• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

9 Reasons To Make Sure You Bind Appropriately And Not Over years and years

Guest Evan_J

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJ

• KieranD

• Ravin

• KC

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest A.S.

I wanna to add something... I learn this the hard way today that I feel like shaking my fist at a buddy of mine was telling me to use back brace band as a binder and an hour later she/he laughed at me like it was a joke and I fell for it big time... I did tried it for few seconds and it hurts yestrday and snapped a pic...

Please don't ever try back brace and I don't care what ppl says about it. Don't try it at anywhere.

Again, I learn the hard way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nick_Hosler

I went back to sports bras. Chelseys right. I am small chested and pass well. I just get paranoid. Thank you

NOOOO!

An ace bandage is by far "the worst " when it comes to repercussions. If he's gonna do it (and its kinda hard to tell a tguy who's determined not to just cuz of how it hurts him to imagine ANYbody can see ANYthing lots of times) then ideally he should go the route of least damage first if he can- the sports bra. Title 9 and Frogg (did I spell it right guys?) have a gooood reputation for flattening guys who sound like your husband (dang near flat to begin with?) I recently even heard the technique of wearing 2 of em- the first one backwards since the "straight" back band will flatten even more. And this is the thing you're gonna maybe have to absorb as an S/O , it could very well be that the "sports bra" thing is problematic actually because of the word "bra". Dysphoria is very much a phychological/emotional thing in that we tend to feel "hyper" aware and scathed by any and everything "for girls" . However much the tguy feels like "being a regular guy " is distant to his grasp, the more it gets amped up. In the event that he just really feels like he needs "strong binding" not "girl bras" (cuz a tguy easily could say that) then have him look on underworks, or tkingdom or one of the companies that actually sells "binders" . These formal binders came from natal males needing gynecomastia (you know, were guys look like they have boobies) who were horrified and bent out of shape about it. A tguy tends to have little problem addressing something in the same way "any other guy would". Anyway, the binders run about 30 dollars each and you can ask around as to which was better in what way blah blah. In the event that 30 is a stretch to go spendin on binders (cuz sometimes it is) theres a program run by a transitioned tguy called "big brothers binder program). Google it. It'll come up. The guy who runs it helps guys that can't swing brand new ones get used ones. Some are even brand new donates from underworks themself :mellow: At a certain point underworks realized where a lot of there gynecomastia binders were going , so a relationship began between and the ftm community as it were ( they even have a page where they explain the sizing for a tmale)

Guest insanitylives
Other things guys have used to create DIY binders:

• A swim shirt (the kind they sell at target) bought one size too small
  • A snug pair of support pantyhose with the legs cut off for armholes and a neck cut into the crotch (the body part you would be useing is made of a stretch resisting kind of material)
  • Biking shorts used the same way as the control tops

No, these things may not be "ideal" but they are less constricting in terms of damage

Will have to try the bike shorts. Both of the other things i've tried with little effect [well...i suppose when your chest varies between 38 and 42 inches(varies on weight and time of... well whatever you wanna call it), diy binding is GOING to be a pain in the rear end]

Guest My_Genesis
Other things guys have used to create DIY binders:

• A swim shirt (the kind they sell at target) bought one size too small
  • A snug pair of support pantyhose with the legs cut off for armholes and a neck cut into the crotch (the body part you would be useing is made of a stretch resisting kind of material)
  • Biking shorts used the same way as the control tops

No, these things may not be "ideal" but they are less constricting in terms of damage

Someone on here "J_Karican" (sp?) recommended I use Underworks compression shirts in boys' sizes. He's smaller than I am height-wise but we were about the same chest size. He got a small, I got a medium. Medium doesn't work at all for me... sucks but hey I guess after top surgery I can use it for an undershirt or something (unless I get too muscular and it doesn't fir anymore - it's already snug.) But I'm wondering if the small woulda worked. Sounds similar to the swim shirt thing.

Guest Evan_J
I went back to sports bras. Chelseys right. I am small chested and pass well. I just get paranoid. Thank you

Heeey! Its Nick! Howdy! Glad you're around. I know there's likely a formal "I'm here" post somewhere , but well, I saw this one first :)

MyGen: Why didn't you just use the ftm sizing page?

Guest My_Genesis
Heeey! Its Nick! Howdy! Glad you're around. I know there's likely a formal "I'm here" post somewhere , but well, I saw this one first :)

MyGen: Why didn't you just use the ftm sizing page?

oh lol woops I meant Under Armour. :P

Guest insanitylives

underarmor seems to have no effect on me, but that's probably because I can't even get into anything smaller than a large without being afraid of popping the seams [my chest has done this to clothes before, when i was bigger. it's left me paranoid lol]

but it might have made a difference.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest ramoneskid

Cripes.. I had my doubts about long-term binding (via underworks gear), but some of that stuff is totally crazy. Thanks a heap for posting this up Evan, I'm going to be sure to give myself breaks and continue saving up big-time for my top surgery.

