• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Differences In Electrolysis Vs Laser

Guest sara w.

Guest sara w.

I'm just wondering what is the difference in price, pain, and end result between electro and laser, and does anyone know a good electro or laser treatment place in ontario.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anna_SF

I found the pain of electrolysis too much to bear. You can usually get a free consultation with a few hairs removed but the real test is the 1 hour + long sessions. I walked out of the appointment feeling like I'd been slapped by a slapping machine! She told me to do my upper lip with laser because the hairs were dark enough and laser would work well. I have dirty blond hair and about 30% of my facial hair is blond but the remainder is dark brown. I did the laser and it took about 15 minutes for my whole face/neck and actually felt refreshing! The trick is shave, shave, shave before your appointment - any hair above the skin will burn slightly and give that nasty burned hair smell.

I'm not 100% convinced the laser will work but the electrologists cotton ball was covered with dark hairs and I thought, "Why not do laser first and have the electrologist clean it up after?" I have a lot more respect for the people who have done their entire face with electrolysis! I haven't seen too many posts of people 'post-laser' so I'm a little worried that it's a beginner's mistake, but I also feel that electrolysis is over 100 years old and it's time to move on. I've only done one treatment and they said after about 3 weeks I should see some results.

Hopefully we can hear from others who have completed laser and get their views on how it went.

Anna

PS - making the appointments is no big deal. I was worried they would grill me and then give me long, questioning looks, when I arrived.

PPS - I wouldn't book any appointments (or buy any product) until you've consulted both types. And don't mention you are trying the other technique because they will try and bias you in their favor.

Dear Sara,

I have never tried electrolysis, but i can tell you a little about my experience with laser hair removal. Two days ago, I had my 9th treatment and I am very happy with the results so far. My spa technician uses an "elos" laser, which ". . . uses bipolar radio frequency in conjunction with laser energy to deliver effective and safe treatment for all skin types and hair colors." I have the upper lip/chin/cheeks/neck done every 6-8 weeks. It's expensive--$350.00 per treatment, at least where i am going here in San Francisco. I can buy a "four pack" of treatments to save $200.00, which is what I was doing, but lately i can only fit (barely) the $350.00 every 8 weeks into my budget. I just don't have 1200.00 laying around, but you can pay as you go. It's so expensive because they do the entire face and neck every treatment session. You could just have the upper lip or just the chin, etc done to make it more affordable--at least you will be making progress. I'm at the point now where there are some stubborn patches of light colored hairs, and the heat has to be cranked up to get them. This last session, I got a slight burn and blister on my chin (it will heal just fine)--only time in 9 goes, but I think the technician dialed the energy up a little too high. I'm sticking with this spa because my technician is very good and very nice and he knows my needs, and they really pamper you: it's all very Asian in decor . . . bamboo, water fountains, flowers, artwork, soothing music, and they serve you wine (if you like-I pass that up), and if you like they offer sedatives--vicodin and valium before your treatment, in addition to the numbing cream. i'm I big baby, so I go for full sedation, and I always come and go in a taxi, because when it's over I have to be poured into the backseat of the cab.

These elos lasers are common, you should have no problem finding someone who uses them, if you should decide to go that route. My very first laser treatment was actually done at a different place, and they used a "lightsheer diode laser" but this laser is not effective on white, grey or blonde hairs, and they did not offer package discounts. Also, their place was at the top floor of an old building that you reached after climbing some old rickity stairs and the place was just UGH. Anyway, I hope some of this helps!

Guest Elizabeth K

WOW

I had about 12 hours electrolysis - only about 50 % results. I only had eyebrows and upper lip done... and it was getting expensive. I quit and now am thinking Laser - but I don't hear much good... so i donno! Mabe i will just keep depilating and tweezing for a while.

Lizzy