Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Clockwork

What;s The Differnce?

3 posts in this topic

I'm having a little trouble understanding the difference between Intersexed people and Trans people. Can some one clear this up for me?

Because there are times when i think i might be intersexed and then i think i might be trans, and all the other stuff in between.

Hello Clockwork,

Intersex is a physical condition - a person is born with mixed organs - testicles and ovaries. This condition can be diagnosed by a doctor. Transgender is in actuality a mental condition - a mental perception of opposite gender. It's possible to be both TG and intersexed, as you'll find by reading in this forum.

Love, Kat

The following definition of intersex was taken from Wikipedia:

Intersex in humans refers to intermediate or atypical combinations of physical features that usually distinguish female from male. This is usually understood to be congenital, involving chromosomal, morphologic, genital and/or gonadal anomalies, such as diversion from typical XX-female or XY-male presentations, e.g., sex reversal (XY-female, XX-male), genital ambiguity, sex developmental differences. An intersex individual may have biological characteristics of both the male and the female sexes.

And this definition also from Wikipedia:

Transgender is the state of one's "gender identity" (self-identification as woman, man, neither or both) not matching one's "assigned sex" (identification by others as male, female or intersex based on physical/genetic sex).

Using the definitions from Wikipedia one can see that intersex and transgender are not the same and one doesn't arise from the other, contrary to opinions expressed by many transgender persons.

Thtufus