• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Shoulda Known I Was A Transguy When...

Guest SamIThinkIAm

Guest D.V. Faust

1. Wearing a button up baseball shirt unbuttoned and not understanding why the teacher made me button it up.

2. Make-up? Uhhh....why?

3. First day on the rag resulted in a trip to the nurse's office where a crying session ensued (back in Dec of 04, haven't full on cried since)

4. Some of the things I made Barbie do disturb even me (not as much a "shoulda known I was a transguy" thing as a "shoulda known something was off about me" thing)

5. Hated wearing dresses. Lucky for me, I only had to wear them on two separate occassions [in my memory; all other times are before age 4]

6. Pokemon, ftw!

7. Not sharing the apparent common fear of rats/mice that most of the girls I grew up with had

8. Playing baseball in the backyard rather than house

9. Loathing to roleplay as female characters and having only male fan characters (OCs)

10. Three words: Tae Kwon Do

11. "You don't need to tell me that you're going to the bathroom, just GO!....No, I won't go with you!"

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flint

• Sally

Guest BrandonIThink

1. Do I have to play Goldilocks?? Yeah I know she's the star, but she's a girl!

2. Oh my goodness do you mean I need a bra!? ....I'll never need one!!

3. What's that? ....Tampon, ok. Wait, IT GOES WHERE?!?! *hyperventilation*

4. All of my friends: "Omg a spider/mouse/ladybug(?!)! Somebody kill it!" *sighs and wanders over*

5. Mom: Ok, stop pulling apart the ants. Little me: But it's so much fun!!

6. 'Snake!!!!' *Friends run away while I dive into the grass trying to catch it....same with frogs lol*

7. "Yeah there's like ten of us gathering at my house four hours before grad so we can get ready! Want to come?" ....um, why, exactly?

8. Getting hit in the crotch, doubling over and falling to the ground before realizing it doesn't hurt.....huh?

9. Ok, why is it suddenly important to shave your legs? You went the first twelve years of your life without doing so. It's easier not to. Really. Think about it.

10. "Would you stop being such a slob and behave like a girl?" But I'm not a-!.... oh yeah.

11. Gran: 'Come on, young lady.' Little me autoresponse: I'm NOT a lady!

12. Positive elation the first time a stranger referred to me as a boy after I got my hair cut short. (Smiling just thinking about that :lol: )

Guest My_Genesis
All of my friends: "Omg a spider/mouse/ladybug(?!)! Somebody kill it!" *sighs and wanders over*

Mom: Ok, stop pulling apart the ants. Little me: But it's so much fun!!

'Snake!!!!' *Friends run away while I dive into the grass trying to catch it....same with frogs lol*

- I used to dig for earthworms in the playground with one of my male friends when we were little kids. :P

- I pet a snake at summer camp when I was 8, didn't even second guess myself. Just walked up and touched it. In fact I wanted to touch it b/c I didn't believe the guy when he said snakes aren't really slimy. lol.

- I also had a ladybug crawling around in my hand at summer camp and the counselors were like "omg put that down you could get an infection!" me :eyeroll:

Guest ChalenAustin

I can't add anything to this list it's so SPOT ON!

I did try to pee standing up once in a contest with three other boys (we were like 4) and it was the worst humiliating day of my life! The shame for having to sit down knowing I couldn't reach the bowel! So scared!

I always hated pregnant women.

If I had a friend who became pregnant I could not be friends with her even after the baby wa born.

Still am that way- I'm so twisted.

I now live in a household of women all ages.

Jesus, take me now!

How they figure and discuss things- I used to think I was mental- who knew it was just estrongen?

I can't add anything to this list it's so SPOT ON!

I did try to pee standing up once in a contest with three other boys (we were like 4) and it was the worst humiliating day of my life! The shame for having to sit down knowing I couldn't reach the bowel! So scared!

I always hated pregnant women.

If I had a friend who became pregnant I could not be friends with her even after the baby wa born.

Still am that way- I'm so twisted.

I now live in a household of women all ages.

Jesus, take me now!

How they figure and discuss things- I used to think I was mental- who knew it was just estrongen?

