• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Guest Leigh T

What Is Crossdressing, Really?

JillAnne
On 10/2/2009 at 3:04 PM, Guest Leigh T said:

Wow! After reading these responses, I now have the feeling that transsexualism is more cut-and-dry than transvesticism. For me, I had always struggled with how I felt inside as compared to everyone else's expectations of my presentation. There was absolutely no way I could possibly confess my inner belief to anyone in my family, especially to my father, when I was growing up. With that in mind, I had the belief that both men and women, those who were fortunate enough not to have to struggle with the inner gender conflict, were happy with themselves (read happy being male or female) and wanting to tap into that other gender/sex was never a decision beyond the normal curiosity. Something akin to casually watching a movie like 'Switch' just to watch the humor of a fish-out-of-water situation.

If I understand the gleaned explanation, even heterosexual males and females may have a desire to tap into a cross gender self that they may feel is floating within their consciousness? Am I understanding this correctly? Or could crossdressing be like a low-grade condition on the transsexual scale? Those of us who actually seek and obtain SRS being on the high-grade level? This train of thought is not taking into consideration those who crossdress for erotic reasons, which itself seems self-explanatory. I'm referring to those people who find comfort, wholeness, etc. is crossdressing.

I must admit that I grew up with the understanding that men and women without gender issues never felt the desire to wear the clothing of the opposite sex. Women have clothing lines that venture into the male style but rarely is the inverse true. In fact, I can't remember one. Also, it is hard to 'label' a female as a crossdresser since it is far more prevalent and acceptable for them to wear mens style or even mens clothing.

I think CDs (for lack of better identification) are more complex than transsexuals based on the various origins. There are several to many reasons someone would want to crossdress but basically one for those who want to be female or male. If the scientific community weren't so parochial in their choice of research areas, this would be a fascinating and worthwhile topic to explore. I'll also be honest to say that if there was a true cure for transsexualism (and not that [email protected]#$%&^ Christian route that doesn't work at all), I would have taken it.

Well said

JillAnne
On 10/2/2009 at 4:25 PM, Guest Danielle2 said:

Wow, Chloe! You nailed it! This is the first time I've actually heard it expressed like this and I can totally relate! I think this may have helped me just as much, if not more, than it helped Leigh! Thanks, girlfriend!

Danielle

Well said

JillAnne

Tessa

I would like to comment on this subject. I think for me it’s more how I feel. I own both female and make clothes. I use to have mini skirts and dresses but I had to sell them because money got tight. I had a wig but I got rid of it because it was to hot on my head and made me itch plus it wasn’t convincing me I was a woman. I sold my dresses to. I’m down to panties and nightgowns now. I can choose my undergarment on how I feel that day. My men’s clothes are unisex so it doesn’t matter. I’ve bought men’s bright clothes to bring out my feminine side. I can also choose how I want to present inner self. Sometimes I will shave my legs and other times I won’t. My personality though is more of a woman’s. I’m a writer, journal, soft spoken, very emotional, love romance, and love to dress cute regardless of its men’s or women’s I am always put together. I thought I was a trans man but I’ve begun to see in my journey that I just have female traits. So am I a cross dresser? I will never label myself because labels mean you belong to a group. I am me and if I am truly free that means I can be a woman or man. When someone or myself needs a little love that is when Tessa comes out and when I need to think logical about something I use my woman’s intuition. If I need to be strong and brave my manly side comes out that is not to say woman aren’t strong and brave but in my case that’s when my male side shows up. I do think I primarily live in my woman brain though. If this has made sense to you or helped you in anyway please comment. 

love to all 

Tessa 👩‍🦰

Guest Sadie

This is a complex subject. I am many things, an introvert, a bit geeky, a wannabe musician, can write passably when the mood strikes, a mechanic at times, a wood worker, a cook. The list could go on. . I tend to be soft spoken unless you get on my bad side or my mood is bad which happens too often. I'm also moody and have a dark side where I reside in often. I've enjoyed dressing in women's clothes occasionally since I was 15. Always in private. Currently there is a younger woman dictating my cross dressing. I wear dark knee length dresses with a petticoat, a long wig and heels 6" tall. This is my attire when I'm home. I"ve considered becoming transgender. Fear of loss of income means I have to wait until I have a debt free home. So, am I a cross dresser, I would say yes. Am I transgender, again probably yes. However handles don't adequately describe any of us. But it does give us a beginning point to begin visualizing a person if we keep in mind these handles are vague and an over simplification of who a person is.

