• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Where Are Our Veterans Hiding ?

Guest SharleahLynn

There are many veterans among us who are afraid to speak up about their service. I wonder why they fear speaking? You should be proud to reach out and let us know that you are here among us. It matters not if you had a good time of service or not. The fact is you served your country.You took the world on on their grounds .You played the game of letting the Armed Forces try their hand of making a man/woman out of you and showed them they failed in the task. You proved that you are your real self, and the Military could not change you from who you are.

Each Veteran needs to stand up and be recognised for the job they did , and not hide behind some curtain ,ashamed of who you are for some unknown reason . Be not ashamed of yourself, come forward and introduce you to the rest of our Veterans. We are here to help each other with our troubles and to offer one another a shoulder to lean on when it is needed. It matters not what type of separation one receives .What does matter is the fact there are those of us who took it upon ourselves to step up and serve our country as we could , the best way we could. Come on and let the rest of us know you who have not introduced theirselves as of yet.

SharleahLynn

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlize

• Bulldog1948

• Alyssa Deutsch

• SecretlyJessica

Guest SharleahLynn

This is unreal , is there really that much fear about us ? Please Veterans , fear not , come join in here , let us here from you . SharleahLynn

Guest jessi72

Hello,

I'm Jessi and I was a member of the 1135th engineer battalion out of Jefferson Barracks, MO. I served in 91 to 93 and I was a communications maintainer 31V. I am glad to see others here and yes, I have been afraid to speak up. Not sure why, I guess it's just a me thing. I stayed stateside durring Desert Storm but got my share of sand out of radios. I am glad to see that I am not alone and that you all have a way of making everyone feel welcome. Thanks to all that served before me and all that served after. Because of you all we have a great country. I just wish they were a little more accepting of people like me (us). I guess that is it for now.

Thanks,

Jessi

Guest SharleahLynn
Hello,

I'm Jessi and I was a member of the 1135th engineer battalion out of Jefferson Barracks, MO. I served in 91 to 93 and I was a communications maintainer 31V. I am glad to see others here and yes, I have been afraid to speak up. Not sure why, I guess it's just a me thing. I stayed stateside durring Desert Storm but got my share of sand out of radios. I am glad to see that I am not alone and that you all have a way of making everyone feel welcome. Thanks to all that served before me and all that served after. Because of you all we have a great country. I just wish they were a little more accepting of people like me (us). I guess that is it for now.

Thanks,

Jessi

Jessica,

Like I told you in the chatroom, we are Veterans . We need to be respected as any other Veteran . We joined, we served to protect the same people wyho shun us , but we still go forward. Some of us hold our head very high and dare unaccepting people to open their mouth. Then there are those of us that are trying to maintain a low profile. I am one who dares unaccepting people to say something, lets band together and make all Trans Veterans the same as this. ......Salute SharleahLynn

Guest SharleahLynn

You all probably think I am trying to be some hardcore Bad Girl by trying to get our Vets to wake up and be recognized for their stepping up and doing a duty that many look down on . That matters not. I want to meet all of our Veterans in here and one day in real life. So please bring yourselves forward and be recognized , you have nothing to fear or be ashamed of . You did a duty, and are around to tell of it . Just think of those who cannot tell of their service and the price THEY paid so all others could be safe and free from some brave acting little hole in the wall country can come invade us . Think on that people, think long and hard about this . Then come be saluted and recognized . I am tired of begging for our unspoken Veterans to step forward , you all deserve to be noted for what you DID do. SharleahLynn

I am a prior member of the !st Cav. Div.

Guest VLee

I'll post once for you Shar. I didn't enjoy my time in and just don't like talking about it.

I was in from 86-7 stationed in Nurnberg, Germany with the 16th Eng. Bat. as a combat engineer. Nurnberg was nice though.

Guest SharleahLynn
I'll post once for you Shar. I didn't enjoy my time in and just don't like talking about it.

I was in from 86-7 stationed in Nurnberg, Germany with the 16th Eng. Bat. as a combat engineer. Nurnberg was nice though.

