• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Ftm Hair Issues

Guest Father Ford

Guest harvester52

Hair can be a major issue for FTM's, too. When I got my first male haircut, I did so much research into what would help me pass, what would be more masculine, etc. Does anybody have any tips besides the business cut that I wear now?

Also, I'll be starting T in June. When I get facial hair, that presents a whole new avenue of masculine style. Often, when I see men that have facial hair, I look at the style they have, and I picture it on myself. I think I'd probably be one to grow a full beard. I think a lot of transmen have this question, too. When they start to get facial hair, should they shave it off until it can be a full beard, or should they let it grow? Does it help one pass if they have a bit of a mustache or sideburns?

Guest Snow Angel

Of course it helps you pass, because women don't sport moustaches. I think you need to shave a lot at first, because the first hairs are soft and whispy. Shaving encourages growth, and the harder hairs to sprout. Oh and I think goatees are sexy.

Guest Keiichi-kun

Snow Angel is right. Shaving makes the hair grow back thicker and stuff. I would suggest shaving for awhile until the hair gets to where you like it and then grow a beard,goatie, ect.

Guest Chris_421

Actually when you shave, it really doesn't grow back thicker, it just appears that way because when it comes back in, it's sharp and hasn't had the exposure to become soft again. I'm just starting to get darker hairs under my chin and on the sides of my face, I'm not sure whether I want to shave it, even though it is kinda grubby I'd say, it is a masculine trait to have darker hair on the face. So, it's up to you, but I believe it will help you pass, if it is sparse.

Now, with the haircut, hmm. What I can see from your pic, is the haircut is working well for you. So unless you're wanting a change, I think it's great.

Guest Sergei

Just go for traditional male hair styles. The one advice I had was not to shave your hair completely, because women and men have different shaped heads, and that can give you away, although I have been shaving my hair completely for ages, and I haven't had any problems. My biggest issue is the fact that my hairline is way too far forward for a guy. I've been on T for almost two months now, so I'm hoping that it should start receeding soon. My facial hair is coming in, but it's quite patchy at the moment, so I tend to keep it shaved. I've looked at cismen my age, and lots of them still have patchy beards as well. So I guess it depends on your age. If you are young I guess it's ok to let a patch beard grow, but if you are a bit older it might give you away.

Guest Shaun.Olsen

I dunno, i have shaved since i was 13 years old and it has caused me to grow darker longer thicker hairs....???? :{|)> shaving worked for me, it took till i just started t to make them really come right out and expose themselves though lol lol now they feel so wicked. i love playing with the ones on my chin.... but argh! the moustache wont show!! dunno,

But yeah i do believe that shaving helped them come out better...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Just_Call_Me_Nick

I keep mine shaved....as for hair styles...man there is some many out there...just go with your own style...how you like it....don't restrict yourself into a stereo type look I say....go outside the box...but then again I am weird and probably shouldn't be giving any advice on this subject. lol...

But yes trust me when you start them T's....you be getting the hair on your face...and like every other FTM the first thing we all want to do is grow a beard....its like we just went through puberty of something....lol....but you will pass for sure...no worries.

Nick~