• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sarah McBride Likely To Become 1st Trans Person Elected to Congress

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2024-06-12/democrat-sarah-mcbride-could-become-first-transgender-member-of-us-house

Wow, this would be tremendous, and is close to a sure bet in heavily democratic Delaware.  Her appeal goes far beyond the LGBT community, as she has proven herself to be an effective voice for her constituents and at getting legislation enacted.  Nothing is certain in politics, though, so I'll keep the Champaign in the closet for now.  ;)

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I have met Sarah in person, and our lives intersect through a few other people as well.   I admire her immensely, and can  attest to her wonderful humanity.  She is a "Neighborhood Politician" in the sense that she is very open and close to her constituents both in daily interaction and even in presenting interests they have that may not fully line up with her political party, but give actual service.

I am not aware of her politics or record, but it's heartening to see increased respect and representation of minority voices.

Believes in climate change, anti-gun, etc...  Just being trans doesn't mean she'd have anything in common with me, even if I lived there.  Just the usual Democrat stuff, and no surprise for Biden's home state. 

If you want progress, it would be interesting to see LGBTQ+ candidates who AREN'T Democrats.  Maybe Blaire White would run for office? 

1 hour ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

If you want progress, it would be interesting to see LGBTQ+ candidates who AREN'T Democrats. 

My 2c, I think that is an excellent comment. 

But why it is even a news story shows how far we have to go, here or there. Why is gender suddenly important to candidature if transition is involved? It's like news of the first black, or the first Hispanic, or the first gay person etc. to run. Cringe!!! 😧

Well, it would be a big deal to me.  I'm not from her state of course, but it could show that trans people are perfectly capable of filling rolls in society.

If she is elected, I suspect that the disrespect from the other side of the isle will be epic.

As for her party, I'm not quite convinced that their goal is the collapse of society.

I would love to see a nonpartisan trans candidate. Someone who can take the plusses of both sides and put them to use. For instance, anti-gun laws I don't understand. All you are going to do is make the black market that much stronger. Plus those who are mass casualty shooters don't abide by the law period! All you are is accomplishing by taking guns from law abiding citizens and that is if they want to continue following the law. Ghost guns aren't going to magically disappear. 

Just now, Ashley0616 said:

Anti-gun laws I don't understand.

More than 40% of transgender adults in the US have attempted suicide. Most gun deaths are suicides.

I've had 2 siblings die of ALS.  I still consider this an option.

1 hour ago, Mirrabooka said:

Why is gender suddenly important to candidature if transition is involved? It's like news of the first black, or the first Hispanic, or the first gay person etc. to run. Cringe!!!

It's about representation, plain and simple. And it is important. There is power in representation. People with voices not often heard also bring new things to the table, which is also super important. America is not old, white, and male, but that's historically what our government has been.

Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey joined lawmakers and members of the LGBTQ community Wednesday to mark Pride Month. Healey, America’s first lesbian governor, oversaw the raising of the Pride flag on the Statehouse lawn. The ceremony also marked the 20th anniversary of the legalization of same-sex marriage in Massachusetts, the first state to allow the unions. 
https://apnews.com/article/boston-pride-maura-healey-samesex-marriage-5c92c5e215849f83b12cf98ad5716e21

Just now, Davie said:

More than 40% of transgender adults in the US have attempted suicide. Most gun deaths are suicides.

None of that is a justification for any restriction. 

As long as trans candidates continue to support leftist big government ideas, they will never gain support from people like me. Being transgender alone is not enough of a political platform, nor do I consider transgender Democrats to be good news.

I would love to have some trans folks running as Independent or Libertarian candidates, or even as Republicans. It can happen.  It is way past time for it to happen, so that we can defeat the "Trans = Democrat" illusion, which I believe is the source of most opposition to our existence.

I think all the anti-trans legislation, particularly on the state level, tends to drive a few trans folks away from the Republican Party.  Even on the federal level they are trying to eliminate my care from the VA.  So, I'm supposed to help them?

I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid.

Just now, Ivy said:

I think all the anti-trans legislation, particularly on the state level, tends to drive a few trans folks away from the Republican Party.  Even on the federal level they are trying to eliminate my care from the VA.  So, I'm supposed to help them?

:ThanxSmiley:

• Admin
Just now, Ivy said:

A hill I stand on as well.

13 hours ago, MaeBe said:

It's about representation, plain and simple. And it is important. There is power in representation. People with voices not often heard also bring new things to the table, which is also super important. America is not old, white, and male, but that's historically what our government has been.

