• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Dr Phil: The Jerry Springer Of Psychology

On Tuesday April 29th, 2008 Dr Phil took a transgender woman apart on his show. I wrote an article about it:

http://www.lauras-playground.com/drphil_sp..._psychology.htm . At no point did he address the non acceptance by the family which was the root of the issue. He missed an oppotunity to educate. Instead he riled up the crowd with his lead in ad to the show. He acted more like the Ringleader of a circus then the un-licensed PSychologist he is. He offended the entire Transgender Community.

I for one am boycotting his show and his advertisers.

Laura

Guest Snow Angel

Oh Gosh darned, I missed it. My mom watches that garbage every day, too. Best of luck fighting that battle. Mr. Phil (I'm not going to call him Dr.) has the ignorant masses on his side.

Guest Drew

:angry: :angry: :angry: grrrrrr...that's all i'm capable of saying without being borderline hostile.

i am all for boycotting his show and his products/advertisers

Drew :angry:

• Root Admin

I don't watch that show because the man is a charlatan, quack and a fake. And those are just the nice things I can say about him. He and Jerry Springer are only out to make a buck at the expense of unfortunate individuals who are having a hard time coping with events in their lives.

MaryEllen :angry:

Guest Jack Solomon

I am disappointed, but not surprised. I have noticed that the lead-in ads to Dr. Phil's show have grown more and more sensationalized and are frequently misleading. He does not seem to have a good handle on whatever type of 'therapy' he's trying for and his methods seem poorly practiced on the show itself. I am actually glad I didn't catch the episode because it probably would have just gotten me more angry and disgusted that it was even aired where hundreds of thousands of people could watch it.

Oprah at least seems much more respectful of transsexuals and other people in the transgendered community by far. Montel was another day-time host who seemed very respectful towards transgendered and transsexual individuals and has in the past aired several key shows I applaud him for. He rarely missed an opportunity to educate whenever possible with his shows on the topic. Unfortunately if I remember correctly he recently announced he was no longer going to do new episodes for his show.

Solomon

Guest StrandedOutThere

Dr. Phil makes me so angry! He is an embarrassment to psychology professionals everywhere, even though he is no more a psychologist than Queen Elizabeth is a basketball player. His show is a total farce. It makes me sad that so many impressionable people actually listen to the guy.

Guest Chris_421

Ahh, the episode I saw my mom watching. Bleh. It was all about how the transwoman wasn't understanding their side, but from what I seen, "Dr" Phil made her look out to be the bad one in the situation.

Guest Leah1026
On Tuesday April 29th, 2008 Dr Phil took a transgender woman apart on his show. I wrote an article about it:

http://www.lauras-playground.com/drphil_sp..._psychology.htm . At no point did he address the non acceptance by the family which was the root of the issue. He missed an oppotunity to educate. Instead he riled up the crowd with his lead in ad to the show. He acted more like the Ringleader of a circus then the un-licensed PSychologist he is. He offended the entire Transgender Community.

I for one am boycotting his show and his advertisers.

Laura

Nothing new with Dr Phil. He doesn't have a clue and yet he has a cult-like following. :rolls eyes: <_<

It's clear his Professional peers don't think much of him. Even though he does have a Doctoral degree in Psychotherapy (but no license) and should have a sense of responsibility. He has an audience of millions and I imagine some of those were Transgender whose hopes he took away for a treatable medical condition. TG People who are on the edge of suicide didn't need the push over the edge that he may have given them. With Jerry Spinger people expect an outragous Circus ringmaster right sown to getting the crowd worked up. With Dr. Phil though they expect to get help and answers. His ad for that show looked more like the leadin to a prizefight in the world of wrestling. You already knew whose side he was in before she even spoke. He was deriding her for her appearance by billing it as the "Shocking tranformation from male to female" with the crowd roaring it's disapproval at his urging in his ad. The ad focused on her size and even her walk showing a leg closeup to make a point. He admonished her that it was her (he said his) her fault for transitioning like it was a choice. It was a medically approved treatment and requirement. The family hadn't see her because they could not accept the change. They wanted their dad back and obviously didn't care about her needs at all. If he had worked on getting the family to accept her as she was the problem would have been resolved. Instead he blamed her for even getting treatment referring to her by her male name.

Dr phil took an opportunity to educate and instead used his crowd to promote more bigotry than was there all ready. When people stop supporting the advertisers on his show only then will things change. More than one advertiser has stopping supporting and canceled shows for showing bigotry towards one group or another. The best place to hit Dr Phil is to hit his advertisers pocketbooks. If you can't get people to do the right thing just yelling about it isn't enough. Using economic means can often make more of a difference.

Laura

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest Aeron

Did Dr. Phil, BY CHANCE, mention any books he's selling? :lol:

The man is a quack, I liken him to a preacher. Rehearsed. Terribly uninformed.

