• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Eeo Policy

Guest 71christy09

Guest 71christy09

In today's mail I received a revised EEO policy. I had been looking on the company website the last few months and have been unable to unearth the whole policy, just bits and pieces...so this is a great find. What I had found on the website stated all the normal stuff and only protected gender, not gender identity. This is what it says now.

PURPOSE

Company Name is strongly committed to equal opportunity in all employment matters. Our work enviroment must always be one that respects differences whether based on Race, Color, Gender, National Origin, Age, Disability, Religion, Vetran Status, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity or Genetic Information, so that all employees can contribute to their fullest potential. These Policy Directives explain what Company Name expects of it's employees in this important area.

PROHIBITION of DISCRIMINATION or HARASSMENT

Company Name strictly prohibits any discrimination or harassment based on a person's race, color, gender, national origin, age, disability, religion, vetran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other ground prohibited by law ("protected status"). This policy covers all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotions, terminations, pay, and the work enviroment.

ZERO TOLERANCE

Company Name does not tolerate any type of discrimination, harassment, or offensive behavior based on a protected status. ALL proven violations of Company Name's policies against discrimnation, harassment, and offensive behavior will result in appropriate discipline of the employee, up to and including termination. Graffiti and other anonymous communications in violation of this policy are particularly serious, and absent of very compelling extenuating circumstances can result in dismissal on the first offense. Such anonymous communications will also be referred to the Company Name's Police for investigation.

All in all it is a four pages. I just found this to be interesting and was wondering what you all think of the wording. The paragraphs above are copied verbatum, although as you can see I left out several of the paragraphs pertaining to Prohibition of Offensive Behavior and Remarks (2 pages long), Reporting and Questions, Sexual Harassment (sexual favors/advances and hiring/employment), Affirmative Action, Family Military Leave and FMLA.

Also, yes we do have our own police dept which has more authority then your state, county or local PD, but rarely do they do anything off company property which covers portions of 23 or 24 states.

• Admin

That's a well-worded, fairly standard type of non-discrimination policy, Christy. Nothing wrong

with it or missing from it.

The key isn't the policy itself, its a) how the managers and supervisors are trained to observe it

and enforce it; B) to what degree is it assimilated by the rank and file employeees; 3)

will management give it teeth.

It looks like yes to #3, but only time will tell.

I used to work for a large police department. They instituted a strict sexual harassment policy.

I attended several of the training sessions at which this policy was taught. The instructor

was greeted with derision and disrespect. You can imagine how well the policy was integrated

into the organization. I hope it works better for your organization.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin
The key isn't the policy itself, its 1) how the managers and supervisors are trained to observe it

and enforce it; 2) to what degree is it assimilated by the rank and file employeees; 3)

will management give it teeth.

Carolyn Marie

Sorry about that. A quirk with the b. Now it makes sense.

Carolyn

Guest 71christy09

Well how they are trained is somewhat of an issue to me. Once a year all the managers do have to go to the companie's Mid-west headquarters for training on tolerance and EEO. However that being said alot of them are still prejudiced about alot of things and do make comments which they shouldn't, most people turn a blind eye. The senior manager for my terminal is a black woman and from what I have seen, she does nothing unless it is really blatant.

I would have figured with 200k plus employees nationwide there would have been some article in the paper or online in regards to a TG individual working at or transitioning or perhaps even suing the company. But I have found only silence. The closest I have found is a few gays and lesbians suing the company over mistreatment by managers and fellow employees.

I am however heartened by the fact the policy now says Gender Identity and I am sure there was a case somewhere within the company recently since there is a saying at my work, "all rules and regulations are written in blood". The translation of this saying means someone died, was maimed or somehow injured (mentally or physically) at work and now there is a policy regarding it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ~Brenda~

This sounds very similar to the HR policy that is in the company that I work for. Although not law in all states, and in all countries. I have noticed that very large companies that have facilities in many countries and states in the US have gender identity explicilty stated as an identified protection. To this end, the company enforces their policies themselves.

Brenda

When I was going through my thing with the "boxed devil", aka Jack in the box, an attorney from the transgender law center (who helped HRC) pointed out that Jack's non discrimination policy from corporate was from 2003, and that the law had changed since then. So at least at one of Jack's stores they have been dragged kicking and screaming into the present day and now specifically itemize gender identity and transition status as protected for employees as well as the customers they serve. It kinda sounds like your company--policies sit on the self collecting dust until someone compels them to recognize that their obsolete practices and policies expose them to lawsuits.