Susan R
17 hours ago, Sadie said:

I"ve considered becoming transgenderFear of loss of income means I have to wait until I have a debt free home. So, am I a cross dresser, I would say yes

Hi Sadie, Welcome to our home away from home. It’s nice to have you here with us.  Thank you for sharing.  I have one question however.  Did you mean ‘transitioning’ in the above quote? In many circles, you probably already qualify as transgender and are somewhere on the trans spectrum if you are crossdressing.  There may be some that believe crossdressing alone does not fall under the transgender umbrella term and that’s fine. If you have a moment though maybe you might clarify what you mean to help others understand what you believe or meant.

Thank you for adding to the conversation tonight. If you have time and feel comfortable, why not share a little of your journey in the Introductions sub-forum and tell us how you got to where you are today.  I’m sure there are many of us here including myself that would enjoy hearing more about you.

Warmest Regards,

Susan R🌷

Guest Sadie

Yes I do mean transitioning. I've considered both HRT and surgery as possible options. I know HRT comes first, then surgery. And that it's far more complex than that simple explanation.

I will probably post in the Introductions forum soon.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 73 Guests (See full list)

• Carolyn Marie
    • Becoming Jordan
    • Sydneyblue
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Chibdeeb
    Newest Member
    Chibdeeb

1. gennee
      gennee
      (72 years old)
    • Wichita
      Not sure if I’m in the right section or not, but it’s hair-relayed, so I’m hoping do.   Has anyone noticed hair loss after starting spiro? I’ve been on the spiro/estradiol train for almost a month and I’ve noticed an increase in hairs making an “exit” from my head area.   I have debilitating OCD, and sometimes I tend to use a wet wipe, well, almost every where. After a quick couple of passes on my head (OCD sucks, I assure you) I’ve noticed there are hairs in the wet wipe afterward.    I don’t recall seeing this before I started HRT...and my OCD has been at its present level for 3 years.
    • Wichita
      How much was yours?
    • Lexi C
      I think there someone her on TP. who stop after a couple of years. I forget the handle. NOBi? or something like that
    • Lexi C
      OMG Totally do what Carolyn said and if he refuse to see you get a lawyer or at least talk to one. or tell your doc your getting one if he dose not see right away And what up with your general Doc. What a (Dick- Richard) move. I  would report him to the medical board. Jes your obviously in pain and he tells you to go F yrself Cause his/ she is afraid of a lawsuit...God this people make me sick..  Please take of yourself...Get a second opp and seek consul   
    • Carolyn Marie
      Just keep bugging your surgeon to take care of this, hon.  If you want you can ask for a second opinion, but please do so sooner rather than later   ((HUGS)).   Carolyn Marie
    • JustineM
      Well today...... did not help matters. Minor fender bender at the end of my route and a day full of people making “jokes”.  The really funny ones that involve walking up behind armed security and screaming “give me the f’n money” and lets “pretend like we are going g to grab the money bag and run away”.    To try and look on the bright side, I managed to maneuver to where the other car hit the front of my truck instead of the drivers door. And no one was hurt.    Im going to bed now, hopefully tomorrow will be better.
    • Cheyenne skye
      Recently I've been following a YouTuber who detransitioned after about a year and a half.  I wonder if anyone knows what was the longest a person had been transitioned for before realizing that they were better off as their birth gender? I imagine it would only take a year or two to come to this conclusion. But has anyone ever been transitioned for, say, 5 or even 10 years or more, before deciding to go back?
    • Lexi C
      I am in no way a tech person. I had several diff personalities website for my previous occupation, but once i quit that business I deleted all those acc. Frankly don't care if they re appear via some kind off black mail scam either. I have and always had only one FB acc filled only with the people that close to me. Thus when I was ready to tell everyone I just pull the band-aid off and came out on FB. I most say, I had 200 hundred close family and friend before i can out and now its down to like 150. I got some message saying how ungodly it was and a few older relatives that said they did not understand and a couple of what i thought where friend calling me a -awesome person-. But hey it would of taken me weeks and half of my sanity to call or em everyone. So i am happy with my choice.'  Good luck and as always, be safe, BE Proud and KICK ASS    