I understand that, completely. I was looking at it differently; in a holistic sense, a person's gender, gender expression, sexuality, race, religion etc. should be totally irrelevant and unremarkable regardless of their chosen careers. Those characteristics do not define what sort of politician they are, nor does it prevent them from bringing good ideas to the table. 

I just hope that this exposure of McBride doesn't bring unwelcome attention to her from some quarters.

Representation is a hard one to solve. Different cohorts will always feel underrepresented, and the overrepresentation of wealthy old white men in politics (responsible for most of thew world's ills at the moment) will be defended and protected to the hilt by wealthy old white men! I don't know what the answer is. Quotas? I'm not dead against them, but they can be problematic, I think.

17 hours ago, Davie said:

The thing is that if that is taken away they will think of something else. You won't stop suicide. The mind can be a dangerous weapon. The options are endless. 

The thing is that if that is taken away they will think of something else.

I suppose the thought is that guns make it easier to act impulsively.  But as you say, I can (and have) thought of many ways to accomplish this.

Let's not get too off topic.

Just now, Mirrabooka said:

in a holistic sense, a person's gender, gender expression, sexuality, race, religion etc. should be totally irrelevant and unremarkable regardless of their chosen careers.

This statement has multiple sides, too. Yes, we should all just be humans and be allowed to thrive. Secondly, a person's background DOES bring different things to the table--different perspective. Also, while it's utopian to believe we all should live in a world where our creed/color/identity/sexuality shouldn't be factored, we don't live in that world. We have to be vigilant and keenly aware of the "colorblindness trap".

For people in the public spotlight, it's not likely going to happen that their minority status is obviated. Attention will be paid to who and what a person is, no matter if its disclosed or not. One can only hope that, when the person come from a minority segment of society that this is celebrated and not vilified--or objectified. There will be a day when it will be "no biggie" that a trans person is in office, but today is not that day.

• Admin

Sarah Mc Bride has been extremely out and vocal about her status as a Trans Woman since her college years.  She and her late husband Andy were the first two Trans White House Interns under Pres. Obama where they met.  The story there is told in Sarah's biography Tomorrow Will Be Different  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow_Will_Be_Different.  Trans issues are NOT her sole running platform by a long shot and she has also been elected to a minor state office and now State Senator plus other direct dealings with her constituents who are Cis / Het / LGBTQ and even Conservative who value her direct attention to their needs for services.  I know this because I have several friends who live in her district and value her accessibility for all financial levels of the community she lives in and does what she can to represent all of them.  

• Admin

Please, no more posts about guns and/or suicide in this thread.  It is way off topic.  Also, as a general unofficial rule, it is not a good idea to talk about the means of suicide anywhere on this site, since it is a support site and we are trying to prevent suicides and self-harm here.  Thank you.

Carolyn Marie

Just now, Carolyn Marie said:

Please,

Gotcha 

10 hours ago, VickySGV said:

Trans issues are NOT her sole running platform by a long shot

Since that's true, looking at the rest of what she stands for... it is a problem.

Other folks have rightly pointed out that representation is an issue.  A big thing I consider is HOW trans folks are represented.  If trans folks running for office are usually Democrat, standing for all the stuff the Democrat party embraces... that leaves out people like me.  We simply aren't represented.  And its worse than that - we are MIS-represented.  Maybe I'm a minority...of a minority of a minority.  But I'm certainly not alone.  Call me crazy or dumb, but just don't call me late for dinner. :lol:

When people find out about me, I often hear stuff like "You voted for Biden, didn't you?"  They just can't believe that I'm really just like them in how I see life, that I'm mostly like them in how I vote...I just happen to be physically, mentally, and sexually different.  It seems like a trans Democrat candidate confirms the usual stereotype, making acceptance more difficult for people like me.

I don't like how our politics has become a zero sum, us or them thing now.

Unfortunately in my state, one party's agenda seems to be directed directly at me, and people like me.  So it seems like if I were to support them for some other reason (perhaps as a gun owner) I would still be supporting my own oppression.  That's a bit hard to swallow.

Just now, Ivy said:

So it seems like if I were to support them for some other reason......

I would still be supporting my own oppression.  That's a bit hard to swallow.

Oh, I totally understand the feeling.  

"Supporting my own oppression" is how I feel no matter which party I vote for in the Federal election. Vote for Republicans, I get oppression for being intersex/trans.  Vote for Democrats, I get oppression in several other ways. 

Like, its fine for trans visibility to have trans candidates...but aside from being trans, candidates like Sarah McBride have nothing to offer people like me.  

• VickySGV locked this topic