I have a similar problem with pregnant women...Well i dont' stop being their friends...I talk to them from a distance :P but i will not go near them, meet them face to face or anything like that. But for me thats more of fear of the baby itself than it is me actually hating the woman. Yes i know a fear of babies! :rolleyes: I guess it's not so bad if they're newborn and they can't speak yet, well apart from cry. But they can't ask me awkward questions, but as soon as anyone has a baby i know one day they'll get to that age where they will become inquisitive and i don't like it! :rolleyes::P Especially when you're not out to everyone yet and they come up to you at christmas time when you're all sat around a table eating christmas dinner "Are you a boy or a girl? You're a boy aren't you?" and all the family stare at you.....and just sit there with an awkward fake grin on your face trying to bare it!

Guest Larson

Reading everyone's responses has reminded me of even more, haha!

In a second grade Thanksgiving Play, after being cast, the teacher said we could trade roles with people if we both agreed. I had a gender neutral Native American role and traded with a guy to be Cpt. Standish. I didn't even realize there was something wrong with me playing a guy until my teacher pointed it out.

...I've since played five different guy roles in shows.

My dad fished and I always used to play with the worms or the smaller fish. His favorite story to tell is of me poking the fish's eyes out. Apparently, it was my favorite past time as a toddler.

I also had the "I'm not a lady!" response to any "young ladies shouldn't do that" reprimand.

Even though I was scared of bees and spiders, any time I encountered one at school or in front of friends (especially girls) I did my best to act totally cool and brave about it.

Ok, I'll admit it, I read fanfiction in early high school. I shoulda known I was a gay transguy when I got super turned on by slash pairings, but felt absolutely nothing from stories written with girls or from girl perspectives.

I'm loving this thread. Keep them coming guys!

Guest My_Genesis
Feel free to add your own---and although I'm posting it in the FTM forums--ladies and my non-binary gender friends feel free to switch it to make it suit you :)

1. "THIS IS SPARTA!!!' me *totally pumped up RAWWR!!!* vs. female friends---*yawn--this is sooo for boys*

300 is quite good. I'm sure some girls might even agree. :)

I actually got into it, which is not the case for a good amount of movies I see. lol.

Guest Larson
... when I got caught peeing in the mens room in kindergarten. :)

I always wore boys' super hero shoes and things of the sort in elementary school. One day during a class bathroom break, while I was in the stall, someone else in the class saw my shoes and shouted "THERE'S A BOY IN THE BATHROOM!" Then all the girls screamed and ran out. Pretty embarrassing at the time, but I loved my batman high tops too much to really care at the time.

6. I played with Barbie dolls as action figures. War, killing, decapitation, suffocating in mud pits, fake blood made from

markers, etc.

Heh, I did that too! I gave them tattoos and battle scars with markers, pretended they were fighting goblins and giant lizards...fun times.

Guest hayden_jude
Ok, I'll admit it, I read fanfiction in early high school. I shoulda known I was a gay transguy when I got super turned on by slash pairings, but felt absolutely nothing from stories written with girls or from girl perspectives.

Ha, I did that too!! I totally ignored anything from a girl's perspective. I still do it, in books and movies, etc. I get totally bored with the girls. :)

You know, it's weird, but I realized it makes me almost sick to say the word "panties" out loud. It's even difficult to type it.

When I was little, my sister and our friend would play Power Rangers, and I would always want to be one of the boys, but they would make me be a girl one.

Also, while all my friends idolized the highschool cheerleaders or twirlers in elementary, I wanted to be a football player.

Guest Larson
Ha, I did that too!! I totally ignored anything from a girl's perspective. I still do it, in books and movies, etc. I get totally bored with the girls. :)

You know, it's weird, but I realized it makes me almost sick to say the word "panties" out loud. It's even difficult to type it.

When I was little, my sister and our friend would play Power Rangers, and I would always want to be one of the boys, but they would make me be a girl one.

Also, while all my friends idolized the highschool cheerleaders or twirlers in elementary, I wanted to be a football player.

