• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Effect Of Hormones On Penis Function

Guest Isabel Archer

Guest Isabel Archer

Hello,

After 12 years or so of dysphoria, I've finally decided to face my gender issues, and am considering transition, including hormones, which I think is my best chance for happiness. However, my sexual desires do not match my gender; although I would like to be seen as a woman instead of a man, I still want to use my penis for sex. Almost everything I've read about hormone therapy says that it nearly eliminates the ability to have an erection. Has anyone here been able to continue using their penis after starting hormones? I've also read that hormones can have an affect on sexual desires or even sexual orientation. What kinds of experiences have you had?

• Root Admin

Although it's not etched in stone, the rule of thumb is that by the 6 month mark, you will be pretty much impotent and your genitals will begin to atrophy. You probably didn't want to hear that but that's what happens. Sexual desires may or may not remain the same and many have stated that their sexual orientation did indeed change.

MaryEllen

Guest Donna Jean

What Mary Ellen has said is pretty much my experience....

I'm 16 months HRT and everything is shut down...and with major shrinkage of the penis and testicles...

Sexual orientation.....I still prefer women....

But, I've become more open to the idea of men as per sex....

If I had SRS, I'd probably be interested in trying out the new equipment, although I'd rather be romantically linked with a Cis or Trans woman....

My therapist told me that if after some time on HRT you find that you desire men, you probably repressed that desire in your male self, anyway...

Although you may deny that...it's probaby left over homophobia...

There is a lot to consider before taking that giant step!

Donna Jean

Guest Jewel
Hello,

After 12 years or so of dysphoria, I've finally decided to face my gender issues, and am considering transition, including hormones, which I think is my best chance for happiness. However, my sexual desires do not match my gender; although I would like to be seen as a woman instead of a man, I still want to use my penis for sex. Almost everything I've read about hormone therapy says that it nearly eliminates the ability to have an erection. Has anyone here been able to continue using their penis after starting hormones? I've also read that hormones can have an affect on sexual desires or even sexual orientation. What kinds of experiences have you had?

Many trans women prefer to keep their "original equipment" down there, and are able to continue using it for sex indefinitely. The typical doses of estrogen and anti-androgens taken as part of transitioning will, however, make the plumbing, both physical and mental, work differently. Your overall libido most likely will decrease dramatically. Many find this a real boon - as you still get aroused, you just aren't quite as driven by it as before. Others find that they become nearly asexual. Erections usually become much less firm, but are still possible for many, if not most. Many find that sexual pleasure is the same or better and that orgasms are still easy to achieve, though not quite as much a "given" as before, as they revolve around more than just genital contact. However, if you desire to have penetrative sex using your penis, the lack of firmness in erections may be a problem. Some are able to remedy this by balancing their hormone regimen. Others are not.

Now, the "6 month rule" that MaryEllen mentions, I have never heard. It's certainly not the case for me. And it is partly a myth that your genitals shrink under HRT. Your testicles may become a bit smaller (volume may be reduced by about 50%) and adopt a soft, spongy texture. And as a result, after many years, your scrotal sac may shrink slightly, though this isn't always the case. But your penis will remain the same size. Lack of firm erections will certainly make it seem smaller, since usually such things are measured when construct, but it's really still the same size, and indeed, if you go off hormones long enough and are able to regain firm erections, the measured size should be essentially the same as before HRT.

After a year or more you'll probably find that when you orgasm, no ejaculate comes out, other than perhaps a drop of clear prostatic fluid. However do not rely on this for birth control - unless you have an orchiectomy, it is still possible to produce a small amount of sperm and thus get a partner pregnant.

Sexual orientation can change. It's not the rule, but it happens often enough. I was pretty evenly bisexual before transitioning. These days I've found myself still attracted to men, but less so, while my attraction to women has stayed the same or increased. Others see changes in the other direction. I think a big part of it is not the hormones, but accepting yourself and learning what you really like, as for many of us, we spent so many years in denial, presenting a facade, that when we start becoming ourselves, we're not entirely sure who those "selves" are! And I agree with what Donna Jean (and her therapist) said - in many cases the "changes" are just repressed desires.

However one "6 month" rule of thumb that is a potential concern is that by that point you may very well become permanently sterile. Younger, healthier persons who are fertile pre-HRT can often regain fertility after stopping HRT for many months, even if they've been on HRT for years, but there are no guarantees. If you want to have the option of having your own biological children in the future, you may wish to look into sperm banking before starting hormones.

Guest Isabel Archer

Thanks for your help, everyone. I've also read somewhere that it isn't possible to take HRT indefinitely; that eventually you either have to stop or have either an orchiectomy or SRS. Is this true? How long can you do it before you have to stop?

Guest Jewel

You normally continue with HRT after orchiectomy or vaginoplasty. Otherwise you run the risk of many health problems, including osteoporosis. However, you do stop taking the anti-androgens afterwards.

For some people, long term use of certain anti-androgens, due to other effects, can potentially cause health problems. But for most it's not a problem. There are many trans women who are non-op and continue to take anti-androgens for decades.

In any case, as long as your doctor continues to regularly monitor your health for the known problems associated with HRT, you'll be fine. In the event that your current anti-androgens start giving you problems, your doctor can try switching you to alternatives.

Guest NotClaire

Before starting hormones I had a "crush" on one of my girl friends... But i largely considered myself asexual.

After starting, though, ive become a bit boy crazy :) my therapist said it's usually because we can't see ourselves with men as men... So as we start to transition, we allow our repressed feelings spring to life.

Guest sarah f

Let me tell you after only 2 1/2 months that I have trouble with anything down there. I am actually happy about that. You really need to think hard and long about this before you make that decision because it will effect you for the rest of your life. Not only losing your identity down there you will experience breast growth pretty soon after starting and that doesn't go away. Good Luck on your decision.

Love,

Sarah F

Guest Emily_MI

I am about a month so far on HRT and I noticed that and that I have some major shrinkage of the penis and testicles (yay!!!) Also it is harder for me to get erections (again yay!!!) so I really liking the changes so far.

Guest Jo-I-Dunno

Let me tell you after only 2 1/2 months that I have trouble with anything down there. I am actually happy about that. You really need to think hard and long about this before you make that decision because it will effect you for the rest of your life. Not only losing your identity down there you will experience breast growth pretty soon after starting and that doesn't go away. Good Luck on your decision.

Love,

Sarah F

I am about a month so far on HRT and I noticed that and that I have some major shrinkage of the penis and testicles (yay!!!) Also it is harder for me to get erections (again yay!!!) so I really liking the changes so far.

I'm about 2.75 months in. While I'm not sexually active, I've always had a heavy auto-erotic "routine" if you will. And apparently my testosterone has always been low anyway, so I don't know; maybe my body's just wired to be sexual without it. So far, I still get morning and random erections, as well as what's expected from adult content. However, they don't last as long and its slightly more difficult to reach orgasm. But if/when I do, it's just as satisfying. and thankfully, there's rarely any ejaculate.

I imagine it also has to do with what kinds of things turn you on. For me, it's more thought-based than image or physically based, so maybe that helps me too. I've heard stories all across the board, from near-immediate total loss of function to simply never losing anything.

Age probably matters too (I'm only 18). It's nice that I've more-or-less kept what I have, but I'd be fine if I lost it. You're obviously concerned, so be careful.