Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Jennifer RachaelAnn

Is There Anything Past Death?

Is There Anything Past Death?   73 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think happens?

• Heaven & Hell (or another variation of)
    • Wandering Spirit (Ghost)
    • Reincarnation
    • Nothing
    • Don't Know
    • Never Really Thought About It
    • Don't Care
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 posts in this topic

This is something I have struggled with for several years. I don't believe in religion, so I'm left to draw my own conclusions. Maybe it's fear of the unknown, or maybe it's my Catholic roots, but I don't like the idea that we die and that's it. Nothing left but a rotting corpse. Personally all I can really say is that I hope for something. The idea of reincarnation has stuck with me more than anything. If that was to be the wrong one I would hope for a Heaven/Hell type of post-death situation.

Am I crazy for worrying so much about this?

What do you believe/feel/hope happens?

Rachael

I don't know Rachael......

I'm hoping for more because there always seems to be so much unresolved.

And for all of the beauty, intelligence and love in this world, it'd be a shame to waste it on such a short life...

Is there more?

Beats me.......

Donna Jean

Well, RachaelAnn, you can leave good memories. Not only will your 'spirit' be around after you're gone, but you will most likely have done good things while you're here.

My mother believes in that devoutly and has made sure over the years that our deceased ancestors are remembered in some way.

One of the most heart-wrenching, teary stories I ever read was about this young man who happened to meet this old man, possibly in a park, and eventually visited him on occasion, and the older one listened, gave suggestions or advice, but only in a kind way, maybe loaned the young man a dollar or two. Nothing big, he was just there as a friend. He lived by himself, had a limited income, not much of an apartment. And then one day, the young man, who hadn't seen the old man in several months and kept meaning to, but never found the time, read his obituary in the paper and wondered if anyone would should up at funeral. So he decided that at least he would show up. Needless to say, he was shocked at the huge crowd that showed up. All the people that the old man had befriended, listened to, gave some advice, maybe loaned a dollar or two.

That is a really good way to be remembered, and to have your 'spirit' or whatever you want to believe it is, continue on.

Hugs

Chloë

No reason to make life so complicated if we weren't here to learn something?

And I remember past lives - so I don't worry much.

Elizabeth Anne

I really cannot say Rachael.

Sometimes I wish I knew for sure, but resign myself to faith.

Love

Brenda

of course there is something after death! even if that something is nothing. or decomposition and our nutrients returning to the earth in a form of non spiritual reincarnation

hugs, Nikki

I just nabbed something I wrote for another topic to give you an idea of my thoughts on the subject. there is a bit about why/how we become trans as well.

"OK- I believe that we are spirits inhabiting mortal/physical forms for a reason. Before we are born, our spirit decides, or rather KNOWS what we need to do in pur upcoming life. Usually it is to learn from others, teach ourselves something, or make up for past transgressions. Basically, you choose your path... if you hated fat people, and were mean to them, or just disliked them from afar-maybe... you come into your next life as a person with a weight problem (to help you understand what it's like). Also, this can help you become a more well rounded person, and in the end makes your spirit all the more "perfect/complete". I believe at times we choose what gender we will be, and sometimes it's random. As far as Tg people go, I think the need, desire, want, etc to become the other sex is residual imprinting from a past life, OR our spirit is female, and our physical selves remember that (unconsciously), and that gives us the need to go through what most/all Tg people go through. (sorry for using the mtf-but that's who i am).

I know to some this may seem wacky, or bazaar, but to me... the whole point of life is to learn, and become "perfect/complete" spirits..when his occurs is when we go to heaven/nirvana/Valhalla/whatever.

Know I know someone is reading this and saying, "Hey Mel! What about violent criminals and their ilk?! Again, this is another learning tool. If one is a violent person, or other bad type... the NEXT life they have allows them to make up for it by being a person of kindness, and charity. For some, it may take several life times to "get" one lesson. I feel people who have been here many times are what some call an "Old Soul". Most old souls inevitable/and maybe on accident a teacher. Not always a typical school type teacher, but someone other can learn from by being around them, and partaking of their knowledge. "

Melanie Dawn

Stuff

I'm not sure. I definitely don't believe in heaven and hell, and I would LIKE to believe in reincarnation, but I'm not really a member of any religion to base my beliefs off of and don't really have any idea.

I don't believe in reincarnation--at least not the typically way. I believe that each of us has a unique spirit, and we are not "trapped" reliving in this world. Instead, we are on a path of learning and growth. This world is just one of the small steps in our immortal path. I believe we had a life before, and we will have a life after death. After we die though, we will not forget our experiences here. In fact, we will probably have a greater memory of them. Heaven and hell is the simplest way to put it, but it is really more complex. The next life is unique to ever soul that enters it. There will be a place for everyone, and everyone will have a special job designed for his unique traits, skills, abilities, knowledge, and desires.