I CANNOT say the word "panties." Ugh. I hate it hate it hate it.

Guest Zabrak
I CANNOT say the word "panties." Ugh. I hate it hate it hate it.

Lmao panties.

Sorry, just dropped in because the word made me laugh...

Guest ChalenAustin

I think I have the feelings toward pregnant women that I do bc I want to reproduce but it would have to be that way if at all.

They can just go ahead and do that while for me I'd be fighting society and everyone and thing else imaginable to do it.

Still want to though, dear God.

Guest ChalenAustin

When I did gymnastic I was scared to death of the balance beam.

Not bc I didn't have balance but bc I was petrified that I was going to destroy my imagainary manhood if I ended up strattling the beam. Ooch!

Guest Adrian

... When I pretended to be a boy for several years

... When I felt physical ill by the act of keeping track of those "times" every month

... When I was met with looks of shock after answering that I would rather be a guy than sleep with one when I was directly asked

... When I tried to express the awesomeness of Pokemon and Fight Club with my female friends and got nothing but blank looks

... When people would ask "Are you a boy or a girl" and I wouldn't know how to answer

... By the fact that stories written from typically female perspectives very rarely evoke my empathy

... When I felt nothing but resentment at being referred to as a lesbian

... By the fact that I never felt attached to my name, and couldn't refer to myself as it

... When I'd start rough-and-tumble fights all the time in the middle of school

... When the phrase "That's not very lady-like of you" would instil instant dislike, on a good day

... When I realised that being the strongest of a group of girls just wasn't good enough

... When they tried to teach us all breast awareness and I felt like throwing up

... When I felt like dying when I was fitted for a bra

... When I point-blank refused to refer to my underwear as "knickers" (eqivilent; "panties")

... When having the idea of having anything going 'in' was repugnant

... When I thought "I am not getting a smear, even if the risk is potential cancer... Full stop."

... When I felt irrantional anger towards my mum whenever she bought me a typically female christmas or birthday gift

... When I hated my dolls and ditched them in favour of wrestlers and dinosaurs

... By the fact that I prefer the women I like to be straight

Among other things!

Yeah, there were a few signs, some more significant than others ;)

Guest Mr. Aliendust

Some answers are just hilarious, but totally truth! (me a lot)

I found a poem by Patti Smith that I like and fits this topic (even not totally):

female. feel male. Ever since I felt the need to

choose I'd choose male. I felt boy rythums when I

was in knee pants. So I stayed in pants.

I sobbed when I had to use the public ladies

room. My undergarments made me blush.

Every feminine gesture I affected from my mother

humiliated me.

I ran around with a pack of wolves. I puked on every

pinafore. Growing breasts was a nightmare. In agner

I cut off my hair and knelt glassy eyed before

god. I begged him to place me in my own barbaric race.

The male race. The race of my choice.

In answer he injected me with all the characteristics

of my gender. sultry. languid. wanton. dip into

summer skirts. go down with a narrow hipped boy

behind a bowling alley. bleed. come. fill my womb.

the misfit massacres the mustang pony just to feel

the soft rise of marilyn monroe against his chest.

bloated. pregnant. I crawl thru the sand. like a

lame dog. like a crab. pull my fat baby belly to

the sea. pure edge. pull my hair out by the roots.

roll and drag and claw like a pregnant dog. like a pregnant dog.

like a pregnant dog.

Guest My_Genesis
... When I pretended to be a boy for several years

... When I felt physical ill by the act of keeping track of those "times" every month

... When I was met with looks of shock after answering that I would rather be a guy than sleep with one when I was directly asked

... When people would ask "Are you a boy or a girl" and I wouldn't know how to answer

... By the fact that stories written from typically female perspectives very rarely evoke my empathy

... When I felt nothing but resentment at being referred to as a lesbian

... When I'd start rough-and-tumble fights all the time in the middle of school

... When the phrase "That's not very lady-like of you" would instil instant dislike, on a good day

... When I realised that being the strongest of a group of girls just wasn't good enough

... When they tried to teach us all breast awareness and I felt like throwing up

... When I felt like dying when I was fitted for a bra

... When having the idea of having anything going 'in' was repugnant

... By the fact that I prefer the women I like to be straight

All of the above!

