• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Ramadan Kareem!

Guest Alice4016

Guest Alice4016

Assalamu Alakium!

Tonight marks the first night of Ramadan!! :D If anyone is curious about this blessed month please feel free to ask away :D Dawah is a great thing to do during Ramadan so feel free to shoot away :D Also, if anyone is interested in learning how to fast and giving it a try (you do not need to be Muslim to experience the cultures of another religion) I would be happy to help guide you through the basics :P It's quite an experience and remember you don't have to be Muslim; most religions allow some sort of fasting so try it for your faith :D You may be surprised just how close to Allah swt (God in Arabic language) this month and act of devotion can bring you inshaAllah.

Best wishes :D

Nashida

Guest ~Brenda~

Assalamu Alakium Nashida :)

Forgive me if I did not use the words correctly.

Please do explain Ramadan and Dawah :) Anything else you wish to add would be helpful too :)

Love

Brenda

• Admin

Wa alaikum assalaam, Nashida.

You're right, of course, about fasting in other religions. I am a Jew, and during Yom Kippur, we fasted for 24 hours. It was often an

unpleasant time, as my father would become very ill tempered while fasting, but we endured. :)

Eid Saeed, Nashida.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Elizabeth K

I used a translation program I have hoping to find an appropriate statement but i was surprised to see this:

رمضان

So It didn't do what I wanted, giving me latin alphabet words.

Five of the 17 people in my office are disciples of Islam, to varing degrees. So I have a smattering of information on RAMADAN.

Our Catholic Fasting and pentenance season here in New Orleans - where FASTING is taken very seriously - is the LENTEN SEASON. This as you know is the forty days before Easter Sunday. It starts with Ash Wednesday - the day after Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday - named so as it is the last day of self gratification before the sacrifices start)

Some people do fast in a ritualistic way. It does NOT really come close to the dedication required for the RAMADAN - nor is it as rigid in its rules as occurs in other religions - BUT it is significant for most everyone. New Orleans is a city of DIVERSITY.

Generally, there is no meat allowed for forty days, but fish and seafood is allowed. Some follow this sacrifice closely - some not all. BUT almost everyone in New Orleans, Catholic or not, will have fish or seafood on Fridays. It is a token, but it has a real symbolic meaning - as it often includes non-believers.

BUT - the Lenten Season for Catholics, and some Protestants, also includes a self-sacrifice, similar to a New Year's Resolution, perhaps. No smoking, or no drinking soft drinks, such as that. It has to be a real sacrifice to have any meaning, I mean you can't give up chewing gum or eating potatoe chips, and have it mean anything. Before I transitioned, I would often give up all forms of swearing, harder to do than most people realize. Of couse as a woman, I have learned to modify my 'self-expression' when angry, to the milder words of a Southern Lady..

I also one Lenten Season gave up smoking a pipe. I was about age 34> I discovered how addicted I was to it, so I never went back. That's how it works, sometimes - a step toward self-betterment as well as a temporary sacrifice.

That is how modern Christianity has evolved, in some ways. It's sometimes more of a token, almost a mere gesture, which is regretful in some ways. But at least for me and most others here in my area (usually those of the Catholic faith where fasting is a true belief) a token sacrifice is still a very heartfelt thing.

RAMADAN - a really serious religious experience, like you said, can be honored by others, outside Islam.

I have fasted, totally, with the exception of one hard roll per day and water, for twelve full days and nights. I had heard that after ten days, the hunger leaves. I wanted to see if that worked, and it does. Jesus fasted forty days in the desert. Fasting does cleanse your spirit as well as your body. It was an amazing experience, and I feel everyone should experience it if their health allows.

I have done modified fasting many times since then - but I have diabetic complications, so I have to be careful. I did a semi-fast once for over twelve weeks - but it was for the wrong reason - to lose 26 pounds (I did) - but I looked terrible - people were asking if I had cancer.

But true fasts are good - my recommendation is for three days maximum which will usually do no real harm. You mind does strange things... you go to places of better understanding.

