• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What Kind Of Church Do You Attend.

Guest Evalyn_G

I am just curious as to what denominations of churches do our various Christian members attend and wether you consider yourself part of that denomination or non-denominational. Also how accepting has your church been with your status (transitioning, transgender, transsexual, etc.)?

As for me, I attend a Baptist church. I consider myself non-denominational, I have attended many different denominations over my life and have found that each church is unique regardless of denomination. I am only out to a few individuals includeing the pastor which I am in counseling with. None of the individuals I have "outed" myself too have opposed it, but they do not understand it.

Well, let's see. When I was born, I was baptized a Roman Catholic and attended a Catholic Church until I was about 5. My father died tragically, and my mother couldn't easily transport us to the Catholic Church in the next town and she had been Episcopalian until she converted to marry my father, so...we switched to the Episcopal Church two blocks away (since basically it is the Church of England in the U.S., it wasn't that much of a stretch). I took my first communion there. But then my mother married a divorced man and well, good-bye to that one. I became a Congregationalist (originally the Puritan church). I was confirmed and stayed there until my second marriage, where my spouse is a Methodist, and I became a member and our children grew up and were baptized and confirmed. But...I don't like where that church is going, so I'm looking elsewhere. I've attended Baptist, Presbyterian, and Lutheran services as well as an early forerunner of today's Evangelical/fundamentalist churches (back in the 60's). So, I've been around a little.

I guess I'm multi-denominational.

I had attended the same church since the age of two but after coming out to my wife, and her leaving I have felt a little uncomfortable attending and then the board removed our Senior Minister over the objections of most of the congregation again (third time that I can remember) and I have stopped attending so a few months ago - Disciples of Christ and now Sally's home worship and her personal relationship with the Lord - no money minded leaders to interfere with my spirituality.

Love ya,

Sally

• 4 weeks later...
Guest S. Chrissie

I am a Roman Catholic attended the church till I was around 14. Then I went to a Baptist church when I was in national service (boot camp) and now I am attending a Protestant church in college (they call it the All Nations Movement, I think). But I never gave up my roots as a Roman Catholic and I consider myself a non-denomination.

Guest Lindsey59

Hi everyone...

I was raised Southern Baptist, in church every Sunday. Was born again believer in Jesus Christ in 1973 watching Billy Graham on TV, oh what a glorious time in the Lord!

They would never accept me, because I was born intersexed.

I now go to the Assemblies of God. My pastor, one assistant pastor and my choir director know of me are naturally nervous. They are ok with me as long as I stay on the "male" side.

That's not good either, although I understand why they feel that way. If the church body found out, some would have a problem and would most likely cause members to leave. That's sad too.

Sometimes, even though I was born with the physical defect and a female mind (I'm stuck in the male body the doctors made me at birth) I really feel like there's just no winning, not even in God's house. I hope and pray I am wrong and Love wins out.

Lindsey.

Boy! One common thread I am seeing in these postings, is how everyone has been strewn all over the map, so to speak. Myself I was raised a Roman Catholic. We attended church every sunday until I was 12---something happened at that point--not sure what, but I'm guessing my parents couldn't deal with the hypocrisy.........then a large gap & non-religious upbringing & I'll admit a lot of chaos, not realized at the time. At the age of 19 I joined the pentecostal church---wow that was a change:))) speaking in tongues; laying on of hands; no drinking, smoking, dancing---pretty much everything was sinful---I remember we even had a heathen record (pre-DVD) burning ceremony in our church parking lot---all those secular music collections were brought in and burned! Then came the point of no return---the cracks started showing and I switched to a baptist church, but after several years found that it wasn't much different than the pentecostal----have thought of joining the United Church (in Canada they are supposed to be accepting of the LGBT community) but skeptisism has kept me away. In a nutshell, I am still searching & no longer attend any church---I think it's been five years.

Guest AlexiThink

I was definitely raised Roman Catholic. Since I was adopted at infancy to my mom and her brother, a Roman Catholic Priest (who I call dad), I didn't really have a choice in the matter. That's fine by me though, I still identify as Catholic, although quite a bit more liberal than my dad.

