• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

My Reponse To The Hurting And Misconception

Guest Genie

Guest Genie

I have read many of the posts in the Christianity forum and I cried.

I cried because I've been in very similar situations. I know how mean people who proclaim themselves of the faith can be. One of the largest issues is that there are many Christians that are not reading the Bible (48% of Christians according to Alec Gallup organization). Christian individuals base their assumption off hearsay and not the foundation (the Bible). Christianity by definition “the religion derived from Jesus Christ, based on the Bible as sacred scripture” (Webster).

It hurts me to know that my loved ones are hurting or are being hurt by people that take up the name of “Christian” yet don't follow what Jesus said.

From what I have seen and read, there are believers that condemn others. In a large part, this psychologically damages/harms them (that would include me), making Christianity very unattractive or undesirable. Condemnation by another person is actually against the teachings of Jesus. For example, in Matthew 5:23-24, Jesus said “... if you are offering your gift at the alter and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the alter. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift”. The point of him saying this is because one of the most important aspects of life is relationships. God prefers unity and reconciliation with others before accepting gifts offered to him. He even says, “You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous” (Matthew 5:43-44), which conveys how radically he teaches to love others. To even further emphasized the point, Jesus commands his disciples to “... Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:34-35).

Let's not mention, we are the object of his affection! He wants people to come to him as they are. Personally, I have been rejected by many members of my family. I had a father that rejected me before birth and my mother expressed to me that she never loved me after “coming out” to her. What really gave me hope in those troublesome times of depression was Psalm 27:10 and Jeremiah 29:11. “Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me” (Psalm 27:10), which applied directly to my life. That verse was not enough for me though. I had an uncertainty of my future. The major that I was studying for was not something I enjoyed anymore. It felt like I wasted so much time, energy and suffered so much stress, but I realized God already knew what was going on. I was ignoring him, trying to do it my way. It is said, “...'I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future...” (Jeremiah 29:11), and so I trusted him.

I know in the United States, a person will never measure up to the culture's standards. The bar/standard is always moving up. You have to have more, bigger, or better things to feel of some worth, and it's never at a stand still! I've been there and it made me feel worthless, but I have a Father that takes holy pleasure in me (and all his children) when I do his will... no matter how big or small.

I apologize for the hurt others have caused.

I want y'all to know that I love and care about you and there's nothing you can do to change that!

I will now go hunt for some chocolate in my food closet!

Love,

Genie

• Admin

This is a wonderful post, Genie. Thank you so much.

You have a wonderful attitude, and a big heart. I am not a Christian, but I've read many portions of the Bible and studied it in college.

The fact is that religious texts throughout history have been subverted for whatever purpose someone needed it to serve.

When I hear supposedly religious people preaching hatred and fear and lies, it turns my stomach. I know it would turn Jesus' stomach too.

Not enough people follow his teachings; instead they follow the teachings of the clergy, who can and do twist things for their own purpose.

More people should read the words for themselves. Then maybe they will see the light as it was meant to be seen.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Elizabeth K

My goodness! So well said.

I won't apologize for others as I have little if any control over their actions, but when they stray fron GOD's intent, and from the teachings of Jesus, I have learned to ask God, " please let them see the error of their ways."

Today a spiritually lost soul will not be literally casting stones, but will be throwing condemnation toward others - others that have little or no fault. It seems to make them feel superior.

We transsexual are an abomination in the eyes of GOD, 'sayeth' my Born Again, Fundamintalist Christian (their definition of themselves) sisters! GRIN

"Father forgive them for they know not of what they do!" Jesus says when near his death.

I want to be accepted by GOD - and He says I am, that he created me like I am, and there is a purpose to this transsexuality of mine. He won't tell me what that purpose is, but I got the message - we aren't supposed to know our purpose.

But my sisters, like others, rely on the interpretaion of GOD's Will - by fools who set themselves up as the authorities. I replied to my sister's accusation by saying, "Am I supposed to listen to what GOD told me directly, or to what you were told by others is GOD's Will?"

They said, "How do you know it was GOD you talked with?" I said, "How do you know it was not?"