CAUTION NOTE: YOU NEED TO LET YOUR DOCTOR KNOW IN ADVANCE, IF YOU ARE CONTEMPLATING A FAST.

GOOD TOPIC - thank you.

Assalamu Alakium Nashida - I too hope that is correct.

Elizabeth Anne

Guest Elizabeth K

UPDATE

Islamic Phrases: Assalamu alaikum

By Huda, About.com Guide

Definition: A common greeting among Muslims, meaning "Peace be with you." The appropriate response is "Wa alaikum assalaam" (And upon you be peace.)

Extended forms include "Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah" (May the peace and mercy of Allah be with you) and "Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh" (May the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be with you).

Pronunciation: as-salam-u-alay-koom

Alternate Spellings: salaam alaykum, assalaam alaykum, assalaam alaikum, and others

FYI everyone

"Peace be with you'" is central in the Catholic Mass - say that to ANY Catholic and they automatically will respond "And also with you" (try it!).

Wiccan is "Blessed Be!" and the response will be the same. (It's like a code word and lets you know the person you addressed is also true Wiccan).

Lizzy

• Admin

Just a little side note on proper greetings; the Vulcan greeting "Live long and prosper" is supposedly spoken as "Dif-tor heh smusma."

Just thought everyone would want to to know that. :rolleyes:

Carolyn Marie

(Peace be with you)

Have a truly meaningful celebration of Ramadan, may it bring you inner peace and closer to Allah.

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

(May the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be with you)

Sally

Guest Alice4016

You're right, of course, about fasting in other religions. I am a Jew, and during Yom Kippur, we fasted for 24 hours. It was often an

unpleasant time, as my father would become very ill tempered while fasting, but we endured. :)

Eid Saeed, Nashida.

Carolyn Marie

Haha, yes; at first some have this reaction to not eating :P I've heard that followers of the Jewish faith do not have a pre-dawn meal?? That has to make it very difficult!? Happy you survived :P

Happy Ramadan, Nashida!

I don't know any other words so that will have to do!

Goo luck on your fasting....

Huggs

Donna Jean

Thank you Donna :P inshaAllah, inshaAllah

I used a translation program I have hoping to find an appropriate statement but i was surprised to see this:

رمضان

So It didn't do what I wanted, giving me latin alphabet words.

Five of the 17 people in my office are disciples of Islam, to varing degrees. So I have a smattering of information on RAMADAN.

Our Catholic Fasting and pentenance season here in New Orleans - where FASTING is taken very seriously - is the LENTEN SEASON. This as you know is the forty days before Easter Sunday. It starts with Ash Wednesday - the day after Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday - named so as it is the last day of self gratification before the sacrifices start)

Some people do fast in a ritualistic way. It does NOT really come close to the dedication required for the RAMADAN - nor is it as rigid in its rules as occurs in other religions - BUT it is significant for most everyone. New Orleans is a city of DIVERSITY.

Generally, there is no meat allowed for forty days, but fish and seafood is allowed. Some follow this sacrifice closely - some not all. BUT almost everyone in New Orleans, Catholic or not, will have fish or seafood on Fridays. It is a token, but it has a real symbolic meaning - as it often includes non-believers.

BUT - the Lenten Season for Catholics, and some Protestants, also includes a self-sacrifice, similar to a New Year's Resolution, perhaps. No smoking, or no drinking soft drinks, such as that. It has to be a real sacrifice to have any meaning, I mean you can't give up chewing gum or eating potatoe chips, and have it mean anything. Before I transitioned, I would often give up all forms of swearing, harder to do than most people realize. Of couse as a woman, I have learned to modify my 'self-expression' when angry, to the milder words of a Southern Lady..

I also one Lenten Season gave up smoking a pipe. I was about age 34> I discovered how addicted I was to it, so I never went back. That's how it works, sometimes - a step toward self-betterment as well as a temporary sacrifice.

