• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Skirts And Underwear

Guest toro

A fairly simple question:

I got my first skirt, but I have nothing but boxers and I don't know when the next time I'll go shopping alone will be. What do I do? :banghead:

Guest Andrea2010

Hi Toro. Another option if available to you is buying online. I do the vast majority of my shopping online at VS and Frederick's (Though I prefer VS because their items just seem to fit better). Sorry not trying to plug any store in particular, just offering a little personal experience lol.

Guest sarah f

I also like VS but I prefer panties from Target and they are cheap. They only cost about 3$ per pair. Until you are able to purchase some your only options are to wear your boxers or nothing. I know it doesn't really feel right wearing boxers with a skirt but a girl had to do what she has to do to be happy.

Guest Emily H

I'm not sure what your situation is, but you could buy a air of panties in the store when nobody is looking and sneak them home. I did that one time with a cheap pair of pantyhose, just to see if it would work. It did. Get an excuse to have time to look around yourself, get the panties, then go out to the car and get it in a pre-arranged hiding spot. Something like that.

Or, you could wear nothing under your skirt.

Which, reminded me of this.

Or, is there a female in your household? Maybe you could borrow a pair of hers, just for temporary use?

Guest ChloëC

toro, another possibility, if you really feel uncomfortable purchasing women's briefs in a public store, and are unable to make any online purchases, I believe there are men's briefs that are pretty close. (Not just tighty-whitey's either) They come in colors, some are low cut (I think they're called European or International style). And get a size slightly smaller than you usually wear. Store's like JC Penney or even TJ Maxx may have them and you'd be in the Men's Department the whole time.

Once on underneath a skirt, with tucking, it might work, and if you accidently left them out, no one would be terribly suspicious.

As others here have pointed out, after the initial fear, buying women's clothes isn't that bad, mostly because the salespeople usually just want to make a sale.

Hugs

Chloë

Guest Adalia

I use men's briefs with my skirt and I pretend they are panties but I plan on buying women's apparel online exclusively in future partially because of the fear of how judgmental other customers will be I was checking the price of a skirt at Old Navy and some woman gave me the evil eye and it made me mad and I wasn't worried about the saleswoman after all being nice to customers who do not cause trouble also finding shoes proved to be impossible

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AlterSabrina

Well Toro,

As you can see, there are a lot of options.

Personally, I always try to find something matching online.

There are so many different types of female undergarment available; hipsters, bikini like panties, thongs(a).

I also love wearing pantyhose underneath skirts/dresses.

Well, that’s my opinion.

You could wear whatever you want, there are also boy shorts worn by females.

The most important thing is that it makes you feel right. Just try to find what you like.

Hugs,

Sabrina

Guest Bobbie Anne

Hi. I purchase panties from Big Lots and Family Dollar. My last purchase was 5 pack for $5.00 at Big Lots. Nothing wrong with the material. The sales people dont care who you are, just another sale. Go for it and buy some. Bobbie Anne

Guest Emily H

Hi. I purchase panties from Big Lots and Family Dollar. My last purchase was 5 pack for $5.00 at Big Lots. Nothing wrong with the material. The sales people dont care who you are, just another sale. Go for it and buy some. Bobbie Anne

Bobbie I'm wondering, what are the clothes like at Big Lots? Do they have a good size selection, good style?

Guest Bobbie Anne

Bobbie I'm wondering, what are the clothes like at Big Lots? Do they have a good size selection, good style?

Hi Emily. Big lots does not have much of a selection, but for panties it is OK as they have the style I wear. Perhaps you should consider thrift shops if they are close to you. They have huge selections and very cheap, also some of the clothes are like new. The first time buying could be a little nerve racking but it gets easier, the sales people realy dont care if you are a guy buying womens things. I have watched other women shoppers as I brouse the racks and they dont give a second look at me. Have fun. Bobbie Anne

Guest Emily H

Hi Emily. Big lots does not have much of a selection, but for panties it is OK as they have the style I wear. Perhaps you should consider thrift shops if they are close to you. They have huge selections and very cheap, also some of the clothes are like new. The first time buying could be a little nerve racking but it gets easier, the sales people realy dont care if you are a guy buying womens things. I have watched other women shoppers as I brouse the racks and they dont give a second look at me. Have fun. Bobbie Anne

Oh I know all about shopping for women's clothing ;). Thank you for your input.

