• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Epilator

Guest Danielle J

Guest Danielle J

I am going to buy an epilator and I was just wondering which brand is the best to get. I have never used one so I hope you ladies could help me decide don't want to waste money.

Danielle

Guest Donna Jean

Honey...

One of the other ladies will be here in a minute with that info...

I'm afraid that I can't help you.....I don't DO epilators...ICK!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest NatashaJade

Don't pay any attention to DeeJay, dear. She had a bad run-in with an epilator once. I recommend the Braun Silk Epil. It has a headlight, which is invaluable.

Happy plucking!

Luv

Gin

Guest Jean Davis
Don't pay any attention to DeeJay, dear. She had a bad run-in with an epilator once. I recommend the Braun Silk Epil. It has a headlight, which is invaluable.

Happy plucking!

Luv

Gin

Aww a headlight :huh: mine doesn't have that. <_<

I think I'm going to put hazard lights on mine so when I meet Donna Jean she'll know when to stay away. :lol::lol::lol:

LUV

Jean

I think I'm going to put hazard lights on mine so when I meet Donna Jean she'll know when to stay away. :lol::lol::lol:

Make that hazard lights and a warning siren if I am there too!

I was attacked by the same epilator -maybe they aren't evil in and of themselves but they sure seemed to have possessed Lizzy and turned her into a sadistic monster until Dee Jay and I wrestled the plug out of the wall - it put up quite a fight!

Seriously, I am not a fan but so many girls swear by them I just swear at them!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Elizabeth K

diJon I think! Anyway - hard to read the brand name - Sally threw it out the window and Donna Jean ran over it with a garbage truck! I grabbed it out from under the tires as Dee Jay was backing-up for another run!

Lizzy

Guest Danielle J

Thank you for the info and the website, it was $30 cheaper then the site I was looking at. They have already shipped it out so I should have it early this week.

Danielle

Guest Susan57

Hello Danielle,

I could not figure out which one you bought (and I am a day late to affect that)...

I use the Braun Silk-epil and am very happy with it. At first I thought I was wearing one out and got a spare. Turns out that I started on longer hair and it was getting inside causing an increase in friction. with one screw, you can take the head apart and just used my tweezers to pull out the long hairs and it was good as new. I have the original yellow one (from several years ago) and eventually got the newer pink one--same design $40 to $60. Sounds like there are several good ones out there. I do occassionally get some ingrown (what a pain) and a few hairs will break at the surface... but most will be removed and not come back for a long time. It is much smoother than shaving. Waxing may be better I think but this is much more convenient. The first time is not fun but in the end I am addicted. Let us know your experience.

Sincerely,

Susan

Guest rachael1

Hi Danielle,

Sorry I got here late but if you bought the Braun Silk Epil than you made a good choice.

I use this model as well and am very happy with it. I have bought two of them as a matter of fact.

The model I bought has different applicator heads for use on different parts of the body, it also has a clipper attachment.

It is painful to use at first but if you trim the hairs short it helps immensely and you eventualy get used to the pain. I prefer epilating to shaving or waxing as the hairs take longer to grow back then shaving and if you wax you have to wait until the hairs grow to a certain length between each session so you end up with unsightly hairs in the meantime.

Enjoy your epilating. :P

Rachael

Enjoy your epilating. :P

I cannot image that!

But in fairness when Lizzy attacked me with her Dreadnought 1478 (designed for use during the Spanish Inquisition - several Bishops confessed to heresy to avoid it's steely teeth) I had not trimmed the hairs in that area - not knowing that the attack was about to be launched so they were in the two inch range and it got a lot of them all at once!

I wonder if it actually hurts less after multiple uses or if you just become addicted to the pain.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest NatashaJade
I wonder if it actually hurts less after multiple uses or if you just become addicted to the pain.