That is how modern Christianity has evolved, in some ways. It's sometimes more of a token, almost a mere gesture, which is regretful in some ways. But at least for me and most others here in my area (usually those of the Catholic faith where fasting is a true belief) a token sacrifice is still a very heartfelt thing.

RAMADAN - a really serious religious experience, like you said, can be honored by others, outside Islam.

I have fasted, totally, with the exception of one hard roll per day and water, for twelve full days and nights. I had heard that after ten days, the hunger leaves. I wanted to see if that worked, and it does. Jesus fasted forty days in the desert. Fasting does cleanse your spirit as well as your body. It was an amazing experience, and I feel everyone should experience it if their health allows.

I have done modified fasting many times since then - but I have diabetic complications, so I have to be careful. I did a semi-fast once for over twelve weeks - but it was for the wrong reason - to lose 26 pounds (I did) - but I looked terrible - people were asking if I had cancer.

But true fasts are good - my recommendation is for three days maximum which will usually do no real harm. You mind does strange things... you go to places of better understanding.

CAUTION NOTE: YOU NEED TO LET YOUR DOCTOR KNOW IN ADVANCE, IF YOU ARE CONTEMPLATING A FAST.

GOOD TOPIC - thank you.

Assalamu Alakium Nashida - I too hope that is correct.

Elizabeth Anne

The fasting of Lent :D Yes, I was raised with a father who is a "kinda" catholic so slightly familiar with this. I've never heard of a story of Lent being a self changing event, so it was very pleasant to know that you gained some great benefits from this; sounds like you found the real beauty with this practice :D Good for you :D. Many do give up things like you said, ie. junk foods etc, which truly does seem to be missing the whole point of the ritual.

Oh, about the Catholic/Christian religions "easing up"; that was, to be honest, what turned me away from it (well that and the priests inablity to explain how the trinity fits into a monotheistic religion". Maybe it was because I was never around an orthodox community who actually practices, but I was wondering how those changes are justified and if there are many who continue to uphold these practices even though considered unnecessary by the church? inshaAllah they are help up by some :D

You know, many people do not think Muslims believe in Issa as (Jesus) but it is a requirement to be a Muslim (to believe in all the Prophets pbuta..from Adam, Moses, Jesus, David etc etc. Too many to list lol). So, there is a lot more cohesion between the Abrahamic faiths than many attest, so some Muslims do use this time to feel closer to Issa as though fasting just for the reason you mentioned.

I'm surprised to hear that you actually did try fasting, I have invited friend to try it just to see what it is like and they are very unreceptive; some people in the USA are WAAAAYYY to attached to their food :P. I'm glad you found something of value within it. In Islam we are allowed to fast pretty much whenever we would like, with the exception of a few days here and there, and we are told not to fast the entire year lol (although some do try the fast of David, which is every other day...very hard. I stick to two days a week); what is the Catholic view on this? Is it permissible for you to fast outside of Lent? I'm intersted in that because some of my friends reasoning behind not trying is because they claimed it would be doing an act of worship outside of their faith, I didn't want to push them at all so I left it at that (I have a problem with evangelicals in any religion lol :P) but I did mention I thought they could do it not for Ramadan but simply as a Catholic/Christian fast. Hmm..just curious about that one :P

UPDATE

Islamic Phrases: Assalamu alaikum

By Huda, About.com Guide

Definition: A common greeting among Muslims, meaning "Peace be with you." The appropriate response is "Wa alaikum assalaam" (And upon you be peace.)

Extended forms include "Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah" (May the peace and mercy of Allah be with you) and "Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh" (May the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be with you).

Pronunciation: as-salam-u-alay-koom

Alternate Spellings: salaam alaykum, assalaam alaykum, assalaam alaikum, and others

FYI everyone

"Peace be with you'" is central in the Catholic Mass - say that to ANY Catholic and they automatically will respond "And also with you" (try it!).

Wiccan is "Blessed Be!" and the response will be the same. (It's like a code word and lets you know the person you addressed is also true Wiccan).

