• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What Could This Scar Mean?

Guest JCinDenver

Guest JCinDenver

Even in my youth, I've wondered why I have a scar from where my penis is circumcised all the way to my anus.

Anyone have any thoughts on what medical procedures that would leave such a scar.

Jamie

Guest N. Jane

It probably isn't from a medical procedure. All males have a "scar" like that. It is sometimes referred to as the "prenatal scar" and is a leftover from development of the genitals early in gestation.

Guest julia_d

It is indeed.. it's left over from the early formation of the fetus. This starts as not much more than a spine and a clump that makes the brain.. the rest grows as 2 halves and curls in on itself eventually joining in the middle (midline down the front) .. the "scar" actually extends right up the front of your body.. some people can see it on the lower belly as well.

Guest nymphblossom

I did a little checking and found some more information. The "seam" actually extends fully from the head of the penis to the anus. From Wikipedia:

The raphe is the visible ridge between the lateral halves of the penis, found on the ventral or underside of the penis, running from the meatus (opening of the urethra) across the scrotum to the perineum (area between scrotum and anus).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penis

The perineal raphe extends from the anus, through the mid-line of the scrotum (scrotal raphe) and upwards through the posterior mid-line aspect of the penis (penile raphe). It is observed as a noticeable line. It is the result of a fetal developmental phenomenon whereby the scrotum (the developmental equivalent of the labia in females) and penis close toward the midline and fuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perineal_raphe

Blossom

Guest Lindsey59
I did a little checking and found some more information. The "seam" actually extends fully from the head of the penis to the anus. From Wikipedia:

The raphe is the visible ridge between the lateral halves of the penis, found on the ventral or underside of the penis, running from the meatus (opening of the urethra) across the scrotum to the perineum (area between scrotum and anus).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penis

The perineal raphe extends from the anus, through the mid-line of the scrotum (scrotal raphe) and upwards through the posterior mid-line aspect of the penis (penile raphe). It is observed as a noticeable line. It is the result of a fetal developmental phenomenon whereby the scrotum (the developmental equivalent of the labia in females) and penis close toward the midline and fuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perineal_raphe

Blossom

So if that's not a surgical scar then, Let me ask this ...is it a common scar that runs from the anus to the base of the scrotum and is raised and is very visible and very much felt?

Mine is raised and sometimes the whole scar gets large enough that it becomes rather raised and very well defined, as much as 1/8th of an inch wide and out.

Is that common? What is that a sign of? The last doctor I saw said it was normal...how could that be? All the scars I see in the photo links above show flat scars, not raised.

Guest nymphblossom

Lindsey59 wrote:

So if that's not a surgical scar then, Let me ask this ...is it a common scar that runs from the anus to the base of the scrotum and is raised and is very visible and very much felt?

Yes, I believe it is completely normal. I plan to ask my doctor about it when I see him next week. He is an OBGYN and experienced with MTF transsexuals, so he should certainly know. If I find anything different, I will update this thread.

Blossom

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nymphblossom

I asked my OBGYN about this when I was in last week. He told me there are no concrete physical signs of being intersexed. That given my ectomorphic build, androgynous features, transsexual markers, low free testosterone, and prenatal exposure to DES, he is going to do a karyotype DNA classification so we can find out conclusively when I see him after to holidays. It is a $1000 dollar test but fortunately he was able to find a code so my insurance will cover it as part of treatment for a hyposexual disorder.

Blossom

• 10 months later...
Guest Lindsey59

Lindsey59 wrote:

Yes, I believe it is completely normal. I plan to ask my doctor about it when I see him next week. He is an OBGYN and experienced with MTF transsexuals, so he should certainly know. If I find anything different, I will update this thread.

Blossom

After all this time, my mother finally told the real story about me. My scare is in fact a real surgical scar! This is such a relief I just cannot tell you all!!

What she told me was they were to adopt a little girl, but the little girl died (me). They arrived at the county courthouse to pick me up and were told to go to the hospital and meet a doctor to see about me.

Once they arrived, a surgeon met them and told them I was born a little girl with some male parts showing. The surgeon asked what my mom and dad want him to do. My mother being very ill-versed in medical procedures said the did not know, what would be best?. The doctor told her well she couldn’t stay this way. Mom asked what would be best? Te surgeon said it's is easier to make her a boy, and that's what they tried to do. 10 days later they picked me up, mostly healed from the surgery.

That's where my scar came from! wow.

I did find out why my mother did not tell me sooner, as she thought I was doing "ok" as a man, and did not want to cause confusion for a problem...

Oh how large institutions, maybe the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins need to ensure all medical schools have this information BEFORE any surgery is preformed! Now I'm in a new fight. Still little employment and not much money to work from and with no insurance, it's doubly difficult to have anything corrected (after 45 years)..sigh~

Guest Lindsey59

Yep, everyone who was born with a penis has one, as far as I know.

I asked my spouse if she new for, about these scars everyone are talking about here, since she rasied two boys, and took care of her termanally ill father. She says there was/is no such rasied scare on any of the 3 she ever saw. Very intersting to say the least. I'm finally at peace about who I am and it's been a long time coming, I can assure you.

• 9 months later...
Guest Isabella_Anne

Doctors many years ago made sex decisions based on what was easier to do. Often without parents input. They guessed wrong much of the time as we see in this forum. Now Doctors make fixes based on the health of the child. And now the child is allowed to grow and choose his or her desired sex for themselves before the medical option is addressed. I was taken away from my parents at birth and flown to a Army hospital where I remained for 5 days. No ones talking in my family and I have requested medical records for the hospital. Time will tell if I was one of those children. With all the medical problems I had growing up it would not surprise me in the least.

Hugs,

Isabella