• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Bicentennial Man

Guest miss kindheart

Guest miss kindheart

Sometimes it is hard for me to explain to people why I need to physically be a Woman.

I recently saw a wonderful movie that went a long way to describing many of the feelings that I have. It's name was Bicentennial Man staring Robin Williams. It truly touched my heart, and yes I cried quite a bit.

It was about a robot that gained conciseness and decided that it wanted and needed to be, and to be accepted, as a human. All through out the movie the robot transformed himself and with each step of his transition became more human. Humanity would not accept him because he was virtually immortal, so then he arranged for an aging process and eventually death, And finally after living for two hundred years he died and was accepted by all.

Well as I watched, so very many of the feelings were the same as mine. Wanting nothing more in life than to be, and to be accepted as a Woman.

It was truly a lovely movie.

with love from,

:wub: vanna

Yeah that movie made me bawwwww. At the end. Omg so many tears. Also yeah it did hit home about all the trans thing with me. Why does Robin Williams have to make me cry, he did it in Patch Adams too!

Guest OneSmallStep

How funny, my girl and I actually just watched that the other day. I had seen it years ago, she had never seen it. I definitely know what you mean about how it feels to very much like what we have to go through to be who we know we are meant to be. Great movie!

• Admin

Vanna, I've seen the movie several times, all of them prior to admitting to myself that I'm trans, and you are so right, the similarities between Andrew's story and those of a trans person are really striking. Perhaps that is one reason that I enjoyed the movie so much, and why it moves me as it does. Of course, I read the short story years ago, and maybe even then there was that inherent truth to the tale that I identified with on more than one level. Anyway, it is a great story, and an excellent movie. Thanks

Carolyn Marie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RachaelAnn

Bicentennial Man has a power. It can bring a tear to even the most hardened person out there. It was one of Robin's best roles in my opinion. I have a wacky idea. For those that are trying to get across being transgendered, and what it means to us, maybe we could have the ones who don't understand, and the pig-headed ones that don't want to understand watch Bicentennial Man. Maybe then they will be more understanding, because it's basically the same story.

Rachael

• 2 weeks later...
Guest miss kindheart

Bicentennial Man has a power. It can bring a tear to even the most hardened person out there. It was one of Robin's best roles in my opinion. I have a wacky idea. For those that are trying to get across being transgendered, and what it means to us, maybe we could have the ones who don't understand, and the pig-headed ones that don't want to understand watch Bicentennial Man. Maybe then they will be more understanding, because it's basically the same story.

Rachael

I watched it with my Wife and Daughter, and they both gave me that look, and I knew that they understood :blink: "everything" :D

Guest Donna Jean

Beautiful movie and beautifully acted by Robin.....

It's the perfect film that shows our struggle to be ourselves without using any Trans people ...

Maybe it would strike a chord with folks ...

Remember back in school when they tell you about definations and how you don't define a word while using that word?

This is the same thing...telling our story while not using a single Trans person....

Nice....

Donna Jean

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

I watched it again tonight with my wife, and of course laughed and cried again in all the right places.

One scene that struck a chord this time around, now that I know so many transmen, is the scene in Martin's house where he is talking

to Rupert, the roboticist. Rupert is telling Martin about how he just invented a way to give Martin full male functionality and

sensation. Martin describes all the things he has read and learned about what making love is all about.

I do believe that someday science will give our transmen brothers that which they seek. I hope the movie inspires that to come about.

Carolyn Marie

Guest miss kindheart

I watched it again tonight with my wife, and of course laughed and cried again in all the right places.

One scene that struck a chord this time around, now that I know so many transmen, is the scene in Martin's house where he is talking

to Rupert, the roboticist. Rupert is telling Martin about how he just invented a way to give Martin full male functionality and

sensation. Martin describes all the things he has read and learned about what making love is all about.

I do believe that someday science will give our transmen brothers that which they seek. I hope the movie inspires that to come about.

Carolyn Marie

I too desire to watch it again ^_^

Like with so many movies you see things the 2nd time that you missed the first time around :huh:

As I recall he did a transition of most every part of his body B)

However he always remained himself inside :)

We can sometimes change that which we are, but we need to accept and be who we are :ph34r:

Be happy being You :wub:

Definitely a film that can get across how it's what a person feels that is more important than how society perceives them. I mean, he was willing to give up 'immortality' to become who he knew he was. You don't get to show much more dedication to your identity than that. :P

I also like the parallel with his legal struggle to be recognised as who he was. Hard to believe that the creators didn't have the LGBT community in mind with this film! :)