Also, I've got a pretty specific question - a binder I got via Underworks is a "compression muscle shirt." It feels much looser (looks looser too, but still flat under a shirt) and I was pondering, are looser binders like such, were I don't feel much restraint from it, a better alternative? It's kind of thick so it gets sweaty as heck, but I prefer to wear it most days. If anyone has the same shirt or can tell me anything about this that would be magnifico. :D merci

Guest My_Genesis

Couple questions.

So binding with Underworks - it's bad to sleep in it, right? Because mine is comfortable enough I would sleep in it, I just haven't yet because I am concerned about it being a health issue.

Also - and this question is directed more at Evan because he kinda touched on this in one of my threads - does binding actually cause the breast tissue to break down? Because if it does, that would be good reason for me to bind more often, before going on T at least. But is it unhealthy for it to break down the tissue?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BlueMoon

My boyfriend has hypermobile joints and although he stubbornly says its his bed, I've noticed it getting worse after he's been wearing his binder.

They are now clicking and aching in the evenings and i know he wears it longer then the recommended amount. Can't wait for him to get clearance on top surgery because i HATE that thing and everytime he asks me to help him put it on there's a voice in my head saying i don't want to.... then i remember he won't leave the house without it and it makes him feel better so i grit my teeth and do it :/

Blue Moon

Guest Nicodeme

Couple questions.

So binding with Underworks - it's bad to sleep in it, right? Because mine is comfortable enough I would sleep in it, I just haven't yet because I am concerned about it being a health issue.

Also - and this question is directed more at Evan because he kinda touched on this in one of my threads - does binding actually cause the breast tissue to break down? Because if it does, that would be good reason for me to bind more often, before going on T at least. But is it unhealthy for it to break down the tissue?

If I'm having a particularly dysphoric week I'll sleep in my really, REEEAAAAAAAAALLY beat-up old tri-top, or a double-front. After you've beaten the hell out of your binder I think it's (sort of) safe to wear to bed. It's more for restraint than compression in my case. I wouldn't advise making that a standard thing unless you really have to.

And while I'm not Evan, I can verify that the tissue does break down. It's not quick. But it does really happen. I noticed one day while getting ready to put on my binder that my chest had gotten a LOT softer (and before I started binding, I had very firm...growths) and...basically my chest feels more like it's filled with gel than beans, if you get what I'm saying. Encouraging the tissue to break down is one of my reasons for binding at night during a really bad week. To my knowledge there's no health problems directly associated with breaking down that tissue.

But dude, spare your breathing. You kind of need that after you're done transitioning.

I don't know, I've been binding for 3+ years, and I haven't noticed much, if any, breakdown in my chest tissue. They're still as stubbornly dense as they were before. Maybe it depends on the individual?

I wouldn't sleep in a binder. I have a few times, mostly when I'm sleeping in the same room as other people, or on backpacking trips, and it sucks. Sleeping itself is fine, more or less, but then waking up and facing another day in the binder, digging into your skin and everything, without having had a break from it, is more than I want to deal with on anything more than a very occasional basis. Even if it's a fairly comfortable binder, just try to give your body a break. :)

Guest My_Genesis

If I'm having a particularly dysphoric week I'll sleep in my really, REEEAAAAAAAAALLY beat-up old tri-top, or a double-front. After you've beaten the hell out of your binder I think it's (sort of) safe to wear to bed. It's more for restraint than compression in my case. I wouldn't advise making that a standard thing unless you really have to.

And while I'm not Evan, I can verify that the tissue does break down. It's not quick. But it does really happen. I noticed one day while getting ready to put on my binder that my chest had gotten a LOT softer (and before I started binding, I had very firm...growths) and...basically my chest feels more like it's filled with gel than beans, if you get what I'm saying. Encouraging the tissue to break down is one of my reasons for binding at night during a really bad week. To my knowledge there's no health problems directly associated with breaking down that tissue.

But dude, spare your breathing. You kind of need that after you're done transitioning.

Before I got my binder I would wear a bra to bed, 24/7 except when showering (dysphoria issues with not wearing one.) Sleeping with my binder is just as comfortable.... which makes me think perhaps I should have gotten a small instead of a medium. If I am finding it that comfortable maybe I'm not getting as much binding effect as I should? Because I also could be flatter than I am with this binder. I was borderline between a small and a medium for the 997. Next binder I'm getting will also be a medium but the measurements are slightly smaller for a medium (tri-top) so when I get that one, I'll see if it's too uncomfortable to sleep in. My biggest issue with binding right now isn't that it's uncomfortable to wear pretty much 24/7 - it's just that it's too hot to be wearing a binder! I'm getting the tri-top because then it'll be a bit more like wearing a bra than wearing an undershirt in hot humid weather.