• 1 year later...
Guest Sarah1967

I have been chatting with a friend on yahoo messenger an she and she told me about the good deals on ebay and since I know my size I can make up my mind an pick out what I want and so far I bought a YMY jean mini skirt an it fits perfect an got 6 new bras in pink, purple, white. blue, black an tan an what a perfect fit an the shoulder straps stay in place an the bra does not ride up of I raise my arms over my head, the cups fit my B cup breasts so very well an are so comfortable an feel like not wearing a bra. I received the items in 3 days, I did order a pair of gap flare jeans that I will get Monday. I have a long list of what I want an next month I will get a pair of leggings in hot pink an boyshorts in hot pink, a racer back tank top a tunic top an an more panties. I would love to have some sandles with the wedge heel They would show off my toe rings an painted toe nails and I will be getting more skirts, jeans an tops dresses that like an want..

Guest kimberly c

Hi, If you have a Kohl`s in your area they have a wide selection of panties and the prices are good when they have a sale.

Love Kim

Guest Eve Caillard

Hi Toro

Like Andrea2010 and Sarah1967 I'm a great user of E-bay in the UK for all my needs. Not only have I purchased some beautiful clothes, I can browse, bookmark and choose in my own time. Hopefully the USA version of E-bay is similar? I made sure I know all my necessary measurements in ladies' sizes, and so far have not made a bad purchase. The only problem I find is the colour rendition on photos is not accurate. There are E-bay shops that bear us in mind, too. My biggest difficulty are shoes and boots, because I have feet like dinner plates. :( Not exactly feminine!

Good luck with your search and shopping.

Eve

Guest ~Phoebe~

If you purchase panties at any retail store the SA won't care if the panties are for yourself. Your cash/plastic is as good as anyone's ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marlane

Hi Toro,

I will make it unanimous . Go with nothing, but now you are back to that tucking issue. Anyway it will make a story to remember

Guest KayJo

Hi Marlane, welcome to Laura's.

I'm still relatively new to CD'ing myself. And at first I was desperately self conscious about shopping in the ladies section. Trust me, it gets easier with practice.

If you have transportation, I'd suggest something like the following:

Here's my approach.

Get to Wal Mart or if you prefer another mass market store (Sears, KMart, Target, etc etc) early after they open (they'll be less busy).

Research sizes online before you go. For genetic males used to remembering one measurement (waist), ladies sizes can be really confusing. And maybe pick out the style & color you want in advance.

Enter store, march to ladies underwear section, select item, march to checkout, pay with cash, leave store. Don't worry, the checkout person couldn't care less what you are buying and just wants to make sure you leave the store happy.

Go to car.

Remove tags (bring a small pocket knife in car or nail scissors). Put receipt, bag, tags in store trash container. Fold panties and stuff in pocket of bluejeans or whatever you are wearing.

Drive off, mission completed.

I will say the assistants at Victoria's Secret are generally really friendly and sweet so maybe for purchase #2 go their and they will help you find an item for pretend GF or spouse. They get guys in all the time looking for sexy items for their ladies so they won't think twice about it.

Good luck honey,

Kay

XX

Guest Clair Dufour

Does not matter much what you wear underneath as long as it keeps you from having tilt in ya kilt!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alexishayzee

Well I totally respect other woemn's views on types of underwear to wear, but Victori Secret is really the best place to go. Target is nice and inexpensive asour beautiful moderator has stated, but save a few extra bucks to buy VS! They are so comfy, cute, sexy and they really help me to feel like more of a woman.

I like to buy the "no-show" panties from the Body by Victoria line. They are smooth, silky, and they leave no panty lines :) This is very helpful when wearing sweats, skirts, dresses, etc. Let me know what you think.

~ Lexi

Guest Tina8251957

Hi Toro,

I too was very scared to buy women under garments and clothes. But once I got up the currage to go into a store and buy womens clothes, I found out that the sales people are more than happy to help you with everything from sizes to what would look good on you. In fact, I think that most sales persons would prefer to help a CD over a woman. Because with the CD they really are being helpful and not just a clothes rack.

Tina

Guest RachaelSage

Just buy the panties. :) Attitude is important - if you seem nervous or self-conscious, others may suspect you're a "weirdo who likes wearing underwear". (I don't really like such people, so I ignore them anyway. ;) ) If you act confident, people will assume you're shopping for a girlfriend or family member.

In an episode of American Restoration, the shop owner was restoring a vintage "sanitary napkin" dispenser for a charity auction, proceeds to go to Go Red or another breast cancer awareness organization. He sent his son to the drug store to buy a variety of panty liners to see what would fit the old dispenser. The female cashier said "Oh, how sweet...are you buying these for your mother?" and the kid said "Actually, they're for my father." {beat} "Oh..." {awkward silence} (I'd bet she would have offered digits if he had actually explained what they were for, but he was just too nervous.) The moral of the story: Be confident, and if someone asks if they're for a family member and you don't want to admit they're for you...you say "yes".

Edited by Carolyn Marie
Embedded non-tran video deleted, per the T & Cs