As for how accepting my church is about my gender identity, I haven't really come out as anything specific to anyone, least of all the church, so I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Guest Joanna Phipps

OK, Born and raised High Anglican got tired of the dogma and formality, have been variously frundamental baptist, no denomiational and a few others before tiring of the legalism, dogma, and (how to put it) its my way or you go to he** attitude of most of the churches i was associated with. Now with most of them having a hostile stand against transsexuals (a stand with no biblical basis) that is more reason for me not to attend.

I dont deny the creator, I just think that humans (as they are want to do) have clounded and poluted the essential purity and beauty of the message.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Isobelle Fox

I hadnt been in a church in 16 or 17 years when a friend of mine who also helped me find the courage to come out introduced me to the church he and his family attend. Its a local church that is part of the United Church of Christ (UCC). A portion of these churches, and luckily and happily the one I attend for sure, are known as Open and Affirming. They are fully inclusive and accepting of LGBT people without question. There is a satellite organization of this church called the Coalition for LGBT Affairs, and I was actually on the board of that organization very briefly this summer. I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life at their annual conference when I got to help give communion to another MtF with a FtM at my side helping. He held the bread, I held the wine.

Last January the UCC Coalition held a series of conferences across the country soley for the purpose of educating members of the church about trans issues. That too was one of the most wonderful experiences I have had.

I really feel blessed to have found such an organization, and in particular the church I attend, because its such an incredibly diverse and open minded group of people.

Guest Talia J.

Hi everyone,

I attend an Anglican (Episcopal) church here in Ottawa that's very open and supportive of LGBT both in the parish and in the wider community. I'm very lucky to have the support of the priest - someone I've known for a number of years since before moving here.

Just last month it was finalized that they can do same gender blessings in the church.

Ottawa is a fairly progressive diocese with a few stick in the mud congregations. That's not true of all areas of the Anglican Church of Canada though.

Too many forget the two great laws, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind and all your soul. The second is like it, love your neighbour as yourself." Funny how people forget that and spew hatred.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Talia

I have a question for the Anglicans, or anyone who might know about this. (I'm not religious-I don't attend religious services, but I consider myself spiritual). Anyway, what is Mere Anglicanism? I've never heard of it. The reason I ask is because I stumbled across an announcement for a "Mere Anglicanism" conference titled: "Human Identity, Gender, and Sexuality: Speculation or Revelation?" They say they are going to discuss things like, "Why are we losing this whole issue of human sexuality - both as a culture and as a church?", and the need to put this whole controversy within the context of the book of genesis to the book of revelation, etc, etc,. Now here's what I find disturbing: They have invited the notorious transphobe, Paul R. McHugh to be a keynote speaker in order to address "these profound things". It sounds to me like another instance of maladaptive religiosity running amok in the the real world, advocating the elimination of LGBT people, especially since 'Mc[im]pugh is involved. Their conference is in Charleston South Carolina in January of 2010. Their advertisement is online at www.mereanglicanism.com. McHugh has spent his entire professional career hating on transsexual women specifically, and the LGBT community in general. He's 78 years old and still tilting at windmills. I guess he wants the lifetime achievement award.

Guest Joanna Phipps
I have a question for the Anglicans, or anyone who might know about this. (I'm not religious-I don't attend religious services, but I consider myself spiritual). Anyway, what is Mere Anglicanism? I've never heard of it. The reason I ask is because I stumbled across an announcement for a "Mere Anglicanism" conference titled: "Human Identity, Gender, and Sexuality: Speculation or Revelation?" They say they are going to discuss things like, "Why are we losing this whole issue of human sexuality - both as a culture and as a church?", and the need to put this whole controversy within the context of the book of genesis to the book of revelation, etc, etc,. Now here's what I find disturbing: They have invited the notorious transphobe, Paul R. McHugh to be a keynote speaker in order to address "these profound things". It sounds to me like another instance of maladaptive religiosity running amok in the the real world, advocating the elimination of LGBT people, especially since 'Mc[im]pugh is involved. Their conference is in Charleston South Carolina in January of 2010. Their advertisement is online at www.mereanglicanism.com. McHugh has spent his entire professional career hating on transsexual women specifically, and the LGBT community in general. He's 78 years old and still tilting at windmills. I guess he wants the lifetime achievement award.