Lizzy

Yeppers :P Just another commonality between the faiths :D I am ecstatic that someone else pointed this out, wonderful :D It was also the greeting of not only Muhammad pbuh, but Issa, Moses, Solomon, etc pbuta. It's a greeting of the Prophets always taught to their followers, sadly many religions (other than orthodox religions) have lost this tradition :(. America is going through what seems like an orthodox reformation though, alhamduillah, so maybe these wonderful traditions of other faiths will be reinstated inshaAllah.

In Islam we beleive we are rewarded with blessings for wishing blessings so the three you mentioned carry different blessings. (Islam kinda counts them in numbers of blessings, as it will be the only "currency" you have on the Day of Judgement") So simply saying Assalamu Alakium receives 10 blessings, Assalamu Alakium wa Rahmatullahi receives 20, and Assalamu Alakium wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh receives 30 blessings...easy way to do a good deed.

Also, side note lol :P simply smiling at a brother/sister or picking up trash is rewarded in our religion so it's not uncommon to see Muslims always smiling while picking up trash..something that, again, is sadly missing from USA

Just a little side note on proper greetings; the Vulcan greeting "Live long and prosper" is supposedly spoken as "Dif-tor heh smusma."

Just thought everyone would want to to know that. :rolleyes:

Carolyn Marie

Oh my gosh! lol haha...my partners parents are really really into Star Trek...both of them speak clingon or something?? So yes, I hear this kind of thing a LOT lol :P

(Peace be with you)

Have a truly meaningful celebration of Ramadan, may it bring you inner peace and closer to Allah.

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

(May the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be with you)

Sally

InshaAllah InshaAllah :P Thank you, JazakAllah Khair

OH! And someone asked me to explain Dawah, dawah is simply helping others to understand Islam, bridge the gap so to speak...as there is a huge misrepresentation of Islam in media and popular culture etc. (ie. Yesterday at the store two guys started shouting Osama Osama lol until I told them I spoke English...lol..they kind quit after that...seriously comical when I get asked where am I from and I say Ohio...never seen soo many shocked faces).

I have to limit my time on the internet in this month, so InshaAllah I can explain Ramadan later. Just checking in. I am really happy that others have chosen to share their fasting experiences, we should all learn to learn from one another inshaAllah. Only helps bridge understanding

Best of wishes

Guest Elizabeth K

This is a rather deep reply but I think anyone reading this needs to clearly understand the 'Christian" view on fasting - and to understand that fasting IS NOT necessarily practicing non- Christian religious practices - a really foolish attitude in my opinion.

Catholic view on fasting - outside of Lenten Season.

I think people misinterpret fastining by not associating it with sacrifice. I will insert an article herein that talks about that in greater detail. BUT specifically, Catholics of the old tradition still observe not eating meat on Fridays (fish and seafood allowed). As a child (I am adult converted Catholic) my Catholic friends would observe this at school. Our public schools found it easiest to just serve fish sticks on Friday - oh my!

So yes - if you are Catholic - the same rules as observed at the Lenten Season, may be observed.

Christian view on fasting - anytime.

Both my sisters and their families are "Born Again" Christian Fundamentalists. They consider me an abomination in the eyes of God, for attempting to transition. But that is for another TOPIC. To say they are radical interpreters of the Bible, is an understatement, BUT - my point? They encourage fasting. So this group that considers the Boy Scouts of America a Communist Organization (they offer the Straight Arrows inside the church, as a substitute) and who home school their children to keep them from evil influences? THEY THINK FASTING is a good idea!

I am former Methodist - and I remember the ministers talking about the benefits of fasting. It is NOT a RAMADAN exclusive thing! And Jesus fasted - a very important part of the Christian Gospels.

NIV BIBLE as a source on this.

This is my favorite study Bible as it has wonderful side notes, in modern written interpretaions.

"Christian fasting - what does the Bible say?"