Whether the time was enjoyed or not is not my issue, what is , is the fact that all our Veterans need to stand up and declare the fact that .... "Hey, I served my country". I AM a Veteran because there are some people that would shun a

Veteran. There are spitters , name callers, and many other types that I cannot name right off. Although you may not have enjoyed the time you were in , at least be proud of the fact that you stepped up and DID serve your country, and you did it with honor and dignity.

SharleahLynn

Guest Bethany

I am a cold war Veteran, of 2 separate 4 year enlistments. My time in took place during what was considered a time of peace. I recieve no benefits from being a veteran.

/hugs Bethany

I have posted here a few times. I was in the service from 1971-1974. I also marched in the last 2 Vets day parades with American Veterans for Equal Rights. My three years of military service is something that I'm proud of.

Gennee

:D

Guest SharleahLynn
I am a cold war Veteran, of 2 separate 4 year enlistments. My time in took place during what was considered a time of peace. I recieve no benefits from being a veteran.

/hugs Bethany

Regardless of serving during the cold war or other time , you should have Veterans benefits. I would look into this if I were you hon, you have the right to get your benefits . You stepped up and served your country, so you deserve to have the benefits . Fight for them. I salute you for your service and dedication to keep this country free.

SharleahLynn

Guest Sheila

hi SharleahLynn ,

i joined the navy in early 75 but was kicked out within a year so i don't deserve reconition with these fine men and woman who completed their service. it's a part of my past but i was messed up when i was 17. my parents signed the papers to let me join. i have the upmost respect for our vets here and don't feel right claiming vet status.

sheila :(

Guest Nadeest

I am a veteran, Sharleah. I served in the USMC from 76 - 79, and then from 80 - 82.

There are many veterans among us who are afraid to speak up about their service. I wonder why they fear speaking? You should be proud to reach out and let us know that you are here among us. It matters not if you had a good time of service or not. The fact is you served your country.You took the world on on their grounds .You played the game of letting the Armed Forces try their hand of making a man/woman out of you and showed them they failed in the task. You proved that you are your real self, and the Military could not change you from who you are.

Each Veteran needs to stand up and be recognised for the job they did , and not hide behind some curtain ,ashamed of who you are for some unknown reason . Be not ashamed of yourself, come forward and introduce you to the rest of our Veterans. We are here to help each other with our troubles and to offer one another a shoulder to lean on when it is needed. It matters not what type of separation one receives .What does matter is the fact there are those of us who took it upon ourselves to step up and serve our country as we could , the best way we could. Come on and let the rest of us know you who have not introduced theirselves as of yet.

SharleahLynn

Sharleah guess I should post. United States Marine Corps 1966 thru 1994 retired No I'm am not hiding nor am I ashamed of my service. Cathie

Guest SharleahLynn

I salute you Lt. Col. Cathie . You my home girl hon.

SharleahLynn

I am proud to in some remote way to know each of you . Even if it is only by your post here . Each of ya'll are very special people in my eyes and in my heart.

Sheila, How long you served makes no difference, the fact remains that you stepped up to serve . That takes more true grit than refusing to step up and doing what is right. I salute each of you for the fact that you each took it upon yourself to do your part to keep America free from foriegn powers overtaking us and destroying our freedom such as it is .

Never think you do not deserve recognition for protecting those who shun us for who we are.

SharleahLynn

Guest SharleahLynn
hi SharleahLynn,

thanks for the kind words. gives me a nice warm feeling inside.

hugs,

sheila

Glad to have you on board G/F. SharleahLynn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Donna A

The Iraq Vet's have help the RVN vets come out of the closet and be proud of our service to our country and not be ashamed of who we are! :D

Guest Chad Micheals

i'm a vet. but i'm also still in... i love being in and i'm hoping to do my 20 yrs...

i'm an army boy and prode to be in.... i'm in gremany.. i love it over here, i'm going to iarq in nov and i'll be coming home to my grl..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Valentine

I served in Zirndorf in the 6th Bn 1st Artillery Brigade in 87-88, and yes Nurnberg was nice.

Sheila, unless you did something to deliberately get kicked out, you have nothing to be worried about. My eldest brother didn't finish his enlistment due to his eyesight, and I didn't finish mine because of a pre-existing knee problem.