Aeron

at least Jerry Springer has a history you can laugh at...was the mayor of Cincinnati, had to resign becasue he was caught hiring a prostitute (he was also trying to pass some anti-prostitution thing at the time, i believe) and had to resign because of it...and plus, his show's more white trash...something you can barely take seriously to begin with (i.e a large man in nothing but his underwear singing love songs to the girlfriend of his bestfriend who is secretely having an affair with a card-counting crossdresser that he met while at a comic convention in Las Vegas)..."Dr" Phil on the other hand has his show set up like a serious talk show (which it is not) and some peope are led to believe that he is legitimate...or even worse...intelligent.

oh, sorry was that mean? :rolleyes:

Guest Chrissie
"Dr" Phil on the other hand has his show set up like a serious talk show (which it is not) and some peope are led to believe that he is legitimate...or even worse...intelligent.

Dr. Phil has had a lot of things handed to him Brains, Talent for Psychotherapy, Regard from peers are not amongst them.

The fact that he has a cult like following is scary. The fact that people think he's legit or intelligent is worse... Does that cover our mean quota enough for you? And these attachment if you are reading this 'Dr.' Phil is for you... and your hussy friend Dr. Laura :P

Guest Wendy
at least Jerry Springer has a history you can laugh at...was the mayor of Cincinnati, had to resign becasue he was caught hiring a prostitute (he was also trying to pass some anti-prostitution thing at the time, i believe) and had to resign because of it...and plus, his show's more white trash...something you can barely take seriously to begin with (i.e a large man in nothing but his underwear singing love songs to the girlfriend of his bestfriend who is secretely having an affair with a card-counting crossdresser that he met while at a comic convention in Las Vegas)..."Dr" Phil on the other hand has his show set up like a serious talk show (which it is not) and some peope are led to believe that he is legitimate...or even worse...intelligent.

wipes coke off screen from laughing

Guest jantonio

LOL :lol:

I totally agree with you Drew...

Jose Antonio...

i'm glad my post made people laugh :) ...i've been looking through things i posted last night to make sure i didn't write anything horribly offensive...i was more than a little tipsy :blush:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

And.........the problem is he keeps gaining larger audiance share and notoriety. He doesn't spew hate, he subtely bend his target audience to his prejudice point o fview. He is much worse than the blatant hate mongers like Limbaugh or Coulter. His veneer is his professional credentials{which have been revoked} and his soft talking demeanor.

The man should be discredid by his peers the way Joe McCarthy was in the 1950's

"Have you no shame!" That was the key phrase., that banned that Charltan to limbo. Mia.

Guest Elizabeth K

This is an old topic but Mia's posting brought it up to the front. I am not sure whom I have the least respect for, Jerry Springer (to our embarrasment here in New Orleans, a graduate of Tulane University) or Dr. Phil (a graduate of just being @#$@#*% STUPID AND OBNOXIOUS. :mad::mad::mad:

Hummmm.... I guess I despise Dr. Phil most. Whadda ya know... :rolleyes:

His promotion - originally on Opera - dropped Opra Winfrey from my A+++ list of wonderful people on this earth to D minus. Only recently have I been able to take her seriously again. <_<

Just don't mention Martha Stewart... or the Conservative Religious Right :blink:

HUMMMMM - some strong feeling emerging there, Lizzy - I am sure they always say something nice about you! :lol:

I was always told that if you couldn't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all!

Now about Dr. Phil ---

Well, let's see, there's ---

And then ---

Love ya,

Sally

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Emily.SoCal
This is an old topic but Mia's posting brought it up to the front. I am not sure whom I have the least respect for, Jerry Springer (to our embarrasment here in New Orleans, a graduate of Tulane University) or Dr. Phil (a graduate of just being @#$@#*% STUPID AND OBNOXIOUS. :mad::mad::mad:

Don't feel bad Elizabeth, I grew up in Cincinnati where Jerry Springer was the *mayor* for a number of years! And you know how he lost his job? He got caught paying a prostitute for sex. You know how he got caught? He paid her with a personal check! Unbelievable.

Guest Emily.SoCal

Am I the only one surrounded by smart, highly educated, open-minded, pro-diversity and left-leaning people who think Dr. Phil is a saint? I don't get it, he's ultra-conservative and it inappropriately colors every other thing that comes out of his mouth. He doesn't know how to keep his bias out of his "diagnoses" and "prognoses". And half the time it seems like he's using human suffering for his own grandstanding and self-righteousness. Ugh, I really don't like him.

Dr. Phil is a great source for old country sayings, but so was Mini Pearl and she never claimed to be trying to help anybody.

Dr. Phil's approach to psycology is who ever yells the loudest is right.

I am reminded of Will Rogers who once said (OMG another quote), "When I say something stupid - it's a joke, when congress says something stupid - it's a law."

The point is, if you claim to be trying to help people you should really think about everything before you say it.