• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Khaaaaannnn!

Guest Brendan

Guest Brendan

I'm noticing a large number of Trekkies on this board... And I just wanted to say, right on!

More specifically though, I've noticed that a lot of people have Spock as their picture. Which further leads me to the belief that I'm amongst the coolest people ever. So I just had to give credit where credit was due and acknowledge the awesomeness that abounds on this forum.

So yeah.

Live long and prosper.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJ

• Carolyn Marie

Guest sarah f

I have to agree with you.

Now this will get everyone. Which series is better? Star Trek, Star Trek Next Generation or Deep Space Nine. What about Captain Kirk vs Captain Picard? Now that should start something.

Guest nelo

Great topic. I have also noticed fellow trekkies upon my arrival here. Lemme see... I like Star Trek: TOS and TNG, and the new movie, and I haven't watched the others so I can't say either way.

I think Q is one of my favorites, but I have a lot of favorites.

Guest Zolrek

Actually, I have the Romulan Senator Vreenak as my avatar.

I'm a Niner so clearly I'm going to say Deep Space Nine > all the others.

• Forum Moderator

I'm one of the minority that prefers DS9

And I like the old Star Trek better than TNG although they were so budget handicappd they did so muxh that had never been done before plus the relationship between Spock, Kirk and Bones was something none of the other series ever really achieved.

Hated the cartoon-and at one time had every one of the books

Live Long and Prosper

JJ

Guest Brendan

Thank you Zolrek for clarifying that. I knew it wasn't Spock but for the life of me I couldn't place who it was. Though I am a new addict, so that's probably my problem. My vote is for Next Generation simply because that is what I got addicted on and haven't branched out much from there yet... My vote will change eventually I'm sure, but for now I'm watching what my boyfriend watches and that is largely TNG...

As for Captains, definitely Kirk,

Guest nelo

My mom's BF likes DS9. I just haven't had to chance to see it. Sort of want too... I like Worf and O'Brien from TNG, and they're in DS9, right?

Guest Zolrek

Thank you Zolrek for clarifying that. I knew it wasn't Spock but for the life of me I couldn't place who it was. Though I am a new addict, so that's probably my problem. My vote is for Next Generation simply because that is what I got addicted on and haven't branched out much from there yet... My vote will change eventually I'm sure, but for now I'm watching what my boyfriend watches and that is largely TNG...

As for Captains, definitely Kirk,

Everyone starts out somewhere. I started with Voyager - the Star Trek with the female captain. I loved her so much...one of the best Trek's out there. Sadly, most Trekkie males bash it because they feel threatened by the female captain. They want to show off their manliness so they make fun of the series.

Anyway, I'm a huge nerd and I will debate a lot of the Treknology with someone if they want. Ship designs, warp drives, UT(universal translator) transporters and all the like.

My mom's BF likes DS9. I just haven't had to chance to see it. Sort of want too... I like Worf and O'Brien from TNG, and they're in DS9, right?

Yeah, Worf ends up dating one of the most beautiful, strong and amazing women in Star Trek; Jadzia Dax. And O'Brien stays on DS9 with his wife and daughter, although his wife did not suit the character she played. She is in no way a military wife. O'Brien and the doctor episodes are actually some of my favorites, though.

Guest MemoryAlpha

Words cannot describe how much I love DS9 and TNG.

I'm just throwing this out there - Jadzia Dax is hot.

And Q is amaaaaazing.

Personally, I like DS9 just a little bit more because it documents a war from many different viewpoints. The series needs to be watched in order. People's actions have consequences and they don't always make the "right choice", so to speak.

I am also one of those geeky people who writes essays about morality lessons from Star Trek, so if anyone is ever in need of that, PLEASE talk to me. I love talking about Star Trek.

Guest Zolrek
People's actions have consequences

That's what DS9 excels at. Because DS9 is set on a station(although there was the Defiant) all the actions taken there by the locals, Federation and caption had consequences that they needed to face. It's unlike the Star Treks that only take place on the ships, because the ships can leave the area each time - the station cannot. The multiple views on the war was a huge bonus and wasn't just black and white; evil and good. Lines were blurred and opinions on both side made sense. This is why Garak was my favorite character of all time. He was in the middle of both sides and that added so much more to him.

Guest MemoryAlpha
Lines were blurred and opinions on both side made sense. This is why Garak was my favorite character of all time. He was in the middle of both sides and that added so much more to him.