Lizzy

Dear Genie,

I absolutely love this topic!

It is an intelligent and well documented summation of my views about Christianity but it is unfortunately not the views of so many people who profess to be Christians.

It is one of the reasons that calling yourself a Christian is not as popular as it should be, if we lived our lives as Jesus the Christ taught us we would not have wars and persecution but as an organized religion we have been responsible for so much of that ourselves and now 'Christians' (those who call themselves by that name but do not follow his teachings) judge and hate all Muslims because they have attacked 'us'.

We sort of overlook the Spanish Inquisition and the Crusades from our past as an organized religion - I had no part in either of those and thought that they were horrible miscarriages of the intent of Christianity and I know that the vast majority of all Muslims believe that all of the killing and terrorist activities in the name of Allah are the same.

In a musical, "South Pacific" which was actually a study in prejudice and how stupid it is rather than a fun filled romp in the Islands there was a wonderful song sung by a Navy Lieutenant who had left his girlfriend because she was a native girl and not white, sung to a Frenchman who had just been rejected by a Navy Nurse because of his children who were half native, the song was called

And that is what has been happening from the beginning of time - Jesus was sent to us to teach us that this is not the way bit we chose not to listen and have continued to teach and even to preach hatred.

I am a Christian, I believe that God loves us all and while he will never condemn his children he must be very sad as he watches us constantly striving for better ways to kill each other.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest daphene

WOW WOW WOW, all I can say is Amen to the original post and all of the replys. I agree with all that has been said. Thank all of you. This just brightened my morning and makes me feel so much better about the way I feel.

Hugs to all of you,

Daphene

Guest Girl Emily

Genie,

Thank you for expressing God's love so clearly.

When I was in Kazakhstan on a short term mission trip while in college Jeremiah 29:11 was pointed out to me by one of the leaders after I expressed to him my doubts regarding my future. He and I were the only men on the two week trip with ten women and we were able to spend a lot of time together as we walked to and from an apartment that was a mile from where the girls were staying. I definitely got more out of the trip then I possibly could have given and he played a huge part in that as we discussed various subjects on those daily walks.

I was very blessed to have had such a personal trip with him. I later learned that it was his last because he fell victim to a fast moving cancer less then a year later, leaving behind a wife, and two young adult children. He brought to his position as the spiritual director of college a vision and energy that has touched countless lives around the world for Christ. His reading Jeremiah 29:11 brought assurance to me then and many times since that God has a plan for me that is personal and good and will bring me fulfillment.

Thank you for the reminder

Guest Genie

Thank you for all the replies. I appreciate your comments and insight!

I had no idea it would have such an impact like it did. I just wanted everyone to know the truth. It makes me really happy to see such unity among y'all (both Christians and those not yet in the faith). It really encourages me to share more!

The religious wars/persecutions like the Spanish Inquisition and the Crusades were actually done by members of Catholicism. For the majority of my life, I was lead to believe (by my educator and myself) that Christianity and Catholicism were related. They are very different, like night and day! I'll save that for another post another day! *excited*

I pray that you will safely get through another day, loved ones!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bailey

I am so glad I came and read this thread. I was raised Baptist and for most of my life, believed as most do that homosexuality and anything not heterosexual was an abomination. I happy to say that even before I realized what I truly felt, that I knew that this view was wrong. God would not condemn someone for trying to be who they really are. I have thought about it alot recently and have an analogy I would like to share and get an opinion on.

If you think about it, we were born with a defective body. We did not chose to feel this way. Our body just does not work the way it should from birth. If you read the Bible, it does not say, "if your body is broken live with it." Jesus did not tell the lame, "God gave you this body, accept it and move on." He healed the lame, the blind and the afflicted. He made them whole in body and mind. I hope that makes sense. It does to me.

Also, I can find no where in the Bible where it says, "If you lay with a same sex partner you will not go to Heaven." I read, "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." To my understanding and faith, "If you believe in me and take Christ as your saviour, you will join me in Heaven." That may not be a direct quote as I do not know the Bible as well as I should, though that is about to change. From reading these posts I have a renewed faith and interest in growing that feeling. Thank you all.

