• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Metal Music

Guest ~Tessa~

Guest sarah f

Ahhh yes, Metal, my favorite music genre. Here goes, Arch enemy, Type O Negative, Cradle Of Filth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, Dokken, Cinderella, Poison, Disturbed, Van Halen, Alice Cooper, Myself(Lol, I use to be a frontman/guitarist for my own metal band in the 80's).

Hugs,

Suzie

Suzie in a metal band and even the front (wo)man. I would like to have seen or heard that.

Guest GwenMichelle

heres a mix of some bands from different metal genres that you might like, some of them have are 'core' related but there not generic :P

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Between The Buried And Me

Rose Funeral

Ed Gein

Pig Destroyer

Job For A Cowboy

The Chariot

Municipal Waste

Scar Symmetry

The Classic Struggle

Suffokate

Fint Troll

The Red Chord

The Black Dahlia Murder

The Acacia Strain

Dying Fetus

Waking The Cadaver

Darkest Hour

Deicide

xoxo

Guest Melanie Dawn

I'm not saying anything bad about anyone's selections (been thinking about this since the ideas started rolling in), it makes me shake my head at what's categorized as hard rock/heavy metal these days. whiney, singers with no real talent. Just because a band uses distortion, and a "heavy" riff, does Not make it metal. I even tried to watch headbangers ball on mt2 once and i had to laugh at the garbage they put on there... makes me sad.

Melanie Dawn

Guest ~Tessa~

Whew finally gotten through all these recommendations :D and there are a lot so that’s why this post is probably going to be quite long. So be prepared :P .

First of all sorry for posting in the wrong thread :P . Well now that this is done on to the real post :D .

Rhapsody is a good example...

Thx for clearing up what neo-classical metal is. Metal gets really confusing after a while with all its genres and subgenres and it becomes quite difficult to seperate them from each other. I actually already had a bit of neo-classical metal mostly from Malmsteen.

Next folk metal (A must :P )

"Folk Metal"?

Dang....

I'm getting too old for this.....

Donna Jean

Here are a few other bands to get you started (they might be a bit to heavy though :P ): Heidevolk, Korpiklaani, Fjoergyn and Finntroll

I'm not saying anything bad about anyone's selections (been thinking about this since the ideas started rolling in), it makes me shake my head at what's categorized as hard rock/heavy metal these days. whiney, singers with no real talent. Just because a band uses distortion, and a "heavy" riff, does Not make it metal. I even tried to watch headbangers ball on mt2 once and i had to laugh at the garbage they put on there... makes me sad.

I know it’s kind of annoying that these bands get more attention than really great bands who have the possibility to make it big (at least metal big :lol: ). And it’s even more annoying that these singers ruin most of the songs. That’s why I’m sticking to the older stuff or really good new stuff :P . Another thing that is happening to metal is the excessive use of breakdowns, which is awful (my opinion :P ).

But I think it’s for the best that there is variation, since it would be kind of a boring world if everything and everyone was the same. But hopefully they will learn out of their mistakes :lol: .

And a few of my own recommendations, since I shouldn't be the only one discovering new music. I'll try to put them in order of accessibility (from soft to hard)and I'll try to sort them by genre. Sorry for the following (hopefully not to many :D ) mistakes.

(Hard) Rock: Red, Black label society, puddle of mud, Therapy

Heavy metal: Wolf, Iron maiden (obvious), Macbeth, Dio, King diamond, Mercyfull fate, Manowar, Motorhead

Power metal: Sabaton, Derdian, Heavenly, Nightwish, Nocturnal Rites, Galloglas, Alestorm

Progressive/Experimental metal: Pain of salvation, Dream theater, Opeth (progressive death), Indukti, In vain, Ghost brigade, Jupiter society, Sigh

Thrash Metal: Witchaven, Destroyer 666, Sacrilege, Sacred Reich, Noneuclid, Nevermore, Testament, Anvil, Machine head