I don't know what I believe. I often struggle with the same thought that after this there is nothing, it gets me down and makes me think if that is the case everything we do here is meaningless. And while people may say it's about memories we leave behind, I don't believe that is enough to satisfy my craving for something more. Because memories are painful whether happy or sad. Remembering a happy time with someone who is now gone? that is painful to remember that knowing it'll never happen again or knowing you'll never be able to make another happy memory with them! To me all those memories good or bad are just torment and too saddening to even contemplate playing them over in your mind if you can help it. That's just how I feel about it though.

I don't believe in reincarnation--at least not the typically way. I believe that each of us has a unique spirit, and we are not "trapped" reliving in this world. Instead, we are on a path of learning and growth. This world is just one of the small steps in our immortal path. I believe we had a life before, and we will have a life after death. After we die though, we will not forget our experiences here. In fact, we will probably have a greater memory of them. Heaven and hell is the simplest way to put it, but it is really more complex. The next life is unique to ever soul that enters it. There will be a place for everyone, and everyone will have a special job designed for his unique traits, skills, abilities, knowledge, and desires.

Yours is a more direct explanation of my explaination (sorta) :P

Melanie Dawn

/High Five! :P

I was brought up in a tradition of Heaven and its counterpart the punishment and agony of an eternal Hell - well that's what this life has seemed to be so I am hoping that there is something after death, I am praying that it is better and that I will have no memories of this life at all!

I would like to truly believe that there is some sort of point to all of the suffering and struggling that this life is made of but I am afraid that only a next life can justify putting anyone through this.

I have never been in charge, just a soldier, a worker, a pawn in this whole game and therefore cursed with the true vision of the problems but never allowed to mention or do anything about them.

I have never seen Heaven in the traditional sense - no angels with wings (don't let my avatar fool you) no golden harps or bands made up of all of the past musicians - no gates of gold, no clouds to sit on just peace, calm and rest for the first time since I was 4 - how I hope that I am right and will be there someday.

All else is chaos and we must fight our way through it all of the while trying to make sense out of the senseless.

LOVE and a prayer for peace,

Sally

I believe in a creative and destructive force that moves through all things. a force we can tap into. Align with. Sentient and beyond understanding. Manifested in many way now and through time. And in reincarnation as a part of that. We can't possibly learn enough in one life-or even several-to become a true part of that higher power. Heaven-when we reach that state. Hell-knowing that it is there and we will never reach it.

I believe that there was a Jesus Christ who was part of that manifestation and follow his teachings of love and acceptance.

I've remembered past lives since I was very young-preschool. Dreamed them and had a couple of visions of them.

I think we are in a sort of school for experience. Real life is elsewhere-before and after. And I believe that each person must follow their own path and belief. I honor those beliefs.

I don't know how or why some spirits manifst after death but there is a great deal of proof they do. Tat alone argues for ife after death. as do the experiments conducted by Ivy league universities that demonstrated tat thought CAN influence things in the physical world. Just as the new studies are now showing prayer has an effect. How? I don't know but I know it argues that we are more than physical bodies and that in turn argues for the probability of life after death.

Steven Hawking, Albert Einstein and many other of the greatest minds have all believed in a higher power and life after death. Just some objective facts.

I believe because I know beyond doubt at the core of my being. And that is purely subjective-but I have no choice. Any more than I could choose to be trans -or not.

Love

JJ

I personally don't know what happens after death and won't know until I die. I'm not sure if there is a god or not - my personal view is, that if there a god then it won't be any god we humans believe in - and if there is an afterlife, it's more likely that we reincarnate than go to either Heaven or Hell. If there is nothing after death, then we've all got nothing to worry about.

From my perspective we're all just made up of stuff. The stuff is permanent and our fleeting existence is just the result of stuff coming together in the right combination. I don't see myself (or people in general) being any more spectacular or special than a computer or a washing machine or a car tire. When I die the only thing I expect to happen is the stuff that makes up me will break down and move back in the environment. I don't see any evidence for deities or supernatural anything so from my perspective such questions are irrelevant.

ive always hoped that theres nothing after death just because ive always seen death as kind of an escape from all the pain in life... but the reincarnation thing does sound kind of nice...as long as i get the right body next time :P so im kinda hoping for either or...but have no idea which to believe in... :(

but either way im happy as long as theres no heaven or hell cause...yea no way im geting in heaven <_<

I am a firm believer in reincarnation. I remember past lives vividly. My beliefs are an odd mix of Pagan/Wiccan, and Catholic. I believe in God, the Trinity, and the Saints while also having a deep connection to the energies of the multiverse in which we live. I understand that the Bible says nothing about past lives, but how can I deny something that's so vivid and real to me? I remember people, places, things... as though they happened yesterday. I guess it all comes down to one's own perception of the spiritual.

-BC

While I've always been oriented to popular Christianity, having never found the "faith". I've always been left wondering. I have always been someone who needs to see to believe. However, with the wide and sometimes radically different faiths out there it leaves one wondering "If everyone is right, who's wrong?". Personally, I have a bit of a saying I've always lived by and that is...For everything created, there is a creator. That statement alone nullifies some notion of everything just appearing out of no where, it applies to even the "Big Bang Theory", something had to have created the things necessary for it to take place.