Though the thing about id rather be a guy than sleep with one was more of a thought, not something I outwardly said, til much later.

Guest Nicodeme

When, as a 5-year-old, I asked my mom to buy me a pair of Batman slippers, and I wore them out of the store.

*kicks back with bubble pipe and looks back on that day*

That should've been a big hint.

And a few years ago, when I had to make an effort to behave like an actual woman...although, I was picking up on that, and saying, "Maybe I should just go back to being a Mr. Hedonist." (as "Mr. Hedonist" was my internet handle a while ago. Now it's mostly shortened to just "Hedo.") XD

I'm not as extreme a case as most of you guys here, so it kinda took going through puberty for me to really notice anything. I never really tried standing to pee, or anything like that...partly because I grew up in an 80% female household (myself included, physically) and never noticed that guys stood to pee...and by that point I didn't really care. It was too much effort on my part to really try. :P

Guest N. Jane

You guys are an absolute HOOT!

It is interesting reading "the view from the other side" - I quite enjoyed it - now I will get out of here before you realize there was a girl listening ;)

Girls? Where?!

*looks around in paranoia*

Quick, get the bleach! She might've left cooties in here! XD

If it had been me you wouldn't have to worry about cooties - I always leave cookies! :)

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Mytch

I have lots!! :P

- I've always considered my breasts sagging lumps of flesh. Nothing more than the flab on my stomach. Disgusting things... :(

- After puberty, I stood in front of the mirror and my first thought was: "Not only was I born a girl, but I have breasts that hideously sag in the "this is not normal, I look like an old woman. THANK YOU, MOTHER, FOR THE WONDERFUL GENETICS" way. Why couldn't I have at least been normal!?! ...wait, what do I mean, "at least"? *blankstare*"

- I literally refused to wear a bra until I was 13. "Only TEENAGE GIRLS wear bras!!" Then I hit 13 and realized I was a teenage girl. "Oh, crap." :angry:

- So I compromised and wore icky "training bras" for a year and a half which probably contributed to the sagging. *sigh* No support...

- I have a panic attack and almost cry every time my mom tries to get me fitted for bra sizes.

- Penis envy ever since my mom took me to swimming lessons and saw all the little boys running around naked in the locker room. "Why can't I have one of those?! *enviousglare*" Then I'd go home and obsessively draw them... :lol:

- I let a fellow kindergartener touch my privates so I could touch his. It was the happiest moment of my life, until it was his turn... I hated myself... I felt so LACKING...

- I went through a few weeks where I'd try to pee in various positions. I remember sitting on the toilet backwards, haha.. Standing over the toilet or facing it in some way always felt the most right...

- I've always been self-conscious of my voice. I wish it was deeper...

- ALWAYS befriended boys. Then we hit 5th grade and suddenly it wasn't cool to hang with girls anymore... :blink:

- I despised wearing dresses, skirts, and girly clothes. I always wanted a tuxedo or suit jacket...

- I used to walk veeeerrryyyy slowly past the Calvin Klein underwear in the mall. I wanted to run over and look through them and buy a pair but I was terrified of my mother's reaction. (Recently after coming out I was finally able to accomplish this, and she helped. *happytears*)

- For some reason, it was liking BOYS that made me feel all awkward and different, not my "same-sex" feelings for girls. In the past 3 years I went through sexual orientation phrases before the trans!conclusion where I thought I was bi at first, and then a lesbian... then liked a guy again... and decided "oh, whatever" and labeled myself as generally queer, hahaha...

- Always blurting out things like, "Well if I was a girl I'd- ...... wait what"

- Being mistakenly called "sir" at a restaurant was one of the most joyful moments ever!! :D

- I'm a huge fan of anime/manga and attend conventions where I cosplay. I've NEVER had the urge to cosplay a female character. It's always the guys. It's dressing up as a girl character that makes me feel like a crossplayer, not the male ones!!

- Hahaha THIS LIST WILL GO ON FOREVER, I'm stopping now!~