Yes, the morally grey was something that I haven't seen demonstrated well in Star Trek before DS9. Garak was puzzling to say the least because his wants as a character didn't always make sense to him. He had to reconcile with being a Cardassian in exile, and a lot of people judged him before they actually met him. In general, all the characters inhabited this sort of counter culture because they lived in such a blended environment. Humans, Ferengi, Trill, Bajorans, Cardassians, and so on....

I also identity a bit with Odo, as he is on a journey to discover who he is. It's kind of like being transgender.

Guest Zolrek

Odo was someone I could understand, but I am past finding myself so I connected more with Garak. I feel like a outcast sometimes and like people judge me before they get to know me. I just clicked with him and I'm going to get a photo/autograph with his actor in a few months - its worth the money. :blush:

Guest Evan_J

<<Can never claim to be a Trekkie.

BUT If I hadda pick I would pick the original Star Trek. As was mentioned , the friendships were awesome. (hadda love every time Bones said "Jim!-") . Second favorite was next generation. Favorite characters there were Data, Q, and NumberOne just for being called NumberOne. Picard was a cool captain. But still say Kirk was my favorite (far as I know he's the only one who had both alien AND earth babes lol ).

And in defense of the male species, maybe they just didn't like the female captain cuz they they couldn't relate to a female.I know for me, I like a character more if I either relate or admire them.

Guest Zolrek

<<Can never claim to be a Trekkie.

BUT If I hadda pick I would pick the original Star Trek. As was mentioned , the friendships were awesome. (hadda love every time Bones said "Jim!-") . Second favorite was next generation. Favorite characters there were Data, Q, and NumberOne just for being called NumberOne. Picard was a cool captain. But still say Kirk was my favorite (far as I know he's the only one who had both alien AND earth babes lol ).

And in defense of the male species, maybe they just didn't like the female captain cuz they they couldn't relate to a female.I know for me, I like a character more if I either relate or admire them.

Nah, ever been on a Trekkie forum? A lot of guys will come around to like it AFTER they watch it. It's mostly before they even watched a single episode that they feel the need to bash it. Lots will free willingly admit this after the fact.

Guest harvester52

Kirk and TOS for me.

However, I enjoyed Voyager, and loved the older movies with William Shatner. My favorite one was the first with V-ger the sentient space probe that merges with Lt. Decker. I cried at that part. XD

-BC

Guest Evan_J

Nah, ever been on a Trekkie forum? A lot of guys will come around to like it AFTER they watch it. It's mostly before they even watched a single episode that they feel the need to bash it. Lots will free willingly admit this after the fact.

:( But I've seen it before. Just couldn't get into her.
Guest Zolrek

:( But I've seen it before. Just couldn't get into her.

Yeah, some can't but some people just don't like certain captains. I hated captain Archer with a passion. I don't even consider Star Trek: Enterprise as a extension of Star Trek because of the very little character development. All Captain Archer did was have mood swings more quickly and more often then most women ever could and that's basically how he handled ever single conflict throughout the entire show. A lot of people picked up on it and I'm guessing that's one of the reasons why they lost so many viewers. Which in the end added to the reason that got Star Trek: Enterprise canceled... Enterprise was the first Star Trek to be canceled since Star Trek: The Original Series. You gotta admit, that's pretty bad. Voyager made it through lots of seasons and got good ratings from both genders who followed the plot from the start.

Guest Zolrek

By the way...anyone can ask me any question about any Star Trek episode. I've watched every single episode of every single series rather then the animated one. More then once.

Guest Sam_P

I had been noticing the fellow trekkies too, 'tis awesome. :D

As for the captain question... Kirk because he gets to actually go on his own away missions, and he has his own personal Spock. Though ask me on another day and I'll probably say Picard, because he has a severe case of the smarts and that gets TNG some really awesome storylines.

I never got into DS9 because I couldn't get past the fact that the space station didn't move. People's points that DS9 gets to deal with a more long-term consequence-handling story has made me intrigued though so I'm probably off to go start watching. :P From most of what I've seen of random DS9 episodes, I only remember Odo. He seemed like such a unique character, and I've always been a bit intrigued by shapeshifters (probably a trans related thing, anyone else?).

I think it's cool that they didn't keep the situations the same for each series - like how Voyager was more of a close-knit family due to being stranded, and the fact that they could pick up unorthodox crew members (Maquis, Borg, Nelix etc.).