Answer: Scripture does not command Christians to fast. God does not require or demand it of Christians. At the same time, the Bible presents fasting as something that is good, profitable, and beneficial. The book of Acts records believers fasting before they made important decisions (Acts 13:2; 14:23). Fasting and prayer are often linked together (Luke 2:37; 5:33). Too often, the focus of fasting is on the lack of food. Instead, the purpose of fasting should be to take your eyes off the things of this world to focus completely on God. Fasting is a way to demonstrate to God, and to ourselves, that we are serious about our relationship with Him. Fasting helps us gain a new perspective and a renewed reliance upon God.

Although fasting in Scripture is almost always a fasting from food, there are other ways to fast. Anything given up temporarily in order to focus all our attention on God can be considered a fast (1 Corinthians 7:1-5). Fasting should be limited to a set time, especially when fasting from food. Extended periods of time without eating can be harmful to the body. Fasting is not intended to punish the flesh, but to redirect attention to God. Fasting should not be considered a “dieting method” either. The purpose of a biblical fast is not to lose weight, but rather to gain deeper fellowship with God. Anyone can fast, but some may not be able to fast from food (diabetics, for example). Everyone can temporarily give up something in order to draw closer to God.

By taking our eyes off the things of this world, we can more successfully turn our attention to Christ. Fasting is not a way to get God to do what we want. Fasting changes us, not God. Fasting is not a way to appear more spiritual than others. Fasting is to be done in a spirit of humility and a joyful attitude. Matthew 6:16-18 declares, “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”

So there you are. I won't comment on the Wiccan practices and attitudes toward fasting, as we are such a minority - and I might alienate some people (sound familiar?)

In any case Islam is a beautiful way of life. It has, like any religion, radical elements. These extremeists have certainly given a horrible impression to the 'Christions" (practicing and non-practicing) here in our country. I suspect only the USA Constitution - separation of church and state - has saved the USA from waging many, many Christian 'Holy Wars." Yes - fundamentalism in the Chrstian religion is seemingly on the rise. Let us pray they sellect the true "Christian" values during this renewal, and avoid the creeping radicalsim. Things that seems to be sneaking in, on the "Christian" devils' shirttail...

Ha - long winded reply - yes, I warned you - grin.

And your further explainations - such as the number of credits bestowed - that is so interesting! Please keep adding those explainations! And as a word to the wise? Posting here in the Islam section will protect all of us from detractors. NOTHING stirs up a forum like religion - except maybe politics - GRIN

May peace be with you - and Blessed Be... this sacred month of Islam, and throughout your life.

Elizabeth Anne

Guest Elizabeth K

Okay - I will add this, oh my...

Wicca Ritual - fasting is not the Christian version of sacrifice - rather a purification process:

Perform the initiation on the waxing or full moon. This rite is symbolic of a birth, so you want to approach it as pure as possible. Go skyclad if you can, wear a white robe if you cannot. This is where fasting comes into play. Wiccan fasting usually lasts 24 hours. For these 24 hours, eat only wholegrain bread, honey, and herbal tea. Refrain from sexual activity. Immediately before the ritual, wash your whole body. Add purifying sea salt to this bath.

Initiation is an entry rite. There are many other rites - so this is but an example. PLEASE understand Wicca has NOTHING to do with the devil - it is essentially a worship of the female principlal - God as the GODDESS. It is very purifying - and I find it fits hand in glove with my Catholocism, but has no real connection with Jesus Christ or the Christian Bible, other than it teaches a similar path to salvation of the soul. The Wiccan creed is "Do Only Good."

It is also a new religious practice - less tha a hundred years old. It is a formalization and reorganization of the CRAFT. CRAFT is at least 200,000 years old.

LIZBET

Guest Alice4016

Christian view on fasting - anytime.

Both my sisters and their families are "Born Again" Christian Fundamentalists. To say they are radical interpreters of the Bible, is an understatement,

NIV BIBLE as a source on this.

This is my favorite study Bible as it has wonderful side notes, in modern written interpretaions.

"Christian fasting - what does the Bible say?"

