• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Doing Your Own Acrylic Nails

Guest Virginia_

Guest nymphblossom

I've been seeing the girl at the manicure shop down the street so she can fix the split on my one finger with an acrylic patch. After several trips, I said to myself, Hey, that doesn't look too hard and stopped by Sally's for an acrylic nail tip kit. It turned out that the acrylic is actually pretty easy to use. I've been repairing the split myself for a month and it lasts about a week, just like when the nail tech did it.

I actually have nice active length nails, but was wondering if anyone does their own acrylic tips or forms. I'm a daring DoItYourselfer and after getting the hang of the acrylic, wouldn't be afraid to give it a shot :)

Blossom

Guest Joanna Phipps

That is the one thing I would love is some decent length nails. I have tried some of the compounds but always seem to break mine so they look horid most of the time. I cannot afford to go to a pro, any suggestions?

Guest rachael1

My wife is a qualified beautician and sometimes does her own acrylic nails but it is very time consuming so she usually goes and gets them done by a nail technician.

I have tried to talk her into doing mine but she refuses as I can't leave them on for work and they are hard to remove and can damage your nails.

I am hoping one weekend she will do them for me, I would love a set of french nails.

Rachael

Guest ChloëC

Johanna,

Regarding costs, have you tried looking into beauty schools? Often because they are students, they will charge a lot less, but still do a very credible job (they do want to graduate and are under the supervision of licenced professionals).

Also, I would suspect there a number of nail technicians (newspeak for manicurists) that do things privately rather then through a spa (newspeak for beauty salon), and not as a primary occupation, so they might charge a little less. It might take some asking around.

Why do I sort of know something? My daughter just finished 400 hours of state required instruction and yesterday passed her state board practical. Even tho 3 shops have asked her if she would be interested in working there, she actually found a different job through a friend that includes benefits (medical, etc) which she knows she needs, so she will be doing nails on the side, with her board certification. And I helped her pack for her exam yesterday, so I know what she carries with her, and it can be a very mobile profession. (As a parent, I already know it's a noble one.)

Hugs,

Chloë

Guest Charlene_Leona

I learned how to do acrylic nails by watching my mom do hers for beauticians school and have been doing mine off and on since I started my transition. I would recommend getting the kit from Wal-Greens that has the sticker guides in the kit. You also want to get the primer and acrylic nail remover to safely take the nails off. It's not hard to do but it does take a little practice to get it right.

Charlene Leona

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 64 Guests (See full list)

• HollyNoel
    • Susan R
    • MaryMary
    • Sydneyblue
    • Katharina
    • ElizabethStar
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Molly Nolen
    Newest Member
    Molly Nolen

1. Amica Rodgers
      Amica Rodgers
      (39 years old)
    2. Dakota16
      Dakota16
    3. Samanthag
      Samanthag
    • Susan R
      @Ithani Keep your head up, hon. If there one thing I know for sure...change is always right around the corner. Take a deep breath and know that things will improve.   Before I let you go....Can I ask what you have done or are doing for yourself to combat this? Are you trying to handle his on your own? Do you have any real life local support or allies?   Susan R🌷
    • Susan R
      Hello and welcome @Cristie Bauman. Nice to meet you. You’ve come to the right place for sure. I for one would love to read your story. I’m sure you have some very unique stories to share within your journey thus far and likely more coming soon. Like you, I knew I was a girl at a very young age (4y.o.). I was told that boys don’t act or dress like girls at that early age. It didn’t change who I was inside. I was 56 before I finally said enough is enough and started living my life for me. I’m happy to see you are doing the same. Good for you!   Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷
    • ElizabethStar
      I decided to print up a cat ear headband for spooky season.  
    • Emily michelle
      It’s very boring lol. The weather has been cold and raining so I can’t go outside either. I have been doing a bunch of cleaning around the house. Also I managed to pick out my thanksgiving outfit. I have also been working on my hair and makeup. I was quite happy, I use a bb cream instead of foundation. So I was putting way too much on apparently. And it bothered me on how it looked. So i tried to do it with hardly any and it turned out great. 
    • Dana Michelle
      I wrote an update on another thread about genital electrolysis: https://www.transgenderpulse.com/forums/topic/81722-where-to-draw-the-line-for-genital-electrolysis/ . I did end up getting an erection at the beginning of my first session but the electrologist didn't react to it. For most of the session, I think it was in a partially erect stage (probably more flaccid than erect) for the rest of the visit. The second visit it only happened as I was taking my clothes off but it was going away by the time I laid on the table, and didn't really happen at the third (I've had three sessions so far), so it seems as I'm getting used to having electrolysis sessions while half undressed, erections are becoming less common. Although erections are caused by sexual excitement, for me they seem to be also caused anxiety related to sexuality or modesty.
    • A. Dillon
      If you would ever like tips, I worked on voice training for months and now people who thought I was a girl will usually apologize or just look very shocked when I talk. It is all about where the sound is coming from, anyone can do it, you just have to be careful or you could hurt your vocal cords.   I have made posts including my voice trans-formation over the year, and it is pretty crazy, especially seeing as how at that time I was still trying to lower my voice. It was even higher before then, I just didn't notice it (or at least denied it).
    • ElizabethStar
      @Emily michelleHow is quarantine going? Are you able to keep mentally occupied?
    • Cristie Bauman
      I am a 59 year-old, whose birth certificate has Male typed on it, but I've had my doubts about that since the age of 4 or 5.  I've spent a lifetime being a people pleaser and trying to live up to other people's expectations of what I should be.   While I am still alive and have my sanity, I feel it's time to be what I believe myself to be.   I want to learn from others who have been where I am, and hopefully find someone who would like to hear my story.  Gender counselors and Trans friendly doctors aren't common in my state, but we have an abundance of self-righteous religious fanatics who are quick to condemn the Trans crowd.
    • Darci
      Here is the latest, and greatest directive amended as of 26JUNE2020. 1341(2)_D_2018-05-23.pdf
    • Darci
      I did PRK when I was on active duty...one of the best decisions I ever made beside reclassing from 13B to 46Q. I wish you luck on the glasses. I did get to speak to Jilian Shipherd, the director of LGBT care at the VA. She actually seems to give a -crap- about people's care; I was impressed. I also have the latest version of the VA care directive if you want me to upload it.
    • Emily michelle
      I’m not very exiting haha. Nothing happens when you quarantined.
    • ElizabethStar
      Wow, quiet today.
    • Emily michelle
      I understand exactly what you are going through. The dysphoria is horrible and really hard to deal with. Stay positive, it will get better. 
    • Emily michelle
      Comfort is the main reason after eating all of that food. I’m kind of excited about it but really nervous at the same time. I will have two of my biggest supporters there, so that should help. That has created a rift with my sister though because I’d rather spend time with them. Then spend time with my sister.
    • QuestioningAmber
      That's probably a good idea Emily, going with something more low key like everybody else should help you mesh in better with everybody else. Plus, who doesn't want to be comfy and casual for a holiday get together anyways
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.