Guest SharleahLynn

The fact remains that you all stepped up, did the honorable thing and served this nation to keep the freedom we all cherish intact. We all protected everyone in some way, even those who did not enter a zone of conflict. Take the time to think of those who stepped up , went to protect , and did not return to those loved ones left behind. Or those who have returned with limbs missing , or brains scrambled . They paid a huge price to do what some of us caught easy . Just food for thought . SharleahLynn

• Forum Moderator
The fact remains that you all stepped up, did the honorable thing and served this nation to keep the freedom we all cherish intact. We all protected everyone in some way, even those who did not enter a zone of conflict. Take the time to think of those who stepped up , went to protect , and did not return to those loved ones left behind. Or those who have returned with limbs missing , or brains scrambled . They paid a huge price to do what some of us caught easy . Just food for thought . SharleahLynn

A few weeks ago, we lost an area young soldier in Iraq. I think he was only 22, nice looking young man. The ironic part is that his dad,brothers,uncles and cousins are doing time in prison for murder,drugs and a lot of other different crimes. This young man seemed to be the only decent one in the family.

They had one huge funeral for this boy. Close 300 folks at the church. Then they had a 65 mile procession to the graveyard. There were flags placed just about every 3 feet along the route; close to 35-40,000 flags. There were approximately 75 bikers and 50+ cars. And, the highest honor was paid to this young man, when my friend - who is a Congressional Medal of Honor winner rode in the hearse with him. Old folks, young kids,vets and non-vets lined the hiway. It was quite an awesome sight.

We have a grandson,a Captin [ first wave into Bagdad] and his wife is a Capyin in the 82nd in Afghanistand.

Bulldog

• Forum Moderator

SharleahLynn,

I have a personal question to ask you. I do not want to offend you in any way, so here goes. And, if you prefer to make your comments private, just shoot me a Pm. When you were in the service, did you know that you were intersexed? And, if you did- how did you and the military handle the situation? And,please, I'm not asking this to be a smarta$$ either.

Bulldog

Guest SharleahLynn
SharleahLynn,

I have a personal question to ask you. I do not want to offend you in any way, so here goes. And, if you prefer to make your comments private, just shoot me a Pm. When you were in the service, did you know that you were intersexed? And, if you did- how did you and the military handle the situation? And,please, I'm not asking this to be a smarta$$ either.

Bulldog

I do not look at this as being a smartass, just you are asking a valid question. While I was serving , yes I knew , but the Army did not, if they had known , they would have slapped a DD on me quicker than you can bat your eyes.Therefore , they knew nothing of my situation. But as all know , I was DAMM proud to step up and do my duty . I hope this answers your query.

SharleahLynn

• 1 month later...
Guest Michele H

I served from 70 - 78 in the Army Security Agency - which later became part of INSCOM. I was really really in the closet then (would have lost security clearance in a heart beat). I was stationed at Kagnew station Eritrea, Sinop Turkey, Ft Mead and finally Arlington Hall. I was also in the reserves during desert storm. My unit was next up to go over when it all ended. I enjoyed my tours in Eritrea and Turkey and don't regret any of it.

• 1 month later...

Ok I have been a bit lax in my attention to this area of the forums..

I tried twice to serve our wonderful country and it ended the same way both times. 2 seperate contracts Intel analist and Air Traffic Control

The first time I was supposed to have a 6 year contract. The screwed part is during the 6th week of Basic Training I fell over someone during a morning run and injured my knee. I maid it past Basic to my AIT and was discharged there for that injury. When I got home I wound up seeing a Orthopedic Surgeon who found out that my Cartilage in that knee was torn and after the repair/removal of the miniscus and a Year and a half wait I re-enlisted.

My second enlistment{5 years} lasted longer but again I messed up my body this time tearing the rotator cuff of my shoulder and aggrivating the same knee injury. This time I actually completed my training but was discharged again under a Medical Evaluation Board because I could not pass a APFT test and Physical Therapy was not helping.

Of the combined 11 year contracts I actually served 2 years. There are times where I feel cheated and I really want to go back, but I know that my body will not wihtstand the beating that the training.

If there were some way to fix the genitic issues I have I would re-enlist in half a heart beat.