The multiple views on the war was a huge bonus and wasn't just black and white; evil and good. Lines were blurred and opinions on both side made sense. This is why Garak was my favorite character of all time. He was in the middle of both sides and that added so much more to him.

I find that 'grey' characters and situations are always the most interesting, because you can't sit there and root for one outcome, you actually get to have some interesting thinking going on. The episode with the isolated Borg drone Hugh ("I, Borg", TNG) was a killer, because if there was one race you weren't expecting to have any humanity it was the Borg.

For those that like the tech and the technobabble but don't really know what it means a good introductory book to the science of Star Trek is http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Star-Trek-Lawrence-Krauss/dp/0060977108 . It has sections on holodecks and warp drives and transporters etc. and is readable for both those who know physics and those who don't. I.e. I read it before I started my physics degree and it made sense, and I've read it during my degree and it's still interesting.

Tix-oi tor ang te-smur!

Guest Zolrek

With Garak in the mix for DS9, it kind of made it impossible to hate his people. Yes, they did a lot of bad things but Garak and the few other good(ish?) Cardassians showed they where people who weren't bad through and through like so many races Star Trek tried to portray as just evil. You couldn't ignore the evil's of the Cardassians, though, but you couldn't ignore their humanity either.

A good episode to show this is Episode 19: Duet. That episode is moving and absolutely one of the best DS9 episodes. It makes you hold your breath and puts your heart into the actors hands. Throughout the whole episode there are many unexpected turns and only at the very end do you take a breath and think through what really just happened. Truly, a theatrical performance.

tix-oi tor ang te-smur (Live long and prosper) to you too.

Guest Sam_P

A good episode to show this is Episode 19: Duet. That episode is moving and absolutely one of the best DS9 episodes. It makes you hold your breath and puts your heart into the actors hands. Throughout the whole episode there are many unexpected turns and only at the very end do you take a breath and think through what really just happened. Truly, a theatrical performance.

tix-oi tor ang te-smur (Live long and prosper) to you too.

Is it an episode that would make sense standalone? *is impatient and wants to skip to it* :P

Guest Zolrek

Is it an episode that would make sense standalone? *is impatient and wants to skip to it* :P

Well, it would make sense without watching the other episodes. The only problem I've come across with DS9 is it's really hard to care about the characters unless you've watched them grow(which means its harder to catch newcomer watchers who just pop into random episodes). Its better to be watched from start to finish. I think Duet is in Season 1 or 2 so it wouldn't be too many episodes before you watch it. Although, go ahead and skip ahead - whatever floats your boat.

Another really good episode that's on the fridge of grey is "In the Pale Moonlight" season six, though.

Guest nelo

Well, I found out netflix has all the Star Trek series. After I watch the last two season of TNG, because last year going to college made it so I couldn't watch the 2am TNG episodes I had been, so I got cut off right at the beginning of season 6, I think I'll start renting another series. The vote here is DS9? I've watched a good chunk of the beginning of Enterprise, my mom's BF said it gets better but... I don't really feel like watching it at this time. So then after DS9, I guess Voyager.

I'm so amused, I started watching TNG like... a couple years ago... and it was awesome. I didn't just didn't really have time to watch Enterprise also (unlike my mom's BF that was living with her and recording all this trek), but TNG is what first got me into Star Trek. My parents both liking Star Trek, and my dad said he tried to get me to watch it when I was little (and I vaguely remember a few things) but I guess I just wasn't influenced as a child... I really liked cartoons... I think Star Trek seemed boring.

I even owned the first two seasons of TOS for several years, I remember watching the first episode not liking it. O_o;

But the 2009 movie came out and I gave TOS a second chance, and when I went to college I wanted to watch my box sets, and one of my roommate's dad's actually had 3rd season that she brought up, and another one of my roommates had never seen ST, even the new movie, and she LOVED TOS, and so did my BBF who had seen the 2009 movie but wasn't particular obsessed with it or anything.

Anyways, I'm just amused that we're such a group of Trekkies now. A know a couple of them are watching TNG with their mothers over the summer because it reruns on SyFy still. And there are just so many references... in books... TV... movies... I'm not sure how I ever got 18 years of my life without knowing Star Trek.

It's just so entertaining, and there's so much I haven't even seen yet!