Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Zenda

Can You Trust A Deeply Religious Gender Therapist?

Guest Zenda   
Guest Zenda

Kia Ora,

For what I gather in the US there are religious colleges that teach psychology a long with other sciences...

The reason for this post is to do with the nut job 'Paul McHugh' views on transsexuality...

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/...TSDecision.html

Also once on Oprah I saw a 'wack job quack' who called himself a psychotherapist who was allowed to deal with young gender confused children...

Personally if I found out that my psychotherapist was trained [for example] at a bible college I wouldn't be comfortable dealing with them-fearing that their faith would be an obstacle in providing an unbias approach to my condition...

So hence my question....Would you feel comfortable dealing with a deeply religious gender therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist?

Metta Jendar :)

MaryEllen   
MaryEllen

The 'wack job quack' who called himself a psychotherapist was probably Dr. Phil. To answer your question. No, I would not feel comfortable seeing a deeply religious therapist.

MaryEllen

Guest Zenda   
Guest Zenda

Kia Ora MaryEllen,

I know that Dr Phil fits the bill=sexually arroused projecting mouth of a duck=quack, but the one I"m talking about was 'another' nut job who was a guest on Oprah and was affiliated[in some way] with Focus on the family...

Donna Jean   
Donna Jean
So hence my question....Would you feel comfortable dealing with a deeply religious gender therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist?

Well, personally, I would not!

A professional should "Ride the fence" in these matters and not have an agenda of their own...

Or a reason to steer you in a direction that you may not want to go....The therapist is a guide....

Where will they guide you to?

I'm not saying that a deeply religious gender therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist WOULD steer you in the direction of their belief...

I just wouldn't take that chance.

There are plenty of "neutral" professionals out there!

Donna Jean

Guest Zenda   
Guest Zenda

Kia Ora,

It cracked me up when I saw bill= 'H-o-r-n-y projecting' mouth of a duck, had been changed to 'sexually arroused' mouth etc...

I'm still smiling :) :) Are ducks mouths really that sexy??? ;):lol:

MaryEllen   
MaryEllen

The naughty word filter has struck again. :lol: It does make for some hilarious moments.

MaryEllen

Guest Jean Davis   
Guest Jean Davis

Well with my personal views about religion and my temper.

The question for me would be if he would feel comfortable with me as a patient. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm always happy to listen to anyone's opinion, but won't take anything being forced on me.

LUV

Jean

Guest StrandedOutThere   
Guest StrandedOutThere

I definitely wouldn't trust a deeply religious therapist. I think their beliefs and mine would always be in conflict. The end result would be that I'd never be able to accept anything they said because I'd always be on the lookout for religious manipulation. Nope...no religious psychotherapists for me.

Guest Aurea   
Guest Aurea

Depends, I don't want to taint everyone who has a certain religion. I'm not into religion, but I also think that you can't judge someone's profession based upon that. If we do, then we judge as well. See, if they can distance themselves from their personal beliefs (which they have too) then nothing is wrong with it. One could argue that someone with atheistic views could do harm as well, and be biased as well.

So the question for me is, can they work professionally? (e.g. without bias) which most professionals can. It's too easy to bash them over just they follow a religion of some kind. And in the end you have the last say, just go to another if you don't feel comfy.

Carolyn Marie   
Carolyn Marie

I only have two widely separated experiences with therapists, and neither ever brought up their

personal beliefs, feelings or personal experiences, and unless they were trying to illustrate some

point, I doubt it would even be appropriate or within the professional standards of behavior.

I guarantee you, if I ever encountered one that I went to for help, who tried proselytizing me

in any way, that would be the LAST session I ever paid them good money for.

Carolyn Marie

Guest skyy   
Guest skyy
Kia Ora,

It cracked me up when I saw bill= 'H-o-r-n-y projecting' mouth of a duck, had been changed to 'sexually arroused' mouth etc...

I'm still smiling :) :) Are ducks mouths really that sexy??? ;):lol:

:lol: i was wondering about your first quote. that seemed to be odd, but now it makes sense. that was funny. Dr. Phil will forever be refered to in my mind as a sexually aroused duck :lol: i dont care if that wasnt the point, my mind has sealed it in as so.

and no, i wouldnt want a super religious therapist. its not that all of them would force a personal agenda, (which i find morally repulsive and an grave insult to the field of psychology to take advantage of a wounded person like that) but i just wouldnt want to take the chance. enough would, so i wouldnt risk it when there are so many unbiased ones out there.

Guest Aurea   
Guest Aurea

Yeah and I can't imagine someone keeps his license after so many people would complain. It's regulated, so the pests are weeded out pretty quick, unless it's a quack without a license.

Guest Zenda   
Guest Zenda

Kia Ora,

:rolleyes: Even though I’m not really ‘deeply’ spiritual as such, ‘Buddhism’ still plays a major part in how I live my life, I would find it hard ‘not’ to incorporate my practice/beliefs with any work I carry out…That’s why I feel any therapist who belongs to/participates in a religious congregation where homosexuality and transsexuality is not fully accepted would be hard pressed not to express his/her personal religious beliefs when designing any ‘therapy’ that deals with transgender people-

They may not state that the therapy they practice is based on their belief system[the guy on Oprah tried to BS his way when asked whether or not his beliefs influenced how he conducted his work] When watching him I had to bear in mind he was only doing what he believed/felt was the ‘right’ thing to do, which just so happen to be in line with his personal religious beliefs…

Guest Evan_J   
Guest Evan_J

No , I would not want a "deeply religious" psychotherapist.