    • Astrid
      I came out as non-binary six months after retiring as a senior software engineer, but I can say that at my last company, for whom I worked 11 years, there were two MtF trans engineers.  They held their heads high, were proud but not loud (at least in the workplace), kept their private life private (as was/is entirely appropriate), worked hard, and were treated as equals by co-workers. So, yay!   With all the stress of deadlines, the need to continually keep learning in a fast-changing field, and constant peer review of your code, software engineers are generally very busy, smart cookies, but still are quite varied in their personalities and character.  It was kind of a bell curve, with a few who I wanted nothing to do with, most competent, and a few who were outstanding in many traits (not just coding).   A vital topic is:  how supportive is your company of trans and gender non-conforming people?  Do they quickly put a stop to discriminatory behavior by employees?  Do they provide gender-neutral restrooms?  Do they practice what HR preaches?   If the answers to the above questions are all Yes, then you've found a good place to work and an environment where you'll most likely be allowed to grow in your career.  However, I'll acknowledge that it can be hard to know the actual situation for some of these, as individual issues and cases usually remain private and are not discussed openly.   Regarding inclusivity, you're quite right -- females often must work harder to be heard at meetings, have their ideas championed by a manager, and so on.  It can be lonely!  Not long before I retired, I worked with a (brilliant, junior-grade) female engineer for several years who was based in India, and we developed a good working relationship and talked about our personal lives. She cried during one conversation, saying that I was one of the few engineers who was actually kind to her.  I was saddened to learn that that was the case.  I've certainly known plenty of engineers both male and female who, after years of internalizing the stresses, cash out and find a different career.  For me, it was a very interesting career, but one not without plenty of bumps along the way...and that's outside of gender issues.   Best of luck, Amber!   Hugs,   Astrid
    • Lexi C
      congrats Shay..I hope Medicare pan out!!
    • Lexi C
      Hey Sara Thanks i get it.. But maybe Kay is right. GOD THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!! Big hugs to you both Lexi
    • AcanOfBeans
      My general doctor refused to see me since this is related to a surgery and could be considered a complication of it. Got ahold of the nurse of my surgeon and she said it looks like an allergic reaction to the bio oil. It's been 7 days since I used the oil originally and started having the reaction, stopped having fluid drainage the other day and now am left with the worst hives I have ever had. From my shoulder, along the sides of my chest, and down to right above my belly button itches like hell. There is no infection but my body sure as hell did not like something in the bio oil.
    • ElizabethStar
      @WillowThank you.
    • Willow
      @ElizabethStar wow, that’s got to be difficult for you both.  I’ll put in a good thought for your wife and the surgeons.     Willow
    • SL
      I kept my old accounts and came out publicly on Instagram. I lost access to my facebook account a few years ago so that one won't be changed, but I feel like that'd be the most dangerous one to transition on because it's a lot more conservative than other platforms. Maybe it just seems that way because a lot of my family are vocal bigots, but I also feel like with how you can see what friends like you are more likely to be exposed to transphobes. I don't plan on making a new account because I was so tired of how gross my family is and never got on before they got political anyways. However, my experience with other platforms is generally support. A few people unfollowed me, but I'll take that over trolls any day. It's probably also different based on age group. I may make a coming out video for my parents to post on facebook for family, but I don't if it's even worth it.   The good thing about social media is you can block people. You may have a lot of people to block on facebook keeping your old account, but I feel like that could happen with a new account too. Facebook is just scary to me. 
  • Upcoming Events