would be great to hear the why behind your choice.  I'm actually a little jealous of the creativity here, as my name is anything but creative.  It's just my actual girl name.  Very boring, I know.  But so many of you out there have such unique and thought provoking forum names.  

Vidanjali is a combination of the Sanskrit words "vidya" and "anjali". Vidya means intuitive knowledge or divine knowledge (where its antonym is ignorance) and anjali means offering. For example, in yoga, anjali mudra is the position of hands in prayer at the heart center. So, Vidanjali expresses my desire to be an instrument of illumination and goodwill in the world and to be of service to others.

• Admin

Contrary to some recommendations we make for members, the Vicky part is just my legal FN and the SGV does give my home location within a few hundred square miles.  When I joined here the Vicky all by itself was taken so I had to add something else to it.

• Admin
Just now, Vidanjali said:

Vidanjali is a combination of the Sanskrit words "vidya" and "anjali". Vidya means intuitive knowledge or divine knowledge (where its antonym is ignorance) and anjali means offering. For example, in yoga, anjali mudra is the position of hands in prayer at the heart center. So, Vidanjali expresses my desire to be an instrument of illumination and goodwill in the world and to be of service to others.

That's very lovely, @vidanjali, and very thoughtful.

Carolyn Marie

Just now, Carolyn Marie said:

That's very lovely, @vidanjali, and very thoughtful.

Carolyn Marie

XOXO

• Forum Moderator

Mine shows no imagination at all: it is just my first and middle names.

Mine is just the feminine variant of my current first name, and Skunk.  Cause skunks rule.

One of the reasons that I hesitated to sign up to this forum originally was because I couldn't think of a femme name for myself. That stems from the fact that I wasn't seeking one, and still don't, although lately I have become a bit curious.

My username has geographical and astronomical connections. It is an indigenous word that describes the Southern Cross constellation.

8 hours ago, Vidanjali said:

my desire to be an instrument of illumination and goodwill in the world and to be of service to others

^^ THIS ^^

• Forum Moderator

I joined as Charlie as i left Chuck (Charles) behind.  My wife suggested Charlize as i started to make the necessary legal changes.  I don't turn my head anymore when someone says Chuck.  It took time but when the name fit it became me.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Its just my name.

I always loved Ashley. I named my 2006 Roush Mustang that too. I also had a crush to Ashley Force who races in NHRA.

Claire shares the same first letter as my male name.  I tend to prefer shorter names to long ones, and this one seemed feminine to me without going overboard. I was inspired by Claire Danes, Claire Underwood, and Claire Dunphy (upon whom I always had an enormous crush :D).  Plus, it just felt right. I don't know if Claire will be my final legal name, but it's stuck longer than the others I've tried on.

When I joined it was purely a play on Maybe. Mae happens to have a couple letters in common with my given name and I started using it when introducing myself to strangers. Since then, actually yesterday, when I caught up with an old friend and told her about my transition she thought she heard "Maeve" when I said "Mae". I could still use Mae as a nickname, it works well with my mother's name as a middle name (she died in 2019 and I love the idea of connecting with her memory more), and my initials wouldn't change if I change my name. So, Maeve it will likely be unless something better comes along. ;)

5 hours ago, ClaireBloom said:

Claire shares the same first letter as my male name.  I tend to prefer shorter names to long ones, and this one seemed feminine to me without going overboard. I was inspired by Claire Danes, Claire Underwood, and Claire Dunphy (upon whom I always had an enormous crush :D).  Plus, it just felt right. I don't know if Claire will be my final legal name, but it's stuck longer than the others I've tried on.

That's what my Hylander's name is too.  

• 4 weeks later...

I originally chose my name to have a negative connotation. When I was deep into dysphoria, depression and full of guilt wondering what was wrong with me, I decided to give "that other person" who drove me to have these strange thoughts and desires a name. I chose April Rhaynes - April is my birth month and the Rhaynes (rains) was meant to evoke the dreariness that often comes with the heavy rains and flooding we get during that month. I hated that "other" person for what she was doing to me and how she filled me with fear and guilt.

Finally breaking down and entering therapy I came to understand "that woman" was really me and so I needed to rethink the name. In the end, I stayed with April but it came with a new meaning. April is the month where we typically see the beginning of Spring. Trees and flowers begin to bloom, a time of renewal and rebirth. It is also often the month in which Easter falls so the name offers hope and forgiveness - things I desperately needed. 

And, so, I kept April as my name. The Rhaynes portion is still part of my Gmail address but I can also ascribe the same positive vibe to the rains of April.

Just now, April Marie said:

And, so, I kept April as my name.

Wow, April.  There is such depth to the story behind your name.  Thanks for sharing.

Just now, April Marie said:

I originally chose my name to have a negative connotation.

What a journey you have with your name! It's pretty wonderful, the whole idea, dark and stormy and then there's light and beauty that breaks through!

When I first came to TP I was using the name "Jandi."  It was a combination of my birth name (which I always hated) and the name most people knew me by.  It was kinda given to me accidentally by my ex, but there was a bit of negativity involved.  But it sounded kinda femme, and worked for me at the time. (I still get mail addressed as such)

But the negativity was still there.  I decided to go with something else if I wanted a legal change.  I had been using "Ivy" for about a year in a private situation, kinda to try it out.  I actually had a tattoo of an ivy vine running up my leg.  I don't know if I thought of Ivy as the "real" me or what.  But I started to use it more openly, like on here, and it still felt right.

When I changed it legally that's what I chose.  Ivy is not related to my deadname at all.  I also chose a new middle name, and even slightly changed the spelling of my last name.  

My ID says "Ivy" (F) as does my birth certificate, and passport.  That guy doesn't live here anymore.

So I changed my name when I first broke my egg. I've changed it all the way from David to Davie—a longer jump than it first appears.

I signed up for new insurance the other day even without a legal change completed yet. Good news: they asked for my gender ID. When I said Trans Non-binary, they said "No such category—Non-binary, we have that, OK?" Thinking I can't explain my choice inside of an hour, I let it go. "Categories" are what makes America and insurance companies into a big evil mess of privilege and sexism. But to live at peace in the real world I've learned to accept it. 
—Davie

1 hour ago, Davie said:

But to live at peace in the real world I've learned to accept it. 

There is a lot of stuff we learn to live with.  It's just our environment.

3 hours ago, Ivy said:

There is a lot of stuff we learn to live with.  It's just our environment.

A lot of stuff. Exactly so: Accept. Learn. Move on. Create anew.