• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Fat Redistribution

Guest Melissa Marie

Guest Melissa Marie

How long does it take for the body to redistribute the pounds that are on the body? Does the fat that you do have move, or do I really have to go on a serious diet and then eat normally to get the fat to redistribute?

Any thoughts?

Hi,

as I understand, the existing fat will not move. You get new fat at females places but you also keep your old male fat. If you do sport activities that burns fat, than male fat is used first.

So I think it will go faster if you increase your energy in- and output of your body. This is more easy with a male body. So diet before HRT would be a good idea.

Greetings

Nelly

It depends on what you start with and well just you, everyone's different obviously but generally within the first six months you should notice your thighs will be reshaping with less muscle and more fat. As well as the butt (mine was already massive so hard to tell) a lot of reshaping mostly for me. I guess it's mostly around the thighs, hips & butt that it's most noticeable sooner.. and a bit in the face, cheeks. Upper body will decrease as well as your neck and arms, especially the wrists, my wrists and almost flat now!!! My elbows are thinner and shoulders are decreasing quite a bit already, my waist went in slimmer quite quickly first 3-4months.

Then around twelve months it's just more of what has begun ..and every six months you'll notice more and more for the first two-three years mostly? Then within the first six months post-op you notice a big spike in reshaping etc. This is just from what I've read as I'm only just just the six month mark. :P

It is a long slow process.

You will notice your bottom getting rounder,the tops of the

thighs are too,the hips will start reshaping into a more flowing

line,the existing fat on you torso moves downward,as you start

taking on a female waist line.

But yes,you should start not only watching what you eat,but how

much you eat.After all,your metabolism will be slowing down to that

of a woman's.You will not burn up the calories you once could.So

adjust you intake to match.While a man carries his excess fat on his

tummy,a woman carries her's on her hips,butt and thighs.And it is

harder to lose weight as a woman also.Plus,we all gain between 10

and 20 pounds during transition anyway.Unless you exercise your

buns off to keep slim and trim that is.

Angelique

Guest Joanna Phipps
But yes,you should start not only watching what you eat,but how

much you eat.After all,your metabolism will be slowing down to that

of a woman's.You will not burn up the calories you once could.

Angelique

Boy havent I noticed the slower Metabolism, there is no way I can eat anywhere near what I used to. My body seems to self regulate and it seems I can only eat as many or fewer calories than I put out. I can try to eat more but it wont work, and Ive already cut out most of the deserts, and drink only water with meals along with another 60 to 80 Oz besides.

Guest Elizabeth K

Good answers. I am preop but 14 months HRT. I have a beloved post op friend (my room mate in college) and she has guided me through the process. She told me to lose all the weight I could BEFORE HRT. So I lost 36 pounds. That was the best I could do as still chemically male. What happens when the HRT kicks in (second month) you go totlly female in any NEW fat gain. The old fat stays where it is!

There is NO redistribution.

Then - yes, our metabolism changes! WOW - women have a hard time losing weight! Our bodies simply go into a refusal pattern - we just slow down and sleep all the time. When dieting now I get cold all the time - my body won't burn calories now to keep me warm - stored calories I guess.

And because we are sometimes still on a male pattern intake of food - just by habit - we tend to gain pounds. At first that seems good. Our breasts develop and some fat distribution begins on the face and legs. I LOST MY PROTUDING ANKLES AND KNOBBY KNEES! Great - and my 'thighs' (woman talk for upper body including the hips and butt) began to slowly fill out (last place to feminize) after about 6 months, and that is now a bit noticable - finally!

but

(NO PUN INTENDED) My waist - which went down the first six months, started filling back in. I was on a constant diet but I gained back about 10 of those 36 pounds, then over the holidays another 6.! YIKES!

So I went on a really strict diet! It took my body forever to get the hint! Women just cannot easily lose weigt! Probably a child bearing thing - our bodies are keeping the extra weight for the baby - sacrificing the mother by making her lathargic and cold natured instead when calories are reduced.

THEN IT HIT ME! Where was all the weight going? Well - obviously a bit in the tummy - but not all 16 pounds! It was replacing the muscles I was losing! THAT was why my arms look strong but are no anymore! Same for the legs - I was getting flabby.

So after 14 months HRT - I discovered two things - I can eat less and still gain! And, that I could actually become a big flabby woman if I wasn't careful!

Oh - the strict diet? I did lose the 6 holiday season pounds - working on that ten!

LIZZY

Guest Donna Jean

I was at 138 lbs. when I started HRT one year ago.

And at my last doctor visit I had gained 12 pounds...I totally freaked out! OMG!

Where did THAT come from?????

I asked the doc and she told me that I now had things that I didn't have before...

Hmmmmm...true....true....

But, I've been trying to get some of those pounds back off and I did get down 3 lbs so far...

The fat redistribution is a mis-nomer...

On HRT the fat that is lost is lost from the male places...