The title of the site mere-Anglicanism seems as shown by this archaic definition from dictionary.com

<STRONG>mere 1AC_FL_RunContent = 0;var interfaceflash = new LEXICOFlashObject ( "http://sp.ask.com/dictstatic/d/g/speaker.swf", "speaker", "17", "15", "dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif

adj. Superlative mer·est

1. Being nothing more than what is specified: a mere child; a mere 50 cents an hour.
  2. Considered apart from anything else: shocked by the mere idea.
  3. Small; slight: could detect only the merest whisper.
  4. Obsolete Pure; unadulterated.

They seem to want to indicate that what they preach is pure Anglicanism, however from reading the site it has little to do with the Anglican church I was raised in. They seem to be a faction of the greater Anglican church and I am not sure how much authority they have in the greater scheme of things.

Thanks Joanna,

Whatever they are, they sound quite controversial. Bringing in McHugh just adds to it. But they'll pay his speaking fee, and he'll tell them what they want to hear.

Guest Charlene_Leona

I was raised Southern Baptist and was even studying to be a pastor. I have also studied many different forms of religion but after 9/11 I totally lost religion. I consider myself spiritual and that's it. The only reason I've been in a church since 9/11 was to photograph the church. I can't say anything good about religion so I will stop there.

Charlene Leona

Guest Jennifer T

I attend an independent church. Over the course of my life I've been in various denominations. I stopped here because this is where I was led. (Long story) But I've been attending this one since 96. I've not come out to anyone there. And honestly, they probably wouldn't understand.

But, I'm a pretty independent person. My relationship with Christ is personal and not based on anyone's doctrine.

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tomgirl

I attend the Roman Catholic Church, was raised in that church that still fits me well, never came out but not worried about, all the priests I know are very open minded :)

Tomgirl

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up pentecostal and was in leadership. Come out as bisexual- kicked out of my church.

Now- I run a charismatic service in Metropolitan community church sydney.

I hadnt been in a church in 16 or 17 years when a friend of mine who also helped me find the courage to come out introduced me to the church he and his family attend. Its a local church that is part of the United Church of Christ (UCC). A portion of these churches, and luckily and happily the one I attend for sure, are known as Open and Affirming. They are fully inclusive and accepting of LGBT people without question. There is a satellite organization of this church called the Coalition for LGBT Affairs, and I was actually on the board of that organization very briefly this summer. I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life at their annual conference when I got to help give communion to another MtF with a FtM at my side helping. He held the bread, I held the wine.

Last January the UCC Coalition held a series of conferences across the country soley for the purpose of educating members of the church about trans issues. That too was one of the most wonderful experiences I have had.

I really feel blessed to have found such an organization, and in particular the church I attend, because its such an incredibly diverse and open minded group of people.

this sounds great! I feel sorry for those who are sticking with a church when they don't feel comfortable coming out there--as a parent of a ftm son, I feel the need to reconnect with a good church, but not at any cost!

• 1 month later...
Guest harvester52

I attend a Unitarian Universalist church here in Oregon City, OR. They're a "Welcoming Congregation" with several LGB couples and trans folks in the congregation. I sing in the choir and am one of the sound technicians. They're a magnificent congregation of open and affirming people.

Guest sarah f

As I said in another post, I go to a United Methodist church. They don't judge anyone there as we have at least a couple of gay couples at the church.

Sarah F

Guest Donna Jean

I don't do "church" any more....

As a youngster I attended Nazerene services, later to Southern Baptist, then Methodist...married first wife in the Catholic church, wife is Wiccan...

I have personal beliefs....

I'll stick with that for now....

Donna Jean

I used to attend a church starting at age 2 and always stayed there as it seemed like home, I met my ex there and somewhere along the way the emphasis shifted from studying the Bible to concentrating on the Ledger so after dismissing three ministers that the congregation all loved because they disagreed with the Board (the big donors) I decided that I was not getting anything out of attending a church service other than being seen there.

I decided that it was more important to be seen by God as a good person who treats everyone with respect and kindness than for a bunch of other people to see me in a pew at church - I have my own personal relationship with God and that is what matters.

Love ya,

Sally