Viking/Folk/Celtic metal: Equilibrium, Bathory, Windir, Primordial, Falkenbach

Melodic death metal: Insomnium, Dark tranquility, Quo Vadis, In flames, Wintersun, Be 'lakor, Hypocrisy, Necorphobic

Doom metal: Katatonia, Novembers Doom, Before the rain, Rigor sardonicous,Swallow the sun, The lamp of thoth, Black pyramid, Mournful Congregation

(Melodic) Black metal: Marduk, Gorgoroth, Keep of kalessin, Burzum, Goatwhore, Satyricon

Brutal/Technical/Death metal: Aeon, Skinless, Suffocation, Cannibal corpse, Necrophagist, Bloodbath, Braindrill, Brutality, Bright Ophidia, Cadaveryne, The faceless, Capharnaum, Cenothap, Carnophage, Cryptopsy, Death, Daath, Demilich,Diabolic, Kataklysm, Krisiun, Sacrilege, Malevolent Creation

Grindcore: Man must die, Misery index

Goregrind: Last days of humanity, Amputated genitals (It's really a band name sorry about that :P ), Circle of dead children

Drone: Boris with Merzbow (albums: Drone-evil, Absolutego, Flood,...)

Please keep posting bands :P since i've got a lot of time on my hands for the moment (summer vacation :D ).

Btw don't forget to comment on my (excessive) list of recommendations and sorry for the long post :P .

Guest OneOutOfnOne

One of my favourite bands ever is Oceansize (they have a song called One Out of nOne, imagine that) and while they are not pure metal, they exhibit metallic properties, while overlapping with progressive rock and post-rock. They're a bit like Tool (wait, seriously, has no one in here even mentioned Tool yet?), and if you like them you might also try Porcupine Tree and Red Sparowes.

Melanie Dawn

Yeah but what's more annoying are the copious amounts of "labels" to go over something that should just be classified as metal. Screamo, emo, viking core, metal core etc its all moot cause it's all just music imo.

Guest chngnwnd

Well, I see someone included industrial - if you are going to include industrial, don't forget about Ministry and Lard...

Bobbie

Guest Melisiris

I like Tool, Danzig and some(old) NIN, that is about it as far as metal goes for me....oh and a tiny bit of Sepultura

Sisters of Mercy are Gothic-rock not metal.

Guest Melanie Dawn

Yeah but what's more annoying are the copious amounts of "labels" to go over something that should just be classified as metal. Screamo, emo, viking core, metal core etc its all moot cause it's all just music imo.

Ya i think i mentioned that in an earlier post... I remember when I started listening to music it was Heavy/thrash/speed metal and that's all.

Also i forgot one of my absolute favs.... In This Moment.

Melanie Dawn

Guest Nikki A

i can name more, but pm me! there is a lot to sift through and i don't want to go too deep into it or i'll get a headache trying to think of names, my other favorites r Cradle Of Filth (i love the vocals here)

amon amarth (only viking metal i enjoy)

Dilinger Escape Plan (amazing guitar for my tiny brain joyzz)

Despised Icon (good times lol my favorite song is Warm Blooded)

Iwrestledabearonce (a newer band but female screamer! represent)

Eths (look them up on youtube or the french itunes)

Agoraphobic Nosebleed (buy the cd not songs because some albums have hundreds of songs that r like 10 seconds wrong)

Apocalyptica (get my classic on at the same time!)

Cephalic Carnage (ur normal metal stuffs)

Children Of Bodom (love this band! mostly the keyboard)

Otep (another good female lead band!)

Opeth (there albums are very good, he has a mean scream and beautiful vocals. albums r usually half hard half soft)

pm for more lol

hugs, Nikki

Guest NatalieM

TSO is awesome! and if you do like them, you should try the creative genius behind TSO Jon Oliva's Pain, and Savatage.

Melanie Dawn

LOVE Savatage! I'll have to check out Pain.

Also, I urge anyone to go see TSO if they come to your town. Best concert I've ever been to!