And the fat that is gained is gained to the female places!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

When I went to my docs and was weighed at my two

year mark, I had gained a(gasp) twenty pounds.Told

Jennifer(her assistant) I am a fat girl dang it.All Jenn

said was,"Really,do you think so Angie?" LOL Where it

went was on my hips.Been working at losing it too,before

I hit three year mark this May. Seems to be working,a size

four fits comfy again,and my waist is a lot narrower too.

Seems kinda funny/weird to be losing so much mass,

and still be gaining weight. OMG,I do not want to be like

the rest of the women in the world,obsessing about my weight.

But I know I will,part of being a woman I guess.(grin)

Angelique

Guest Kaitlyn88

I was really skinny but I've put on 50 pounds in a year. I have 49 inch hips lol, I am actually afraid to lose weight because I feel like all the curves give me a feminine figure. If I lost weight I would just be down to my mostly male skeleton. Fat is needed for breast development too, that's why gymnasts and really skinny people are lucky to have A cups. I'm just saying, the ultra skinny look isn't that great, especially for us trans women.

Well, I have been on HRT for 6 months and have been losing weight the entire time - much slower than before but it still is losing so I am happy - it is going from my waist and large belly - it is storing new fat on my breasts, my hips and in my face.

The weight loss must be through diet and exercise - I am more active than I was a few months ago.

I am happy with the changes but would like to speed up the weight loss.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest NatalieRene
Well, I have been on HRT for 6 months and have been losing weight the entire time - much slower than before but it still is losing so I am happy - it is going from my waist and large belly - it is storing new fat on my breasts, my hips and in my face.

The weight loss must be through diet and exercise - I am more active than I was a few months ago.

I am happy with the changes but would like to speed up the weight loss.

Love ya,

Sally

Just keep up the exercise. You don't want to lose weight too fast or you'll get stretch marks and your skin might droop. Slow and steady is not just for races it's the healthy way to lose weight.

Guest Melissa Marie

Thanks for all your replies, and patience with me. I just have to get on a good diet regime and get out and do some exercise.

Would love to look all curvy, but....I have to settle for what I have for now....see if I can lose some of this unwanted stuff, and put it where I do want it.

You will notice as an added bonus,

That your hands and feet aren't bony

anymore either.Fat deposit's in those

area's also,and they look like women's.

Which is a real blessing to us,and a nice

re enforcment with a daily visual reminder.

Angie

Guest Michele H

I've been on HRT just over a year and HAD to lose weight (and still more to loose). I have to fight for every once and if I fall off my diet/exercise program for even a weekend - I loose a whole week's work. I have 15 more pounds to loose by 11 May 2010! That's when I have my check up and 'weight certification" for THE surgery scheduled for 28 June 2010. That date is quite the motavator but it is so hard adjusting to 1050 calories a day! I really haven't seen much weight distribution yet - The boob fairy most has past me by, hips are staying the same (good) and I have dropped from a size 18 to a 14

I've been on HRT just over a year and HAD to lose weight (and still more to loose). I have to fight for every once and if I fall off my diet/exercise program for even a weekend - I loose a whole week's work. I have 15 more pounds to loose by 11 May 2010! That's when I have my check up and 'weight certification" for THE surgery scheduled for 28 June 2010. That date is quite the motavator but it is so hard adjusting to 1050 calories a day! I really haven't seen much weight distribution yet - The boob fairy most has past me by, hips are staying the same (good) and I have dropped from a size 18 to a 14

Once assured of my date,my goal for surgery is 120/125lbs and a size 4 dress.

I all ready wear a 6 very comfortably and am steadily losing the weight I gained,

and that is right at the start of cycling season.Try and get a 35/40 mile hard ride in

each weekend along with daily riding for fun,plus serious caloric intake control and my

goal can be reached.I would like to be a little bitty woman,not just of average height.

Angie

Guest Kaitlyn88
Once assured of my date,my goal for surgery is 120/125lbs and a size 4 dress.

I all ready wear a 6 very comfortably and am steadily losing the weight I gained,

and that is right at the start of cycling season.Try and get a 35/40 mile hard ride in

each weekend along with daily riding for fun,plus serious caloric intake control and my

goal can be reached.I would like to be a little bitty woman,not just of average height.

Angie

Wow I wish I could weigh that little and still look good. I'm like 6 feet tall, I would have to be all skin and male bones...can't imagine that being a good look. <_<

I haven't weighed that since I was like 9 lol.

Heya everyone. Love this thread!

I had a few questions about this too.

I have been on a fairly strict diet for about 6 months now and have lost almost 50 pounds with it. My stomach went from having a bit of a male belly to now fairly flat (my stomach used to be my widest spot from armpits to hips and now it curves in pretty nicely). I have this dang patch of fat just below the belly button that will not go away no matter how hard I diet or exercise.

My question is, if I do gain weight it seems to keep wanting to go back to my belly. I thought we were supposed to loose from the male areas and put on in female?? I can definetly tell when I gain some added weight because I swear my belly will get a bigger.