Following that allows me to peacefully remember there is at least 1 supreme being, or a number of them. This is a bit beyond my speculation as there is just not simply any evidence of there being 1 or many (at least to me). Hope some found this to be interesting, this "theory" opens a new can of beans though.

I can't deny some of the miracles many have witnessed or even dismiss them, because deep down inside...I want to know things like that happen too. It gives people hope, some do not realize just how important hope is.

<3333

While my parents raised me as a Protestant, I never really connected with very concept of 'an all power, all knowing deity, or force of nature'.

I guess I have a streak of extreme scepticism. For example, praying before and after a meal, seemed like a hollow ritual, and still seems like that to me.

As far an afterlife is concerned, I tend to think along the lines of reincarnation, even though I never gave it much conscious thought.

[sarcasm]

After all, if there's a heaven, and a hell, I suspect both places to suffer from overpopulation.

[/sarcasm]

My beliefs are kinda complicated in a way, but I believe there is a lot after death. And I don't believe it's just one thing like reincarnation or being a wandering spirit, I think that it's all of the above. I don't really have a set religion, though. I have my own strange belief system... 0-0

As far as reincarnation goes, I believe in past lives and everything like that, as I have seen parts of my own past lives... I don't exactly believe that there is much of a pattern in reincarnation, though. I've heard that reincarnation works by working your way up in life, like you may start as a rock and move up as different species until you reached human, but I just believe that reincarnation is having another life. You don't really need to work your way up in your lives. The next life you could be a human again, then maybe a dog or lion, then back to human or maybe even a fish or insect. Not really much of a pattern. But I do believe that past lives affect your current and future ones with things like personality and how your body develops and things like that if you know what I mean... I'm really not good at explaining things, lol.

Anyway, I also don't believe that reincarnation isn't the only type of after life, but heaven and hell are also places your spirit goes. But I don't really believe there is only one heaven and one hell, but rather they are personalized for each and every person's, like one person's heaven could be another person's hell. I also believe that your spirit could get trapped in the world as a wandering spirit or "ghost" because of things in the past that made them feel "trapped" and made it so they were unable to move on.

Pretty much the only thing I don't believe is that when you die there is nothing more than your body that rots in the ground... It just doesn't make sense to me... 0-0 I'm not really sure what decides what happens to your spirit after you die, but I believe that all the above happens in one way or another.

Dear Jennifer,

<<< hug >>>

There is nothing wrong with contemplating this -_-

As for your question, What do you think happens?

I think the answer is as unique as the life of every living soul :huh:

This is your life and you need to believe in whatever you feel is right for you ^_^

It is called Faith for a very good reason B)

:wub: vanna

I believe in reicarnation, for me at least. For others, well I think there's a chance it varies person to person and that one's belief of what happes plays a role in determining it. I don't know of any of my other past lives yet, although some friends have said they suspect I`ve had a lot of them based on my maturity at this age, and that I'm probably female in most of them and something went wrong this time. I can't say for sure, because honestly maturity could have just come from having to deal with big gender issues like these.

Still, I'm working on the whole past-life recovery thing. I know a couple others who can do it. Unfortunately a couple literally means two in this case and the one who can teach things well just moved to the states. The other one is nice normally, but gets kind of mean/strict/snappy-at-the-student (i.e. me) when she's teaching anything.

Maybe I'll just look for a book.

Kia Ora Jennifer,

:rolleyes: From a Buddhist perspective my understanding is as follows…

Quote:[from a quote from one of my old posts]

Buddhists generally do not believe in reincarnation since that presupposes the existence of a “soul” (ataman) or some other form of an “eternal self.” The Buddha taught there is no “self” (anatman) that is eternal. This is a fundamental difference between Hinduism, the primary religion of India, and Buddhism. Buddhists may, however, believe in rebirth. The difference between the two may seem confusing since rebirth at first glance appears to imply the existence a soul but the difference is profound.

Buddhists use fire as an example to illustrate the concept of rebirth. If you transfer the flame from a lighted candle to an unlit candle, the new flame is contingent on the old flame for its existence but they are not the same flame. There is continuity between the two but they are distinct. Reincarnation would mean that the old flame is 'exactly' the same as the new flame. Rebirth recognizes there is a contiguous relationship of one life to the other but each is otherwise distinct.

End of quote...

What is transferred into the new body [rebirth] is ‘consciousness’ and within this consciousness is all the stored/ unripe karmic energy from the previous ‘lives’ B)

:rolleyes: I hope this helps you to understand the difference between ‘reincarnation & rebirth’...

Metta Zenda :)

For most of my life I've been wondering about this. The bible says good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. I really don't know my destination because i have my whole life ahead of me and who knows what could happen. Some say, such as the jehovah witnesses, heaven nor hell exist and once a person dies he no longer exist in any way or in other words, you don't have a soul. So, for me i really don't know what's past death.

I do not believe that the Bible simply says that good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. That's overgeneralizing it and it misses the point. Life isn't about being good or bad. Life is about our progression: what we learn and who we become. The Bible teaches us to follow Christ, and to be perfect like He is. Going to heaven is essentially being close to the Lord, and following after His footsteps, whereas going to hell is leaving the presence of God.