• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What's Your Girl Style?

Guest ricka

Guest Lani

At least from the pics in the photo gallery there seems to be quite a wide range of looks and styles for us MtFs. I was thinking about my own style and where that comes from. First of all I am a mature woman (from the generation where a woman _never_ tells her age, LOL!!!) Anyway as a kid I loved the glamorous women in the classic movies from the 1930s up through maybe the early 60s. Anyone remember Merle Oberon or Norma Shearer??? Do you remember their jewelry and silken gowns? Well add to that the fact that my mother was a runway model. She ended up buying the evening gown for herself she modeled once and that gown is still in her closet today, along with the rhinestone necklace and earrings----something of the class you might see women wear on Oscar Night!! I love glamour and bling. For me the last of the fabulous fashion role models were Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn ("Breakfast at Tiffany's") They were classy women, all! I so love that high class-look!!

On the other hand I have a dear friend I shop with whose style is soooo different. She is younger and she is tall and willowy and her style is definitely the 70s mod style. I help her with her hair and make-up remembering her style is very different than mine.

Hugs, Ricka

I have a "unboxable" style.....

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tracy_j

• -Kandy

• Sally

• Forum Moderator

When I go that far my ideal girl style has to include a pretty patterned miniskirt (mid thigh), tights and a suitable top (long sleeved roll/polo neck if cool to cami if warm).

My more usual androgyne look is not too dissimilar but with Jeggings or Jeans and a plain skirt (upper thigh length - or more usually longline vest or dress with a top to breakup the line)

Footwear to suit

Tracy

Guest Roberta-Belinda

Reading this post has made me realise that I like a variety of styles. When I started crossdressing as a twelve year old in 1972, I longed to look like the young Women of the day who wore hot pants mini skirts and go go boots. As I would never had the courage to buy my own clothes as teenager it never happened. I will never forget reading the New Musical Express Christmas annual for 1972. My attention was drawn to the photo of the lead singer from the pop group Middle Of The Road. I so wanted to model myself on her. Fast forward to the 80's and I longed to wear all the skirts and black patent high heels that the girls in my office wore in the 80's. Had I fortunate to be born a girl that is exactly how I would have dressed.

Between 1986 and 1992, I mostly tried to supress my crossdressing. Could not have been a worse time for me. It was the time when the mini skirt came in. Once again I got envious again seeing young girls out in the town in their mini skirts and black tights. I started wearing mini skirts in my early thirties with mostly good results. When I got to my forties I stopped wearing short skirts and wore more age appropriate clothes.

Nowadays, I like a variety of looks. When I am dressed as Belinda I like to look like a glam middle aged diva who sings torch ballads. I also like fashions from 40's films I like the sort of clothes that Lauren Bacall wore in Bogart films. I haven't experimented with these styles but I would love to try with a pair of black stockings with seams.

I love looking at online fashions for Women over 50. The styles are so glam and not a bit frumpy. Had I more money at my disposal I would love to buy from these online stores.

My style of clothing has evolved, as my life has evolved. Finding myself in a job where a dress code is mandated, I felt constricted by the slacks and skirts of business wear. But, I live in dresses!

That has spilled over to my every-day wear as well as work. Sundresses, sporty short dresses, and those dignified long dresses - That's my girl-style for now!

Of course, we're approaching fall, our summer is so short. I'll make concessions to warmer clothing soon: I'll have to find that look with dresses, boots and leggings!

Love, Megan

Guest Jamie_cd

My style is mostly very casual and "plain jane" although everyone seems to say I've got a rock or punk look going. Being tall, I stay away from heels (not that I would ever leave the house in a pair anyway) and enjoy wearing gym shoes. I've found that converse Chuck Taylor's are probably my favorite. Destroyed jeans and band tee shirts work well for me. Which oddly enough is exactly what I'm wearing right now lol! I can't see myself being into dresses or anything flashy because that style doesn't fit my personality very well.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kaitlyn85

I'm at a polytech institute, and so my wardrobe is the same as most of the other girls I interact with here: t-shirts and jeans/shorts, maybe with the occaisional other outfit for variety. Preferably nerdy t-shirts (seriously, I see at least 10 doctor who t shirts per day lol).

I also tend to wear a fair amount of sweatshirts (although not so much this time of year) since they both help conceal my waist as well as my crappy tan lines (total farmer's tan... ugh).

• Forum Moderator

I usually wear a short sleeved women's T in any of a number of pastel colors and a jean skirt that fall slightly below the knee and a pair of slight 1 1/2" heels. If i'm out side working the farm i wear some rubber clogs but generally the same uppers. Going out to an art gallery for an opening i generally wear a long skirt and try to pick up the colors in whatever blouse i can match. Shoes at that point are mostly the same. I just don't like wearing heals when i'll be standing for several hours and many galleries have concrete floors. Ouch, bring this old girl a chair.

Like Kaitlyn i suffer from a farmers tan, but then again that's my life as well.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ericajordan

I like hippy chick things with lots of colors!! And don't forget a floppy hat and sandals! hehehe. I ask gg's to donation (like to Good Will only better) so I can try out different styles.