• 1 month later...
Guest Distort

Oh dear, scary stuff :(

One good thing about being 'in the closet' I guess - I'm lucky if I bind for any more that 16 hours a week.

I'm basically resigned to the likely hood of never having the money to afford a complete transition, but I'm definitely looking into saving enough for a breast removal, or at least a severe breast reduction.

• 1 month later...
Guest some ftm guy

hey Evan J..or anyone i guess..so that 2 sports bra method works for only guys with really small boobs or for any size? I'm average unfortunately and i get the feeling i won't be able to pull off the double sports bra method even though that'd be safer. dear christ i knew there were health/safety issues with binding like wearing 2 at once or wearing a size too small could make you pass out or give you a sternum injury so you can't take a deep breath for a few days or weeks but blood clots in the lungs?! heart attacks?! just wow :unsure:

any help would be much appreciated

• 4 weeks later...

Dunno what I'm gonna do about this. Because I doubt I'll get hormones or even chest surgery with my heart......

I already have problems when i bind where I have palpitations!

*is doomed. Doomed I tell ya!*

• 3 months later...
Guest Wulfhere

I was just wondering whether the people these things happened to were wearing Underworks' full length binders or tritops? I can see the full length ones resulting in what was described, but seems to me the tritops are safer. I could see things like bruising or in more extreme cases fracturing ribs, but for the rest of that to happen, I think you'd need to be binding tighter than usual, no? Like binding with two binders, or a size smaller than you actually are.

Also, I find the black and white tritop binders fit differently, with the black ones being a bit more rigid/allowing less movement than the white ones that feel a bit more elastic.

Myself I've only ever used the Underworks tritops (use a medium). I wear them all day (take them off at night) and even when I work out (during both weights and cardio). Even during intense cardio or playing sports I've never felt abnormal shortness of breath or decreased lung capacity. The tritop compresses my chest well and sure it's tight, but when it comes to how it fits around my lower ribs I feel like there is still space to move freely. I'm not sure if that's just the nature of the tritop or just the way my body is, but yeah, was just wondering if there might be a difference in the risks as far as the two types go (full vs. tritop).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cole Turner
:thumbsup: Thanks for the advice and information. I just started Binding and what you informed here is very helpful. I do want to take care of my body, so these warnings are greatly appreciated.
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ashermohawk

O.O; i is scared now... i've had my tritop for about 6 months, and it fits well (a small) and i'm fine most of the time. but every once an a while, i'll have a bad binding day where i just cant wait to take it off when i get home. i, just now, promised myself to bind less durring the day, but this binder is the only one i have. i would like to get a nother one, a mediun this time, and i was wondering if geting another tritop or a doublefront would be better for binding and conserving heath. i feel if i do get another one, i could still use my tritop every once an a while, but not as my main binder.

Guest CariadsCarrot

Wow scary. I just ordered my first binder a couple of days ago and am waiting for it to arrive. Hearing that there are health risks makes me sad coz there are already some breathing problems as part of a disability I have. Thinking about being able to go out with a flat chest made me feel so free. Now I don't know if it's a good idea but I don't know that I could face keeping on living for the rest of my life with my body like it is :(

• 1 month later...
Guest JettCa

could someone tell me how to size one, I won't be getting one for a while but I right now am a 34 DDD I wish to get one now and when I get down to a size A but I won't use it as much when I am a size A as I am andro ty

• 2 weeks later...

I've been binding my chest for 7 years without any problems. I also have/had a chest that's around an F cup. My binder of choice is an underworks 997. The tri-top makes it hard to breathe because the back rolls up on my ribs. I really doubt that I will develop health problems from binding. I also don't want top surgery anywhere in the near future. Sure it's possible to have these complications as the result of binding but I question the likeliness and how much it's related to binding...as well as the relevance to binding properly (ex: underworks 8-10 hours a day max, never while sleeping, not bound while at home).

• 5 weeks later...
Guest sabastion

i can only bind for so long because everytime i do the binder pinches a nerve and half of the bottom of my right foot goes numb. so i only bind when im going to school which is about 8 hours. and so its not that bad. but its not the best.

Guest Carter L

I've been binding my chest for 7 years without any problems. I also have/had a chest that's around an F cup. My binder of choice is an underworks 997. The tri-top makes it hard to breathe because the back rolls up on my ribs. I really doubt that I will develop health problems from binding. I also don't want top surgery anywhere in the near future. Sure it's possible to have these complications as the result of binding but I question the likeliness and how much it's related to binding...as well as the relevance to binding properly (ex: underworks 8-10 hours a day max, never while sleeping, not bound while at home).

Don't question the likeliness -- it all depends on body type and age. It's likely for someone to have complications, but you never know until you do it because different people's bodies react to compression in different ways. I have been binding for a year and already have bruised ribs and costochondritis. My binding habits were six hours a day, five days a week, maximum, using binders that were either the recommended size or slightly larger for me. I have a chest that's 34B.