Instead, the purpose of fasting should be to take your eyes off the things of this world to focus completely on God.[/u] Fasting is a way to demonstrate to God, and to ourselves, that we are serious about our relationship with Him. Fasting helps us gain a new perspective and a renewed reliance upon God.

Anything given up temporarily in order to focus all our attention on God can be considered a fast (1 Corinthians 7:1-5).

But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”

So I know I chopped up your quote :( sorry, it would have made for a long reply haha :D Very good information thank you :D I really really like the bit from the "study bible" I believe you said it was? Great Explanation and to be honest, not at all far from what we believe. The only difference I caught was that we fast for God, not Jesus...but this gets into Trinity belief and I actually have no comprehension of this (it kept me from fully embracing Catholicism, and no use in arguing over differences where there is so much similarity :D).

What really struck a chord was the bit about fasting being only for your Father (I"m assuming, maybe incorrectly this is referring to God, not a local priest etc.?); there is a quote from the Quran that "paraphrased" says: "The worshiping acts of the Son's (obviously including women) of Adam are for his kind; while fasting is only for Me". Since you can do many things, ie. prayer, wudu (washing before every prayer), Dhirk (remembrance of Allah swt.) perfectly but only to "show off" as has become the all too often custom of what many of us Islamic Fundamentalists (the group I fall into...don't be scared huge difference from Radicals and Fundamentalists lol) call "Coca Cola Muslims". They do prayer really slowly, really extreme amounts of Dhirk etc and don't know even the meanings of what they are saying..they do it only to show off; although with fasting when nobody is around nothing is stopping you (not even peer pressure) from grabbing a drink or a snack from the pantry; therefore the act can impress nobody and it is only for Allah swt :D I really enjoyed reading that bit of your post :D

I hope you have a happy and peaceful Ramadan

Thank you, jazakallah khair; inshaAllah.

Okay - I will add this, oh my...

Wicca Ritual - fasting is not the Christian version of sacrifice - rather a purification process:

Perform the initiation on the waxing or full moon. This rite is symbolic of a birth, so you want to approach it as pure as possible. Go skyclad if you can, wear a white robe if you cannot. This is where fasting comes into play. Wiccan fasting usually lasts 24 hours. For these 24 hours, eat only wholegrain bread, honey, and herbal tea. Refrain from sexual activity. Immediately before the ritual, wash your whole body. Add purifying sea salt to this bath.

Initiation is an entry rite. There are many other rites - so this is but an example. PLEASE understand Wicca has NOTHING to do with the devil - it is essentially a worship of the female principlal - God as the GODDESS. It is very purifying - and I find it fits hand in glove with my Catholocism, but has no real connection with Jesus Christ or the Christian Bible, other than it teaches a similar path to salvation of the soul. The Wiccan creed is "Do Only Good."

It is also a new religious practice - less tha a hundred years old. It is a formalization and reorganization of the CRAFT. CRAFT is at least 200,000 years old.

LIZBET

I have to be honest I know nothing of Wicca :( It's really one of the only -ism's I never tried before Islam lol. I have nothing against it personally although my religion speaks very negatively of it (so I guess we are kinda guilty of what USA does to us in regards to Wiccan), and I do have a few friends who are Wiccan; but they are extremely afraid to talk to me about their religion and practices. I think they feel that since Islam is extremely against the use of Magic etc. and invoking God's power for your own good (this is the Muslim view of Magic as nothing can happen without God's will, good or bad, so the use of magic we see as almost trying to wield his power yourself). To touch briefly this is a stemming of a lot of the tension between Israel and Islam (lol..yes country vs. religion) because many Zionists (not Jewish people, big misunderstanding even in the Muslim community; we are not against Jewish people we are against Zionists..even Zionist Muslims :P) have roots in Kabalah which in very very short is believed to be ancient magic taught by Jinns (origin of the word Ginnie) to Prophet Solomon pbuh; and has since been recovered from Al-Aqsa Masjid and is in use today. (devils, daemons would be the very very un-close Christian understanding of Jinns as there really is nothing in Christianity that resembles jinns exactly this is the closest I could think of... as they can be both good and bad, but are not Angles..lol..to much for this post :P).