Bailey

Guest Genie
If you think about it, we were born with a defective body. We did not chose to feel this way. Our body just does not work the way it should from birth. If you read the Bible, it does not say, "if your body is broken live with it." Jesus did not tell the lame, "God gave you this body, accept it and move on." He healed the lame, the blind and the afflicted. He made them whole in body and mind. I hope that makes sense. It does to me.

Also, I can find no where in the Bible where it says, "If you lay with a same sex partner you will not go to Heaven." I read, "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." To my understanding and faith, "If you believe in me and take Christ as your saviour, you will join me in Heaven." That may not be a direct quote as I do not know the Bible as well as I should, though that is about to change. From reading these posts I have a renewed faith and interest in growing that feeling. Thank you all.

Bailey

There are many subjects you touch on, my love! Let's go through the bible to see what I can and will agree on~

We know that people are born with defects because of sin, but it always wasn't that way. In the beginning, after God created everything perfectly, he deemed it very good (Genesis 1:31). The only times in scripture God calls something good is if it adheres his holy standards. Upon the fall of man, sin entered the world and God cursed his creation with the penalty of death (Genesis 3:19; Romans 5:12; Romans 6:23). The destructive nature of sin on the environment had not fully corroded the original perfect creations by the time Adam and Eve has their children (Romans 8:20). This is why Cain was able to take a close relative (or sister) as a wife, after the death of his brother. However, roughly two thousand five hundred years later, because of the decaying effects of the curse, God gave Moses the law to forbid close relation marriage (Leviticus 18).

I would totally agree that because of the curse, God's creation decays, this includes our genetic make up. It is written that God is well aware of a defective God because he made it (Psalm 139:13-16).

As for the same sex topic, I entirely agree with the statement. No where in the bible will you find, "If you lay with a same sex partner you will not go to Heaven"; however, based on scripture it is sin just like all the other sins. Scripture tells us all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, because we do not adhere to his holy standard (1 John 1:8; Ecclesiastes 7:20). This is why God the Father sent his only son to die for the penalty of sin, in which who so ever believed in Jesus as their Savior and received it have the gift of salvation (John 1:12).

Once you have salvation, you can't get rid of it! It was a gift, you didn't get it by your own works, but by the work Jesus.

It makes me so happy that you have a renewed faith! There's just so many benefits you get from God! It's hard to pass up.

I hope this is of some use to you, loved one~

/superhug (and slips some yummy chocolate chip cookies into your pocket)

Love,

Genie

• 10 months later...
Guest ametur_poet

I feel a great deal of sadness, inspiration, and indignation when I read the topics on this board. It is terrible to see Christianity being abused in such a heinous manner. Using it as a tool of hate is positively sickening; Jesus explicitly taught us to love and accept all people, regardless of condition. These people that use Christianity as a moral pedestal to spread their own beliefs do not represent Christianity. The Christianity that I know and have always believed in would never turn away a person from the Church, especially for something that the person has no control over. I pray to God for the power to help change the Church, and end the senseless hate that is being perpetuated by these people. I want to some day be able to proudly declare that my religion does not deny salvation to any person who is willing to accept Jesus Christ. It will be a very difficult change, but with work, it can be achieved.

Guest April63

I want to some day be able to proudly declare that my religion does not deny salvation to any person who is willing to accept Jesus Christ. It will be a very difficult change, but with work, it can be achieved.

My religion doesn't. Your religion doesn't either. As you said, the gospel (which means good news) is about the love that God has for each of us. It is about the fact that He sent His Son (who willingly, out of love, paid the price of our sins). This is indeed good news, and this is our religion. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

The misconception lies with some churches. Not all of them. Churches are not bad. There is nothing wrong with a church. The problem occurs when the church loses contact with the religion and becomes an interpretation of scripture. At that point, a pastor can interpret a passage in any way that may not even remotely resemble the religion that it is supposed to be a part of. And this is what leads to turning people away. This is what is not right.