Guest ~Tessa~

There are indeed a lot of differnet genres an sub-gernes in metal, which is often annoying but it’s also quite handy. Like when you’re talking to someone about metal it’s really easy to describe a bands by its genre. Of course the other person has to be aware of all the different genres, which is often not the easiest thing. But I agree that it gets really confusing after a while, which is the downside of labeling music. The positive side is that when you are able to recognize the different genres ( after an excessive amount of listening :P ), it’s really easy to talk about it and sort your music.

Btw does anyone know some good instrumental bands like John 5

Thx in advance :D

Guest Melanie Dawn

LOVE Savatage! I'll have to check out Pain.

Also, I urge anyone to go see TSO if they come to your town. Best concert I've ever been to!

It's Jon Oliva's Pain (full band name) just in case you have trouble locating anything

Melanie Dawn

Guest NatalieM

It's Jon Oliva's Pain (full band name) just in case you have trouble locating anything

Melanie Dawn

I found their stuff on Youtube, but darned if I can find anything on Frostwire. The only thing that comes up is T-Pain (even when I type out the full name).

That is one awesome band, though.

Guest Melanie Dawn

I found their stuff on Youtube, but darned if I can find anything on Frostwire. The only thing that comes up is T-Pain (even when I type out the full name).

That is one awesome band, though.

not sure what frost wire is, but PM me and i can get a spot you could find some (if you want)

Melanie Dawn

Guest RachaelAnn

I like Tool, Danzig and some(old) NIN, that is about it as far as metal goes for me....oh and a tiny bit of Sepultura

Ssters of Mercy are Gothic-rock not metal.

Does it matter? Rock was asked for as well as Metal.

Rachael

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Redbeard

I didn't read every response to your post, so I might be repeating some that others have already suggested. Anyway, here's a few that come to mind at the moment that aren't widely known.

Hero/Adventure metal: Amon Amarth, Van Canto and Týr

Black Metal: Dimmu Borgir and Psyclon Nine. Though P9 has a very dominant industrial twist to it. I like it, but it's not for everyone.

• 1 month later...
Guest Cynthia Of Creation

Im just gonna run down my list

Linkin Park (hybrid theory only), Alestorm (Pirate Metal), Amon Amarath, Apocalyptica, Archfiend, Disturbed (my favoirte), Avenged sevenfold (Great in concert),

Children of Bodom, Craddle of Filth, Crimson glory, Dark Tranquility, Dethklok, Devildriver, Dragonforce, Drowning Pool, E Nomine, Five Finger Death Punch, Hammmerfull, Iced earth, In Flames, Alice Coooper, Alice In Chains, Judas Priest, Killswitch Engage, Korn, Lacu Coil (Girl Singer), Halestorm (Girl Singer), Lamb of God, Marilyn Manson, Mastadon, Metallica, Chevelle, Motley Crue, Mudvayne, Mutiny Within, Nine Inch Nails, GUns and Roses, Bon Jovi, Queen, Opiate For The Masses, P.O.D., Pantera, Panic At the Disco, Papa Roach, Poison, Powerman 5000, Rise Against the Machines, Rammstein, Ratt, Rhapsody, Rolling Stones, Rob Zombie, White Zombie, Saliva, Slipknot, Seether, Sickpuppies (song war), skillet, Sonata Arctica, Stained, Static X, System of a Down, Taking Down, Susperia, Tenacious D, The Birthday Massacre (Girl Singer), Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Trivium, Tool, Trapt, Warrant, Wrath of Killenstein, Kamelot, BrocasHelm, Bullet For My Valentine, Zebrahead, jimi hendrix, The Guess Who, Offspring, Pat Benatar, Phantasmagoria (Japanese), Dir En Grey (Japanese), Ares (Japanese)

And of Course OZZY!

Well there ya go.

From super hardrock, to Metal, to any kind of metal to death metal nad Japanese Metal!, O 1 thing

If you never listened to ozzy do it, do it now!