Okay got off subject lol. I am all about learning others beliefs it's what I'm going to college for lol..comparative religions ;P. So please do not feel shy of sharing, as maybe if I can get positive information; when the topic comes up I can maybe inshaAllah just a little help a few local Muslims at least understand that it's not awful, scary, and evil (which I am sad to admit is the overall opinion of scholars) :(. If not it never hurts to enrich my own understanding :D

The bathing before a ritual also sounds very similar to one of our practices call Wudu or Ablution; which is suprising as I don't think any other religion has anything similar :D Nice to see one that does use this idea of ritual purification before worship :D. For Wudu, which we do before every prayer, act of worship, or even touching the Quran, we wash our hands three times (every action mentioned will start with the right as it is Sunnah (habit) of the Prophet), then our mouths three times, sniff water into our nose three times, wash our face three times, then your arms up to the elbows three times each, run water over your hair from scalp to ends, wash our ears, and then finally your feet being sure to clean between your toes. :D It feels great and keeps you clean since you do it at least five times a day (Muslims are very fastidious lol).

You mentioned washing your whole body, is there any specific way in which you do this? We have a ritual similar to this called Gushul that we do after sexual intercourse, etc that is the same as Wudu except at the end you wash your privates and have water touch all of your body; just curious about the Wiccan bathing parts lol..everything really..but you mentioned those specifically :P

Okay this is getting way to long :P I think at my next use of the internet (lol..really trying to regulate it as I don't have classes at the moment and are trying to focus on Islam...just use the internet to discuss this etc :P) I'll post some more about what Ramadan is actually about as far as rituals etc; and maybe open a thread to discuss the difference between Fundamentalist, Liberal, and Radical Islam where people can ask questions inshaAllah and have a better understanding of these misunderstood terms.

BTW is there a Wiccan forums I can ask questions in? Not sure if the Muslim would be welcomed in the Wiccan forum lol?

• 1 year later...

wow I can't believe there's another Muslimah on here :o please we HAVE to get in contact over email or something, I have a lot of conflicting feelings mainly because of my lacking in finding a reputable fatwa on this topic, please can you help me out if you're still active on this forum, I know this is kind of late of a reply but I hope it's not too late! :(

Edited by Carolyn Marie
Unable to translate Arabic greeting. Site rules require English

wow I can't believe there's another Muslimah on here :o please we HAVE to get in contact over email or something, I have a lot of conflicting feelings mainly because of my lacking in finding a reputable fatwa on this topic, please can you help me out if you're still active on this forum, I know this is kind of late of a reply but I hope it's not too late! :(

Sorry! It just means peace and blessings be with you :) I really hope I get a reply some time!

• Admin

Sorry! It just means peace and blessings be with you :) I really hope I get a reply some time!

I figured it was something like that, Ley. Sorry, I couldn't find a program that would translate it.

The original poster, Alice, has not been here for some time. Hopefully we have some other Muslim members. Take care.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

I figured it was something like that, Ley. Sorry, I couldn't find a program that would translate it.

The original poster, Alice, has not been here for some time. Hopefully we have some other Muslim members. Take care.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Well it has been a few months I just hope I can find her email address or contact details :(

Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord.

Laura Jane

Thank you from the kind wishes, :) I just wanted to remind you that we all share the same message from God almighty as Abrahamic faiths and I deeply adhere to the way of Jesus, peace be upon him, in my everyday life. I just hope I can find a solution to my gender identity problem :).

Peace ;)

p.s. does anyone know how I can get hold of Nashida's email address? I only see a send message function but she mentioned email on her profile :(, i know she isn't active here any more but people don't change emails often right? no harm in trying at least :( ty

• 1 year later...
Guest Delphinus

Ahlan Nashida,

Could you please explain the proper way to fast for Ramazan? I've only fasted once (many years ago with someone I loved very much who was from Iran) but this year, I'd like to fast with my friends. :)

Salaam,

Del