• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Draft Of Dsm-v Released Online

Guest Joanna Phipps

Guest Joanna Phipps

The draft of the proposed dsm-5 is now available at http://www.dsm5.org with the section we are interested in located at http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/Page...yDisorders.aspx and the GID specific information at http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/Page...on.aspx?rid=193.

There seems to be a movement to rename our syndrome from Gender Identiy Disorder to Gender Incongruence; of all the names our syndrome could have got I think this is one of the best since it does accurately describe what the syndrome is with out clouding it. Does it depathologize the syndrome, NO, however we will no longer be disordered, simply incongruent.

Isnt it interesting that all this good stuff is happening in a comittee chaird by Ken Blanchard of CAMH

Guest Joanna Phipps
TThanks for the link! :D

That really is a great name for transgenderism- Incongruity. I think it might be perfect.

Your welcome Ryles, that link came off the New Mexico transgender mailing list. A lot of stuff comes over that list but not all is worth forwarding on; this was inportant enough that I did repost.

Guest DisDwarf

hey thanks for pointing it out. The new DSM-5 definition looks much better than the old one in DSM-IV.

The name is better, it refers to a mismatch between what society wants us to be and what we are. I also found the withdrawal of subtyping by sexual preference a very positive step.

I'm not yet sure about subtyping by presence of sex development disorders. I wonder whether this will be used to distinguish between crossdressers and non-CDs.

I think some criteria in gender incongruence in children ( http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/Page...on.aspx?rid=192 ) can be applied to adults as well. One is "prefers playmates of the other sex" (so a female in a male body will prefer to socialize with females). This obviously applies to me and I'm 28, and I think it applies to lots of others as well as long as we interpret "playmates" to mean "general socialization/friends etc" (albeit I know lots of adults still play with LEGOs, and I also have a teddybear LOL). To me this preference is strong enough to make me want to exclude contact with males as much as practically and socially possible (so when I go to a shop to see new clothing, I may specifically seek to speak with a female shop assistant if I have a question, and if all employees are male I might prefer to not ask anything).

The word desire is used a lot in this it could imply that it is a desire to undergo HRT/SRS...hhmmm which is how a lot of the general public view it, as a life style choice ..hhmmm.

lol hhmm nothing like deciding to ostracise yourself from society, put one's self in debt, alienate your family and friends.. and put yourself through pain, stress and discomfort while making it harder to find work.... hhmmmm sounds like fun! They so understand us don't they!!!! makes me glad to be ...human? Or whatever they consider us.

I hope there are some bloody amazing TG advocates kicking up a fuss over this, though I can't see them getting it perfect this time around.... where are we heaven? ppffttt. :P

probably written in such as way as to allow the insurance companies to still refuse to cover it by continuing to insist that it's elective.

That is my fear with the way that this is written. I can foresee people having their coverage dropped over this new wording.

Janis

Guest Donna Jean

Rules, guidelines, GAHhhhhh!!

From Gender Identiy Disorder to Gender Incongruence.....

Just changing the wording....

I certainly hope that it helps, but for everything that is done to make it better, someone is screwing with the wording to stab us in the back somehow!

RULES! GAHHhh!!!!

Donna Jean

Guest i is Sam :-)

Thinking about it more tho, the word desire should make it easier to get treatment, provided you can pay for it. It could be a lot more difficult if you had to demonstrate a "need"

Guest praisedbeherhooves
The draft of the proposed dsm-5 is now available at http://www.dsm5.org with the section we are interested in located at http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/Page...yDisorders.aspx and the GID specific information at http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/Page...on.aspx?rid=193.

There seems to be a movement to rename our syndrome from Gender Identiy Disorder to Gender Incongruence; of all the names our syndrome could have got I think this is one of the best since it does accurately describe what the syndrome is with out clouding it. Does it depathologize the syndrome, NO, however we will no longer be disordered, simply incongruent.

Isnt it interesting that all this good stuff is happening in a comittee chaird by Ken Blanchard of CAMH

Well, we do need to keep it on the books as a disorder until enough evidence comes in for it to be considered intersex. Otherwise there is no chance of insurance funding it. Judging by the pace our movement is picking up and the degree of reluctance science seems to have when it comes to us we have a better chance of being able to get it from insurance as a mental disorder than having to wait to get it from insurance as an intersex condition.

Guest Anna_Banana

The use of the word "desire" is a horrible choice of wording for this DSM update. It basically states that we are electing to be the opposite gender. I feel it would be better worded if it said "The individual experiences distress over..." Stress indicates that there may be an underlying medical condition. Desire gives the impression that one would like to buy a car, become highschool quarterback, or get a facy college degree.

.Anna

Guest Joanna Phipps

For those of you who wish to make comments and suggestions why not go to the site, register and post your suggestions that way you can at least say you tried.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that since it is now "incongruence", once you've transitioned you're no longer suffering from gender incongruence and consequently loose the label - that's one of the biggest changes the current draft DSM-V makes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have registered an account on that website and will be posting my opinion on there so that hopefully it will be seen.

愛 Eth

Actually, I went ahead and posted just now. Here's what I said:

I am definitely in support of a lot of what is stated in this proposed revision to 302.85 Gender Identity Disorder in Adolescents or Adults. I especially like that the words "(or some alternative gender different from one's assigned gender)" are included, making this inclusive to androgynes, third-genders and other non-binary gender identities. Although, I don't really see why it needs to be put in parenthesis on the side and why 3, 4, 6 and 6 can't be worded more like "a strong desire to be of a gender different from one's assigned gender at birth" (using #4 as the specific example). That seems much more all-inclusive to me and doesn't put anyone to the side in any shape or form.

What I find to be the biggest thing that stands out that could be corrected, though, is that the proposed revision frequently uses the word "desire" as if this is some sort of choice, and I think that this could prove problematic as it allows for it to be interpreted as such by insurance companies, states, and other establishments of that nature. I have seen it suggested by someone named Anna on a website that provides many services to transgendered individuals of all ages that instead of using the word "desire" it might be more appropriate for it to use something akin to "The individual experiences distress over..." because stress indicates the possibility of an underlying medical condition. I strongly agree with Anna's suggestion and think that it is very important that this be clearly defined as a medical condition and not a "want" or "desire". It should not be so open to interpretation as to allow groups with a vested interest in turning a blind eye to transgender needs and existence to twist the wording to their advantage and find loopholes that let them get away with discriminating against transgendered individuals. I think that is the absolute most important thing that needs to be addressed with the current proposed revision.

Guest Kaitlyn88

I've also been thinking about the new name, that can be used against us too. Gender identity disorder, people can hear that and get from it that it is some kind of medical problem from the sound of it, even if they have no idea what it is. If you say I have gender incongruence they would be like what in the world is that. Then when you try to explain it they would be like oh its just some weird term those gays are calling themselves now. The very wording of the name along with the constant use of desire just makes it sound like an elective for really gay people, to anyone that isn't knowledgable about it. Which is most people, they consider us so gay that we want to be the other sex. It doesn't make sense but that is how many people out there view us.

• Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 192 Guests (See full list)

• MaeBe
    • SwiftySpeedy
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • Ashley0616
    • SamC