• 2 months later...
Guest Sarah23510

Well as much as I would love to have the looks of a cute 20-something, I try to match the style of the 50-something girl I wish I was all the time. I do love the more feminine things...colors, lace...am partial to skirts over pants (though wear pants quite a bit). I haven't (but would love to) wear formal and dressy gowns and dresses...the girlier the better. Love heels, even sexy high heels though don't have any, settle for small heeled pumps and flats these days. I struggle with hairstyle...what I love is not really what the 50 year old woman has for the most part, so as I search for a new hairstyle (i.e. wig) I'll probably end up with a shorter and more "mature" look. Basically, I just like the "normal woman" look, tending to girly.

Since I'm on permanent disability I don't reallyhave any reasons to be dressing up. So I wear the confy stuff. Yoga pants, yoga style sweat pants and t-shirts. I'm also a bike commuter so I like tights under some capri style pants for riding some where in the cooler weather. I am all about being sonfy these days.

• Forum Moderator

Now the colder weather is here I have changed style just a little. Out with the knitted dresses worn with thicker leggings tucked into winter socks turned over such that they just cover the bottom of the leggings. The dresses are baggier than my summer wear so I can choose from a selection of undergarments often layered to make me feel really cosy and warm!

Yes CarlaMichelle I do like the comfy stuff. When I talk to women generally most of them prefer comfort too!

Tracy

Guest CindyLouCovington

Growing up in the 1950's, I prefer the styles of that period, and also of the 30's and 40's . I love to watch those old movies to see the gorgeous clothes the women wore in them, just like Ricka who made the first post.I love knee length dresses and skirts for day wear, never cared for the maxi look. LOve the beautiful "shirt dress" of the 1950's, with its lovely full skirt and belted waist. But I also like some of the 60's items,like boots and thick tights(wish body suits would come back!). I do wear leggings a lot since I do a lot of walking. And with short dresses.

Guest LizMarie

If I know I'll be home for the day, I tend towards super casual - jeans, a nice casual blouse and that's about it a large part of the time.

But if I plan to go out, my friends have told me I'm "elegant casual". I have 4 different black skirts now (black skirts can build any sort of outfit). Two of them are nice clingy tube skirts. A third is a clingy polyester, and the fourth is a bit more business formal. Those four skirts are my "go to" basis for most public outfits or I wear a dress. I prefer my skirts and dresses right about knee height, though two of my girl friends urge me to go higher! :P And I tend to like tighter blouses that show off my figure. I picked up a recent button-up-the-back black sweater that is gorgeous, and another nicely shaped one that is grey with white and black highlights in it. I have several other short sleeve blouses in blue, purple, blue and white stripes, a polyester blue-green-yellow-white blouse that I love, etc. I have several sun dresses but am not crazy about how I look in a sun dress. I have 4 more business casual office dresses that I love and rotate through as well.

So out and about for me is dresses or skirts and blouses. At home I bum around in jeans and a casual blouse of some sort. And given that this is Houston, almost all of my blouses are short sleeved and I simply turn to sweaters around the house or office when it's colder.

Guest LizMarie

As a general remark (not to anyone specifically), I know that jeans are widely worn and I wear them myself, but our body proportions may never perfectly reflect feminine perfection and I think that jeans highlight these things rather than obscure them.

In my experience, particularly over the last six months, almost full time now full time a month and a half, I look back and almost every time I was clocked I was wearing jeans.

This is just a personal observation, but if you find yourself struggling to pass a bit and you do wear jeans a lot, explore skirts and dresses as an alternative.

• Forum Moderator

I would agree LizMarie that jeans, especially the skinny variety, do highlight body shape. Average fit jeans are worn by both men and women so are perhaps fairly neutral.

That said I do wear them (skinny jeans / jeggings), but tend to wear a short dress or skirt over the top like many women. This disguises things somewhat and even when out and about nominally male I have often been mis-gendered.

I find that womens jeans fit me better than mens although I am generally referring to the elasticised conforming skinny jeans.

Tracy

• 4 months later...

I like to wear a sun dress of mini-skirt length and pretty sandals when the weather is nice. I have a bikini for soaking up the sun as well. If the weather is too cool, I wear a pair of soft sweat pants, and short sleeved top covered by a cashmere sweater to keep off the chill. At work I usually wear a skort (mini-skirt length), a pair of colorful athletic shoes, a short sleeved top, and over it a Napa Valley Bike Tours logo outershirt. I also have longer skirts for other occasions. I never wear jeans or boots of any kind. As the weather gets warmer, I need more sun dresses, I really like wearing them.

hugs,

Stephanie

Guest Razilee

I wear pants like most cis women nowdays, and like my silk suit best, but I prefer dresses and skirts, both long and short, heels. I like my fluffy pink bathrobe inside. I don't know if I have a style, but I wear what I feel like. With sping here finally I think I feel like more color.

{{HUGS}} Raz

• Forum Moderator

I have found that I am liking tunic tops more and more!

My style is steadily getting more feminine as well. Yesterday I bought a new, thinner, tunic top for summer. Instead of the fairly plain tunics I have been wearing this one has colour and striking pattern. I did wonder a little, but when I later tried it on at home I liked what I saw. It will go well with black (or dark blue) tights or leggings.

Tracy

My typical style is similar to my oldest sister, so kind of a trendy, stylish mom look. Fairly simple and casual but still stylish. I also absolutely adore tights and am always excited for the cooler months when I get to wear them.

Kate