Also, since I am so obsessed with my weight and watch what I eat combined with 20-30 minute workouts each day, am I hurting my female body development? I mean since I am not really putting on fat is it going to stunt my breast growth and hips/rear? I so don't want to have my belly grow but I really do want more female fat deposits to form to help my figure.

Any advice what to do?

Love and *hugs*

Mae

P.S. The diet I follow is a high fiber and high protein diet which lets me eat a lot of the foods I like. But it is so hard to stick to it when there are people all around you eating junk food. Plus, I don't know about the rest of you all, but god I do love dark chocolate and that is my worst vice.

I was literally skin and bones before hormones, and once on them I gained about 20 lbs. It did indeed go straight to the right areas, and I have a very defined waist. I also went up like five jean sizes, and can fill the butt too! A cis friend laughed at how I have to worry about weight and fitting clothes, etc. just like them (her "revenge" lol). But the shape I have is so worth it, and the fact of my weight number being higher really doesn't phase me. Fat also helps round the face - fat is good! My belly is definitely more spread out now as well. I notice other little things as a result, such as benches being more comfortable, being more aware of my thighs brushing together, etc. Also interesting to note is that my adam's apple went from prominent to practically invisible from the subcutaneous fat - when questioned, some of my friends didn't even know/realize!

I was literally skin and bones before hormones, and once on them I gained about 20 lbs. It did indeed go straight to the right areas, and I have a very defined waist. I also went up like five jean sizes, and can fill the butt too! A cis friend laughed at how I have to worry about weight and fitting clothes, etc. just like them (her "revenge" lol). But the shape I have is so worth it, and the fact of my weight number being higher really doesn't phase me. Fat also helps round the face - fat is good! My belly is definitely more spread out now as well. I notice other little things as a result, such as benches being more comfortable, being more aware of my thighs brushing together, etc. Also interesting to note is that my adam's apple went from prominent to practically invisible from the subcutaneous fat - when questioned, some of my friends didn't even know/realize!

Due to starting so late in life,my face though fuller,has not filled out like I had hoped it would.

But my adams apple,like yours,is about non existent.I wont have to worry about a trach shave.

And I love the shape of my body and the way my clothes hang on my frame.My bottom,thighs,

arms and breasts,scream,girl.Even though my face could use a little feminizing to completely

erase (him),I am the happiest I have ever been in my life.Yeppa I am.

Angie

Guest Elizabeth K

Well - I am STILL gonna be a big woman. The best I will ever do is 182 or so - I went down to 198 and all my friends BEGGED me to put on some weight - so I guess I looked bad. Of course most didn't know I was also transitioning.

I really aim at dress sizes. 20W is toooo big and 18W is usually okay - BUT I want to be at least in a 14. I am 6'1" so my weight is distributed in a longitudinal manner - BUT I am starting to see and feel a bit of horizontal distribution (Finally) - 14 months HRT - so it is do-able!

And my face worked out fine!

Lizzy

Guest Kaitlyn88
Heya everyone. Love this thread!

I had a few questions about this too.

I have been on a fairly strict diet for about 6 months now and have lost almost 50 pounds with it. My stomach went from having a bit of a male belly to now fairly flat (my stomach used to be my widest spot from armpits to hips and now it curves in pretty nicely). I have this dang patch of fat just below the belly button that will not go away no matter how hard I diet or exercise.

My question is, if I do gain weight it seems to keep wanting to go back to my belly. I thought we were supposed to loose from the male areas and put on in female?? I can definetly tell when I gain some added weight because I swear my belly will get a bigger.

Also, since I am so obsessed with my weight and watch what I eat combined with 20-30 minute workouts each day, am I hurting my female body development? I mean since I am not really putting on fat is it going to stunt my breast growth and hips/rear? I so don't want to have my belly grow but I really do want more female fat deposits to form to help my figure.

Any advice what to do?

Love and *hugs*

Mae

P.S. The diet I follow is a high fiber and high protein diet which lets me eat a lot of the foods I like. But it is so hard to stick to it when there are people all around you eating junk food. Plus, I don't know about the rest of you all, but god I do love dark chocolate and that is my worst vice.

Thats been my problem too. My belly was flat before hormones and I've put weight on there. I am afraid to gain more weight because I'll know it will get bigger. Although nobody would think of it as anything other then a girl's stomach. I guess girls just gain weight every where. Name a place and I've gained fat in the area.

Guest NatashaJade

I've been noticing my hips have been taking some shape. I had thought I could maybe go down to a size 14 pair of jeans, because the 16s I have had been really loose in the hips. Not anymore! Even though I have been losing weight, whenever I splurge, it goes straight to my hips and now I'm filling out the 16s. It's still my goal to lose another 10-12 pounds before my birthday next month (I'm trying to get below 250 before 40), so I know it will take a lot of extra exercise. I would like to get down below 200 eventually (at 6'2" with a large frame, I can't ask for much more) and still keep a girlish figure :D

luv

Gin