I wonder though how many people think to ask that question. Of course if you came in the office and there were crucifixes, rosaries and a figurine with some biblical connotation I guess you could figure it out. (Don't laugh, I had a boss like that. And a job where "coincidentally" every person who worked there "happened " to be Catholic)

I dunno. I wonder how I would be viewed if I were a therapist. Would I be "assumed" to be a zealot if I said I were Christian upon asking. Or "liberal" just because I took trans clients (if I didn't tell you I was trans.)

Sally   
Sally

I think that a therapist should be devoted to the good of the patients and nothing else so I have no problem with their personal beliefs - if they can keep them seperate from my therapy - most people cannot but it depends on the person.

I have had several teachers who I disagreed with in fundamental beliefs but we were able to put that aside and work on the task at hand - it would be much harder in therapy so I would have to say that even though I am considered to be deeply religious - I have no agenda for anyone else and I tend to thnk that there are others like me - I could be wrong so I would have to meet the person before making a decission.

How's that for not really answering while answering completely?

Please elect me your next President and I will push the Transgender Rights Package.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Jean Davis   
Guest Jean Davis

YEA!!!

Sally for President

I'll get started on the banners and pins. :D

Jean

NatalieRene   
NatalieRene
The 'wack job quack' who called himself a psychotherapist was probably Dr. Phil. To answer your question. No, I would not feel comfortable seeing a deeply religious therapist.

MaryEllen

I only have two widely separated experiences with therapists, and neither ever brought up their

personal beliefs, feelings or personal experiences, and unless they were trying to illustrate some

point, I doubt it would even be appropriate or within the professional standards of behavior.

I guarantee you, if I ever encountered one that I went to for help, who tried proselytizing me

in any way, that would be the LAST session I ever paid them good money for.

Carolyn Marie

I think I would walk out on them and only pay for the portion of the session I was there. The only exception is if I where the one that brought up the subject of religion. Of course personally I don't believe that God has a problem with me altering my body to reflect myself. If God had a problem with it there would have been a commandment against it, but there isn't.

Guest Elizabeth K   
Guest Elizabeth K

WAIT WAIT WAIT???

No???

It's too late - my therapist is deeply religious - Reformed Jewish Faith... we have 'interesting talks' about GOD.

But we click - so it is alright. I told her about my sisters (don't ask) and being members of the fundamentalist Christion WRONG. She nearly fell outta her chair!

But I don't think that is what Jendar meant by deeply religious - grin.

Lizzy

Guest again   
Guest again

I really believe that we have to be realisitic about extremely religious folk, whether they be lay people or therapists---it is dangerous not to face the truth about the prejudice that exists out there! here is a link that outlines---in very stark reality---what conservative christians believe about the LGBT community---it would be niave to believe that psychologists; psychiatrists or psychotherapists, who are conservative christians, would be able to put aside their biases in counselling the transgender community---they are human like the rest of us! Just be careful in choosing your therapist and run like the wind if you come across one of these!

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_evan.htm

Guest Tammy Maher   
Guest Tammy Maher

I can't answer this one yes or no...

You say deeply religious, but ther are many religions in this great world of ours and some are far more open-minded than others. If this therapist was deeply Christian and wouldn't be able to accept me then why would I even consider them? However if this person were deeply religious like my religion (Unitarian Universalist) where we are open-minded and study all religions we recognize and respects each others' differences. So if they were deeply into that sort of religion I would completely trust them So I really I'd draw the line at how open-minded they are beyond their religion. This also says that not everyone in the same religion has the same beliefs as to what is right or wrong.

I hope that helps

(^ _^)/

Janelle

~Brenda~   
~Brenda~
I really believe that we have to be realisitic about extremely religious folk, whether they be lay people or therapists---it is dangerous not to face the truth about the prejudice that exists out there! here is a link that outlines---in very stark reality---what conservative christians believe about the LGBT community---it would be niave to believe that psychologists; psychiatrists or psychotherapists, who are conservative christians, would be able to put aside their biases in counselling the transgender community---they are human like the rest of us! Just be careful in choosing your therapist and run like the wind if you come across one of these!

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_evan.htm

Thanks again!!

Everyone should read this!! All I can say is OMG!! Yikes!!!

Brenda

mia 1   
mia 1

No I don't and wouldn't trust any deeply religious person to give advice about my gender/sexuality the truth is they want you to fit into their mold so you can go to heaven and hang with all the "normal" people..me I want to hang out with my friends wherever thay are now! not with some fantasy about an after life, playing a harp and flapping my wings and bowing down to some diety....give me nothing when I am gone. Dust..is good.....

Guest shotgun_sinner   
Guest shotgun_sinner

I would be totally okay with having a deeply religious gender therapist. Of course their beliefs would have to match up with mine. I wouldn’t want a person with a completely different belief system then me. That just wouldn’t be good. I wouldn’t be able to grow as a person or as a Christian if, say, I had a Muslim therapist.

But if I had a Christian therapist, I would love it. That way if I some questions on something regarding my life and being a transgender and scripture I might be able to ask them, because I know my church wouldn’t give me a decent answer.

Just my opinion.

~SS