It's kind of like getting a tattoo. The pain causes the release of endorphins which can be addicting. That being said, you never quite get used to the pain. You just learn to ride the endorphins. Epilating is similar. It still hurts (Although as the follicles weaken, not quite as much) and causes the release of endorphins. It's harder to do because you do it to yourself (self-inflicted sado-masochism is difficult), but eventually you just learn to ride the endorphins.

luv

Gin

Guest Susan57

I don't think anyone does it for the pain. The addiction is for the result. You learn techniques that minimize the pain like not attacking areas of long hair quickly. Some areas seem to always hurt a bit (like the ones with deeper roots maybe) and others almost not at all. The best part is that some hairs seem to give up and not come back. Maybe that is the addictive part (but those are the ones that don't hurt much either).

Sincerely,

Susan

Guest sarah f

Danielle, I don't know when you are getting your epilator but it really isn't that bad to use. My only problem with them is how long it takes to use them. I just find myself shaving everything because of how much time the epilator takes.

Love,

Sarah F

Guest NatashaJade
Danielle, I don't know when you are getting your epilator but it really isn't that bad to use. My only problem with them is how long it takes to use them. I just find myself shaving everything because of how much time the epilator takes.

Love,

Sarah F

Very true! You need a few hours if you are particularly hirsuit. Sometimes I shave because I just don't have the time and otherwise I'd be too furry for my liking.

Luv

Gin

Guest Danielle J

Well I just tried my epilator for the first time. It doesn't hurt to bad on the legs but I'm going to have to take it slow on the stomach and breast area unfortunately my problem area until I get on HRT.

Hugs

Danielle

Guest i is Sam :-)

make sure the hair is trimmed very short. about 1mm. it's best just to shave, then do it the next day. you'll only pick up maybe half the hair and so it doesn't hurt as much. then again the next day, and the next and you ought to have most of it. although obviously some hair doesn't grow until it's back in the anagen phase. so it can leave you with annoying stubble. but if you can't cope with the pain otherwsie then it helps.

once you've done it a few times it doesn't hurt as much, some places now barely hurt for me, but other's i've barely been able to do cos it hurts too bad.

Ideally I'd just get drunk and have someone do it to me a few times, but I don't think anyone likes me that much.

• 2 months later...
Guest Sannara

Love,

Sarah F

Hi Danielle, Iwas just curious, as I have thought about hair removal, a lot of late. And while in a store, noticed products for hair removal, IE: Nair. I'm wondering as I've heard no reconmondations here for the use of these. Is there a reason why, I shouldn't use such a product?

Guest Danielle J
Hi Danielle, Iwas just curious, as I have thought about hair removal, a lot of late. And while in a store, noticed products for hair removal, IE: Nair. I'm wondering as I've heard no reconmondations here for the use of these. Is there a reason why, I shouldn't use such a product?

I have used the hair removal products in the past and they do work. But the results did not last long, but then I do have alot of hair. The only thing is make sure you do a patch test first to see if you have a reaction to the chemicals. Since getting my epilator I use it once a week and just a quick touch up with the razor between times.

Hugs Danielle

Guest Elizabeth K

Well - I don't like razors and I don't like creams!

I depilate! Sally recommends it for everything**!

Lizzy

** not true - she runs away actually, just one time with all her chest hairs in a knot - pulled out all at once - commmme-on - it'll never happen again!

Guest Anna_SF

Hi Danielle,

I am a new epilator user. Don't forget to stock up on a few things to help with the process. Exfoliating sponge/rag/brush, exfoliating body wash (Dove), alpha hydroxy (Walgreens), this will help with in-growns. Witch-hazel to close up the pores afterward. I have the red emjoi but I'm not sure it's working right, I'd go with the Braun. The emjoi has rotators in each direction so you can really go against or with the hair direction. I'm letting my leg hair grow out so it will have more to grab. Don't overdo the process - I did and I think that was a mistake.

You may want to also look into Tendskin - massive discount at amazon.

Please keep us updated on your process!

Anna

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sannara
I have used the hair removal products in the past and they do work. But the results did not last long, but then I do have alot of hair. The only thing is make sure you do a patch test first to see if you have a reaction to the chemicals. Since getting my epilator I use it once a week and just a quick touch up with the razor between times.

Hugs Danielle

Thank you, I will take care using this product. It was attrative to me because I've little hair anywhere except my face. I was afraid there was some real nasty issues attached to its use. Hugs Sannara.